how do i start? how to get a taste?

Gloo

Good day everybody! i'm totally lost and i really feel blue.
i started to be interested in watches not so long ago, and just discovered that i have no idea what actually a good watch is. it seemed to me so simple and i thought that there is no big deal to choosing the watch that you want, you just have to choose and that's all. i find myself completely lost.
i don't even think that i have a taste.. i meant i think that once you love watches you just need to have a taste no?
i feel like a like everything... and im scared that maybe some watches are just crap...

im like,, i like this one and this one and this one twoo.:confused:

Wervelf

Hello, and welcome to the club.
Don't feel sad about what you are experiencing. These are the first steps and soon after reading and analyzing more info you are going to come up with some new ideas. After some time, you are going to get some sensations of satisfaction over some models and others aren't going to look so attractive. You can start by responding to some of the basic questions yourself.
1. what shapes for the watches i like? is it more about a round or maybe something more unusual
2. what do i need from the watch: to look good, to offer some functions, or maybe to both
3. do i like classic watches that are possible to combine with a different style or I'm more sporty?

Maybe it is a cliche, but you know there is one thing that is working on everybody. It is to start with some Rolex adventures.
Rolex is one of the basic brands. I don't know how they do this but they are doing a great job. generally, there are few people that can tell that they don't like Rolexes. Try to look up some Rolexes from women. You can find them on the official website. If you like something just come back and write about your tour experience. This way, we are going to create the portrait of your preferences. Greetings.

ArnoldTHEgreat

hi there @Gloo!
Don't you worry, it can happen even to a seasoned watch enthusiast to get lost in the multitude of available watches, especially when there is a new release... so, tour feeling is pretty ok for that hobby. Th watch industry evolves constantly and even if we think we know it everything, we can get lost in some ew features, terms etc. the above mentioned recommendation is a great start to begin with. Also, I'd add you to read some basic terms and definitions frequently met in watches, like types of complications, bezels, etc.. gradually, you're going to get familiar with different types of dials, forms, functions, and you won't even realize when the Taste appears. you will discover different types of dials, like skeleton, open heart, or clean dials, and will resonate with one of them for sure. After that, go to the movement types and try to figure out if you are ok with a manually winding one or a simpler quartz. manual ones are not applied mathematics of course, but still require some basic knowledge. further is easier.

indeed, makes sense to begin with a Rolex, and gradually move to other brands, having the Rolex as a basic comparison point. it's gone be fine, trust me

Gloo

@ArnoldTHEgreat I just started to go with the idea of introducing basic concepts in my life. i know that i cant just go without knowing parts of the watch. i think that for now as a beginner im pretty good at this. the idea of so many types of watches and a variation of them is what makes me think that im actually not that good enough. i think that i just dont have a definite taste. like there are a lot of newbies that i personally know, that at least know what they like. they may be not that found about characteristics but they can point and say, well this one is not for me. i just cant do it:( it is like i just dont know if the one that i see is for me or maybe is not for me.. i like it or not.. this is the question. it is like i don't know what to like.. how is it even possible?

Gloo

@ArnoldTHEgreat @Wervelf thank you to both for the Rolex idea.
Honestly, this is not the first time I hear about this. maybe you are right. it can be a good idea go with this some Rolex models. There is the same problem with liking all of them but ok. 😬 im going to choose one randomly one that seems to be a good choice to beginn with and im going to concentrate on finding the best replica version. hope it works

bagaBOO57335

after Rolex, go n with the most famous watch brands, Patek, Breitling, Vacheron, tag Heuer. take it gradually and follow your taste. most of watch lovers know that tag heuer is a marvellous brand but not all of them resonate with its watches, for examples. so get what you like.
why with famous brands? because the rep factories have imitated them a million times and have improved them to decent quality levels

Cacktoos

hi, @Gloo. I'm in the same boat with u!
I've discovered the replica realm not so long ago and feel like a bit confused in all that happens in it. I think it will take some time until we get familiar with it and soon will become as experts as the majority of users here πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
following the thread.... curious about all the comments...

since 'm with the football passion, Daytona Rainbow Rose Gold 116595RBOW is the very first reps I'm thinking to get. Antoine Grizmann French player seems to have one of those... and I'm planning to get all the reps my favourite football players have.... will I ever see that dream come true?!:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

PpiroJookK88735

consider your wardrobe and lifestyle also. sometimes we love certain watches but when we get them, we realize we don't have the right circumstance to wear it. if your more with casual style, focus on versatile models. if the formal/office style is more about u, look at the formal watches with leather strap and minimalist faces.
your first watches have to be "wearable", when you get enough of them, you can switch to those that are just foe your guilty pleasure πŸ˜‰

diaboliquerye

probably every watch lover has the same confusion at the beginning of the road...
at least, I was just like you. to me, the most right way is to begin with something for the daily wear, something to use comfortable. then, go on with something g formal to have for the special occasions. so one watch of every style. then, things are gonna become easier as you'll figure it out what goes well and what does wrong. like complications, case shape, dimensions ,etc...

Sunnybunny

welcome to the club @Gloo 😎
I'm also at the "my first rep" stage))
also was a bit confused with the plenty of suggestions, forums, and google articles about "how to start", but decided to go the simple and easiest way: a Rolex. my first re is going to be a Rolex, without many cmplications a features. a modest, and cheap version. don't expect much from a cheap version, but it will be like my "departing" experience. I hope to get the most with my first experience and at least, will know what is wrong with a cheap rep. and who knows, maybe cheap reps aren't as bad as people say)
sp my advice to you is to begin with the beginning: get yourself something to your liking and not very complicated. gradually, increase it considering. the pros and the cons from your previous experience. Cheers! πŸ˜‰

YuliusMeinl

what's that crazy idea of "i don't even think that i have a taste"?????? the taste can be developed gradually)) and you n't have to think that way. you do!!! no matter what you like, it's your own taste and all of us has a certain watchmaking brand to satisfy our out preferences πŸ™ƒ

some people don't like bell & ross watches saying that the brand doesn't have enough taste for designing watches) the brand gives a shit on these opinion and keeps designing watches, fabulous watches by the way, to find its customers) it's just an example to make you believe in yourself and no mater where you start from, be sure that it identifies you...

just stop overthinking and get yourself what your heart likes. even if you screw it up, it's part of the process and you will know that to NOT take next time, and so on, until you become a pro 😁

petrucho^^

it's impossible to not have a taste especially in the replica watch hobby.ere it is why)))...
the replica industry makes reps of the most iconic watchmaking brands: Rolex, Patek, Tag Heuer, omega and so on... you know... so, technically, whichever you choose, is gonna be a good selection, more or less. others opinion about your selection should leave you indifferent 😁 whenever you get a rep from a resounding brand, that's always a sign of a good taste )))) get it??!))))

now, go on with what you want for the daily wear. get yourself something practical, minimalist for the beginning, tu understand how it all works. and the further u go, the simpler it gets..🀌😁😁

DoctorWHO

when I got my first watches, I drew attention to practicality and utility. I wanted smth for the daily use. snd the only features to consider were the bracelet and the dial with its functions. nothing more than that. so, my 3 watches are Nordgreen Pioneer, Seiko SNE032 Two-Tone Solar and Victorinox Fieldforce Quartz 24185. now that ive got enough of everyday watches, I look for smth more sophisticated.

that's what I can tell you about how and where to start: begin with smth modest, according to your budget and drop your standards

Gloo

welcome to the club @Gloo 😎
I'm also at the "my first rep" stage))
also was a bit confused with the plenty of suggestions, forums, and google articles about "how to start", but decided to go the simple and easiest way: a Rolex. my first re is going to be a Rolex, without many cmplications a features. a modest, and cheap version. don't expect much from a cheap version, but it will be like my "departing" experience. I hope to get the most with my first experience and at least, will know what is wrong with a cheap rep. and who knows, maybe cheap reps aren't as bad as people say)
sp my advice to you is to begin with the beginning: get yourself something to your liking and not very complicated. gradually, increase it considering. the pros and the cons from your previous experience. Cheers! πŸ˜‰
This is not the first time that somebody tells me to go with Rolex. Maybe I'm a little bit complicated and this is why I just can't decide which one is going to be the best. It is all about the taste.. at least I understand that you know what is your taste if you say that you are sure about the Rolex that you want to have. This is kind of a problem for me actually, I don't even know which Rolex I would like to have.

Of course, there are some models that I don't like, but if you compare them with the models that I like, it is kind of a lot and kind of confusing:censored:

Gloo

hi, @Gloo. I'm in the same boat with u!
I've discovered the replica realm not so long ago and feel like a bit confused in all that happens in it. I think it will take some time until we get familiar with it and soon will become as experts as the majority of users here πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
following the thread.... curious about all the comments...

since 'm with the football passion, Daytona Rainbow Rose Gold 116595RBOW is the very first reps I'm thinking to get. Antoine Grizmann French player seems to have one of those... and I'm planning to get all the reps my favourite football players have.... will I ever see that dream come true?!:unsure::unsure::unsure:
I can't say that I'm actually that into football but the model that you mentioned is beautiful. I've been dealing with a lot of signs telling me that I have to go with Rolex and seems that for a newbie Rolex is the best first option. Some people told me that starting with a Rolex model is like a tradition already. Here on this forum, I had it confirmed. The only thing lasting is deciding which Rolex from a lot of models out there I would like to go with. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.

Wervelf

This is not the first time that somebody tells me to go with Rolex. Maybe I'm a little bit complicated and this is why I just can't decide which one is going to be the best. It is all about the taste.. at least I understand that you know what is your taste if you say that you are sure about the Rolex that you want to have. This is kind of a problem for me actually, I don't even know which Rolex I would like to have.

Of course, there are some models that I don't like, but if you compare them with the models that I like, it is kind of a lot and kind of confusing:censored:
It can actually be an even better thing to do. First of all, this means that you can a lot of models that you like, well screw everything, tap on the first model from Rolex that you like, and try it. you are going to start with reps and this is the beauty of it. You can always go and try another one. If you say that all the models are equally amazing for you, just tap on the first on your list and try it. After some time, you are going to tap on another one. When you are going to have at least two models, you are going to see the difference. One of them is going to look better on your wrist somehow, and one of them can take more room in your heart. Some colors can be more for you than others, but all of this can be understood and accomplished only if you try.

You mentioned Omega. For sure this can be a good start too. Omega is an amazing brand. It is not like totally defined that you have to go with Rolex and nothing else. You can choose one Rolex and one Omega. Make a list and make a random selection of two models. Try them together. one day of Rolex one of Omega. Just this is why you are going to truly understand your taste.
After this, you can choose the other two. when you are going to predefine your taste with Omega and Rolex, you can go for other brands that are more complicated to find as reps. This is just an idea. :)

Gloo

It can actually be an even better thing to do. First of all, this means that you can a lot of models that you like, well screw everything, tap on the first model from Rolex that you like, and try it. you are going to start with reps and this is the beauty of it. You can always go and try another one. If you say that all the models are equally amazing for you, just tap on the first on your list and try it. After some time, you are going to tap on another one. When you are going to have at least two models, you are going to see the difference. One of them is going to look better on your wrist somehow, and one of them can take more room in your heart. Some colors can be more for you than others, but all of this can be understood and accomplished only if you try.

You mentioned Omega. For sure this can be a good start too. Omega is an amazing brand. It is not like totally defined that you have to go with Rolex and nothing else. You can choose one Rolex and one Omega. Make a list and make a random selection of two models. Try them together. one day of Rolex one of Omega. Just this is why you are going to truly understand your taste.
After this, you can choose the other two. when you are going to predefine your taste with Omega and Rolex, you can go for other brands that are more complicated to find as reps. This is just an idea. :)
Goodddd idea actually.:love:

Considering that I still can't decide which one is going to be better, the option of random Omega and random Rolex model can be actually for me. I can go like this for a longer time till I'm going to feel good enough to know which one is my taste. I'm not sure that I'm going to do it, but for now, these two can be an option. For the next choice, I'm going to ask here your advice. Thank you.

Cincinnati

for me the journey begun when I started to abstract from everything that the world around me dictated. At one point, I became sick & tired of everyone telling me which watches are current, which are no longer in vogue, which are trendy and which are not..... but I felt a completely different opinion and I couldn't find myself at all what people told me about watches... then I understood that I no longer want to conform to society, but to go exclusively for what I like, regardless of whether people appreciate it or not... as if people were asking me if I I like their watches...... and that's how I started to take exclusively what suits MY taste.... I like microbrands, I don't understand the vintage style, for now, I love the watches that others criticize.... this is MY voice and I don't care who likes it and who doesn't... you should do the same... go exclusively for what YOU like

dancerINTHEdark

I think your problem is that you depend a lot on the opinion of those around you.
why do you need others to tell you how to form your taste?
taste is formed from inside you, you just have to listen to yourself, and put a price on what you feel...
for sure there is a rolex that you like, for example.
try to explain to yourself personally what makes you fall in love with it, what exactly attracts you to it.
define your preferences by voice. and argue to yourself why you like the watch, and why other rolex models are inferior.
Buy the watch if you have convinced yourself, wear it by feeling, and draw conclusions about it... and don't take into your head what others comment about your preferences... no one knows better than you the arguments that you brought to yourself. the important thing is to try to carry this dialogue with you and the tastes will form by themselves

Wervelf

for me the journey begun when I started to abstract from everything that the world around me dictated. At one point, I became sick & tired of everyone telling me which watches are current, which are no longer in vogue, which are trendy and which are not..... but I felt a completely different opinion and I couldn't find myself at all what people told me about watches... then I understood that I no longer want to conform to society, but to go exclusively for what I like, regardless of whether people appreciate it or not... as if people were asking me if I I like their watches...... and that's how I started to take exclusively what suits MY taste.... I like microbrands, I don't understand the vintage style, for now, I love the watches that others criticize.... this is MY voice and I don't care who likes it and who doesn't... you should do the same... go exclusively for what YOU like
This is so cool, this is a genuine action that u can barely find these days.
I love your story and I think that everyone should go with something like this. Just start searching for what u like the most and what u actually would like to wear.
I think that trying different watches on the wrist before buying one is one of the best things that u can always do for yourself, just when u see the watch on your wrist u are going to understand if u actually love it and feel bout it.
There is nothing wrong tho, to go with Rolex or really good known brands. This is not a real problem, the real problem, is when u go with any type and model of Rolex, just because it is a Rolex, so u keep on going like " WELL IT IS ROLEX, IT IS THE BEST WATCH IN THE WORLD". Ok, I get it but do u like it or...