Louis Vuitton: Einstein Automata timepiece

BenStone

How about this Louis Vuitton timepiece, guys????
This watch was launched this year and is a single copy to be sold for charity. Louis Vuitton turns out to have produced it at La Fabrique du Temps, which it owns and has an in-house caliber LV 525 manual mechanical movement. It is a creative accessory, even if it is very specific. and its price is cosmic. With this watch, the brand flirted as much as it could with the imagination, and it seems that Einstein's involvement is a strong selling point. But I still have some doubts about this watch.

On one hand, invoking the scientist makes absolute sense because Einstein was the one who changed the world's perception of time and space. And his presence in a time accessory is very logical and highly creative. Apart from the scientist's face in a celebratory pose showing his tongue, the watch comes with a dial that suggests the math formula chalkboard scribbles and similar nods to the scientist's work. It is curious how Louis Vuitton installed a very "playful" mechanism. The power reserve indicator shows the brand initials when the watch is completely wound. and in contrast, it indicates OW, meaning Only Watch when the reserve is close to emptiness. This mechanism is really fascinating.

And as powerful as the mechanism is, the design of the watch seems so strange to me. the look, especially the blue eye seems so out of context to me. and the tongue is too red... I can't accept it, I see more of a "Frankenstein" fate here than an Einstein. it seems to me that the portrait's design was not well thought out.....

though, I would like to hear your opinions

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.17-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.17-min.png
    486.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.09-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.09-min.png
    667.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.29-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10.56.29-min.png
    425.4 KB · Views: 0

Encantadore59935

the first impression: grotesque))))

but, being about louis vuitton, I think that this is the way to show off the brand - to create impressions, discussions, and to bring an out of the box timepiece. if that was the goal, Vuitton succeeded wonderfully. the watch is definitely a discussion starter. imagine if it weren't for the eyeball and the tongue as a chromatic accent. it probably wouldn't have awakened such emotions of contrast) so according to me, this timepiece is an absolute winner

Drinky

someone tell me WHY? a clock must tell time. did he suddenly look so twisted?!
not all watches must show the time clearly and readably. if you want a tool-watch, you can get a Pelagos or a Submariner) some watches are to show the horological skills of the brand and for contemplation. this is more of a statement piece than a watch imho. and if I'm honest, I didn't think Vuitton was too competitive from the wtches' point of view. but with this model he convinced me. and Vuitton is, after all, a fashion brand, it is normal to make abstractions from the standard and to show fashion through absolutely crazy and non-standard methods. I also think that this watch is an absolute victory. yes, the design is a bit twisted, but I think that this is precisely what makes it generate impressions)

Maric

judge me as you wish... but on a technical level - the watch is really bombastic. at the design level - I don't resonate at all. it can be all "louis vuitton" you want, but the eyeball is a total deal braker for me. I would have preferred to keep the classic version of the portrait. the chalkboard-like dial is gorgeous and very well thought out. but the gothic style of the portrait drives me insane

Rochdale

to be honest, I think that those who do not resonate with the watch do not understand or do not know the value and contribution of Einstein in science.... this scientist had a dose of madness in him, he was an absolute genius in what he did. a standard and classic portrait would not have illustrated his genius and different mind. I'm sure that vuitton has an explanation for the eyeball that justifies its design.

very creative this watch, by me. Vuitton totally nailed it, both in terms of design and technical profile

BusyAsHell

@Rochdale what is the connection between Eistenin's genius mind and contribution to the science with an unsuccessful portrait design?

or because he was a genius should we accept any failed portrait just because he had a brilliant mind? I recognize the importance of the scientist for modern science. but I think that his genius could have been represented differently, not necessarily through an eyeball that does not fit into the context.

the fact that Vuitton included Einstein in the watch - is already an absolute victory. indeed, the connection between the scientist and "time" (that is, orogology) is really very close. but I think that the eye and the tongue as a visual accent are superfluous

PreciousJohn

visually-unattractive to me. the concept though- is a great one. Eistein + timepiece= great way to underline the connection between them. what I like is the dial approach. very creative and flawless, by me. as for the portrait- I like that Vuitton chose this particular portrait, I think that the image is the most appropriate to show the increased crazy and genius of the scientist.

thr eyeball-well, it's a matter of personal taste. I don't resonate with it, personally. but I accept it because I understand that a fashion brand has the "out-of-the-box" in its DNA. I hope that the watch will give good results at the auction for charity. in the end - that's what matters

Grigio

Price estimates for this model reach between $374,000 – $484,000. the one who takes it at the auction will happily empty his pockets)
somewhere I had seen a mini-video illustrating how this watch works... lemme tel u that it's really cool to see it working... I can't say the same about the comfort of wearing it on the wrist.. I think the owner will just keep it in his collection because it looks very uncomfortable when worn, to be honest...

as for the portrait design, I think you will complicate things too much. the scientist said "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." and I think that Vuitton adhered to this principle when it designed the Eistnein portarait. so those who do not resonate, do not understand the unlimited limits of imagination)))

StatusQUO

gorgeous piece 😍😍 adorable and stunning!!!!! I would like more pieces to be made for the general public. though for its price, it is unlikely that everyone can afford to have it. but I'm sure that wealthy watch collectors would not skimp on such beauty😍

HahREF5583468

even if I had the money, I'm unlikely to buy a watch like this. it is absolutely unreadable and not at all practical) if I had to spend 450k, it would be for a useful and functionally complex piece. but to keep it in the watch chest only as a decorative accessory - I'm not ready to spend that kind of money. so I think this watch must remain as it is - in a single copy 😁

dancerINTHEdark

I think that everything in this watch makes sense, even if many do not understand it as a concept and design. a fashion brand like louis vuitton does not do things "simply". the best designers in the world work for this brand. so I see the watch as an absolute work of art

Cincinnati

lucky is the one who will have it after the auction. so much symbolism in this piece. Einstein fits perfectly into the concept. the operation of the watch is truly a work of art and the dial is fabulously meaningful and revealing. the rest (eyeball. togue) are just secondary elements. I don't understand why you draw attention only to tiny details avoiding to look at things as a whole. it is a phenomenal work to me

HorsePower

a bit silly for me, no matter how much I try to look at it through the lens of creativity and imagination. however, I hope it raises generous funds for the cause

Michelangelo

1. this watch comes from a fashion brand. it specializes in extraordinary, ingenious, out-of-the-ordinary stuff. That watch fits perfectly into what a fashion brand does

2. you cannot expect a fashion brand to excel in horology. however, Louiss Vouitton seems to have succeeded. The watch has a reliable mechanism and far exceeds expectations from a brand whose vector is clothes and accessories, less timepieces. therefore, the attempt and its result in horological terms is plausible

3. the manufacturer spent a lot of time, resources, ideas and personnel to create a watch for charity. and this is what matters the most. the purpose of the watch is a noble one, someone will benefit from the money from this watch and this speaks of the human side of the manufacturer.

with these in mind, what does the details of the eyeball matter????? I wonder how limited the world is sometimes...can't you look at things a little broader than that?!