repair Omega issues

StevenOhio

Hi all, I don't really expect help because I've already exhausted my expectations, but just in case will leave my bad experience here
recently had an unfortunate watch service situation. I earned some money so that I can buy myself an enchanting PO ceramic omega. it's a preowned piece. You know when you take care of something as something holy, and something bad happens to it? That was my case. by chance, I dropped it from my hand when I was in the bathroom and slipped. I tried to hold it tightly in my hand but anyway, it suffered an impact because it fell from abotu 2 feet or so. Then I saw its ceramic near the lug hole had chipped. clumsy me!!! 😖😖😖
Talked to my my watch dealer later asking to send it to the central omega office, and maybe I could even get a discount for the repair service.

All accepted and sent the watch to the dealer in the hope that soon it would all become just a nightmare to forget about. But the things got even worse. i got a message from the central office telling me about an even bigger defect. While the mechanics were trying to take the strap out, the chips got worse, seriously damaging the watch.

So, wiht that damage, the repair service would cost me about 4k$, in the context that I paid for it about double the price. So, the repair is about to cost me half the price of the watch I got. Considering that the damage was worsened by omega staff, they would offer a 25% discount, mind u! in addition, the dealership is ready to help me with some extra $550 off.
Now, I'm kinda seriously confused. Happy to get the discount on one hand, after all, they made the damage worse. On the other, I'm wondering: is it even possible that such a damage (I'm talking about the initial damage that doesn't seem so huge) to cost so much? it was just a small drop after all. i mean, i do agree on my clumsiness, but....really? 4k???!!! I was thinking to repair it with the full price and then ask to resell it to the dealer with its initial price I bought it for. Although, I do get that they might refuse me, as they are not obliged to do so...

hard to think about a repair of some 3k. also, hard to refuse the repair as i do love this timepiece...

what would u do? grateful for your thoughts

SpiceEric

Wondering what's to repair there... isn't it easier to just replace the case? with or without additional damage, omega would have solved the issue in just a sec by replacing it fully... perhaps, that's because of the ceramic thing... it's a very tricky material... doen't get stratches, which is awesome, but does shatter easily

Maybe some pics, if any, would help figure out the situation. got any pics of the damaged watch?

MiracuLuis

the price for the repair doesn't seem surprising to me actually... what did u expect?) it's an omega) no offense, don't get me wrong. everyone getting an expensive watch must understand that maintenance and service outside the warranty might be tough

what really surprises me, on the other hand, is their 25% off offering for a damage made BY THEM!!! that makes no sense to me, and i'd probably complain about it to a greater extent. At least, they should have come with some additional nato traps or stuff like that, as a moral compensation. 25% from 4k means nothing for the end customer

#MiniCooper#

yeahhhh.... so sorry for the situation...
though, I think some repair works are still possible here. the price is perhaps for the new case frame needed here. more exactly, the middle area of it. if it were the whole case, I suppose the price would be higher. they will probably remove and replace the middle section after which place the bezel back along with the caseback. but it's just my assumptions. considering your affection for the watch, I'm afraid it's an optimistic deal getting the 25% plus $550 dealer contribution.

For your peace of mind, try to come back with a counter offer of 35% off. who knows? maybe they accept. if not- that's it 🤷‍♂️

Mathew

hurray to stainless steel bezels... it can be scratchy but it can be solved with a quick polishing and you're set. ceramics might look modern ad all u want, but not practical at all... sorry dude for the experience
ambivalent wiht this opinion.... i do take care of all my ss bezels and yet, here and there scratches still appear which drives me crazy. even polishing doesn't always help and what pisses me off, I don't even know where they come from... ceramics is way more resistant to scratches. so there are both pros and cons on both sides, wiht no perfect material available

it's a matter of preferences and luck i guess.. some watch owners ever drop their watches somehow... shit happens

RoyaInk

it can happen to any watch, no one guarantees that it will resist impacts. if it's not the bezel, it can be the crystal, or the caseback, or the clasp- anything . any watch might get damaged even from 2 feet, depends on the angle at which it falls. for a gen Omega, i find the 3K reasonable. it is a jewelry repair here because the damaged area is small. I never take my watches into the bathroom, regardless of the model and material. slippery surfaces are always a risk, even if the watch is made of titanium

StevenOhio

call me ignorant or whatever u want... my gut feeling tells me there might be tricks to get over it with more than just 25%... after all, why do we all pay so high prices for such "good" watches that crack with 2 feet dropping?! what's the point? don't they sell us tremendously durable and resistant watches with plenty of innovative technologies and sh*t like that? so, please may i have a truly durable watch? if it's not, why should i pay for the service some 4k more? insane..... also, it's not enough that it was damaged from being dropped, but it was damaged even more when PROFESSIONALS tried to fix it. if PROFESSIONALS, being so qualified, can't fix the watch just because it cracks, what can we say about regular customers, who are clumsy sometimes? sh8t happens, indeed, but that doesn't mean we have to pay 4k for it... we pay for quality about 5,7,9k, and even more, in the hope for a watch more resistant than a 200$ one. soooooooo, where's the quality? if there's no quality, would they please just repair the watch for free or at least with a reasonable customer contribution?!

UdlinINTEL

call me ignorant or whatever u want... my gut feeling tells me there might be tricks to get over it with more than just 25%... after all, why do we all pay so high prices for such "good" watches that crack with 2 feet dropping?! what's the point? don't they sell us tremendously durable and resistant watches with plenty of innovative technologies and sh*t like that? so, please may i have a truly durable watch? if it's not, why should i pay for the service some 4k more? insane..... also, it's not enough that it was damaged from being dropped, but it was damaged even more when PROFESSIONALS tried to fix it. if PROFESSIONALS, being so qualified, can't fix the watch just because it cracks, what can we say about regular customers, who are clumsy sometimes? sh8t happens, indeed, but that doesn't mean we have to pay 4k for it... we pay for quality about 5,7,9k, and even more, in the hope for a watch more resistant than a 200$ one. soooooooo, where's the quality? if there's no quality, would they please just repair the watch for free or at least with a reasonable customer contribution?!
u got mad dude))

would it be nice from omega to be more generous with ceramic repair. i suppose they don't want negative reviews stating how bad their ceramic watches are in the context of a 12k price or so.

i also think you should try with a counteroffer. sounds like they test u to see how far they can push u. it might be that they deliberately propose an initial symbolic discount, because if they suddenly propose a 50% discount, they would lose revenue. so they keep this offer for the most angry and restless customers. you could try to be one of them) if it doesn't work, well- at least you tried

CityBreak

you guys talk about counteroffers as if we are in a black market where we can negotiate the prices as we like... i'm afraid things don't just work out like that.... omega has an entire repair, discounts, guarantees evaluation department, etc... they analyze everything from a legal and financial point of view. so, before they propose the 25% off, I am almost certain that this offer has gone through all possible departments for confirmation and validation

GeorgeClintonBiden

that's totally true... ceramic watches are mostly sport style so it's obvious the r gonna be subject to all kinds of impacts associated with biking, jogging, gym etc.... it's not ok to get a sports watch and keep it safe in the closet just because it's sensitive to damage... why the price then?!

Perpetual

cmon guys,
as if 99 of the ceramic watches break so easily. it can happen like with any watch. in a ss watch, the crystal could be damaged, for example. on the whole, Omega ceramic watches, especially the latest releases are very durable. it's just that you have to take care of them as with any other watch

get the deal. it is common knowledge that for an expensive watch you have an expensive repair service. you don't expect a Mercedes, or a BMW to be repaired at the same price as for a Renault or Toyota. No offense to any vehicle here, just an example that premium goods are expensive in both buying AND maintaining and servicing

Michelangelo

"after all, why do we all pay so high prices for such "good" watches that crack with 2 feet dropping?! what's the point? don't they sell us tremendously durable and resistant watches with plenty of innovative technologies and sh*t like that?"

it is not Omega's responsibility to make titanium watches for all those who are not careful. Every customer and buyer is mature enough to inform himself about all the advantages and disadvantages of a certain material. Then make the decision on their own responsibility. Finally, a warranty is offered in which the brand assumes all defects. No one ever promised that ceramics are wreckless and indestructible. So, people buy it because they love the way it looks, for variation, for design, for not scratching easily. But not because it is indestructible, because no one has ever declared that.

In most cases, buyers know very well what the trade-offs are and, nevertheless, they buy what they like. everyone knows that ceramic chips, and yet, ceramic watches remain among the most bought. It means that buyers are fully aware of the risks, so no need to blame anyone. it's just a matter of circumstances, the wrong place, the wrong dropping angle, the wrong height. Omega is trying to do the best it can in this case, as I see. otherwise, it could easily send an email with "the repair will cost u 4k. You take it or leave it?!" Instead, they offered sympathy for the customer, just as the AD did. So big applause for the omega team, they don't have to take responsibility for the customer clumsiness. No offense, no blame here. just sh*t happens and they just try to figure out how to help

BenStone

"after all, why do we all pay so high prices for such "good" watches that crack with 2 feet dropping?! what's the point? don't they sell us tremendously durable and resistant watches with plenty of innovative technologies and sh*t like that?"

it is not Omega's responsibility to make titanium watches for all those who are not careful. Every customer and buyer is mature enough to inform himself about all the advantages and disadvantages of a certain material. Then make the decision on their own responsibility. Finally, a warranty is offered in which the brand assumes all defects. No one ever promised that ceramics are wreckless and indestructible. So, people buy it because they love the way it looks, for variation, for design, for not scratching easily. But not because it is indestructible, because no one has ever declared that.

In most cases, buyers know very well what the trade-offs are and, nevertheless, they buy what they like. everyone knows that ceramic chips, and yet, ceramic watches remain among the most bought. It means that buyers are fully aware of the risks, so no need to blame anyone. it's just a matter of circumstances, the wrong place, the wrong dropping angle, the wrong height. Omega is trying to do the best it can in this case, as I see. otherwise, it could easily send an email with "the repair will cost u 4k. You take it or leave it?!" Instead, they offered sympathy for the customer, just as the AD did. So big applause for the omega team, they don't have to take responsibility for the customer clumsiness. No offense, no blame here. just sh*t happens and they just try to figure out how to help
I didn't look at things from this perspective until your comment) you're right, being off warranty, omega could have just put it all on the customer's shoulders, even with their contribution to damage.

StevenOhio

when i bought the watch, it never occurred to me for a second to take into account the repair. I never thought it would be so expensive. I was just blinded by the desire to get this model... I'm not sure I would have bought it if I had known. also, tbh, I wasn't too interested in the ceramic material either. if everyone buys it, it might be good then, I thought back then.. i am a watch enthusiast but not a deep connoisseur. I probably got carried away