how to build a watch collection? what to consider?!

bagaBOO57335

hello, community,
the first thing you have to hear from me is that I find this place very cozy, indeed. so many consistent threads, with really catching questions. and the answers are so complete, that I can feel that every user truly cares about others' concerns... Thank u for that!
My question in this forum refers to a potential watch collection. I'm thinking of starting to build one, but I'm kinda confused with where to start and what to coder about it. Currently, my watch "collection" comprises some 4 pieces, not of much value. Two of the CASIOs I own are just a gift, so can't tell that they are my dream watches. One is a Rolex rep and the last one I got is a Panerai rep.
The more I read about watch collections, the more the dealer attracts me. The problem is that most sources I read refer to genuine watches collections. they write about investment value, rare timepieces etc...
Honestly, I can't afford a collection of gen luxury watches. And I was thinking about building a collection of any types of watches, including reps and maybe some cheap gens. And I feel insecure about the idea of collecting rep timepieces, I mean, what value would it have?!
Also, what tips would you recommend for building a watch collection? How do you specifically collect them? According to style? To price? To complexity, maybe?! In short, I'm a little bit lost in the idea, and would like a piece of support from u, if you could help me!
Thanks to any reply, add pls, if you think it's a stupid idea to collect reps, feel free to share it openly. I really prefer an honest opinion here! πŸ™

ArnoldTHEgreat

hey, hi there,
do't know much about watch collections tbh, as I myself have only 4 pieces :D
bt what I can tell you is why the hell do you care for other's opinion about your watch collection?! you collect whatever you want, be it rep watches, gen watches, or watch boxes, if you please. collecting smth is such an individual thing and it's a hobby that comforts the collector like no other activity. people even collect different types of matches, if you didn't know. So, what now? are they subject for criticism? No, they are not.
so I can only embrace your idea of collecting reps. ad even if these are not as financially valuable as the gens ones, it doesn't really matter at all, whenever it brings you joy and satisfaction

what a great idea, indeed. I'm totally on the same page with @ArnoldTHEgreat. collecting stuff is your personal hobby and you dont do it for anyone else, u do it for yourself.now, about the collection itself:
-there isn't a strict rule of collecting watches. true collectors create their own "rule" or "strategy". name it as u want but the point is that you set the rule. ithe first thing I'd recommend is to NOT mix the gens wit the reps. In the context, you can create two separate collections, one with gas and other with reps. and t doesn't matter if the are cheap or expensive.
-then, you could begin with opting for a specific watch category. for example, only formal, or only sports, or only from one single brand. the idea of a collection is to add in it pieces with some common features. Minimalist, for example, or complicated. On the whole, it's you who sets the rules. What matters is why you choose one or another typology; it has to mean something for u, get it?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž

ObeisDexter

totally embrace the idea!!!!! replica non replica-it doesn't matter.
but it has to be "structured", just like @blablablih said. and before starting a rep collection, you should also decide upon the budget. considering it's meant to be a collection, you will probably want one with high-quality watches (unless it's a collection of cheapest reps:DDD). so, if you want a "long lasting"collection, prepare to spend some money :D sounds tough, I know, but that's what it takes πŸ’ͺ🫑

bagaBOO57335

hey, hi there,
do't know much about watch collections tbh, as I myself have only 4 pieces :D
bt what I can tell you is why the hell do you care for other's opinion about your watch collection?! you collect whatever you want, be it rep watches, gen watches, or watch boxes, if you please. collecting smth is such an individual thing and it's a hobby that comforts the collector like no other activity. people even collect different types of matches, if you didn't know. So, what now? are they subject for criticism? No, they are not.
so I can only embrace your idea of collecting reps. ad even if these are not as financially valuable as the gens ones, it doesn't really matter at all, whenever it brings you joy and satisfaction
congrats with your 4 pieces, it's a good start 😁😁😁
btw, what's a watch collection by definition????? when a collector begins considering himself a collector? starting from how many watches?πŸ‘€πŸ§πŸ§πŸ§
thanks for your insight, btw πŸ˜‰

bagaBOO57335

what a great idea, indeed. I'm totally on the same page with @ArnoldTHEgreat. collecting stuff is your personal hobby and you dont do it for anyone else, u do it for yourself.now, about the collection itself:
-there isn't a strict rule of collecting watches. true collectors create their own "rule" or "strategy". name it as u want but the point is that you set the rule. ithe first thing I'd recommend is to NOT mix the gens wit the reps. In the context, you can create two separate collections, one with gas and other with reps. and t doesn't matter if the are cheap or expensive.
-then, you could begin with opting for a specific watch category. for example, only formal, or only sports, or only from one single brand. the idea of a collection is to add in it pieces with some common features. Minimalist, for example, or complicated. On the whole, it's you who sets the rules. What matters is why you choose one or another typology; it has to mean something for u, get it?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž
nice))) thanks:)
I was actually thinking about either going with only one brad, or only with formal watches. probably, I'll go with the formal models I guess. I don't stick to a specific brand so much to collect all its watches...
ad why's that to separate the reps from the gens? didn't get the idea...

bagaBOO57335

totally embrace the idea!!!!! replica non replica-it doesn't matter.
but it has to be "structured", just like @blablablih said. and before starting a rep collection, you should also decide upon the budget. considering it's meant to be a collection, you will probably want one with high-quality watches (unless it's a collection of cheapest reps:DDD). so, if you want a "long lasting"collection, prepare to spend some money :D sounds tough, I know, but that's what it takes πŸ’ͺ🫑
what a good point really... haven't thought about that!!! πŸ’ͺ πŸ’ͺ πŸ’ͺ

Cacktoos

very curious to read the previous and the following comments here...
the idea of collecting watches is great, and my collection is planned to include only watches of my loved football players. Mbappe, Ronaldo, Messi, Martinez, Giroud and all of the French and Argentinian teams especially, as they made the fabulous final of the World Cup Qatar 2022. So, I made up myself a target- to collect their watches, replicas of course, until 2026. in 2026, I'm gonna se the new target, depending on which teams will get into finals.
that's my watch collection plan, if it somehow helps u, I hope It does.
and thanks to those who comment here; there' s plenty of new info to find out here

PpiroJookK88735

my grandpa's best friend used to have a watch collection. he was collecting vintages mostly... I recall him talking about his collection like about a holy grail, really. in this times, I had no idea what he was talking about, but he actually was trying to "educate" all people around him about how to make things right...
He always mentioned that quality is one of his most important pillars of him. Even if a watch was cheap, it didn’t mean that it was bad quality. Also, he was telling us that patience was the foundation of a good collection. Now, I can understand why he was saying that. Patience for finding the right watch, which can sometimes last for years. And the most important, for him at least, was the ambition to not drop the idea. He told he was tempted to sell his collection at various times, especially when there were financial issues and the collection would have saved him from starving. But, he never did. The point is to remain true to the idea, from what I understood for him. And even if a collection is valuable, it must not be considered as an investment, but as smth for the heart.

Now with the reps, that are more affordable, it’s impossible to look at such a collection as an investment obviously. But, I think the rest of the β€œpillars” are still available and make all the sense for your collection. Go ahead!πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

diaboliquerye

Well, google can educate you a lot in this field. There are pretty good articles to read and I think here you’ll know things new from what the articles teach you. The principle is the same, more or less:

-taking into account the budget and quality standards; this applies to replica collection as well, because there are different levels of quality in the replica field, and it’s up to you which one is better for u;

-to take into account or to build your w philosophy around your collection. This means collecting a specific type of reps ad to know WHY exactly you collect them. What do they mean to u? And u know? You don’t necessarily need to go not a specific type or style, or brand. You could also go the ”personal way” like some watches associated with some events of your life. Just like the Casio you told you had as a gift. Maybe collecting gift watches would be an idea. Your Casio could be a good start for your collection if you decide to go that way.

carRacer638854

I'm actually planning to build myself a watch collection. it will refer to racer watches exclusively. not sure that they will be only gens or only reps. but, to tell the truth, I dont really think it's a problem mixing them... after all, it's a collection to please myself, and not to re-sell it some day...
My principles for my future watch collection include:
-best quality of materials;
-most intricate features and complications related to racing;
-historic complications that were designed many ears ago and aren't designed anymore now. it sounds a bit tough, but I'll make it gradually and with patience.
YOU JUST HAVE TO CREATE YOUR OWN PRINCIPLES, and stay true to them😎🀞πŸ’ͺ

don't think much of it... just build it the way you feel and you will understand how it works along the way... that's great that you already have the basic concept, and it's a great one, by the way. now follow your gut feeling.

I begun to create my watch collection 2 years ago and the principle around it is collecting watches that look like Rolex models. for example, for the Rolex GMT I got a Tudor Black `bay GMT rep, for the Submariner, I plan to get a Seamaster Aqua terra rep which is closer to submariner, and so on. by the way, I dont make much difference between gens and reps. I throw them all into the same collection. for example, another model resembling the Submariner in my collection is a Casio Duro model. it's even cheaper than any rep watch in the market, I think. so, my gens aren't expensive at all. I only buy them because they look like Rolex. it's fun actually :D

petrucho^^

I wouldn't mix the gens and the reps, tbh... it's like mixing pure gold jewelry with fake gold jewelry... idk, it sounds strange...I think what you already got is a good start. you have two gens and two reps, so continue the same way, separating these two categories...

...and... what do you exactly mean by "the more the dealer attracts me." what dealer attracts u? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ or its maybe the autocorrect...

referring to your collection, personally don't find anything strange in wanting to collect reps. if your purpose is NOT an investment collection to resell it someday, there is no problem with it.... the only thing to consider is probably the quality of your rep collection. I don't really think u want your rep watches to begin fading in their physical aspect over time, so probably, you need a high quality rep collection...

what I like most in collections overall, not necessarily with watches, is the history related to them. someone collects gifts, someone collects important events-related items. I thin g the story behind your collection is more relevant than the watches per seπŸ˜ŽπŸ™ƒ

###IcySpicY###

the best rule is that there are no rules πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ no matter what is the principle of your watch collection, it's gonna be fun and engaging to show it to your children 😁😁😁
so, don't overthink)

Karim

so complicated sounds all here)) concepts, strategies.... why not take things easier and just collect watches one likes?!
I mean we usually overthink things, but I fact, its just a cumulative collection of things we like... and if u like different watches, not necessarily of the same concept or idea, why just don't collect them?!)

a woman collecting jewelry collects JEWELRY no matter the brand, price etc...
those who collect stamps, which principle and concept they follow?)
I remember one of my childhood friends lived in Soviet Union, e used to collect imported Stprite, cola, and Fanta cans. they were all deficit for them in those times.... now, I think, also, considering the Ukraine war.... but it doesn't matter.... the point is tat he was collecting something that was rare for those times.... he had a neighbour collecting cigarette cartons 😁😁 Lucky Strike, Parliament and all that his father was smoking)) also, not a special concept, just collecting what he could) it's just for fun and hobby, don't really think things should go that complicated)

a friend of mine has 50 watches in his collection πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I know, sounds crazy, but he does)) actually, I took over his passion for watches namely from himπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ his principle of collecting watches (if there is oneπŸ˜‚) is buying timepieces for a certain milestone in his life, graduation, 25 years anniversary, first professional upgrade, first child and so on. and there is no specific type of watches he collects. when something remarkable happens to him in life, he just goes and gets the watch from the store he likes.. so there's more like a sentimental value in his collection. he doesn't even know much about the rand of the watch or the technical details πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ he mostly remembers the event associated with every watch

so complicated sounds all here)) concepts, strategies.... why not take things easier and just collect watches one likes?!
I mean we usually overthink things, but I fact, its just a cumulative collection of things we like... and if u like different watches, not necessarily of the same concept or idea, why just don't collect them?!)

a woman collecting jewelry collects JEWELRY no matter the brand, price etc...
those who collect stamps, which principle and concept they follow?)
I remember one of my childhood friends lived in Soviet Union, e used to collect imported Stprite, cola, and Fanta cans. they were all deficit for them in those times.... now, I think, also, considering the Ukraine war.... but it doesn't matter.... the point is tat he was collecting something that was rare for those times.... he had a neighbour collecting cigarette cartons 😁😁 Lucky Strike, Parliament and all that his father was smoking)) also, not a special concept, just collecting what he could) it's just for fun and hobby, don't really think things should go that complicated)
that was typical for theSoviet Union 😁😁😁 those goods were deficitarian for them )))

DoctorWHO

do what you want but separate the replicas from the authentic watches. like it or not, they are different from each other, starting from the inner mechanism to the clasp of the bracelet.
a replica watch is never invested with the same effort as in an authentic watch. and their value is different. make your collection as you like, but don't make a mess of your watches

if talking specifically about the collection, I would create it from different types of watches. so that I can wear them at the same time. I wouldn't want to have only formal or only sports watches in it, just to look at them. it would be important for me if they were also useful to wear them daily

CuriousGeorge

I love watch collections. only that I have never dealt with a collection of reps; I would be curious to see one...
About collections in general, I had the opportunity to talk with a collector who explained to me the whole psychology and philosophy of this matter.
What he enjoyed in the process of collecting was actually not the watches themselves, but the knowledge he accumulated about them. he felt that he was becoming more and more experienced and expert in their finishes, different dial patterns, and mechanisms. he also told me that he felt his dopamine release not only when he buys a watch, but when he hunts and chases them. He follows news about watches in order to find a rare model. He compares them to understand which is more valuable among the rare models. and, if at the beginning he needed consultation and advice, over time he became his own adviser. clearly, he saw in his collection a potential investment with chances of financial return. but this was never a priority.
But the most interesting and curious argument for me was INTROVERTISM. The given person had told me that he was introverted by nature and it was very difficult for him to communicate with the world, feeling an enormous moral blockage. On the other hand, when he talked about watches, he felt very confident and could talk about watches for hours... like like that...
I would be curious to see your collection and history one day @bagaBOO57335 😁😁😁😁😁😁

FleurDeLis

first time to hear about the connection of watch collections and psychologic issues @CuriousGeorge. it I think of t, it could make sense actually. I you are a pro in a certain topic, you probably forget about your issues and just showing your professionalism openly)))))

if I were to make a collection, I would rely on a single brand. For example Breitling, I love this brand. Each company has its own separate style, and its own different approach to watches. I would collect all the watches in the style of the same brand, but different models. It should be interesting and fun to have all the Breitling watches and find a specific signature in them coming from the brand itself, even if one is Pilot, another is racing, and others are generally minimal and formal...
When you add different watches in the collections, the collection might come out a bit messy, don't u think?! πŸ‘€πŸ§...