Best case shape?

Goofew

Well, im not new in the world of watches, i know some things, i have both reps and gens, i have some good clones, but there is one interesting thing that just popped in my head and i just can stop thinking about it.
maybe it is totally bullshit and i just overreacted to all of this, but i think there is something about case shapes.
when i started to go with watches and studying different brands, understanding the taste that i have and what i really like, i could tell everything about the watch. i could explain why i chose the colors over other colors, what sizes are better for me and why, and which kind of materials are the best and why, but ever been able to explain why i choose round cases over other shapes.

while talking about this topic with my friends the only thing that we could pull out was the thing that people's perceptions of the way a watch generally should look is based genetically on choosing a round-shaped watch. Because these are the first watches that appeared in this world. And im not talking only about wristwatches. Even Dali painted round liquid watches... and you can clearly see it by closing your eyes.

i don't know if what i said makes sense to you, i tried to explain what i see and feel,.

even so after this phrase of " perception based on the first watches that appeared" it still can't explain why there are people that can always go with other shapes than round shapes. Personally, i know that kind of person, they never choose round cases.

I would like to know, why this happens,
I would like to know, which shape of the watch and for whom it is better. Thank you

Wervelf

it is pretty interesting what you mentioned here. there is actually a complicated thing related to this. More reasons why people actually choose different shapes for watches. Yes, this is true, the psychological thing is present in this case. Some people are going with the flow, choosing actually what they really love and want. Other people are trying to go with precision and rules. The rules related to shapes and styles can be learned. so, personally, i know both kinds of people, those that are choosing watches judging by their own preferences. the second type of people is those that are going by the rules, where what you really like it is important but the most important is to choose a watch by the rules.
I think you are a person that goes with wished and preferences. That's all!

Gloo

I love round cases because it feels like they are easier to combine with different styles. Some shapes like a square- for me feel like a watch that better goes with sports and casual looks. At least it is what i feel.

Youncesomed

I love round cases because it feels like they are easier to combine with different styles. Some shapes like a square- for me feel like a watch that better goes with sports and casual looks. At least it is what i feel.
a little wrong actually.
go see Cartier watches. there is a lot of square shaped watches that actually are classic. Watches that you have to combine with a tuxedo or evening party clothes.
The square is not related totally to the style of the watch.
there are a lot of other things to take into consideration. the parts of the watch, the bezel, the strap of the bracelet, the functions, and how the indexes are indicated. so actually this is true. i think that every shape is related to what you want and love.
it is linked to your comfort. some people just don't like smooth shapes. the want sharp shapes.
it is true that the biggest part of people is going for round shapes, another psychological influence. but generally, this is more about style.

i cant categorize myself as a person that loves round or square-shaped watches, or other shapes. for me is important the style, the colors, the little details that you can see on the case, especially on the dial.

Gaindred

generally, i always go with round shapes, it is not that i go and say well, lets see the round cases...
it comes to me naturally.
i cant say which on is the best shape.. i dont think that in the world of watches, there is the best shape or the worst shape...

Do you know that there is a watch that has the shape of the Dali watch picture?
and you can't say that this shape is bad.. it is unusual... the weirdest thing is that people that always went with round shapes just fell in love with the watch. it totally depends on the emotions that it creates. personally for me.

EuGeniuS

tbh, the round shape is the most adored by me. and it's not related to some basic perceptions. it is more related to the fact that any other watch case just doesn't fit my wrist. I tried Cartier scquare cases. Can't stand them... they r just digging in my wrists. `even the rectangular shape of my Apple Watch bothers me. It took me 3 months to get used to its shape. every time I move my arm, I feel it digging again and again....😖😖😖😖 if it wasn't for the digital features that I really needed, I probably would have gotten rid of it....

never had issues with round watches. still, it depends on the size as well. if it's a round 42+ size, it also starts to bother me a lot... so, such to the +/-40mm case🤷‍♂️

Gloo

a little wrong actually.
go see Cartier watches. there is a lot of square shaped watches that actually are classic. Watches that you have to combine with a tuxedo or evening party clothes.
The square is not related totally to the style of the watch.
there are a lot of other things to take into consideration. the parts of the watch, the bezel, the strap of the bracelet, the functions, and how the indexes are indicated. so actually this is true. i think that every shape is related to what you want and love.
it is linked to your comfort. some people just don't like smooth shapes. the want sharp shapes.
it is true that the biggest part of people is going for round shapes, another psychological influence. but generally, this is more about style.

i cant categorize myself as a person that loves round or square-shaped watches, or other shapes. for me is important the style, the colors, the little details that you can see on the case, especially on the dial.
thank you for the information. seems like a have a lot to learn, it was just my perception about it. i thought that i was right. anyway thank you for this, im going to analyze more:)
:):):)

Gaindred

tbh, the round shape is the most adored by me. and it's not related to some basic perceptions. it is more related to the fact that any other watch case just doesn't fit my wrist. I tried Cartier scquare cases. Can't stand them... they r just digging in my wrists. `even the rectangular shape of my Apple Watch bothers me. It took me 3 months to get used to its shape. every time I move my arm, I feel it digging again and again....😖😖😖😖 if it wasn't for the digital features that I really needed, I probably would have gotten rid of it....

never had issues with round watches. still, it depends on the size as well. if it's a round 42+ size, it also starts to bother me a lot... so, such to the +/-40mm case🤷‍♂️
is that you don't love square cases or they don't fit your wrist?
have you tried to go with different sizes for the square shapes?
There are rectangular shapes too. some of the models look very good. Maybe it is all about the size of the watch?

chip&dale

personally, as a lover of watches under 40mm, all goes good for me. Be it square, round, or rectangular, I love trying different shapes, as I just get tired and bored of the same shape. do people even get stuck to one single type of shape?!

Goofew

personally, as a lover of watches under 40mm, all goes good for me. Be it square, round, or rectangular, I love trying different shapes, as I just get tired and bored of the same shape. do people even get stuck to one single type of shape?!
cool, this is so amazing when you have a wide range of watches to choose from. this means that quite all the styles and shapes are good and meant that you have more options. taking in consideration that the size is something in the middle between all the sizes out there, you can consider yourself lucky)))))))

chip&dale

cool, this is so amazing when you have a wide range of watches to choose from. this means that quite all the styles and shapes are good and meant that you have more options. taking in consideration that the size is something in the middle between all the sizes out there, you can consider yourself lucky)))))))
yep, seems that I am :DDD

Karim

your explanation @Goofew has some reasonable logics in it. people tend to get back to basics even without acknowledging it. it takes place by default, only that people find excuses to disagree with that.... thanks god my wrist shape allows me to wear different shapes of watches without being bothered by corners digging it or there discomfort... so I get watches according to their overall design, features, styles, abstracting from the shape itself.
I'm o with triangle watches, if it's the case to wear one. only whenever it fits the overall look and fits y wrist well)
I think it's a psychological matter) classic minds will go round shapes, modern ones will go with everything that it's trendy :)

CasPer$$hunteR

I can feel u @Goofew I know that id of people who won't change their basic perceptions about tithing, not to mention watches..... my suggestion is to not consume yourself on that. it's just useless. for me at least, round cases are aesthetically closer to me, especially the chronograph. I like the way the subdials look within the round bezel, it's like a logical continuation. sub-dials within square cases look a little strange to me... so to, me it's an aesthetical matter. though love a lot rectangular watches as well...

Goofew

I can feel u @Goofew I know that id of people who won't change their basic perceptions about tithing, not to mention watches..... my suggestion is to not consume yourself on that. it's just useless. for me at least, round cases are aesthetically closer to me, especially the chronograph. I like the way the subdials look within the round bezel, it's like a logical continuation. sub-dials within square cases look a little strange to me... so to, me it's an aesthetical matter. though love a lot rectangular watches as well...
is not about consuming, i cant say that this bothers me that much. actually is more about informing myself. i had the feeling like I dont get something or maybe i look at the shapes from a different perspective. it is a learning process and i think i have to go with more info. i find myself in different positions among different shapes and sometimes i cant get an idea why.
started to feel like there is smth wrong with me:D
:D

CosmoS

LOOOOOOOVE round cases!!!!!!! idk if its the DNA or phycological issues, have o idea on it.... but they are the most combining with different types of dials, and incorporate like no other all the possible functions into the watch. the perfect round bezel, when it's perfectly polished, oh God, it's a visual orgasm!!!!
don't have anything against other types of shapes and forms. only that the round is the most versatile with any type of outfit, and all type design twists look good in a round shape!!!!!!

Goofew

your explanation @Goofew has some reasonable logics in it. people tend to get back to basics even without acknowledging it. it takes place by default, only that people find excuses to disagree with that.... thanks god my wrist shape allows me to wear different shapes of watches without being bothered by corners digging it or there discomfort... so I get watches according to their overall design, features, styles, abstracting from the shape itself.
I'm o with triangle watches, if it's the case to wear one. only whenever it fits the overall look and fits y wrist well)
I think it's a psychological matter) classic minds will go round shapes, modern ones will go with everything that it's trendy :)
more info please about the wrist shape.. what is that? the width??? smth like this. can you get to know what types of shapes for what types of wrists are better?
imagine a situation where you buy a watch online and you don't know how it is going to fit. you just go for the model because you like the way it looks, what you should do?
you can find it? the size? you can get it? what defines the size and shape of the wrist?

Goofew

LOOOOOOOVE round cases!!!!!!! idk if its the DNA or phycological issues, have o idea on it.... but they are the most combining with different types of dials, and incorporate like no other all the possible functions into the watch. the perfect round bezel, when it's perfectly polished, oh God, it's a visual orgasm!!!!
don't have anything against other types of shapes and forms. only that the round is the most versatile with any type of outfit, and all type design twists look good in a round shape!!!!!!
so somehow it is still about physiological aspects. did you try other kinds of shapes? do you feel differently about the psychological aspect? i mean if you physically feel okay then for sure it is all about psychology.

Wervelf

is not about consuming, i cant say that this bothers me that much. actually is more about informing myself. i had the feeling like I dont get something or maybe i look at the shapes from a different perspective. it is a learning process and i think i have to go with more info. i find myself in different positions among different shapes and sometimes i cant get an idea why.
started to feel like there is smth wrong with me:D
:D
there is ntg wrong with you dude. thats okay. it is plausible that you want to be informed. but i think that you are never going to find just one answer to this post. there are many possible answers and you know what? this is what makes us mad, cause all the answers here are right. :D
:D:D:D:D:D:D

JL$4k029

the best shape of the case is the one that sits well on the wrist without creating discomfort and the one that fits well with the aesthetic details of the dial.
I can't stand to see square or rectangular watches with round chronographs. they look like they have a robot face. but if the chronographs are adapted to the shape of the watch, keeping the same shape, the watch becomes spectacular. a good example is the tag heuer in the picture.
I don't mind the shape of the watch as much as an incorrect design. if it is correct, I am ok with any form ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 12.37.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 12.37.47.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 0

Gaindred

the best shape of the case is the one that sits well on the wrist without creating discomfort and the one that fits well with the aesthetic details of the dial.
I can't stand to see square or rectangular watches with round chronographs. they look like they have a robot face. but if the chronographs are adapted to the shape of the watch, keeping the same shape, the watch becomes spectacular. a good example is the tag heuer in the picture.
I don't mind the shape of the watch as much as an incorrect design. if it is correct, I am ok with any form ;)
so, it actually seems that it doesnt matter the case shape but the size of the case at the end. if you don't mind which kind of shape you have for your watch, this is all about the shape. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people have problems with square watches or other kinds of unusual classical shapes because of their size.
this is a matter of finding, first of all, a watch that has a style that you like has a dial that you like, and has every single detail that you like. when you like the appearance you just need to adjust the case size. I think that this is why i have good friendships with all kinds of watches.