California dials in rep watches

Rochdale

Hello everyone,
guys, I wanted to know what you think about California dials. honestly, I just recently found out about them and they seem to look pretty good. but I'm afraid I will get bored of them quickly.....
share anything you know about them because I know too little about them. and I'm also interested if you know factories that produce replica watches with California dials. I'm afraid that when an authentic watch has such a dial, replica manufactuters could adjust the dial to their own liking. and I could wake up with a regular dial either with stick markers or with Roman markers, without preserving the authentic watch model...

any opinion is welcome ๐Ÿ™ƒ

BusyAsHell

I like them.... I have to admit)) and no, you don't get bored of them) go ahead) on the contrary, I think you end up getting bored with a dial with identical hour markers... but the California style makes the dial the dial free of "heaviness" and you remain pleased with it for a long time

PreciousJohn

why do you worry about replica models? most keep the authentic model and you are unlikely to get something different. replica factories can change the Lume color, or the type of bracelet. but I have not come across cases in which the design concept of hour markers has to be changed)

at the same time, ask ADs for pictures to confirm that the design of the dial is exactly like the gen watch ... you have every right) as for the style of the dial, it's a great choice by me)

Grigio

I don't really agree with you @PreciousJohn , no offense.... just recently I met a mate who had bought a Hublot Big Bang rep with a dial different from that of the genuine watch.... Instead of thick strips with Lume inside the stick-hour markers, the manufacturers put some grooves that were wider than they should be, changing the style of the dial....

SO, YES @Rochdale , you have to ask for a photo from the dealers to make sure of whichever model you choose. California dial is a great option. It's a balanced concept and it's unlikely to get bored of that. it is something very in the middle of classic and modern. I like it... but dealers don't always deliver what they promise, although they should

HahREF5583468

I would be happy to help you... but.... what is that a california dial????? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
))) these are the watches that combine the Roman style of hour markers with the Arabic one)) in most cases, the Roman ones are for 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock markers. and those at 4 and 8 o'clock are Arabic. but manufacturers can make changes in this combination)

as a rule, these watches feature 3, 6 and 9 o'clock in the form of a simple dash. and for 12 o'clock, a simple triangle is used. Panerai and Rolex seem to be the first to adapt this style, but I'm not sure which was the first. What is interesting is that the dial style appeared as a result of a need to improve the visibility of the dials during the Sec World War. after it was finished, the style somehow caught on and manufacturers continued to use it...
you still can see the specific triangle in rolex watches for 12 o'clock_

dancerINTHEdark

honestly, I don't understand what "improved legibility" can be about..... for me personally, such a design only misleads me more. stylistically, it looks good on the dial, but it does not facilitate my dial reading... on the contrary. I think that my brain is exposed to a greater effort trying to understand what each DIFFERENT hour marker suggests..... I'm more for consistency and clarity, I usually opt for a dial with a clear and identical style for each hour marker ... as a variation, if all your watches have identical hour markers, you could add a little something different. but if you want improved legibility, this is not at all easier than a dial with markers in the same style. depends on your purpose

Cincinnati

)))) for me, the california dial suggests that the watch manufacturer cannot decide between styles, and does not understand which target group to target)))

idk bout the past and WW 2 stuff, but it seems that nowadays, the manufacturers who opt for this type of dial want to capture as large a niche of the public as possible, and to satisfy both those with a more modern taste and those with a more classic taste.... where this indecisive approach makes me be more for something standard in which the dial is EITHER Romanian, OR Arabic. no way this "porridge" of both styles...

HorsePower

I'm indifferent to this style, but my wife loves it.... I think it's a matter of taste.... either way, I think that no matter what people around here tell you, you have to decide for yourself... . until you try it, you won't understand how this dial style SPECIFICALLY resonates with you... after all, it's a style with classic tendencies, and it would be well suited for a formal and office style

Moderatto

the style per se, gives me positive vibes. nowadays, the dials are too twisted and somehow monotonous. so a combination of styles does not hurt. but everything depends on how the california dial fits into the whole concept of the watch, if there are dozens of functions in it, there might be too much design in it. but if on the contrary, the watch is minimalistic with a clean dial, california markers style might look just fine.... so it's about style calibration more than about the California dial style itself

Ocean BLUE

1. the style itself has a special vibe, especially for those who somehow find themselves between the casual and elegant style. I like this style and appreciate all the watches I see with a California dial

2. as @Moderatto said. , it really matters a lot HOW exactly this dial style fits into the whole concept. if the manufacturer opts for California style, I think there should not be any other complications that would add visual "heaviness" to the dial. so the focus must remain specifically on markers, and not on a thousand other aesthetic elements...

3. replica factories can only make small changes in the style of the dials, but they will never change the style of the dials dramatically. after all, the goal of the industry is to bring to the market watches as identical as possible to gens. so, I don't think you will have problems from this point of view

DBP

I've never had such a dial, and I don't think I'll get something like it in the near future. my style is more for something standard. I like the watch to focus on something else, not on the hour markers. I am more interested in the functions of the watch, the bracelet, and its versatility, rather than the design of the hour markers. though, I have nothing against them. it's a specific style for a certain audience and I accept it, but it's not for me)

Maric

guys, sorry for the maybe inappropriate question... but why doesn't anyone post pictures of california dials? through the pictures, it's much clearer what we're talking about here....
so much theory and written explanations))... for what? if everything can be explained with pictures?)))

PS:
these watches are not mine, though, i wish they were))))))

overall, I like the style. it is much cleaner than dials with Roman or Arabic numerals only. But in the end, it all depends on the whole picture. If this style of numeral fits well into the complete concept of the watch - then it is a good option.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.20.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.27.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.02.53.png
    568.4 KB · Views: 0

HahREF5583468

I do not like them!!! I see them as a messy design. hour markers and hands must all be the same, either Arabic or Roman, or stick-like, etc...

I have the impression that the designer was too lazy to carry the aesthetic thought to the end. it is a mixture of styles that is somehow in-between and is neither classic nor modern. it looks like it has no aesthetic taste and it's a bungled job... sorry for my rude opinion, but I can't tell you that I like it when in fact I don't

dancerINTHEdark

weeeeeell, it depends on the type of combination actually.
I have seen models in which only Arabic and Romanian hours are mixed. agree that it is not the most successful combination. it really looks awkward in a way and I didn't like it at all... alternatively, I met nice combinations between Arabic with batons or Romanian with batons. such a combination is much neater and aesthetically more attractive... of course, a lot depends on the dial plate and what the designer puts on it. brands assume many responsibilities when creating California dials... it is very difficult to achieve a balanced and correct design from an aesthetic point of view... so, there are many influencing factors... in general, I accept this type of dial but only if done correctly

Drinky

I think you have to abstract from other people's opinions and listen to your inner opinion. if you resonate with these watches, why are you looking for validation in the opinions of others?))) no offense, just trying to motivate you to have what you like)

after all, Californian design is something subjective, that is, someone likes it, someone doesn't. exactly as it happens with domed or flat dials, or with open or solid casebacks. I think everyone has to choose according to their own preferences. you will make your own conclusion after wearing it and you will not rely on the opinions of others. so, my vote is FOR CALIORNIAN just because it piqued your interest

BenStone

this is my favorite type of california dial. clean, not at all complex in the combination of Arabic and Roman styles. if the manufacturer screws it up with hour markers boldness, the watch turns into total collapse. but here, the Californian looks simply fabulous, with design accents that fall on the edge of the dial and on its center. this calibrates very well "the too much" of hour markers and looks gorgeous)

love this style, but not in all watch models

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 14.02.03-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 14.02.03-min.png
    482 KB · Views: 1

Michelangelo

fabulous approach. I really like them a lot. I still don't have a California watch until now, but I don't rule out having one one day. I like that manufacturers abstract from classic and traditional designs. when you see a mix of concepts (well thought out), it's a pleasure to have such a timepiece. after all, an unskilled designer can ruin any watch, regardless of the type of numerals

Perpetual

what can you not love about this beauty? I like how it looks, but only on the condition that it is not an over-busy dial... I love how the hands are combined with those tringle hour markers. and I like the upper structure with Roman markers and the lower one with Arabic ones. looks nice, and very compelling

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 15.58.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 15.58.45.png
    964.4 KB · Views: 0