do you care for your rep watch differently from the gen watches?

Maric

hey, hi everyone...

Im curious of one thing: how do you behave with your rep watches? taking into account that they are a little different from authentic watches, do you have a special attitude towards them?

I have 3 rep watches in my collection. I never behaved in any special way with them. I maintain it and care for them just like I do with any other authentic watch. but I have a buddy, who is also a replica watch hobbyist. His attitude toward the reps is much more special than the usual ones. He protects them from light, keeps them away from other gadgets so that no magnetic field is created that could affect their operation, and wipes them more often than any other watch.
To my question "why?", he tells me that rep watches are more sensitive because manufacturers use other types of materials, coatings, and finishes that do not last as well as authentic watches. respectively, they are more prone to damage and the special care keeps them functioning and looking neat for longer. He believes that if he behaves with replica watches in the same way as with ordinary ones, they would go out of use much faster and become aesthetically worse.

now I sit and ask myself: am I doing something wrong with my replica watches? how do you care for and maintain them? differently or identically to the usual ones? Why?

curious to hear any opinion πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Rochdale

no, I don't have a special attitude towards reps. I HAVE A SPECIAL ATTITUDE TOWARDS ALL WATCHES, REGARDLESS OF REPS OR GENS. if you love your watches, you love them all the same, no matter how resistant or not they are. after all, any kind of watch can be sensitive to high temperatures, or when it is near gadgets. the magnetic fields influence the bar springs to any mechanical watch, regardless of gen or rep...

what's with this discrimination against watches? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

BusyAsHell

no, I don't have a special attitude towards reps. I HAVE A SPECIAL ATTITUDE TOWARDS ALL WATCHES, REGARDLESS OF REPS OR GENS. if you love your watches, you love them all the same, no matter how resistant or not they are. after all, any kind of watch can be sensitive to high temperatures, or when it is near gadgets. the magnetic fields influence the bar springs to any mechanical watch, regardless of gen or rep...

what's with this discrimination against watches? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I have never heard of discrimination against watches 😁😁😁😁😁

though, I intuit that your friend is afraid that they are too fragile and it's not bad that he wants to keep them in optimal condition. But, from my own experience, I can say that reps are not as sensitive as it seems..... and after all, any watch must be protected from direct sunlight or magnetic fields. I don't see why replica watches are more special. I think your friend is exaggerating a bit))))))). As @Rochdale says, if you are a watch hobbyist, you care for all of them in the same way)

PreciousJohn

I think that your friend's attitude is justified, actually. reps mechanisms are not as stable and shock resistant as those in genuine watches. A hard hit is much more likely to affect the rep watch than the gen one...so, I see sense in your friend's attitude....

besides, many reps are made of 316 steel, while others are made of 904l steel. it is obvious that the first one will be more sensitive to sctratches than those in 904l... so, I don't see anything wrong here....

after all, I think your friend has some previous unpleasant experiences to decide to have such an over- caring attitude

Grigio

I think that your friend's attitude is justified, actually. reps mechanisms are not as stable and shock resistant as those in genuine watches. A hard hit is much more likely to affect the rep watch than the gen one...so, I see sense in your friend's attitude....

besides, many reps are made of 316 steel, while others are made of 904l steel. it is obvious that the first one will be more sensitive to sctratches than those in 904l... so, I don't see anything wrong here....

after all, I think your friend has some previous unpleasant experiences to decide to have such an over- caring attitude
you may be right... reps may indeed be more sensitive than gens...

but I don't understand why @Maric , your friend is more indifferent to gens, as they also need special care... the same periodic cleaning, the same polishing once in a while, the same keeping it away from light... after all, you never know how a watch will withstand a hit or impact, no matter how authentic and resistant it is... so I think it's right to be careful all the time, regardless of their gen or rep status.... All of them need special care: the reps- because they are more sensitive, and the gens because they are cosmically expensive 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

HahREF5583468

oh my gosh... you're talking here as if the replica watches are made of thin glass... these watches are like any other, more or less as heavy, with the same steel materials. where are the ideas that they would be more sensitive? agree with the fact that the internal mechanisms can be a little less qualitative than those of gen Rolex, omega, patek, etc... but do you have any idea how many watches are available on the market with mediocre mechanisms? and I'm not referring to replicas, but to microbrands that start with the same mechanisms that those found in replica watches.... after all, replica factories like many other authentic watch factories use standard mechanisms like quartz. they are all about the same kind. so the movements of replica watches are not significantly different from those of the market from microbrands. so chill, it's possible that your friend suffers from some OCD or something like that and likes to take care involuntarily.....

as has been said here, if you love watches, you will love them all and take care of them all the same way...

dancerINTHEdark

and what about gen watches that turn out to be more sensitive than the imitated ones? 😁😁😁😁😁 I met a lot of examples of this kind, so NO!!!!! the version with more care for reps does not make sense at all!!!!!!
it is possible that a 100,000 USD watch will be used with accuracy and care for its price))))) but that does not mean that the replicas are really that sensitive πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ they are watches like any other and every one is prone to breaking with the same probability ;)

Drinky

I think I would be more careful from the point of view of contact with water. From what I know, reps are a bit more sensitive to water, even if many factories say they are water resistant... I wouldn't dare to trust this statement 100% and I would probably keep it away from water, which I wouldn't do with an authentic water resistant watch....

for the rest, I don't see why I should be more cautious 😁😁😁 with all watches you have to be cautious i guess 😁😁

Encantadore59935

funny thread and funny your friend 😁😁😁
thank god the replica industry produces amazing quality watches, whenever you know where to buy it. if you are lucky enough to come across a really good rep watch, you have nothing to worry about. it is the same steel as in an ordinary genuine watch. the mechanisms are the same as in ordinary watches. Or, do you think that non-luxury watches, I mean those of little-known brands, have different mechanisms than the reps? They are about the same quality, so no big difference... the only thing I would worry about are the replicas that have a gold coating. as far as I know, the layer is sometimes thin and wipes off quickly. in general, I avoid reps watcyhes with gold coating for my safety. otherwise, they are watches just like all the others

bombonio

maybe this is a thing that my dad taught me or i don't know, but i care about all the staff that i have.
i think that it is important to care about everything that you have the same way. if there is a thing that costs 10 times more than another thing that you have, it doesn't mean that you dont have to care about it.

so what if my rep is not as expensive as my genuine one? I have to take care of it if i want to use it longer. in fact, I go for cleaning it and checking how it works all the time. i take my genuine watches along with my replica watches with me and my watchmaker always says that this is a good thing to do.
I wear all my watches the same way and I pay attention to wear and use it wisely.

Evecusbaby

taking care of something that you love is different from taking care of something that you don't.
This is why I think that people that don't care about their reps the same as about their genuine watches are never going to tell me that they actually love that watches. If you dont care about a rep watch that you own, means that you don't like it at all. Otherwise, you care about all of them equally. It is impossible not to care about something that you like, and it doesn't matter if it costs you a lot of money or not.
That's just my opinion.

bombonio

taking care of something that you love is different from taking care of something that you don't.
This is why I think that people that don't care about their reps the same as about their genuine watches are never going to tell me that they actually love that watches. If you dont care about a rep watch that you own, means that you don't like it at all. Otherwise, you care about all of them equally. It is impossible not to care about something that you like, and it doesn't matter if it costs you a lot of money or not.
That's just my opinion.
I cannot agree with you more!
This is the best thing that you actually can say!
If you don't take care of your watch, means that you don't care about it at all! It is so strange for me to hear that I don't take care of it but I love it. It is impossible actually. When you love something you just want to take care and to do your best to make it look cool and always as new.

BenStone

)) somehow I understand your friend)) with the watches thing, the answer is purely psychological. just because they are imitations, one has the impression that they are more fragile than the genuine ones. some people, without realizing it, think that replica watches are inferior in quality and can break faster. that's why one adopts an exaggerated attitude and care. but this usually only applies to the first and second replica watches. later, they realize that the imitations are not at all inferior in resistance to the original ones and start to behave habitually with them. after all, imitations are not made of fragile glass) and they last quite well if you take care of them. all watches need a caring attitude, regardless of whether it is genuine or imitation. but I really don't see any difference in how they operate and last over time, whenever you take care of them properly. so you give your friend time) he will come to this conclusion by himself)

Perpetual

c'mon guys.... as if the replica watches are made of plasticine.... either your friend had an unpleasant experience in the past, or he made an incorrect impression about reps.
rep watches are from:
-stainless steel, either 316 or 404 or 904 degrees
-glass: sapphire crustal or mineral/hesalite
-casings: SS
-bezels: ss or ceramic or aluminum
-internal mechanisms: eta copies or asian for aaa-grade watches, quite reliable

which materials do you find fragile in this composition? many authentic watches have the exact same materials... so let's look at things objectively and rationally, and not through the lens of your friend's OCD

any watch needs care, regardless of its authentic or replica origin

Cheers!

GeorgeClintonBiden

leave your friend alone and take care of your watches... in the end, everyone draws their own conclusions based on the experiences they've had... you people here criticize him so much... but maybe he has had a bad experience with one of the replica watches and is worried that the one he had previously would not be as poorly functioning.

as if all your replica watches are always ideal... who among you has 100% ideal replicas? Some are good, others are of poorer quality... it's normal to take care of a fragile watch more than a steady and assembled firmly and compact one... so I think it's pointless to continue the thread, unless your friend doesn't come and share his previous experience... it is not right to assume conclusions without knowing all the details of history

CityBreak

I see sense in what your friend is doing... whether we like it or not, replica watches are not identical to authentic ones....

for example, let's take a stainless steel replica watch. SS always remains a resistant material. But, don't forget that different replica factories produce differently the replica watches. some of them use solid stainless steel, someone else uses SS with reduced density to save material. in the second case, the replica watch is lighter and respectively - a priori more sensitive to cracks and impacts.

let's take another example, that of gold-coated replica watches. while the genuine gold luxury watches are made of solid gold - obviously they are mega resistant. but a replica is only polished with gold. and as we know, this layer may fade with time because it is only a thin external layer... THEN WHY DO YOU SAY THAT THE FRIEND is pedantic WHEN HE HAS A MORE SPECIAL ATTITUDE TOWARDS REPLICA WATCHES? after all, he assures himself, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

none of us knows exactly how replica watches are produced. some are more solid others more fragile. hence the different price. so, I don't see any problem in taking extra care

UdlinINTEL

I'm just about to have a replica watch, the first replica, actually. I don't think I will take care of it any differently than the other watches I've ever had. Only if it doesn't come in bad quality (I hope that never happens) and I feel it is too fragile...

I think it depends on the quality of the rep watch. If it is a bit loose, the gloss on top is erased, and the crystal scratches quickly and easily, then you definitely need to be more careful with it. if it's a good and solid imitation, I don't see why it would need more attention. After all, all watches need care and attention, so you understand me correctly

RoyaInk

before answering, we must clearly understand that the replica industry has different quality categories.

Tell me, please, how many Chinese watches bought from the boutique on the corner of the street withstand falls, shocks, impacts????? I think none of them. It is enough to blow on them and their crystal cracks. So, the idea that a replica needs more attention has some truth. At least, you should be more careful with a cheap replica watch because it is really sensitive due to poor-quality materials.

If we are talking about super clones, I have no objection. These are indeed durable in wear and tear and last for years. They are not as susceptible to impacts.

Either way, I AGREE THAT ANY WATCH NEEDS CARE FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT WE LOVE THEM

HorsePower

in my experience, I've had to deal with 2 types of reps: the gorgeous ones and the awful ones. The awful ones, I threw in the closet and never wore them or took care of them. IN NO WAY, BECAUSE THEY WERE IMPOSSIBLE TO WEAR AND IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOOK AT THEM SO AWFUL. On the other hand, I always had a special care for the good ones, of superior quality. I always take care of them and clean them often, lubricate them, and treat their scratches because I care about them. However, I do the same with my non-reps. A good replica watch does not require different care than ordinary ones, no matter how expensive they are. you have to treat them as you treat any accessory that you care about and that means smth to you. Otherwise, nothing special

Ethan

I don't understand how a true watch enthusiast could make the difference in the care he has towards one or multiple watches.
in my understanding, caring for accessories is more about how caring the owner is as a person.
I mean, if the man is essentially clean and loves to live in a clean environment, then he will take care of all his accessories equally without making the difference that it is gen or replica...
at least I know for sure that I wouldn't make the difference (I don't have a rep watch yet, but I plan to get one)