Do you use watch complications to the fullest?!

Steve

I was curious...

how functional are all the complications and functions of the watches for everyday activities? I mean, I refer to those watches that contain many functions such as date, calendar, chrono, pushers, tachy, etc... I like such watches, they look impressive. maybe I'll get one of these.... but I'm stopped by the thought that it'll be interesting the first period with it (like a new toy for a kiddo 😁😁) and I'll stop using the functional attributes after a while... so, the question is - how reasonable is it to get such a watch from the perspective of functionality🤓
thank you ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.28.png
    661.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.36.png
    983.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.07.44.png
    964.7 KB · Views: 0

UdlinINTEL

no, honestly. well, at the beginning, I'm curious to use almost all of them. then, I limit myself to 2-3 functions. As a rule, the complications in a watch are more for pleasure than for functionality) the iPhone replaced all the functions of my watch)

CityBreak

I don't buy watches with functions I don't use!!!

it seems to me that there was another thread with a similar topic, though it's not difficult for me to repeat: what's the point of a multifunctional watch if you don't even use the functions? get what suits your needs

GeorgeClintonBiden

it seems to me that there was another thread with a similar topic, though it's not difficult for me to repeat: what's the point of a multifunctional watch if you don't even use the functions? get what suits your needs
I disagree.
why not have a watch that illustrates horological complexity, even if you don't use its functions?! After all, watches are not only a time-telling accessory, but also a piece of art (if I can call it that). Look at Tourbillons: this complication / function was developed to balance the functioning of the pocket watch when it moved chaotically in the owner's pocket. Today, this complication has no functional value, but a historical one that shows the mastery of watchmaking. By the way, Turbillon watches are among the most expensive. Why would tat be, if no one uses it?
So, taking a watch only for daily needs is somehow... well,,, basic, no offense

Perpetual

I don't use them, but I love having complications in my watch... I'm not enough with just a clean dial and simply hour hands and numerals. Well, maybe for a formal watch it will do, but anyways, I'm fascinated by how the complications work and how precise and complex they are

So, I don't see anything wrong in loving complications and functions you don't need

Michelangelo

I don't really agree with your point of view, sorry. I mean, those who opt for ultra-functional watches with plenty of complications should be scientists if they use all the functions of a watch?! :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Let's take a Breitling Navitimer. This watch can calculate fuel consumption and plenty of other flight data. Does this mean that only pilots are Breitling's target audience? So wrong...

I personally love this line of watches. I have no idea how all those calculations in the watch are used and I don't care either. However, I bought a replica specifically because I love the design of the watch and because it serves multiple personal purposes. So, yes, it's kind of stupid to choose a watch only by limiting yourself to your main needs, as someone here already said...

Perpetual

I don't really agree with your point of view, sorry. I mean, those who opt for ultra-functional watches with plenty of complications should be scientists if they use all the functions of a watch?! :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Let's take a Breitling Navitimer. This watch can calculate fuel consumption and plenty of other flight data. Does this mean that only pilots are Breitling's target audience? So wrong...

I personally love this line of watches. I have no idea how all those calculations in the watch are used and I don't care either. However, I bought a replica specifically because I love the design of the watch and because it serves multiple personal purposes. So, yes, it's kind of stupid to choose a watch only by limiting yourself to your main needs, as someone here already said...
I didn't say they wouldn't be valuable. I just answered @Steve's question. the question was "if we use the complications" - I said no, because I really don't use them. If we talk about practicality, there is no sense in a multifunctional watch if you don't use its functions. If we're talking about aesthetics (and that's what you're talking about), then practicability goes to plan 2. In this case, you can get any watch you want as long as you resonate with it from the perspective of design and technical grandeur. So, you confuse 2 opposite aspects. the question was about the functional validation, and you are talking about the aesthetic value

Maric

nope, I don't use them all) and I don't know any person who uses them all)) I think that complex watches are more statement accessories than functions) it's nice when you see an imposing watch on smb's wrist, it somehow gives a feeling of temperament and personality. Though, I think that smartphones long ago took over the functionality of watches so no need to complicate with an automatic/manual timepiece) just contemplating its beauty

Rochdale

why do you all talk in general terms and not explain exactly which functions you are referring to?

personally, I know plenty of business people who use their watches to the fullest nd not for showing-off. They cannot imagine going on a business trip to another country without using their dual zone function and other similar complex functions. So, it's not a good idea to generalize here. those who really appreciate watchmaking and its essence know each function and use it to the maximum

if you refer to functions like temperature measurement in watches, obviously no one uses it
So, please be more specific, otherwise the discussion turns into nonsense

BusyAsHell

I was curious...

how functional are all the complications and functions of the watches for everyday activities? I mean, I refer to those watches that contain many functions such as date, calendar, chrono, pushers, tachy, etc... I like such watches, they look impressive. maybe I'll get one of these.... but I'm stopped by the thought that it'll be interesting the first period with it (like a new toy for a kiddo 😁😁) and I'll stop using the functional attributes after a while... so, the question is - how reasonable is it to get such a watch from the perspective of functionality🤓
thank you ;)
r u kidding me? surely i do. I love the complications in watches, their various functions. It is very satisfying to use them, to set them. You have to have a special respect for horology in order to use watches to their maximum potential. if you don't really understand much in this science, you just stick to decorative functions that you just show off to others, as if you understand something about them. so lame...

SwInEIGh

nope, i don't use them. I think that the complications and the multitude of functions of a watch illustrate a certain vision of the watch manufacturer. That is, at the time of creation, the manufacturer wants a watch for aviators, for example. He designs it with all the functions necessary for aviators. And while the watch is available on the market, enthusiasts buy it because they like the watch, and not because they are aviators.

I love complications and various functions in watches. Even if I don't use them, I love to contemplate and analyze them. Ultimately, the manufacturers demonstrate the skills and talents that they have accumulated throughout their history. why not transpose all technical knowledge into a watch? Just because the public won't use it?! Absurd. Watches are far superior to just telling time. These are calculation tools, if we look back in history. And it is not necessary to use the perpetual calendar, for example, to admire its beauty and complexity

RoyaInk

I don't use them either. Frankly speaking, I barely get to use the subdials for minutes and seconds 😁😁. As a rule, just a quick glance at the time is enough, not to mention more complex functions

I don't think it's a problem to wear watches with functions you don't use. Jewelry has no functional value, only aesthetics. As well as the watches - many of them are statement pieces. in the end, if we were to wear watches with exclusively necessary functions for us, I think that all r watches must be time-only 😁

so, I prefer to enjoy functional complexity as an art form more than as a necessity