Domed or flat sapphire?

DBP

it depends on the model of the watch.... for example, I wouldn't imagine tudor pelagos watches with domed crystal. it seems to me that the flat one suits it so well, that if it were a domed xtal, the watch would not have the same aesthetic value....
xtal is only one element of the whole picture. I agree with those who say that things must be looked at as a whole...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 13.15.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 13.15.42.png
    610.4 KB · Views: 0

Simposium5338

it depends on the model of the watch.... for example, I wouldn't imagine tudor pelagos watches with domed crystal. it seems to me that the flat one suits it so well, that if it were a domed xtal, the watch would not have the same aesthetic value....
xtal is only one element of the whole picture. I agree with those who say that things must be looked at as a whole...
agree on that)))
initially I didn't really appreciate flat sapphires in Tudors either, until I understood their aesthetic value. now I can't imagine a pelagos with domed, it would be a total dealbreaker....
I think that if the watchmaking house is really talented, it will know how to fit both a domed, and a flat crystal in an original design concept, so that it looks harmonious. I think it is incorrect to discuss flat and domed sapphires in a separate context from the integral watch...

Cincinnati

definitely domed. the flat looks cheap, without aerodynamics, without charm... even the pelagos would look wonderful with a slight curvature. not necessarily to produce a very convex xtal, but a curvature of the back a few degrees would add a specific and welcome aristocracy

dancerINTHEdark

the Master Control Date has a flat sapphire that fits very well into the dial concept. if it had a domed sapphire, it seems to me that the dial would not look as clean, pure and clear. and if it was domed, the watch would be higher, which would make it look less slender than it looks.....

on the other hand, the Heritage classic Longines has a very similar design to the Master Control, but it has a domed xtal . And it seems that both are dress, both have a sector dial, both with a round case and polished bezel, but the domed dial gives it a sort of vintage air that is missing from the Master control. so I can't say that I love one or the other more. I like both. it just depends on what kind of watch I need. if it's something vintage, I'm sure I'll opt for a domed one

Maric

DEPENDS ON THE CONTEXT!!!!!!
Or, you have to look at the whole picture. I can't really say which one I like better without understanding what watch we are talking about and its style. flat or domed and the way these look must match the overall watch concept... so, maybe we can bring some concrete examples for comparison???!!!

HahREF5583468

Let's start from the premise that the domed option is not as "mirroring" when the watch is under water and does not offer a clear view when you look at it from one side, unlike the flat option. Respectively, I resonate more with flat crystals. It doesn't distort the image (which is bothering and confusing) like the doomed ones. In addition, in sunlight, the doomed is not able to capture the light as flashy as the flat one.

And honestly speaking, I don't think it's different resistance between these 2 types matter that much. So, let's admit that the watch face (the watch crystal I mean) is so small that the pressure does not necessarily fall on it when the watch is under water. How many of you actually dive to great depths with your watch? especially if it's about a replica that resists (or maybe doesn't resist water at all) up to 25 meters?! I'm not referring to the divers professionals of course, but to the mediocre population here. And I'm not against watches up to 1000 meters absolutely nothing, except that I don't think anyone really tests this depth in watches, considering the human lungs simply explode at this depth, not to mention the watch.....
in short, I am for the flat type from an aesthetic point of view. as for functionality, I don't dive more than a meter under water, so the visibility under water really doesn't interest me

Encantadore59935

Am I the only one who doesn't care that much about the crystal?! I look at the bezel, the functions, the finish, and only then the crystal. if the first 3 comfort me, I have no problem if the crystal is domed or flat

Beng

Am I the only one who doesn't care that much about the crystal?! I look at the bezel, the functions, the finish, and only then the crystal. if the first 3 comfort me, I have no problem if the crystal is domed or flat
not the only one...
i never understood the idea of going on with the crystal thing...
i dont know... well what does it matter especially if we talk about replica... well it is not going to make such a big change.
and you are right as long as you go for the bezel and the functions of the watch, or even the first appearance that you look for in a watch it is way more important than the crystal.
Sometimes is just starts with the actual fact.. do i like how it looks? then i go for functions and some important details that you can notice at the beginning. The most important details and that's all.

BenStone

I had many models of watches, and before I didn't even pay much attention to the type of flat or doomed crystal. I buy them for functionality and for the needs of my work. I also had flats and up to plexy superdome models. and if speaking honestly, I didn't notice any major difference either in the aesthetic somehow influencing them or in the resistance to some damage.

now that I'm thinking better, it seems that hesalite dials with a slight domed surface are closer to me. i feel them better to the touch and can understand better if they need a polishing for micro invisible scratches or not. it's more difficult for me with flats and in addition, it's more difficult to remove the mini scratches. now if I were to choose any watch, it would be a domed one for sure

Grigio

domed are ok whenever the curvature is not too angled... too domed is already part of the vintage watch class, so doesn't make sense much in modern pieces.... though, flat are ok by me as well... I think what matters the most is that the watchmaker fits the watch with the sapphire that mostly corresponds to its style

GeorgeClintonBiden

if I'm honest, I won't comment on flat or domed sapphire, you already have plenty of comments and suggestions... I'd rather look at the watch models as a whole. from the 2 options proposed by you, explorer and ranger, I would opt for Tudor ranger. it seems more modern, cleaner and somehow more youthful. it's closer to my style. in addition, I admire how the flat glass looks in it. Though, I think that flat would not look as good on other watch models... so the whole picture is what matters here the most

RoyaInk

I like it when the watch has only a slight curvature in the crystal. If the domed angle of the curvature is too exaggerated, then definitely not my style. I think the flat ones suit casual watches well. I can't imagine a dress watch with a flat crystal

Perpetual

flat most to my liking.... there might be few exceptions with doomed one, but preferentially, I opt for flat. Looks more modern and versatile

Ethan

I accept doomed but not very doomed. flat are also a good idea for me... it is important that the crystal does not compromise the legibility and transparency of the dial. for the rest, I don't care much if it's doomed or a flat

Eugene

that's the last thing i pay attention to... as long as the domed crystal is not too domed, it's a viable option for me.. the same way is the flat one... i mean, if i like the watch as a whole, the crystal is not a big deal to me

StevenOhio

lately, I've been paying attention to flat crystal, without realizing it. I'm still looking for watches like I'm buying something new, and most of them are flat. I kind dislike the reflection I see in doomed ones.

MiracuLuis

it doesn't make much difference to me... I never buy watches based on the type of crystal. if the watch as a whole suits my taste, I go for it regardless of the type of crystal