G shock watches...really?!

SwInEIGh

Newly here,
Guys, I do love different types of watches but I guess I’m “the traditional” guy. The simple and minimalist dials seem the most attractive to me. I can read them easily and a time-only face is all that I look for in a watch. To be honest, I’m neither fond of chrono’s. Millions of subdials and pushers…. Are they really functional? I mean I believe that most owners of such watches don’t really use those functions. And the subdials… it is pretty hard for me to track and read all those tiny indicators. And again. I think I would never need such functions:👀 But, I guess it’s only my personal perspective.
On top of that, what’s the big hype around the G shock watches? Maybe these might be functional for specific sports types like triathlon, idk. But, why would a normal consumer have one? Bulky and not at all attractive, at least for me. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are heatedly looking for such types of watches and are even ready to spend whatever it takes to have them. I feel like I’m missing something here. But I just can't view in them anything else than toy-like accessories (forgive me, watch brands)
There must be a reason why enthusiasts see them attractive despite their awful design. Sorry for the words. After all, a watch is always a personal taste choice. But still, what’s the point? 😳 I’m all ears…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.08.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.08.57.png
    980.1 KB · Views: 0
G-shock watches are mainly to resist shocks 😁 the appeal of some timepieces is not necessarily the design. On the contrary, people might look for functionality when they need trackers, fitness activities, etc… You might probably consider that an Apple Watch would perfectly do.

But think from adventurous sports practitioners’ perspective, bicyclists, for instance. If they aggressively fall, it’s improbable that their Apple Watch resists the impact even though they are pretty durable. A G shock would totally, instead. So, yes, you are right when thinking of a G shock as a watch for a specific audience. You just probably don't know that audience closely 😁

YellowSnowman

G chocks are the best options when it’s about taking a knock. I think you wouldn’t take your Apple watch when climbing mountains))
One of my neighbors had his G shock Casio nipped a couple of months ago by his anxious doggy and the watch resisted all its tentations in destroying it. Not a single scratch on the watch.
As for the design, I think you just got the wrong pictures. Some models are indeed appealing. They have a sort of fun in them. But, plenty of watch enthusiasts look exactly for fun in their watches. Take a look here, these pics are really delightful, I think

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.51.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.51.47.png
    834.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.53.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 17.53.19.png
    503 KB · Views: 0

YellowSnowman

Every watch type has a specific system for protecting it against a specific negative factor. But G-shocks have been designed to withstand ALL kinds of factors :) water, temperature change, mug 😁 if u wish)) So, think of a G shock as an accessory to resist ruggedness. They can stand against whatever you want and still function perfectly.

Don’t expect much from the design, as designers have already done what they possibly could 😁 Some G-Shocks don’t even feature a second hand). But, considering their functionality and resistance, the design can be forgiven ))
Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.42.02.png
here's the second hand free G Shock :D

igivente

Just skip the design part) If design is what you are looking for, you can take a look at Breitling, Panerai, Audemars or other luxury brands. Casio had another priority in mind when it first designed g shocks. These are indeed created to resist vibrations, severe impacts and all type of conditions.
That’s why the “G” comes from the “Gravitational” ) So, these are all about the strictly necessary watch for sports and outdoor activities. Their Chrono, alarm, WR ability- all are specifically integrated to allow wearers to take them whenever they want without concern about a potential break. These are rocky watches, so don’t count much on an attractive aspect)) they have another purpose)

unAwsome

btw, the recent video I watched about the useless features in a watch suggested what an awful idea is to integrate an electronic hour display into an analogue case. it's confusing more the wearer and reduces the value of the analogue construction

cheetahapple

not everything relies on design... some watches are manufactured according to a certain purpose. and g-shocks are designed to serve in the most critical conditions and surroundings. sports people and those who perform activities frequently see them as adjuvant tools, not as watches

diaboliquerye

Some time ago I had a Casio Men's G-Shock Analog-Digital Watch GA-100C-8ACR, Grey/Neon Blue. Took it from Amazon. What can I say? It took me some time until I resonated with its convoluted setup. The bad part was that the lightning from the led light had no impact on the digital display. Also, the hands covered the digital display windows at times. The numbers’ visibility was badly impaired, making it impossible to read the time normally. The good of it was the blues hands that made a good contrast. Many G-shock watches look heavy. But, they fit pretty well actually and the weight is not as uncomfortable as it might visually seem. After a while, I got used to it. Not a bad watch, in fact. But only for the day period. As for its functionality- its good to have one in case of an active lifestyle. Its practicality overweights design. Though, not all G-shocks look bad)

LIgHtere

The g-shock watches’ functionality substantially overweights all design issues. These are shock-resistant, 20 bar water-resistant, solar-powered (not all of them, but most), readable in the dark, some of them can be operated through the smartphone (the GA B2100BNR-1A is an example), carbon core guard structure, 38 time zones, city code display daylight saving mode, alarms, countdown timer, full auto calendar, 7-9 months of battery operating time and many more. Considering the spectrum of features, the design automatically turns “beautiful” :D

vingNEgy

Who do you think a watch should necessarily be good-looking?) try to remember the first computers looking like 15 kg boxes 😂 instead, what a technical potential they had : DDD
Also, not all g-shock watches look awful) plenty of models have a pretty decent look. And yes, their primary purpose is resistance and multidimensional functionality. How would u expect watch manufacturers to integrate tens of functions in a watch case? The robustness of g-shocks is proportional to their functions. It’s impossible not make a minimalist-looking watch with so many functions and with such incredible resistance 😉

Ghosterry

I used to wear a Casio G-Shock GST-B500BD-1A9 some time ago. After having worn pretty minimalist watches previously, the g-shock felt slightly uncomfortable for a while. It looked too bold for me. But, it was only because of the modest watches I had been using before. I got used to it, and I loved its technical specs. I was easily operating it through my smartphone and forgot about batteries and manual windings etc…200 m water res., and incredible shock resistance. I had no worries with it literally. So, it just takes time to get used to it. Also, not all models look awful…
here is a pretty handsome "guy"...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 10.08.59-min.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 10.08.59-min.png
    533.6 KB · Views: 0

sEVENDEM

@SwInEIGh Seems that u have nothing to do with sports)) if u did, u would understand the G-shock purpose and value))) indeed these watches are meant to resist everything, literally. On the other hand, how do you think a watch should look, considering that it has to be phenomenally resistant to any type of corrosion, shocks, impacts, etc…?) And also, not all G-shocks are ugly, indeed:D

Actually, these types of watches have their specific audience. If it’s not related to sports, these watches are closely related to a pop culture whose adepts have massively promoted G-shocks in the past few years. These have been in trend around 2020 and seem to take the lead again in 2022-23

fishwoddy12

I’m afraid am on the same page with @SwInEIGh :D be they resistant and all u want but G-shocks look extremely heavy and overpowering oil the wrist. There too much functionality in it turning it into a computer on the wrist rather than a watch

TropiKanCHO

Got from Amazon a Casio Men's 'G SHOCK' Quartz Resin Casual Watch GA-700-7ACR some years ago. Took some months until I got used to its multiple functions and sets on the case. But, I needed it because of my cycling competition and I wasn’t sure about the durability of my smartwatch in case of some incidents. If not because of my competitions, I would never have one just for fun…what I can say is that it is extremely useful and easily manageable. It solved many of my organizational necessities and tracked multiple tasks. Remained satisfied indeed. Got quickly used to its massive dimensions, considering that usually I wear modest watches. In terms of functions, it is reliable enough to not pay attention to its robustness. Resistant to all kinds of impacts. For sports practitioners, g-shocks are indispensable.

whySOniCE456

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 12.18.41-min.png
that's my precious little baby... how can u say it's ugly? 😭😭😭

seriously speaking, I got it not because of its design but for its functional features. I loved its technical capacity and utility that I came to see it really handsome aesthetically. you have to own one and only then will understand its true value