GS new release

Myryopod

GS announced some time ago the release of 2 new GMTs: SBGM253 and SBGJ275. You will see in the pictures that the 2 transmit 2 totally opposite messages. ONE has a sporty message and the other is all about elegance.

The sportier SBGJ275 version comes with a sky-blue dial that features clouds and some sea fragments. also, the brand added the peak that can be seen in Grand Seiko Studio Shizukuishi. all these come outlined with a crystal gmt rotating bezel. This indicates the time of 3 zones in parallel.

As you can tell, we are talking here about a stainless steel case as GS is a true fan of this material. also the sporty guy is water resistant up to 200 meters. The watch's case back is transparent and you can see the titanium oscillating weight in it. The watch runs on 9S86 high-beat GMT movement.

The other option, the SBGJ275, is a bit more moderate in terms of technical functions. It has a more gorgeous and elegant look, while it is water resistant only up to 30 meters (why this difference though?).

It lacks the bezel and obviously, lume filling in markers, running on a 9S66 GMT movement. Clean, bright, sky blue dial.

The sporty one will be available in 2,000 pieces initially, in September. From what I understand, it will start with 7.6k. For the elegant option, we will have to wait until October, with a price of 5.6k and limited to 1,700 pieces.

My subjective opinion...
Dials are superb. GS knows how to make them the best of all at the moment. These always turn my head and I never cease to be amazed by their details. Dial textures look really soft and at the same time so rich. Especially the sports option. However, it seems to me that the bezel does not really fit into the concept. It's too loud in contrast to soft dial, don't u think? How about the date window at 4 o'clock in the sports model? As a rule, I have nothing against date windows, and I really liked them at the 4 o'clock. But, it seems too big in this sports timepiece. Such a window would suit the elegant model well. Or am I wrong?

As for the elegant model, what do you think about the 30 meters water resistance? I mean, I know it's not a sports watch, but it's a GMT, and 30 meters is a bit short for a modern gmt watch, isn't it?

In short, pour here all the comments, opinions, and impressions.... I need to understand how correctly or not I perceive this new release

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 13.44.26-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 13.44.26-min.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 13.49.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 13.49.53.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 0

cheetomargheritto

I haven't really followed the evolution of GS tbh. But hear around that the brand is developing rapidly and in some aspects, it is even more reliable than rolex. So, I started to consider this watchmaker closer. I don't know the previous watches too much to be able to make an unbiased comparison, but from what I can see, it is clear that the purposes of these two watches are different. One wiht a sportier nature, the other with a more elegant one. It's a normal thing for dress watches to be less technically advanced. So GS seems to have targeted different audiences here

Love the chromatics in these two pieces and love the neat dials. The formal one, though, lacks something. Probably, a wider bezel would fit into the context better. otherwise, it lacks a design highlight: too neat dial with a too neat casing with almost no bezel.... the sporty model is very well balanced both in design and in the technical profile

Cinar73967

SBGJ275- like it more. I'm afraid I might get bored of the cloudy blue dial at a certain moment, the cleaner the better. technical specs are wonderful in both models. GS is a wonderful watchmaker in all its vectors: design, features, durability, and movements