Has the BP43 gone crazy with the price?

Moderatto

There smth I just don't get about genuine IWC Pilots watches. It seems that the simple stainless steel option is the most expensive of the entire Pilots range. But if I analyze, I don't really find justification for this price difference.
If we talk about exact models:

The ordinary Big Pilot: the price is around 3k, plus or minus. Wonderful design, fabulous mechanism with 7 days of power reserve. A beautiful compilation of configurations. The price is somewhat justified, in my opinion;

- for comparison, the 41mm and 43mm chronograph with the date function is much cheaper for the price. But why? This is a CHRONOGRAPH which, a priori, is more expensive, as a rule. All chronographs have a higher price than the standard options because it is about more accurate precision and a more complex functionality;

-another comparison model is the Mark model. This one is also cheaper, even if it includes the date function, and it has a smaller case, which I suppose, entails more headaches in the process of making the watch. It is a much more meticulous thing. Why would it be cheaper then?

And of course, the hero of the discussion, the BP43, which, by the way, has nothing but time indicators, costs around 10k 🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹. FOR WHAT? It looks good and decent, I agree, but what is the reason for the high price, without even a date function? is it just about the in-house movement that raises the price so much? because other differences are only to its detriment...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 16.32.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 16.32.44.png
    632.9 KB · Views: 0

Ocean BLUE

I agree that the price doesn't make any sense.
However, I tend to think that the price is very high because people are specifically looking for this set, complication-free and 43mm diameter... that is, it is a desirable model, even if it doesn't have no specific functionality.
IWC knows what the world is looking for in its collection of accessories and takes advantage of it.,..
there is also the 46mm alternative which is much cheaper... but how many people are ok with such a diameter?

DBP

idk how good the 43mm alternative is for a huge 46mm lol..... 43mm is way too big for me, even if I would want to get it, I wouldn't get it because of the size too big... so, I don't know what market share you are talking about here

Myryopod

some reasons are:

1. you guessed well about the mechanism... the rest of the models use partilly in house. and BP43 is somehow a watch that illustrates the brand's own maximum capacity;

2. even if it is a relatively large 43mm model, it is one of the most requested anyway. don't forget that we are talking about an aviator here, which a priori cannot be small in diameter. respectively, for an aviator, the watch has a rather modest diameter.

3. look at point 1, the movement is supposed to have a stunning finish. and the brand takes advantage of it....

either way, I don't really understand the difference between the prices either... I would have understood a difference of 1-2k, but not more than 5k

YupyLuk

I also think that the difference is mostly justified by the different movements, even if I think it's too big price difference. the movements for Mark come from Val Fleurier and are not even partially from IWC. The BP43 one is completely in-house, with ceramic details and a much more professional, careful and delicate finish... I'm not very good at mechanisms, so someone more educated could explain more...

Aesthetically, I embrace BP43 more. its crown is more iconic and adds a distinguished vibe, even the dial is much more iconic. and honestly speaking, the alternative with the date seems to me to be an absolute error, IWC should never have included it. this BP looks really good, I'm thinking of replacing my Expl with it, but I'm still not sure how the 43mm will fit on my wrist

HorsePower

give it time; the watch looks very good on the wrist. it's just an initial price. it will be brought down in time

Simposium5338

give it time; the watch looks very good on the wrist. it's just an initial price. it will be brought down in time
nice initial price for a watch without any special function)))) 😁😁😁
this is the perfect example for cases when the brand's name works greatly) if this watch had been produced by some microbrand, the world would say that it is crazy to ask for this price.... but if it's an IWC, then it makes sense 🤌🤌🤌😂😂😂😂😂... the eternal pursuit of brands 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Cincinnati

sometimes the watchmakers set the highest prices for the most rated models, even if they do not have a rich functionality. from the entire PB range, this is one of, if not the most versatile and for the taste of a large niche. not everyone loves hyper-dimensional watches, and not everyone loves busy dials. so this is a good in between. respectively, the price is set according to the demand, in order to bring income if the other models do not bring enough profit

dancerINTHEdark

IWC knew that with this model, it will satisfy what its public has wanted for a very long time, like couple of years agooooo????!!!!!
For this reason, it was certain that the watch would be sought after, even with a high price....this watch was a very successful marketing technique by the way, to advertise as a solution for what the audience was thirsty for :

- a clean BP without hideous complications like the date function;
- a more versatile proportion for medium wrists, not just for giants, and at the same time true to BP design;
- different case from so far with a transparent caseback - modern and requested;
- the option of bracelet adding 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳;
- better functionality due to the exclusion of 7 day measurement csre which only drastically compromised time accuracy...

PS: some pics from the very event DDDD not mine sadly, it's my buddy's pics

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.31-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.31-min.png
    588.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.24-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.24-min.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.18-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.18-min.png
    629.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.11-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.11-min.png
    648.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.05-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.21.05-min.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.20.58-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 14.20.58-min.png
    707.2 KB · Views: 0

BusyAsHell

IWC is not the only one that has gone crazy with the prices... I understand that the public demands this particular model in such construction and proportions, but the price is a bit exaggerated. I really don't see any viable argument that would justify it. ... just because it's an IWC..... luxury staff, well, makes sense.... but with this price, the brand has lost a good part of its potential customers,,, really, I would have thought of if this watch if it was a few thousand cheaper.,. for that price, I have a lot of more viable options instead