how do you deal with scratches on your watches?

Cincinnati

2 of my 316l stainless steel watches already have some scratches on them. I went on vacation with them last month and spent a lot of time on the beach. I rolled around in the sand a lot and didn't realize that the sand was actually scratching them. how could I restore the aesthetic condition at home? in the area where I live, there are not many repair boutiques by near, I would have to go to the neighboring town where I go very rarely. I read some recommendations on the net, but I also found negative reviews about them. so, I would like some suggestions from your own experience.

thanks, folks, and by the way, this forum has something special about it! communication seems to be more efficient! so I hope we have a long-term communication here...

Moderatto

have you tried cwpe code cloth? it usually helps me when it comes to small scratches... true that I don't use the method often... I much prefer professional scratch removal
yes and no, it depends on the type of surface of the watch.... as far as I know, it is used more for polished surfaces. if the steel is brushed, it will become polished :D so it depends on your final goal)))) @Cincinnati hope you didn't use this technique on a brushed surface, did ya? 😁😁

Ocean BLUE

ahahahahaahhahaha... I can't say that cape cod is really the best option))) sorry to destroy myths here :DDDD I know real cases where cape cod caused mictroscratches. the process of removing sctratches is not as simple as google writes about it... personally I spent a few hours until I brought my watch to an acceptable aesthetic condition... I think I will never do it again and I will opt for a professional remival

Cincinnati

have you tried cwpe code cloth? it usually helps me when it comes to small scratches... true that I don't use the method often... I much prefer professional scratch removal
cape is the first thing I thought of too, but I wasn't sure if it was the right method. tnx ;)

Cincinnati

ahahahahaahhahaha... I can't say that cape cod is really the best option))) sorry to destroy myths here :DDDD I know real cases where cape cod caused mictroscratches. the process of removing sctratches is not as simple as google writes about it... personally I spent a few hours until I brought my watch to an acceptable aesthetic condition... I think I will never do it again and I will opt for a professional remival
finally, what method did you use? cape code?

Ocean BLUE

finally, what method did you use? cape code?
Aha
only that the process took a long time, as I processed the scratched surface, micro scratches formed in the adjacent areas... and I had to start the process again n again, changing the cloth so as not to affect the surface of the watch more. if you make the process rigidly, you don't get rid of the scratch marks, you wake up with even more of them

DBP

Can I pour gas on the fire here? :D
why do you want to remove them? personally, I appreciate a watch that has natural scratches much more than a perfectly polished one like new. you know... the pencil that doesn't do anything is the most perfectly sharpened :D I hope you get the hint :D

a watch with a slightly worn off finish and mini scratches as if it seems more mature and with a charisma full of life somehow)

Myryopod

I support the idea! leave it as it is! do you think these are the last scratches? don't be naive and leave the watches the way the are now. you will replace these and soon, I assure you, others will appear, and what will you do thrn? will you polish them endlessly?

if you suffer from OCD, go ahead, but keep in mind that with each polishing, you actually remove a small layer of metal

I've seen hyper-polished watches, you can already see how the metal in some places became uneven due to the change in the surface of the too-frequently polished metal... weight well the pros and cons!

YupyLuk

2 of my 316l stainless steel watches already have some scratches on them. I went on vacation with them last month and spent a lot of time on the beach. I rolled around in the sand a lot and didn't realize that the sand was actually scratching them. how could I restore the aesthetic condition at home? in the area where I live, there are not many repair boutiques by near, I would have to go to the neighboring town where I go very rarely. I read some recommendations on the net, but I also found negative reviews about them. so, I would like some suggestions from your own experience.

thanks, folks, and by the way, this forum has something special about it! communication seems to be more efficient! so I hope we have a long-term communication here...
if you still decide to polish it by yourself, I recommend practicing first. it is desirable to use any surface in stainless steel except for watches :DDDD for an acceptable effect, some skills and practice are necessary. otherwise, as @Ocean BLUE said, you risk making other scratches on the adjacent areas.newly formed scorches are like a side effect of an unskilled technique; so give yourself time for your hand to get used to the technique before applying the procedure to the watch ;)

Cincinnati

if you still decide to polish it by yourself, I recommend practicing first. it is desirable to use any surface in stainless steel except for watches :DDDD for an acceptable effect, some skills and practice are necessary. otherwise, as @Ocean BLUE said, you risk making other scratches on the adjacent areas.newly formed scorches are like a side effect of an unskilled technique; so give yourself time for your hand to get used to the technique before applying the procedure to the watch ;)
ouch, and where do I get a steel surface? only on another watch that I don't feel sorry to throw away 😂😂.... I have some kitchen steel apparel home but that steel is nowhere near as delicate as of the watch😁😁😁

either way, good to know ;) tnx;)

Minimalist

one more vote for what's now!!!! I didn't see any pics on your watch, but I suppose the sand couldn't make it impossible to look at. so I don't really think that the situation is so tragic that you need to polish it.... every scratch in the end is a symbol of the vacation you had and a beautiful memory... every scratch is actually associated with a certain memory, why remove it?!

Matias

don't worry too much! here u hav a pic of my wwtch exactly 2 months since the last polish. on the day of polishing it looked flawless. so what's the point of making things complicated?!!!
niiiiiiiceeeee)))))) and only your watch has such scratches))) that's what makes it unique from all... in addition, if the scratches do not impact the readability of the watch, and are not really noticeable from a distance, what's problem?

Simposium5338

Can I pour gas on the fire here? :D
why do you want to remove them? personally, I appreciate a watch that has natural scratches much more than a perfectly polished one like new. you know... the pencil that doesn't do anything is the most perfectly sharpened :D I hope you get the hint :D

a watch with a slightly worn off finish and mini scratches as if it seems more mature and with a charisma full of life somehow)
@Cincinnati !!!!!! take some notice of this!!!! these sctrachs are truly a good memory from your great momemtns! it's a valuable damage :D

MCGregor

and no one asks what watch it is about..... @Cincinnati is it about something vintage? if so, or at least it has a design with a vintage feel, then I would leave them as they are... but if it's a modern and new watch, from a few months old, of course it's annoying... me neither I would like scratches on my new watch....... and also, keep in mind that indeed, a bit of steel goes away with the polishing process.... if you don't mind it, then it's ok, instead, the watch will look like new.

as for the cape Cod cloth, this is indeed the most optimal solution for the beginning, considering the home remedies u need...
the only disadvantage of it iOS that u really need a lot of patience with it... personally, I didn't have it....... my luck that I have repair boutiques not far from me..... in your case, it would be a solution. ..