is there anything u would change in Rolex vector if u were its CEO?

TropiKanCHO

With its controversial market position, I wonder what would you change if you were the brand CEO?!

This brand stays strong in the watch manufacturing industry and the demand for its pieces never goes down. The brand managed to create its own environment, depending on absolutely no one and producing almost everything in-house. The high audience interest allows it to increase prices without compromising sales. The brand dictates the trends and not vice versa, and Rolex usually ignores the rules, creating its own rules. It makes challenging experiments even though it knows it might be risky (Cellini Moonphase). It knows everything about Haute horology though doesn’t always implement its knowledge in all its collections.

So, what do u think? Is it a good idea to focus on a wide audience when having all expertise and tools to create Haute horology only for the exclusive audience? What would you change if you were the CEO? Or maybe you would leave everything as it already is?

I know many of you have extreme opinions about the brand, so let’s see what can be changed, or if it needs to be changed in general.

BLburNett

Given the expertise and deep knowledge in the field that the brand has, I would think of launching a separate line of Haute HOROLOGY. The brand has all the necessary tools for it. I think making watches for the general audience is a calculated strategy. Don’t think Rolex doesn’t count all the pros and cons. only that it seems like it loses ground on a field in which it could exceed even more: Haute horology. AT LEAST, I'D GIVE IT A TRY.

DanielDJZI

I hardly believe that the current strategy is an irresponsible one. I think the brand calculates earthing, even the negative feedback from the audience is taken into account t. The problem is that it rarely responds to feedback and this creates an obstacle between the company and the fine user.
If I had the chance to change something, it would probably be getting closer to the final user. Maybe a personal construction of your own watch. Every customer can create his own piece based on the available steps, movements, and dials.
But these changes, and any changes can’t me made until the existing strategy is fully analyzed

randomWATCHlover

Its connection with the end user was and is terrible. It does great and sometimes aggressive marketing compared to its competitors and the marketing is efficient enough o catch the public attention. The public attention is caught successfully, but when it comes to really have a piece, the process is awful and full of obstacles, leaving no other choice than dropping it all and opting for other brands with a more customer-oriented buying system. So, there is a huge gap between marketing and the final purchase. Many clientele are lost on the way. In the same context, let’s face it, Rx is not the most customer-oriented watch brand and that’s a huge problem. Despite the big name, powerful experience, and expertise, the end buyer should always be prioritized. This is how it works if u want improvement. Too sad that the house is so deaf in relation to its end users.
That’s what I’d do if I were the CEO, re-establish the right contact with the end user

NETEriuM

Please take into account that there is a business roadmap rather than only the end user. I’m inclined to think that all major c changes might impact the long-term image. Why should it assume the risk when things work more or less well in its favor?!
Except for some upgrades in the after-sales and service system, there aren’t other major critical issues posing to threaten the brand position.

I’d go for the current system improvement rather than other massive changes. Online (warranty)registrations would help much better, also access to additional compounds like bracelets and straps should be eased, With such improvements, the stress around the brand will chill

cheetomargheritto

Wouldn’t change anything in the marketing strategy. All done right. But the system needs to be improved, undoubtedly. Access to bracelets and stuff is a phenomenal idea. Sales channels require massive rethinking.

Also, it seems to me, and not only to me that Rx prioritizes function over design. And it’s to bed in fact. But, the competitors have already begun the rush for the design aggressive upgrade, and Rx risks losing ground here. Stopping iterating the existing models and releasing new collections as a separate branch focused on function AND design might bring some benefits.

randomWATCHlover

close it...
gosh you're so wrong, so wrong...
Its not only watches Rx does phenomenally, it’s also the big projects it was involved in throughout its history…

It has broken the sound barrier in ’47, climbed Everest, and mapped climate Changed in 2007. And the Daytona Cosmo IS a horological art. Seems that you missed it

chunkeymonkey

Glad it’s pure theory here… changing anything in the brand vector would lead to its ruining… u talk here as if like the current CEO doesn’t do anything… true that Rx had some gaps, but who doesn’t? The challenge is to keep the brand up despite the gaps and it does it great imho

PeperoNNi

I dont really see that Rolex is declining right now. If it is, it's because of the market decline overall and not because it does something wrong. with its powerful marketing strategy, it's kept afloat securely and don't see no threat. even though it has another design approach than the holy trinity, the Rolex is still considered a powerful brand and it wouldn't get off the pedestal even with other strong brands increase. Rolex remains Rolex, as Patek and AP does. regardless of the blossom of other watchmaking brands, its position is hardly changeable. so, it does all right, no need for changes

Would think of releasing a completely new model, abstracting from the previous designs. Lately, nothing new has been released except for previous model iterations.

The marketing strategy would leave the same. I, as a person with some knowledge in marketing, understand and align with its direction, even though I’m not the number 1 brand fan

Improve sales channels. The effect of “scarcity” does generate a thirst for Rolex pieces but there is something wrong with the current system. ADs aren’t able to convey the brand voice through their service and potential customers simply step back from their UNcustomer-oriented attitude. Curious, does Rolex know what happens in the AD system?!

I think Rolex calculates everything... Maybe scarcity is produced deliberately. By such means, the audience is kept In tension and doesn't lose focus on the brand. as long as this works, the brand will not change tactics. current CEO keeps it all under control

PpiroJookK88735

to change what? everything was an explanation in al that happens around the brand. Sales go on marvellously, the interest of the public doesn't decrease, the scarce availability removes some waiters leaving room for other waiters in the list and so on. While the rand doesn't record massive losses, there is no any single problem...
people can only want what they want. it doesn't mean that the brand has to quickly change everything according to the public's caprices

ObeisDexter

all of us are experts from aside...
but we forget one small thing: current CEO and all the managing stuff of Rolex is not stupid, and they now what they are doing. they see the numbers and statistics and they stay loyal to their beliefs. I barely believe that `Rolex didn't have discussions on the release of some new lines, making abstraction from what it currently has. and there must be a solid reason if they decided to leave things the way they are. it's a huge corporation, with huge expertise in any field possible. they do everything for a purpose, we just don't know much of it.

carRacer638854

yes, I would... id change the system of getting a Rolex. it's unforgivable the fact that customers complain about the long waiting list for a Rolex, and the company doesn't make any single facility to improve the buying process. I understand perfectly that the "scarcity" phenomenon does its effect, it's a bare marketing strategy. but, c'moooon!!!! how can it still be so indifferent to customer complaints? it smells like complete indifference and devil-may-care-attitude

thank's god the company has finally invented something for the trachick system. otherwise, I would consider it completely "sleep-mode" brand

yes, I would... id change the system of getting a Rolex. it's unforgivable the fact that customers complain about the long waiting list for a Rolex, and the company doesn't make any single facility to improve the buying process. I understand perfectly that the "scarcity" phenomenon does its effect, it's a bare marketing strategy. but, c'moooon!!!! how can it still be so indifferent to customer complaints? it smells like complete indifference and devil-may-care-attitude

thank's god the company has finally invented something for the trachick system. otherwise, I would consider it completely "sleep-mode" brand
Why do people look at only one face of the coin? You only hear that people keep waiting for their rolexes for years… why don’t you just do your research to see the real situation?

According to statistics, Rolex has increased in production quantity in 2022 compared to 2015. The shortage is still present, right? That’s simply because the number of millionaires also has increased, and there is always a direct proportion between the production increase and the rising number of millionaires.

Also, WHY IT EVEN SHOULD PROVIDE ANYONE WITH ITS WATCHES? The fact that people want a Rolex doesn’t equal the fact that Rolex has to provide one to them. It’s not that ”mass” brand to be available for anyone. People have plenty of options instead of Rolex, and even better ones. AP or Patek or Omega. Feel free to get one!!! It didn’t commit to being available to anyone, even being a millionaire.

It takes time to assemble a high-quality watch. So the brand focuses on QUALITY over quantity, and that’s a fair strategy for a self-respecting brand. Or what? Should it extend endlessly its headquarters to please all those who want a Rolex? Sorry, if I were the CEO, I would do the same that the current CEO does: focus on quality. For millionaires, they can have money, but there is one thing that they can’t buy for money: luck. If you are the lucky one you get a Rolex, even without being a millionaire

Sorry for the long read; just tired of all that fuss around the topic, without people to understand the basics 😖😖😖😖

YuliusMeinl

@MirrorHope good point the yours about the research and the direct proportion between increase in people who afford a Rolex and the production rate. I also agree that the company can't extend endlessly to handle the demand. I totally agree that to keep the "exclusivity" status there should be, THERE MUST be "scarcity" criterion.
what I don't agree with, is the brand self-positioning. I still can't understand wether it is an exclusive luxury brand, or a mass market one. because it doesn't draw a clear and definite line in this aspect.
it sould position itself officially as a luxury brand suggesting somehow its target on exclusively particular audience. or, if it prefers to be a "mass market", then it has to comply with the market demands. people are confused about its status.

take Patek Philippe as an example: the company SELECTS the customers who can pretend to certain watches, as it wants its watches to be worn by selective customers. `Rolex, in contrast, suggests being available, but still can't handle the demand. so, if it decides to be exclusive, it should act accordingly