My impression of the gen 3235 watch movement

BusyAsHell

The topic of movements is quite painful for me because it took me years to understand what a good movement means and how it differs from a lower quality one. So, now that I already know a bit about them, I'm trying to inform the world about them, especially those who feel uninitiated about this topic, like I was a few years ago :D so if you're wondering what's up with this movement, I can share some info))

I made my conclusion about it thanks to my father, who with difficulty, decided to share his 126300 with me. I've been dreaming of this watch for a long time, but my father wasn't exactly happy when I asked for it before))) now, I see that it became more sentimental somehow...
So it's a blue dial with a fabulous jubilee bracelet.
Although the watch seems somehow too "serious" on my wrist, I was shocked to feel it very light. It looks much heavier, but when you put it on, you practically don't even feel it. But it's not about that... What impressed me from the very beginning, even shocked me, is the noise it started making after I shook it a little. The rotor sounds it started to make made me think it was a faulty movement. I even asked my father if he might have repaired it or changed it recently. My father told me that its assembly is original, just like the watch, without having made any changes to it.

I couldn't calm down about this sound. I took the risk and decided to open it to see if maybe something is defective inside it. In the meantime, I looked to see if other watches of this model have the same specific noise. As it turned out, this movement rotor comes with a ball-bearing-based architecture. And that means it is very similar to ETA. As far as I know, 3135 movements usually come with jewel-based architecture for the rotor.

I also searched the Net if decorated clone movements are somehow valid. I found a rep factory that offers a similar type. I couldn't believe that the gen movement could actually be like a clone one. I looked for advice and everyone I asked to evaluate the watch confirmed that the mechanism seemed authentic.

Luckily, I have a Rolex boutique in the city where I live, and with all my shame, I went to them to ask them about the strange mechanism in the watch. after the assistants shook it too, I could read the surprise in their eyes. One of the assistants was kind enough to look for 2 watches with a similar mechanism in the boutique's stock. After he found them, he tested them by shaking them to see if the noise is identical or not. Unbelievable, but the other watches started to be as noisy as mine.
I admit that the noise was a bit, but only very slightly different, that is to say, more inhibited in itself somehow. But it still seemed like an abnormal noise for a Rolex.
I wonder how my father was never frustrated by this particular noise. Even when I put my finger on the crystal, it's like I can feel the shock absorber. And the rotor feels so strong when you shake it lightly. And it's not that the watch is worn. The same effects are felt with the new watches from the boutique.

Honestly, I wanted so much to wear this DAD'S ROLEX. But, unfortunately, my expectations were not met and I think it is unlikely that I will opt for mechanisms that are said to be phenomenal.

I said before that I took the risk of opening it. Well, what I noticed during the procedure is that the movement does not ergonomically fill the case. it looks like an ETA mounted in s spacer ring, to be honest. And it looks so cheap, that I can't believe I'm dealing with a gen.

In short, my experience confirms once again that too high expectations lead to too high disappointments

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 14.18.52-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 14.18.52-min.png
    361.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 14.19.09-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 14.19.09-min.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 0

PreciousJohn

lol))))
in my opinion, these are very similar to Tudor movements..... sometimes I wonder if rolex doesn't "borrow" some movements from its little BRO😎 :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: I resonatesmore with 3135 option , If honestly))

Grigio

lol))))
in my opinion, these are very similar to Tudor movements..... sometimes I wonder if rolex doesn't "borrow" some movements from its little BRO😎 :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: I resonatesmore with 3135 option , If honestly))
still not sure :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... still, it seems to me that the 3235 is more viable from the perspective of precision and power reserve than everything that preceded it... maybe it's about some compromises that the manufacturer has to make in order to bring longer reserve and better accuracy on the table:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

StatusQUO

really thanks for the impressions. what I usually read on the net is always perfect and flowless. so one have to spend a few thousand to actually see that the reality is different πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ... as far as I know, all the ones that use the 3135 are very viable... I haven't really heard anyone being dissatisfied... for many, the power resistance reserves is not very relevant as they have more than 12 hours, in which the watches are in the winder during the day. but as for the noise, it's really quite a loud disturbing noise. it's a sound you can't escape during the day... if you still have some anxiety problems, the noise of the rotor will definitely knock you down

HahREF5583468

I don't really think there can be a spancer ring))) probably it's about the notched flange that comes from the back of the dial and you misinterpreted it)) I assume it's that dial mouting system that the brand attributed to the 3235 mechanisms some time ago.
;);););););)
as for the noise, oh, I agree with you, and it's not the only case I hear about it. one of my mates has such a mechanism and complains about the exact same issue. he was sure that he was sold a knockoff when he originally bought it. the assistants gave him assurances and guarantees. but it took a long time to get used to the noise... downright unbearable πŸ™…β€β™‚οΈπŸ™…β€β™‚οΈπŸ™…β€β™‚οΈ

Cincinnati

I heard about many issues, all related to everything related to 32** mechanisms. so, I do not rule out that yours is not defective from maintenance, but rather from the factory. As far as I know, it is said that this series runs at a low amplitude and generates a slow running. Moreover, everyone I talked to about this series told me that the issue gets worse with time. usually the problem appears after about a year of operation and is progressive.
πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
From the whole series, the 3235 option seems to undergo the most issues and many complain about its quality, regardless of whether it is a Sub, GMT Master or datejust. I haven't really heard any complaints about this buzzing sound you're talking about. probably because those who hear it also associate it with a defect due to inappropriate maintenance. ``either way, it seems that the series is quite defective, which is not in Rolex style

HorsePower

I assume that certain problems like "teething" are inevitable, considering that the 32*** series is relatively new. as far as I know, the previous series 31*** also was subjected to several iterations until it was as viable as possible.

what hurts me, and somehow frustrates me, is that the company doesn't really take a stand in this regard (or does it, just that I don't know?????) I mean, if there are still so many complaints, on many forums as far as I know, why don't they withdraw or why doesn't the company come with a notification about the issues and offer a replacement or something???.....

I am sure that many of the owners have returned the watches with these defective mechanisms back to ADs. Didn't the company really understand that the issue is very common?! Even after assistance, owners report that the problem returns after some time....

I don't understand rolex's lack of attitude, especially since 32*** series has been specific to current watches for more than 7 years. And this means that some owners no longer even benefit from the warranty for their watches, which expire 5 years after purchase. What should such owners do? To pay extra for assistance for FSCTORY defects????!!!

I would think 20 times before buying a rolex running on any 32***. if IT has not solved the problem until now, what is the certainty that IT will solve it within the next 5 years of the warranty that I would have?!

And even if Rx comes with an upgraded mechanism that MIGHT NOT retrofit to these impaired ones, what are the options for owners who have such accessories?!
As usual: a lot of questions, and as usual Rx is silent...

Moderatto

I assume that certain problems like "teething" are inevitable, considering that the 32*** series is relatively new. as far as I know, the previous series 31*** also was subjected to several iterations until it was as viable as possible.

what hurts me, and somehow frustrates me, is that the company doesn't really take a stand in this regard (or does it, just that I don't know?????) I mean, if there are still so many complaints, on many forums as far as I know, why don't they withdraw or why doesn't the company come with a notification about the issues and offer a replacement or something???.....

I am sure that many of the owners have returned the watches with these defective mechanisms back to ADs. Didn't the company really understand that the issue is very common?! Even after assistance, owners report that the problem returns after some time....

I don't understand rolex's lack of attitude, especially since 32*** series has been specific to current watches for more than 7 years. And this means that some owners no longer even benefit from the warranty for their watches, which expire 5 years after purchase. What should such owners do? To pay extra for assistance for FSCTORY defects????!!!

I would think 20 times before buying a rolex running on any 32***. if IT has not solved the problem until now, what is the certainty that IT will solve it within the next 5 years of the warranty that I would have?!

And even if Rx comes with an upgraded mechanism that MIGHT NOT retrofit to these impaired ones, what are the options for owners who have such accessories?!
THIS IS SO TRUE.... you explained exactly what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the words...

Ocean BLUE

one of my mates owns a 3230 model. reported no major problems. that is, no problem, to be more specific. timekeeping is accurate enough, no specific sound..... running at about +2.5 s per day, no issues with power reserve.... I don't know why it depends, but the 3230 seems ok so far

DBP

agree a thousand percent... I've been following rx's behavior for a long time and I don't know how it was ten years ago, but today, the brand is much too overrated... its marketing speaks too nicely, but feedbacks in the forums speaks about and confirms a completely different impression. TIME TO SWITCH TO OTHER WATCHMAKERS, maybe this way rx will finally take a stand... but even if he does, it won't make me appreciate it more... bad, very bad feedbacks for such a brand. I'm afraid there is no way to regain the reputation it once had

Myryopod

agree a thousand percent... I've been following rx's behavior for a long time and I don't know how it was ten years ago, but today, the brand is much too overrated... its marketing speaks too nicely, but feedbacks in the forums speaks about and confirms a completely different impression. TIME TO SWITCH TO OTHER WATCHMAKERS, maybe this way rx will finally take a stand... but even if he does, it won't make me appreciate it more... bad, very bad feedbacks for such a brand. I'm afraid there is no way to regain the reputation it once had
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I did it a long time ago because I got tired of disappointing impressions that appear with rx watches and mechanisms

AP is much, much more viable and few technical problems are reported regarding it

YupyLuk

I don't know where this attack on rx watches comes from. I don't feel the same about it.

it's possible that something went wrong with this series, but in the end every producer can undergo such issues.

but my admiration for the brand remains valid for a long time to come. statistically, a much larger number of past and present watches behave phenomenally and have demonstrated their viability... why hate only for one series?

in addition, the authorized dealers are the ones who take over the defective watches for repair. it's possible that they don't even report the owners' complaints to the company. maybe the information is lost somewhere along the way...

otherwise, I continue to admire the company 🀠

Minimalist

I don't know where this attack on rx watches comes from. I don't feel the same about it.

it's possible that something went wrong with this series, but in the end every producer can undergo such issues.

but my admiration for the brand remains valid for a long time to come. statistically, a much larger number of past and present watches behave phenomenally and have demonstrated their viability... why hate only for one series?

in addition, the authorized dealers are the ones who take over the defective watches for repair. it's possible that they don't even report the owners' complaints to the company. maybe the information is lost somewhere along the way...

no offence and hard feeling pls πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ just a constructive conversation...

you could be right, it is not necessary to judge based on only one series. however, authorized dealers send the data to the company anyway, it is unlikely that the information is somehow lost. in addition, it is not the first time that the company ignores consumer complaints. this happens with absolutely all issues. and it's not about the issue itself, indeed, any watchmaker can have them. but it's about attitude, which rx never takes....

as if the problem does not exist at all, always! and this is not exactly a correct attitude in relation to the consumer who, by the way, spends tens of thousands for a watch.

if you can answer WHY A WATCH OWNER SHOULD REPAIR A WATCH OF HIS OWN MONEY IN THE CONTEXT IN WHICH THE DEFECT IS OF THE FACTORY, I promise to swallow my words and ask for forgiveness 1000 times

HorsePower

C'MOOON, i'm not exactly the biggest expert in the field of watches... and rx doesn't owe me anything personally because I've never bought an rx watch. but I won't do it either) I speak exclusively from the perspective of a final consumer who tries to ensure from all points of view that the money spent has a certain meaning and are worth it)))...

anyone who is ready to spend tens of thousands, wants insurance, and if the brand asks for this price, why NOT propose solutions for any issues that may arise? it is not the norm in the 21st century to ignore communication with the final customer. πŸ™ƒ
buying an expensive watch just because the brand has a great reputation, BUT WITH THE RISK THAT SMTH WILL GO WRONG, is not really the best scenario, don't you think? and as @Myryopod said, AP could be a phenomenal-no-me-nal solution. you can't just pretend you're the best. you have to prove it by taking a stand ;;))

Rochdale

It's not the latest movement, agree. but it is considered one of the new generation, as far as I know. It appeared since 2015 and I find it strange that people are reporting problems with it.... as far as I know, rolex continued to improve about 85% compared to what the caliber 3135 proposed. According to rolex data, it promises an accuracy of -2/+2 spd... is this specific noise the price for this accuracy?! 🧐🧐🧐🧐

I know that it is quite promising from the perspective of power reserve... from 40/48 up to 3 days is quite optimistic... I can't understand what went wrong if so many people report so many issues....