normal differences between reps and gen watches

Maric

hi there, guys,
I am also curious about some things regarding replica watches

I have been in the replica hobby for some time. I have several rep watches and I can't understand which errors should be accepted in them and which are critical.
I assume that replica factories do not have the same machines and technologies that Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Patek, Vacheron and many other luxury watchmakers have. after all, big brands are spending tens of thousands of bucks for special detailing these days. It is unlikely that Replica factories will make such investments in their production process. As such, it is normal that some aspects in the replica watches are different from those in the gens. for example, the writings or the font transitions on the dials....

my question is what deviations from the original model do you accept as normal in a replica watch? when you receive the replica watch and see that the details differ from the authentic model, will you return the watch? or, on the contrary, do you accept this as normal as factories do not have enough tools to make them identical?

what is your opinion regarding this question? how identical does a replica watch have to be? and what detailings do you not accept to have flaws?
thank you in advance for any sharing and may your reps last long and work efficiently!

Perpetual

a great question, by me...
You are right!!! I think that no factory invests to the same extent as the big brands do. more than that, luxury brands have entire departments of experts in certain fields for research and development. each watch color, texture, or dial pattern is developed for months to years. and I think that they make them in such a way that it is difficult to replicate.... its such, it is something normal for a replica to have deviations, it is irrational and absurd to expect an identical design...

as a rule, I buy Asian rep watches. at first glance, they look very good. but experts in the field, for example those who clean my watch, immediately detect that it is a replica. when I ask them "how do u do this?" They show me with a magnifying lens that the edges of the writings are not refined enough and somehow too steep. or the spaces between the letters of the inscriptions are micro-millimeters (if there is such a word) larger.

bro, I accept differences, but only if they are not obvious to the naked eye. and I have no objections to the factory either, as it tries to do its best with the tools and techniques it has

Michelangelo

the answer to this question is very complex. there are so many variables that influence the quality of the replica...

while I also accept small flaws, a lot depends on the price of the replica.

some time ago, I found a store that offered rep watches for about $1K. in the end, I didn't buy. but the seller swears that everything is absolutely identical in it. in a rep watch of 1K I would not accept flaws. why should I pay 1K for a fake with differences from the genuine one, if I can get one for $500 that has the same differences from the gen model?!

so, for a 1k rep, I would probably accept only small differences in the mechanism. A rolex or patek or AP mechanism is impossible to reproduce identically. but the rest of the watch should be identical to its authentic counterpart.

BenStone

I'm ok if the replica gold watch weighs less than an authentic gold one. This is something normal to be a difference in weight. While a solid gold timepiece weighs around 230g, a replica gold a priori cannot weigh the same. This is because the replica watch is not made of solid gold, but of stainless steel coated with a thin or sometimes thick gold layer. as such, it is normal for the rep to weigh up to 200 g. I don't understand those who criticize this difference. You can't expect a gold replica watch to be fully made of gold and cost about $250....

also for me it is ok for the sound of the replica watch to be different. Rolex, for example, has developed a special mechanism that generates a certain sweeping sound. in replica watches, the sound is more ticking. and it's normal, because a replica watch cannot have the same mechanism as an authentic watch. so, I'm not bothered by this difference... as for the rest, I think that replica watches must be at least 99% identical. after all, the replica industry is also developing and the replica watches look much better than they did 20 years ago... so, there is no much room for design faults in my opinion

Encantadore59935

agree on the ticking difference in rep watches, though, it is not normal for the ticking sound to be too aggressive and disturbing.... honestly, I do not accept errors in the details of the dials and the difference between the thicknesses and diameters of the rep watches. I hate receiving watches that are thicker than the original ones and whose dials that do not look identical to the genuine ones...

if the replica factory is not capable of accurately reproducing the dials of authentic watches, then they should not do it... why do they produce different dials and sell them, if they are so different from the authentic ones?!

I admit that I had such bad experiences. but at the same time, it also had some very decent imitations. I think that includes the manufacturers' competencies as well. they all have technical possibilities, but maybe they are not professional enough to produce high quality watches...

either way, dial errors, whatever it means, and not respecting the proportions is unforgivable for me and is a total dealbreaker

Marvel

acceptable:
-slightly rough engravings on movements
-slight deviations from the original colors
-insacuracies in thin hour markers and hands

These can truly be made at the highest level only by authentic brands

Unacceptable:
- writing misspelling;
-wrong proportions;
- rough bezel round contours or un-refined fluted bezels;
- errors in dial detailing such as changing the place from the bottom to the to of the dial of certain writings

Drinky

what I categorically do not accept (maybe it's not even on topic) are the dealers TRYING TO SELL ME REPLICA WATCHES PRETENDING THEY ARE GENUINE🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

from the beginning I have a feeling of repulsion towards them. I admit that when I had no idea about rep watches, I managed to fall prey to these offerings. And it seemed strange to me that a watch that on the Audemars piguet website costs 24,000, the dealer offered it to me for 7,000, swearing that it is authentic and that it is a preowned offering... well, my wife told me to check the dealer's source and I discovered that it was a dealer selling replica watches!!!!! 😖😖😖😖😖😖 so be careful with what the dealer proposes! I really appreciate the dealers who honestly admit that they offer imitations. at least, I give them more credit

GeorgeClintonBiden

))))) you say interesting things here)))))

and it's strange to me how you accept deviations and errors in the replica watches when all the online sellers I know write on their website: "our reps are the best!!!! all of them are 100% identical!!! no flaws and no errors in design and engravings!!" bro, why do you accept deviations if the seller initially promises a perfect condition of the replica watches? wouldn't it be more correct to return to the seller all the replica watches that have any aesthetic difference from the original? Thus, the dealers will learn to be honest and speak the truth without deceiving the world...

personally, I talk a lot with the customer support assistants before buying a replica watch. I don't buy it until I don't make sure that the watch has no flaws and differences compared to the original one. I think the only thing I accept is different colors of the dials. luxury brands invent fonts that belong entirely to them by patent and I realize that a replica factory has no way of reproducing it... for the rest, the replica watch must be perfect, exactly as the dealers promise on their websites !!!!

Rochdale

))))) you say interesting things here)))))

and it's strange to me how you accept deviations and errors in the replica watches when all the online sellers I know write on their website: "our reps are the best!!!! all of them are 100% identical!!! no flaws and no errors in design and engravings!!" bro, why do you accept deviations if the seller initially promises a perfect condition of the replica watches? wouldn't it be more correct to return to the seller all the replica watches that have any aesthetic difference from the original? Thus, the dealers will learn to be honest and speak the truth without deceiving the world...

personally, I talk a lot with the customer support assistants before buying a replica watch. I don't buy it until I don't make sure that the watch has no flaws and differences compared to the original one. I think the only thing I accept is different colors of the dials. luxury brands invent fonts that belong entirely to them by patent and I realize that a replica factory has no way of reproducing it... for the rest, the replica watch must be perfect, exactly as the dealers promise on their websites !!!!
you are talking about an ideal parallel world here 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 do you really expect the dealers to write on their websites: "well, our replica watches are so-so, they don't really look like their authentic counterparts and have a lot of differences. also they are lighter than genuine ones and most of them do not have the same functions as genuine watches"😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

A replica watch website is to SELL)) marketing involves a dose of empty promises)) so, don't expect much honesty from them) no one will ever write about their product flaws on their homepage)))))

though, I agree with you that you need to talk to the dealer directly. also, you need to check reviews about dealers on different sources from the perspective of other buyers....

I look at things much simpler. the replica industry offers me luxury watches at a low price. I, on the other hand, pay by accepting small deviations. what I never accept is the rough watch manufacturing (regardless of whether it is the bezel, the case, the bracelet, or anything else). if the manufacturing is smooth and fine, that;s just great. and I also do not accept craggy dial details. the dial must be maximally refined. otherwise, I return it back 😁

BusyAsHell

REPLICA WATCH GEMSTONES!!!!!!

I understand perfectly that replica factories do not have the necessary skills and tools to reproduce them the way the luxury brands do. That's why I never buy replica watches with diamond-like stones, and I don't recommend them to my wife either!!! 😁😁😁😁

Rolex, for example, has a huge department of gemologists and gem-setters. They process gems according to certain parameters. Then, gem-setters apply them in watches according to certain special schemes so that their shine and their reflection have a certain logic. So, it's a whole rocket science in between.

Rep factories never will have such skills in the processing and application of gem stones. As such, you can only expect larger stones, which make the watches look oversize and flamboyant, which is not at all elegant and aesthetic.

I'm not judging the replica industry for that. it does the best it can. We, as end buyers, either accept or not what it proposes. If the aesthetic standards are low, it is possible that replica gem watches are ok for someone. But I can't accept them, and that's why I avoid them. Well, I can accept 1-2 stones somewhere on the bezel, but no more than that.

PreciousJohn

REPLICA WATCH GEMSTONES!!!!!!

I understand perfectly that replica factories do not have the necessary skills and tools to reproduce them the way the luxury brands do. That's why I never buy replica watches with diamond-like stones, and I don't recommend them to my wife either!!! 😁😁😁😁

Rolex, for example, has a huge department of gemologists and gem-setters. They process gems according to certain parameters. Then, gem-setters apply them in watches according to certain special schemes so that their shine and their reflection have a certain logic. So, it's a whole rocket science in between.

Rep factories never will have such skills in the processing and application of gem stones. As such, you can only expect larger stones, which make the watches look oversize and flamboyant, which is not at all elegant and aesthetic.

I'm not judging the replica industry for that. it does the best it can. We, as end buyers, either accept or not what it proposes. If the aesthetic standards are low, it is possible that replica gem watches are ok for someone. But I can't accept them, and that's why I avoid them. Well, I can accept 1-2 stones somewhere on the bezel, but no more than that.
don't be so sure about it)))
who knows what reps you've had to come across! I personally bought some time ago an iced-out RO audemars rep and it looks and works great!!! I gave it to my mother for her birthday and she has been wearing it for more than half a year. the stones hold well, none have fallen, and they are very small and carefully assembled on the bezel... I admit that it may not look identical to an authentic RO, but it does not look flamboyant or too much.

I think a lot depends on the quality of the replica. some factories produce trash, we have to admit. others do wonderful things in their reps... so no need to generalize here)

Grigio

it is not normal for a replica WATCH to be more lightweight than its gen version. this speaks of poor quality stainless steel.

it is not normal for a reply to be misspelled in writings. this speaks of horrible quality

it is not normal for a rep to have different proportions. this is NOT what a replica means

What IS normal:
- it is for the watch to have 1-2 shade tones different in the color of the dial;
- it is for the watch to have slightly rigid markings at the ends. after all, superior refinement is the exclusive asset of luxury brands;
- it is for the watch to produce a slightly different sound (BUT NEVER RIGID AND UNPLEASANT) OF TICKING

Myryopod

from the very beginning when I entered the replica hobby, it was clear to me that I could not expect perfection from fake watches. I understood very well that a replica factory can't have the same resources for producing watches identical to the authentic ones. but I was shocked to discover how good the replica watches are per se. i mean, not all of them, but most of them are beyond expectations...

in a fake wqtch, I accept that the design is a little different from the authentic one. after all, factories have every right to integrate their own visions in the design of a watch. so, im ok with that, as long as they look refined and the execution of the construction is good.

after all, I always admit that I wear a replica and I never claim that it is a genuine one. so what matters is that I like it. I don't worry too much about the rest. but in general, I am very satisfied with the efforts and evolution of replica watches. the industry has progressed enormously

CityBreak

I cannot say which is considered normal or not, because there is no legal or written standard for replica watches. the manufacturers alone decide what degree of quality and resemblance to the authentic ones to attribute to them... but I can say what I personally accept and what I do not accept in an rep watch

I accept:
-a SMALL difference in weight;
- a dial with elements with less 3D effect than in an authentic watch;
- a less refined movement than the original one. after all, no one can perfectly reproduce an authentic movement;

I do not accept:
- much too light weight compared to the authentic watch;
- the lack of delicacy and refinement of the details in the dial (hour markers, hands, other details like railway-minute track, etc...);
- too loud ticking. nowadays, I think it is possible to integrate mechanisms that operate flawlessly without generating that disturbing ticking;
- lack of a high-quality finish..

For all the criteria that I do not accept, I am ready to turn back the rep watch. I don't need an imitation that speaks loudly that it is a replica...

also, to make sure, I talk to the supplier before buying the watch and ask him about all the above criteria. if he confirms by email that the rep corresponds to my criteria, I will buy it. if in the end, I receive something different from what was promised to me, I request a refund attaching the previous confirmation of the supplier that he had promised me a decent watch rep.

UdlinINTEL

@Maric "normal differences" you mean "aceptable"?!

if so, I think I would accept small deviations in the design of the dial. the rest - it's a sign of poor replica watch manufacturing

- I would not accept if the finish loses its luster from the first days
- I would not accept too large spaces between the crown and the case, or between the bezel and the case, or between the links of the bracelet
- I would not accept flaws in hour precision. I mean, it's ok to have variations, but they don't have to be critical. All this speaks of a lower quality and I don't think it's normal for such a watch to cost more than $5

Steve

I had the opportunity to meet phenomenal replica watches. They were so well executed that even experts in the field could hardly distinguish the differences.

so I don't really accept fault in replica watches, to be honest. I am ready to pay more just so that the watch looks as close as possible to the original version. That's the essence of a replica, isn't it? If it is different, and the differences are very noticeable, then it is a counterfeit of the lowest quality... in this case, why should you pay for it?!

I believe that manufacturers must engage in replicating watches only if they have the necessary knowledge and technologies to reproduce them perfectly. otherwise, they should not produce them. So, no! No room for visible faults in a replica watch!

SwInEIGh

I can exclusively accept small refinement issues, such as, for example, less refined internal mechanism or less refined dial details. As long as they are not visible to the naked eye, they are acceptable. For the rest, I don't think it's ok for sellers to sell reps that are strikingly different from gens. The concept of "replica" revolves around the idea of the ideal copy, so fewer flaws- the better.

Plus, let's draw attention to the pictures that dealers illustrate on their websites. All look like perfect replica watches with smooth finish and very carefully processed dials. So, if that's what it looks like - that's what I expect from it to be. So, no room for major flaws!!!!!!

PS: I accept a slightly lighter weight, especially for gold reps. Solid gold weighs a lot. And the reps are not solid gold, they just have a thin layer of gold as a coating. So, it's logical that it should be lighter in weight

RoyaInk

I had the opportunity to see replica watches that even the experts could not easily identify the differences. This means IT IS POSSIBLE TO PRODUCE IDEAL REPLICA WATCHES!!! my question then is: WHY SHOULD WE ACCEPT ERRORS? Whenever I buy a fake watch, I want it in the best possible version. So, I'm looking for suppliers who can offer it to me in perfect condition, at least on an aesthetic level (the functionality must also meet high standards. otherwise, I'll return it). If the supplier promises me an ideal condition, and I receive trash with design errors, then how can I accept this?! I am ready to pay money for a quality product. And this must be identical to the authentic model because I know for sure that it is possible. if the manufacturer is not able to produce it at a high level, then they should not deal with their sale!!!!
Conclusion: I do not accept any deviation from the original model. Maybe just the weight a little. Otherwise, give me the quality I'm paying for!!!

if I don't receive it, I return the watch and ask for the money back. If the seller refuses, then I leave reviews wherever I can so that other potential buyers know what to expect from a certain supplier

DoctorWHO

this question made me think) I had to make an effort to find an answer)

it's a tricky one, I must admit

I think I would not tolerate the major difference between a replica watch and an authentic one. First of all, I hate it when a replica watch has a different design than the genuine one. For example, additional functions and aesthetic details that are missing from the authentic watch. So, my goal is for my replica watch to be as identical as possible to the genuine one. if the difference is too obvious, no matter in what aspect, I think I would request a refund, or I would simply never wear it