Parts of the watch- definition for newbies! READ THIS

Racrought

Hi everyone, today I decided to go with some amazing glossary words that are related to watches.

I have observed that there are some newbies that are struggling, and I totally understand this thing. Some terminologies are hard to understand and hard to remember, this is why it is extremely important to find a place where you can have all of these terms summed up. Remember this article because you are going to need it from time to time. If you know newbies that need to read it, just send them here.

Some parts of the watch may seem familiar to you, and for sure you have heard about them. This doesn't mean that you can totally define them and explain what actually they do. The basic conception is that without knowing what those parts actually mean, you are never goin to truly understand what is a watch and how it works. Dial, Lug, Case, Crown, Crystal, Buckle, |Hands, Bezel and Strap are actually the main important details of the watch.
The first and the most important reason why I decided to write about this is the fact that these parts are extremely important to understand when you go for replica watches. When you want to choose a good watch. When you know how these parts work and most important how should they work everything changes.

Let's start with the CASE. Honesty, I think that the case is like the glue that holds all other parts together. Of course, it totally depends on the style of the watch but generally a lot of watches are made of stainless steel. You can also find them in white gold, yellow gold, pink gold... Genuine watches that are made of something rather than stainless steel usually are extremely expensive. The lavish parst like titanium , platinum and even some kind of plastica can be used. This dependes on the style and purpose. For example, some sport watches usually have some plastic details on the case, this is all made to make it less heavy and easier to be used. With time it is going to be easier to understand how and for what reasons there have been used specific materials.
To finish the case aspect and to make it look a little bit more extravangat or in order to underline some kind of style or story of the watch there are use finished like smooth or matte. And of course not the last thing is the back case of the watch that can be fully covered or in skeleton. The most important general ideas are these.

About the LUGS is not that that many imformation to say. The lugs help to interconnect the case of the watch with the strap or the bracelet. Regarding the materials that has been used for the case, usually is used for the lugs too. Many people don't even use this word, refering to the case by combining the case and lugs together. So, there is a high possibility that you are never going to use this word, or hear it. Even so, you need to know at least what is it.

The CROWN is one of the simplest thing to remember. It has a specific aspect and it can be considered one of the tiniest but important details on the watch. Many people still don't get why it is called crown, but ok... we can say that there is something like a specificity that reminds about a crown. So I hope that you got the importance of this details. The crown offers you the opportunity to change the time. So, you brarelly can't go without it.

HANDS... Of I really love this word and especially used for the indicators of time. Sometime I love to call them the helping hands. Hands are indicators of time. as for the hands... there can be some differances. It is all connected to the style of the watch. Some watches can be more classical so in this case there is a high possibility that the watch is going to have at least 2 hands. The one that indicates the time and the one that indicates the minutes. In modern time to classic watches there have been addes the hand that indicates the seconds. Some watches don't have hands at all, this is why I mentioned that it all depends on the style of the watch.

The STRAP or the BRACELET is the main source that make the watch connect to your hand. Thechnically speaking, the watchat is everything that stays in the case. The strap is an instruments used to connect the case to your wrist. When it comes to watches, you can always change them. ALSO IMPORTANT there are cases when you can't change the strap. Usually this is related to the fact that the case is totally connected with the bracelet and automatically makes the entire watch. As for the watches there are a lot of different materials used. Of course the best ones are those made of platinum or gold because of the high practical material, but it all depends on the preferances. There are people that love to chage the strap very often, in this case they go for leather or stainless still. If you consider leather, you can always go for differnet colors to make you fit the style.
If you are a newbie you should know that changing the strap in some cases may seem really simple, but you don't have to do it by your own, because sometimes you can make a trouble or broke something.

I think that the BEZEL is one of my favorite part of the watch. I am quite always interested about what can the watch offer with its bazel . Generally the bezel is the outer ring on the case. It connects the case to lugs but this is not why I love it so much. Also depending on the model the bezel can be more visible or even non existing. In some cases, usually related to watches that have a lot of functions like watches for divers, drivers or pilots, the bezel is an extremely important tool. It is mobile and can be used to quick acces some imporant functions. I love these kind of watches they look super cool. Due to this extreme evolution of functions used for the creation of a lot of watches, the bezel became also a style detail for the watch. So in many occassions you can see that the bezel is styles with the watch (can be mate, shiny or with a color that matches the strap or the dial, can even be fully covered with diamonds without indicating any additional functions)- Check the dial below.

The DIAL is the primalry and important let's say the screen of the watch. Like the screen of you smarthphone. You know that when you need to use your smartphone you need the access to your screen. So this is the screen. Here you can find the basic functions for time but sometime with some additional functions. The indications of date or day, some model can indicate month and this are just the basic functions of the watch. Actually not only the material used for the case can make it expensive. The functions that the watch can offer you, can add some additional $ to the final value. On the dial you find the hands that we have been talked about, that indicate the time. for the indications of date, day or month usually is used a little rectangual placed neear to some of o'clock numerals. this rectangualr is called window. The window that indicates the date.

There are many other indicators that these are the basal indicators that must be considered as a start pack for those that decided to enter the majestic world of watches. I really hope that you find it interesting and that it is going to help you with your knowledge. If you need to know something else, or have any other additional questions regarding some of the parts, functions or indicators of the watch just ask me I'm going to be really glad to answer your questions.

Whiseed

I truly love this kind of post. As a newbie sometimes I find myself not understanding some special things and terms about watches. Of course this is a good thing to find out new things and to understand how a watches works.
From my own experience, I find that in some cases I can totally love the watch and how it looks but know nothing about the functionalities and how they actually work.. especially if you talk about using the chronograph or something like this. Thank you for the definitions, i feel so weird that i didnt know about the lugs. truly thought that this is just a part of the case an entire case. For sure now when I'm going to hear lugs I'm going to remember you :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Buten

this is the first post that i got to read here. not that im not informed about watches i have like 10 different replicas and all of them are really bad. i think that i need to start over and to study everything about watches from the beginning. i really hope to find more posts like this, thank you.

almost forgot to ask. there is one thing that i cant get, in some articles i found such things like pm/am function and i even dont understand what this means? is there something that indicated the pm/am time? or i got it wrong? thank you

Racrought

this is the first post that i got to read here. not that im not informed about watches i have like 10 different replicas and all of them are really bad. i think that i need to start over and to study everything about watches from the beginning. i really hope to find more posts like this, thank you.

almost forgot to ask. there is one thing that i cant get, in some articles i found such things like pm/am function and i even dont understand what this means? is there something that indicated the pm/am time? or i got it wrong? thank you
It is pretty simple nothing to worry about. Well, the pm/am strands for time. When you see something like this in the description you have to pay attention to the moon and sun pictures that appear on the watch. It usually looks like a window that changes in dependence with time. The nighttime is going to go with the moon and the daytime with the sun. Those are the typical indicators for pm/am timing. Hope it helps.

Talking about your situation with bad replicas sometimes, especially at the beginning is really hard. I think that you got unfortunate with suppliers. . Unfortunately there are a lot of scammers and suppliers that go for AAA replicas but in reality, they are just doing this to make more money. You can go over the forum, there are some articles that can help you identify what actually good replica watches look like and how to spot them. Trust me after some time and experience all this situation of yours is going to be over.

Surid1980

I would like too to understand better how interconnected parts work between them. The idea with a chronograph is good, or when you think about the stopwatch or aviation functions ( forget the nave for it). I tried the chronometer of one chronograph and got a total mess, i don't know what to do :D

Buten

It is pretty simple nothing to worry about. Well, the pm/am strands for time. When you see something like this in the description you have to pay attention to the moon and sun pictures that appear on the watch. It usually looks like a window that changes in dependence with time. The nighttime is going to go with the moon and the daytime with the sun. Those are the typical indicators for pm/am timing. Hope it helps.

Talking about your situation with bad replicas sometimes, especially at the beginning is really hard. I think that you got unfortunate with suppliers. . Unfortunately there are a lot of scammers and suppliers that go for AAA replicas but in reality, they are just doing this to make more money. You can go over the forum, there are some articles that can help you identify what actually good replica watches look like and how to spot them. Trust me after some time and experience all this situation of yours is going to be over.
now that you answered this i feel so stupid omg... this was so simple i can't believe that i asked this:D can i go over and delete everything that i asked? please ? :ROFLMAO:

Racrought

now that you answered this i feel so stupid omg... this was so simple i can't believe that i asked this:D can i go over and delete everything that i asked? please ? :ROFLMAO:
You know I always said that the most important thing for success is to ask questions. This applies to every topic that you are in. When you don't ask questions there is a low possibility to succeed and to do the best thing. The watch world is hard to understand and maybe a little bit confusing. You did the right thing to ask and you should never feel weird about it. All we started the same way ;)

Buten

Thank you sir... soooo, this means that I can always turn to you for further questions I hope? Never expected to have so many answers so soon. Thank you )

Racrought

Thank you sir... soooo, this means that I can always turn to you for further questions I hope? Never expected to have so many answers so soon. Thank you )
Of course, this is a place for questions and interactions. I'm going to be happy to help you.

Evecusbaby

good one for a really really new beginner that knows nothing about watches, but i think that you should do a post with more functionalities based.
im pretty sure that a lot of people are struggling with this part, especially with the part of how to manage some functions or how to use them correctly. I had a friend who loved watches but he was not able to use chronometer or diving functions because he didn't even know that they existed. The most awkward moment was when he found out that the bezel is actually rotating and offers some functions...
may be a good post

Racrought

good one for a really really new beginner that knows nothing about watches, but i think that you should do a post with more functionalities based.
im pretty sure that a lot of people are struggling with this part, especially with the part of how to manage some functions or how to use them correctly. I had a friend who loved watches but he was not able to use chronometer or diving functions because he didn't even know that they existed. The most awkward moment was when he found out that the bezel is actually rotating and offers some functions...
may be a good post
No problem at all actually, good idea for sure to go with more info. You can do the same thing if you got some information. This is just the first post about it and soon there are going to be more.
You can always help you know?

bombonio

Thanks a lot OP for sharing this post. While I was already aware of a lot of watch terms, I still found something new. Since I've just "dived" into the world of replica watches, it seems like there's still a lot for me to learn. with your help guys, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be much easier

###IcySpicY###

where was this post a decade ago, when I first entered the watch hobby!?
I was like an idiot mixing the terms between each other.... not to mention about movements and calibers and complications...
great post for newbies indeed!

Evecusbaby

No problem at all actually, good idea for sure to go with more info. You can do the same thing if you got some information. This is just the first post about it and soon there are going to be more.
You can always help you know?
well, i didn't mean to be rude actually. maybe it seems rude but i just remarked on this and wanted to say it. 4 sure if im going to find some info that is suitable here im going to share here