Pre-Owned AP: tips to consider

howdyREP

Was considering having a pre-owned AP lately and have begun a little research on the subject. I thought it would be helpful for somebody here, so decided to share it with you for the moment when you decide to have your own pre-owned AP ))

No one told me anything when I bought my previous pre-owned watch Constellation Chronometer Electronic Stahl Datum Herrenuhr Ref. 198.0027 and there were some mistakes I made. With the next AP, I try to be more cautious, and probably my thoughts and analysis would be helpful for someone of u :D

Here is what I concluded to be highly important about pre-owned AP, especially if we are referring to the Royal Oak or Oak Offshore models.
  1. I would recommend you look for a “fresher” iteration of the AP Royal/Offshore. You can begin with the F series and up; earlier series are not worth it, even if they are in good shape and condition. In the ideal scenario, it should come with a service history.
  2. If u still are in love with older models, make sure the ROO comes with the full history of service. I wouldn’t take the risk of having one without papers unless I know the previous owner.
  3. According to my inspections, there are some issues with the 5402. Pay attention to the crown. Also, would be better to avoid using the feature responding for the quick-set calendar advance running on 2121 caliber. Some owners complain about the crown stem that breaks by coming off and pulling it out to set the time. Such a problem can take place as frequently as twice per year, especially with regular use. My recommendation is to be prudent when pulling the crown out in order to set the time. In the same context, it would be more than enough to turn the crown 5-7 turns while winding it.
  4. 5402s AP can’t promise water-resistance after being serviced at least one time. So, if u get one, don’t wear it while in the shower, pools, seas, etc… you can’t even wash your hands with it on if u want to protect it.
  5. Never make the mistake of servicing your AP by independent parties. Especially when u want your bezel to be polished. The edges will become thinner and more rounded because of the inappropriate technique. AP official service uses a sort of special technique to keep the octagonal form of the bezel in its initial look, without compromising the brushed/polished areas.
  6. If you balance between a manual and quartz, go for the manual movement. The Quartz version will generate headaches with every battery change. The battery is to be replaced every 2-3 years, and nothing would be difficult, if not for the watch construction that needs to be completely disassembled to reach the movement. Almost all components need to be removed to change the battery and things can always go wrong with an independent service. On the other hand, it might be too pricey if servicing it in an official service for just a battery change.
Hope to have been helpful 🤞🫡

cheetomargheritto

Quite informative, thank u… never thought about a pre-owned AP, but think the insights would work with other watches as well… at least, good to know what to pie attention to

Nobbing

Keeping maintenance costs in mind with second-hand watches is indeed relevant. Given that most pre-owned is vintage, it’s likely to require not only periodic but frequent maintenance as well. Also, the “seller” is important. Ideally, these have to have a physical showroom where u can inspect the watch carefully. Warranty should also be considered, even for a pre-owned

TropiKanCHO

My father was thinking about having a preowned AP recently… not sure if he still wants it after seeing all these dos and don’ts

My father was thinking about having a preowned AP recently… not sure if he still wants it after seeing all these dos and don’ts
wouldn't be scared of anything... good insights from @howdyREP to how make it right. also, all of those that I know owning an AP talk about a pretty good experience with it including service. Know a buddy sending its RB2 Ti to the official service. For the entire cleaning, parts, and overhaul paid $970, if not wrong. He considered such prices before buying and was ok

randomWATCHlover

Might sound like hokey cokey maybe, but one must pay increased attention to the seller. Scammers can also be infiltrated in the pre-owned watches’ buying-selling schemes as well. Watch out for how it presents the watch, how much he knows about it, what’s the price, warranty, return, etc… and of course the well-known mantra about the incredibly low price for the incredible pre-owned watch… when the price is too cheap, forget about buying the watch

diaboliquerye

good piece of info... For the royal oaks, I’d also add that their aesthetics might look pretty mint in photos. Even if they in reality are scratchy and lack cosmetic appearance, in pictures these can look nice and seamless because of the different light angles. Best of all is to visit a physical store is possible, to see the piece in its real condition

STERYBOL

"If you balance between a manual and quartz, go for the manual movement. The Quartz version will generate headaches with every battery change. The battery is to be replaced every 2-3 years, and nothing would be difficult, if not for the watch construction that needs to be completely disassembled to reach the movement."- what about the manual movements? how frequently the watch should be serviced considering a man mechanism?

EasyPeasY57299

"If you balance between a manual and quartz, go for the manual movement. The Quartz version will generate headaches with every battery change. The battery is to be replaced every 2-3 years, and nothing would be difficult, if not for the watch construction that needs to be completely disassembled to reach the movement."- what about the manual movements? how frequently the watch should be serviced considering a man mechanism?
its 5 yrs, for as far as I know

whySOniCE456

thanks @howdyREP. I think one day im gonna have a pre-owned watch and after it, a gen one. don't know what piece exactly yet, but I think your research applies to many other pre-owned pieces

TesaLLiuM8565

"Never make the mistake of servicing your AP by independent parties. Especially when u want your bezel to be polished."- so true... my former manager left his AP at an independent watch service. the expert exaggerated with the cleaning and polishing and after a couple of procedures the watch bezel lost it's initial octagonal shape. I could not spot the difference with an naked eye but the guy showed me the impact of the inaccurate technique under different lights. it was painful for him to see how the edged became more rounded. probably, the expert had thought it would be better, but in fact, he simply terribly deteriorated it

platoonshrek

had no idea about considering so many aspects... thanks for the tips; not likely to have specifically an AP p[re-owned in the near future, but at least, got familiar to aspects that I didn't know

Hich40

Hi guys.. a question from a newbie here, regarding the pre-owned genuine watches. I think going with genuine

SSH123 Astron from Seiko.

I actually would like to buy the genuine version, but I still don't know if i want this one or maybe the Seiko SRPD79. I love them both.

The problem is that i have money just for one genuine model... some guys here suggested trying one genuine and one replica if I really want them both. I think that is a great idea/... but then /i found this post about pre-owned, and wanted to ask maybe if it is better to go with one genuine and one pre-owned. The important question is> do the pre-owned question be more expensive than the genuine or there is a possibility to find a pre-owned version at a replica price?

PpiroJookK88735

Hi guys.. a question from a newbie here, regarding the pre-owned genuine watches. I think going with genuine

I actually would like to buy the genuine version, but I still don't know if i want this one or maybe the Seiko SRPD79. I love them both.

The problem is that i have money just for one genuine model... some guys here suggested trying one genuine and one replica if I really want them both. I think that is a great idea/... but then /i found this post about pre-owned, and wanted to ask maybe if it is better to go with one genuine and one pre-owned. The important question is> do the pre-owned question be more expensive than the genuine or there is a possibility to find a pre-owned version at a replica price?
at a replica price it's highly unlikely, but at a lesser price than a new one-it's pretty possible.

ObeisDexter

why don't u open the subject in a Seiko tread?! I think you'll get more answers. Here are mostly AP lovers)