Quartz watches: seem the best to me lately

dancerINTHEdark

guys, it seems to me that I will definitely switch to quartz watches because I'm simply tired of manuals and automatics. the last experiences with mechanical watches tired me completely. And I write here because I still feel that I continue to love them and they remain my favorites. So switching to quartz is a necessary measure, based on my recent experiences.

I recently wore a Submariner rep, and a Hamilton gen. Both automatic. Both had started to not work as they should, even though I was setting and cleaning them as written in all the instructions. I'm starting to think about quartz options, even if until now we didn't really consider them. I saw them as suitable for women (cough, cough, no offense, darlings, cough, cough) who don't really like to beat themselves up with manual winding. however, now they seem very welcome to me, primarily because of the prices. A quartz watch will never cost as much as an automatic one. so you still have money left for other watches.....

Another argument that suits me is that you don't have to worry about its winding. thousands of times I forgot to charge my submariner, and every time I left the house angry and frustrated. At the same time, I think that a quartz-based rep watch should work much safer and more stable than a manual or automatic rep, isn't it?!!!

So I seriously consider switching to quartz watches, both reps, and gens. Now I'm interested if u also struggle in shifting back and forth with the mechanisms of the watches.
what should I know? what am I missing? as if something is holding me back, but I don't understand what.....

Cincinnati

I am also a fan of mechanical watches. I've gotten used to them for so long that it's as if the quartz ones don't even exist :D... but I admit that I'm tempted to try one... someone recommended me a Casio Oceanus and Wave ceptor some time ago. I didn't really listen to him at first, but the watch really seems to be a nice thing. from what I read on different sources, the reviews are very good and promise phenomenal accuracy... I've been thinking too if I'm honest :D

I'm still undecided, but I don't feel the need for shifting as acutely as you do :D I'll stop at mechanics for now. but anyway, I'm kind of fascinated that a watch is able to do what it needs to do without many complications and intricate architectures)

HahREF5583468

is this what you are talking about? ))))) my cousin's husband has it and yes, he says it's a beastly watch...

as for the mechanisms, to be honest, I don't really get into details too much with them... for me the design of the watch prevails. if I like how it looks, I don't really bother with the mechanism. and in general, I think people definitely get complicated on mechanisms. if the watch does what it has to do, why does the type of mechanism matter so much? especially since these complicated ones give so many headaches

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 13.42.24-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 13.42.24-min.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 0

HorsePower

I also had moments when the automatic mechanisms failed... but that never stopped me from loving them. so no, I'm not willing to change them to quartz ever in my life. on the contrary, I think this is what makes a watch valuable: the beauty of its mechanism. this does not mean that I do not appreciate quartz watches. more than that, I have one in my collection, it's a TAG HEUER FORMULA 1 WAZ1110.FT8023 DATE QUARTZ GENTS BLACK RUBBER SPORTS WATCH that I got as a gift from my brother. it suits me from all perspectives. it has been working well for many years and I wear it when I know I need something very practical without it giving me a headache. but my heart remains true to automatics...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 13.52.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 13.52.28.png
    525 KB · Views: 0

Moderatto

I had no problems neither with the replica watches nor with the gen ones regarding their automatic movements. I had the luck to come across some high-quality watches. they only stop when I forget to wind them. and I often wear them even if they do not run and use my phone to check the time. :DDDDDD

after all, I like their design and I see them as complementary accessories to my outfit and I don't mind if they stay frozen because I forgot to wind them :DDDD
I don't have any problem with quartz, but I haven't met the quartz watch yet that I really like )

Ocean BLUE

mechanical models are the best for me. it seems to me that quartz is a too cheap option and there is not much horology in it.... I don't think that winding is as much effort as many say here.... and their price doesn't scare me either... no all mechanical watches cost over 2k... at the same time, I also have a repair shop in the area where I live, so I don't stress at all about getting a more affordable mechanical watch. I love horology, that's why a quartz is of no interest to me

DBP

it seems to me that quartz is for a separate segment of users. usually people who are more into simple things, and love everything to happen quickly, and without complications, a quartz is a good alternative. really, these mechanisms are not difficult. you just bought your watch and you have nothing to do with it but to enjoy its wearing
with mechanics things are different... you have to love and have a special admiration for them in order to understand them and resonate with them.

@dancerINTHEdark you can switch to quartz whenever you want, but I think you will miss the mechanics and you will return to it after some time. if you have had automatic watches until now, quartz will seem like toys next to them to u

Myryopod

you formulated the thread as if you made a vow to become a monk :DDDDDDD ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

you are taking things too seriously))) if you feel that you have to make a change, why are you looking for validation in the forums? as if I told you NOT TO SWITCH TO QUARTZ, WOULD YOU LISTEN TO ME?! :DDDDD do as you know best, there is no rule here. take a break, try a quartz, then go back to mechanics. Or maybe you won't get back to it... experience will show you... in any case, you don't have to follow what others tell you. I switched from quartz to menanics and until now I'm satisfied, although everyone around me told me that it doesn't make any sense and I won't perceive the principle of mechanical watches.... I see that everything suits me more than I expected. however, I don't rule out switching back to quartz someday, but I definitely won't ask anyone if it should or shouldn't :DDDD

StatusQUO

last year I even tested a mechanical and a quartz. I was curious to know what difference I would feel between the 2. I had a GS quartz and I decided to compare it with a ball mechanics. leaving aside all the comments, opinions, and myths, here is what I concluded:

- the quartz watch seems much lighter to me
-quartz is thinner
-quatz gives me fewer headaches. not that I would mind the frequent winding, but I found it refreshing not to depend on the winding mechanism. after all, I wear my watch not as a statement piece, but as an instrument to read the time. and quartz makes a good job at this aspect .... if you like to complicate your lives, mechanics is a good option

Minimalist

@StatusQUO sorry dude, one of the biggest nonsense I've heard.... "mechanics ar for those who love to complicate"..... it means that u know nothing about wastches and true horology...
according to me, both have their purpose and special magic in them. it all depends on everyone's needs and preferences... but the difference is by no means about complicating life... bullshit...

$BarHat$

to be honest, I don't understand why the world divides quartz and mechanics according to the principle of "high-end" and "cheap". imho, it all depends on what you are looking for in your watch. after all, these are 2 options to satisfy certain needs of different people.

when you buy a mecsnic with, you are probably not looking for a watch that is necessarily high-end, but rather you are looking for something that will attract you specifically because of its complexity, or another reason is that you simply want to avoid all kinds of batteries in your watch...

and even if mecnaical watches cause small errors, you're ok anyway, as long as the watch doesn't have a battery... exactly the same and vice versa... if you're looking for precision and something that's easy to use, than it is undoubtedly a quartz. and not because it's cheaper. what does it matter if it's cheaper or not? the important thing is that it gives you what you need, otherwise you would hate the mechanical system in manual watches.
none of them is wrong, they all have their point and purpose.

PreciousJohn

To be honest, I have never seen quartz watches as inferior alternatives... they are just alternatives, not necessarily inferior. I personally love simple and quick things and it annoys me when something consumes my time and makes me do unnecessary things. for some, manual watch winding is a pleasure, for me it's nerve wracking because I always forget to do it. for this reason, an automatic, or even a quartz is more than welcome....
yes, they are cheaper, but by no means inferior

BusyAsHell

there is no rule that prevents you from wearing what suits you..I do the same, I don't care much about the opinions and comments of others. in the end, everyone chooses according to needs, budget, and preferences. I had both quartz and automatic watches. the automatic ones bored me when it came time to wind them at the most inappropriate moments. therefore, quartz was advantageous to me from all points of view. then I switched back to automatic, for the simple reason that I was tired of the quartz ones, from their design to be more precise. and in general, I'm not really interested in the mechanism, but more in the design. first I resonate with aesthetics of a watch, and only after that I am interested in the mechanism. either way, a quartz has never been a dealbreaker for me

Rochdale

it just so happens that the watches I have are not quartz... but not because I have anything against them... these seem more like optimal to me and if someone prefers them for their comfort, I really have no problem with this.... these give an accuracy of about 15 sec A MONTH... is that bad? i don't think so... that's quite acceptable. So I resonate with your decision. Go ahead with your decision. when you get bored (if this ever happens) you will return to the mechanical ones.

Michelangelo

the background for which you buy a watch matters the most.

most will say that an automatic is the golden mean of all. manually wound are something special and delicate, because when you wind them, there seems to be a more special satisfaction. and I agree with that, if honest.

as for quartz, it is about the priority of comfort. you want an accessory that doesn't give you much hustle, the battery lasts a long time and the accuracy is superb- than go for a quartz. the shortcoming, at least for me, is its ticking instead of sweeping.

for a first watch, I would recommend an automatic. after that, it's ok to try a quartz and a manual to feel the difference.

besides that, I also take into account other aspects in the favor or disfavor of a quartz.
- for example: the accuracy of the watch. A decent quartz, as a rule, fluctuates with a variation of 5 seconds per month, if we are talking about a really decent one. autos will vary between +/-5 sec per day. the difference is somehow huge, especially for those who want to set the time and forget about it. pedants and accuracy obsessives will also appreciate a quartz in this sense.

- the frequency of the watch also matters. those who tend to forget their watches at home for several days in a row will probably feel more comfortable with a quartz. an auto will stop and it will be necessary to reset it every time. so in this context, quartz wins again. if we're talking about solar quartz - then you can forget about it for years, because it works anyway because the battery is charged by the sun. So, if its a daily watch, auto will do. but if it is a watch for "once in a while", I don't think you have the pleasure of setting it every time, so a quartz is more welcome.

So, I think you should get your watch according to the specific needs, and not "just because it's an auto/quartz/manual" without even understanding their specifics.

You are right when you say that quartz wins, but this is true in certain circumstances. everything is relative)

StevenOhio

even if it is considered relatively affordable and a mediocre version, quatrrz are the ksot reliable and the most servideable watches ive ever had. very simple to use, hard to break, always functioning precisely without much hassle. quartz watxhes are a great option for when u want long term reliability and trouble free operation, also they have a very good price; what's there not to like? 1

MiracuLuis

I don't have anything against quartz watches personally, however, my preference goes for the traditional watch concepts so I'd choose an auto if I had to make a choice. At the same time, I admit that the vintage quartz analogues fascinate me, a good example is the Seiko models. I do not rule out that in a few years, these will increase in value. Now they are very affordable, but due to their usefulness and reliability, I assume that the price will increase a lot, so quartz watches can be collectible goods

Cinar73967

not sure about "the best" but for sure they are a good option. quartz do have some trade-offs compared to autos or manuals. but these are minimal compared to their advantages. for daily practicality and easy use, quartz is just fabulous