Replica/ Counterfeit/ knock-off??? What's the difference? Help

UdlinINTEL

Here's a thing, guys,
I am a newbie in this industry. And I admit that replica watches, whatever they mean, attract me and I like them. I really want to buy one. But I have a moral block. Some say that these are counterfeit and therefore, it is illegal to buy them. I don't want to engage in illegal things. And if so, I will probably focus on microbrands (although I would really like a replica of a luxury brand).

Others say that they are not illegal, that it is ok to buy them, because, in the end, no one regulates this industry. If the client decides to spend money on whatever stuff, there is no problem.

Others invoke morality in favor of brands. I mean, watch copies only harm the image and sales of the brand, and therefore it is unethical to opt for a knockoff. I know that watch brands fight with the fake industry as much as possible to defend their copyrights. But what do those who want a luxury watch but can't afford it (like me) do?! So, replica alternatives would be an option...

I don't want to engage in dirty things. But I find it difficult to understand who is right and who is wrong. So, I'm calling you because the information on the internet is somehow vague.

I appreciate any feedback in advance!

CityBreak

very good question, actually
and many people face it
I am a replica watch hobbyist and I have no reservations about this fact
I accept in good faith that I am paying for a fake watch and I assume all responsibilities for this
if I had the option to buy a genuine watch, I would gladly do it. But I can't afford it. So, a fake one comforts me very well. As for the moral aspect, sorry, I also feel no guilt. There is no law that legally defines the concept of "knockoff" and that could hold those implied accountable for their sale/purchase. So, for now, I'm not breaking any laws.
There is a law regulating counterfeit goods. But counterfeit is not the same thing as the replica industry. The difference is subtle, but it still exists

So, sorry, luxury watch brands!!! I would love to have an authentic watch of yours, but your prices are way beyond my means!!! So I find solutions as I can

GeorgeClintonBiden

@UdlinINTEL if you're not sure and you're not ready to take all the blame, get yourself a microbrand watch. There are many genuine watches very similar to big brands like rolex, patek, hublot and others that you like. That way you get more peace of mind and the question closed.

I have the impression that the replica watch hobby is for the brave, ready to take risks πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

Perpetual

very good question, actually
and many people face it
I am a replica watch hobbyist and I have no reservations about this fact
I accept in good faith that I am paying for a fake watch and I assume all responsibilities for this
if I had the option to buy a genuine watch, I would gladly do it. But I can't afford it. So, a fake one comforts me very well. As for the moral aspect, sorry, I also feel no guilt. There is no law that legally defines the concept of "knockoff" and that could hold those implied accountable for their sale/purchase. So, for now, I'm not breaking any laws.
There is a law regulating counterfeit goods. But counterfeit is not the same thing as the replica industry. The difference is subtle, but it still exists

So, sorry, luxury watch brands!!! I would love to have an authentic watch of yours, but your prices are way beyond my means!!! So I find solutions as I can
be more specific pls

what's the difference between counterfeit and replica?

CityBreak

be more specific pls

what's the difference between counterfeit and replica?
counterfeit refers to goods that are sold pretending to be genuine. The goal of those who sell counterfeits is to deceive customers by telling them that the product is genuine. So, while they sell bad quality, they ask prices that are much too high, but low enough to convince the customer of a good deal.

When we talk about knock-off/replica watches, the sellers are transparent and they openly admit that they are selling a copy. As such, the client decides for himself if he accepts a copy with all its shortcomings and benefits, or still pays more but gets a genuine one. So, it's about the attitude towards the customer. in addition, the replica industry offers a wide variety of prices for the free choice of the customer. Counterfeit goods are always expensive because sellers sell them as genuine

BenStone

I generally think that "replica watch" is an umbrella term. This refers to both replica homage and knockoffs. As @CityBreak says, I also think that "counterfeit" does not fall under the term "replica".

Homage reps are those that resemble the authentic watch, keeping many of the distinctive elements and signatures of the brand from the authentic watch. This kind usually has noticeable differences with the genuine watch as manufacturers only keep the distinctive features of the gen. The rest is up to their creativity. These, in a way, pay tribute to the authentic model and the one who wears it somehow conveys that he appreciates the brand and the respective series of watches. knock-offs are very close to gens. Sometimes, almost indistinguishable from a gen. But as long as the sellers openly declare that they are knockoffs, I don't see any problem, neither legal nor moral, in buying one.

As for "watch copies only harm the image and sales of the brand," C'MOOOOOON!!!! as if the replica industry disappeared, all watch lovers would immediately buy genuine watches. Genuine luxury watches and replica watches are for 2 completely different customer segments. So it has nothing to do with each other

BenStone

in my view, counterfeit is not the same as replica. even if the terms are very close to each other. Counterfwit is really more about deceiving people, I agree with the above mentioned. As for the replica, it's a common practice to replicate things. Take museums, for example. They have many Egyptian pieces, for example, which are replicas, actually. Their purpose is to show how a certain historical object once was. Given the fact that archaeological objects are in few examples, it is normal for them to have replicas to show the world how they once looked.

It is exactly the same with the replica watch industry. These are copies that show what an authentic luxury watch is like that few people can afford. So I see absolutely no problem in wearing a replica. it's my money, it's my decision. For the rest, I don't really care

There are many things that I do not accept in luxury brands. For example, those that use natural fur from animals. The brands don't give a damn about many people rebelling against the killing of animals as long as they have substantial revenue. So, why should I give a damn about their reputation and "their money loss" because of the replica industry?! NOTHING PERSONAL. JUST BUSINESS

That simple

Greg_B

in my view, counterfeit is not the same as replica. even if the terms are very close to each other. Counterfwit is really more about deceiving people, I agree with the above mentioned. As for the replica, it's a common practice to replicate things. Take museums, for example. They have many Egyptian pieces, for example, which are replicas, actually. Their purpose is to show how a certain historical object once was. Given the fact that archaeological objects are in few examples, it is normal for them to have replicas to show the world how they once looked.

It is exactly the same with the replica watch industry. These are copies that show what an authentic luxury watch is like that few people can afford. So I see absolutely no problem in wearing a replica. it's my money, it's my decision. For the rest, I don't really care

There are many things that I do not accept in luxury brands. For example, those that use natural fur from animals. The brands don't give a damn about many people rebelling against the killing of animals as long as they have substantial revenue. So, why should I give a damn about their reputation and "their money loss" because of the replica industry?! NOTHING PERSONAL. JUST BUSINESS

That simple
Would you like to have a business that someone could copy in a very bad way and use your name? I do not think so

Simposium5338

Would you like to have a business that someone could copy in a very bad way and use your name? I do not think so
those who cannot tell the difference between a replica and a genuine one are uninitiated. A true lover of a luxury brand knows how to tell the difference and will never create an impression of it based on a replica. So, I don't really see much risk for the brand. Those who can afford an authentic watch know where to buy it and how to confirm its authenticity. So if I feel sorry for those who buy a Rolex from the boutique on the corner of the street in China town and complain that the watch is so bad... Why would that be?!

Ocean BLUE

replica and knockoff are the same thing. if you have such a watch, it means that you admire the brand, you like its style, you resonate with its politics and philosophy, etc. If you get a counterfeit, it means that most likely someone lied to you and sold you "an authentic watch on sale" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

dancerINTHEdark

like it or not, I think we all understand very well that all these terms are fake watches. counterfeit - they are of poor quality. Replicas and knockoffs are of good to superb quality. Either way, they all fall under the FAKE WATCHES incident. So, just accept it. For the rest, they are just derivations that everyone interprets as they want just to disguise the fact that it is a fake, and not to bear any moral guilt

Rochdale

I feel absolutely no moral guilt)) as long as there is no clear law, I don't see why I should feel guilty. In front of luxury watch brands?????? Let them make more accessible watches and I will be the first to get an authentic one 😁😁😁

Steve

why should we hide behind the finger? 😁😁😁 obviously they are all counterfeit)) the terms "replica" "imitation" "copy" are only to soften the meaning of couterfeit"😁😁😁😁 though, indeed, all of them have different quality levels, i must admit) but even so, quality does not exempt them from the "couterfeit" label

sorry for ruining someone's expectations 😁

SwInEIGh

does it really matter to you?)
what matters is that none of these categories is original) the rest is just dust) no offense)

The thing is that like any other industry, the replica one has different degrees of quality. Someone produces better rep watches, someone worse. But these are copies anyway, regardless of their quality. Do you think that Rolex will not sue a factory that produces reps, just because it makes high-quality imitations?!)) They all fall under the counterfeit incident) like it or not)

here u have the oxford explanation "made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud." So, how does a rep differ from a counterfeit?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.43.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.43.33.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 0

ObeisDexter

does it really matter to you?)
what matters is that none of these categories is original) the rest is just dust) no offense)

The thing is that like any other industry, the replica one has different degrees of quality. Someone produces better rep watches, someone worse. But these are copies anyway, regardless of their quality. Do you think that Rolex will not sue a factory that produces reps, just because it makes high-quality imitations?!)) They all fall under the counterfeit incident) like it or not)

here u have the oxford explanation "made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud." So, how does a rep differ from a counterfeit?
no, no, and once again no!!!!!!
here is the definition of a "replica"!!!!!!!

it is totally different from what counterfeit means!!!!!!

Counterfeit CLAIMS to be original, the replica instead, OPENLY ASSUMES that it is a replica and does not deceive anyone. There are many dealers who assume that they sell replica watches being honest with the consumer who has free choice!!!!!!! the counterfeit does not offer the option to choose!!! the consumer thinks he is buying an original, which translates into moral damage!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.46.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.46.33.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

YuliusMeinl

I think that if we go into the details of the definitions' meaning we will go down to Adam and Eve :D

why not leave this to the authorities to decide?! As long as no one regulates the replica industry, I see no problem in buying what I like, even if it is an imitation watch. If the government releases clear laws and sanctions for buying replica watches, then I will revisit this hobby. Meanwhile, I don't really care if it's a replica or a fake or a counterfeit: all are copies for me... whatever it is, I like that it's cheaper than the original, which I can't afford)

RoyaInk

a counterfeit is always a replica
a replica is not always a counterfeit
we cannot compare them by definition. It's all about quality and concept. If the quality is bad - it's counterfeit. if the quality is good - it means that it is a replica because it exactly reproduces the authentic model. as for the concept - replicas are confirmed to be replicas, All those who sell replicas speak honestly about it. while counterfeit is often sold as original to a low culture audience

HorsePower

how does it help you if you catalog one replica watch according to the "replica"/"knockoff"/counterfeit standard????? In the end, they are all copies, better or worse, more expensive or cheaper. You can have the best and most expensive replica ever , IT'S STILL A REP and never a gen)

DoctorWHO

how does it help you if you catalog one replica watch according to the "replica"/"knockoff"/counterfeit standard????? In the end, they are all copies, better or worse, more expensive or cheaper. You can have the best and most expensive replica ever , IT'S STILL A REP and never a gen)
MAYBE 'CAUSE COUNTERFEIT IS OF MUCH WORSE QUALITY???!!! Another reason would be the price of the replica. A counterfeit doesn't cost more than 3 $ with its trash quality. But some dealers ask for such watches up to $200. A good replica might cost $200, but it has exceptional quality if you know which factory to buy it from...

So, the status matters a lot. Counterfeit is produced in every corner of China in the basements of buildings. Reps are made with high performance equipment. So, I see a huge difference between these types of watches

Ethan

the difference is subtle, but it exists anyway... at least, I think a replica is a very good quality item, exceptional even... someone mentioned here a good example of museum replicas. these are meant to be perfect imitations of smth really old like geological artefacts or smth like that... on the other hand, counterfeit are poor quality imitations with many differences from the genuine good..... at least, that's how i see things

knock-offs... well, it refers to everything that is copied, I guess, regardless of quality. That is, it is a synonym for imitations without explaining exactly their degree of quality... correct me if I'm wrong