Returning watches

WorldWideWisdom

Guys, there is one question that keeps on running in my head for a while. Would like to talk about watches we return to, after being left aside for a certain period of time. I observed a certain cycle with my watches. I find out about a certain watch, I stick to it until I decide to have it, wear it for a certain period of time, get bored with it later on (give it to someone else, re-sell, whatever), and buy it again after a certain period as I get nostalgic about it. I can either buy the exact same model or it might be 1,2 iterations apart.
I predominantly talk here about watches that I re-buy for my personal satisfaction, not about cases when I lose one or when one gets broken.
Usually, people look for something new and wear them until they find plenty of shortcomings and never return to them. But, a certain segment does return to previous models even if they spotted certain disadvantages in them. So, what must a watch have in it to make you return to it, ignoring minor shortcomings? Curious about your opinions and experiences

staYingPosiTIve!!!

That’s why I almost never re-sell the watches I buy. I rather leave them safely in the safe for an undetermined period of time than get rid of them. If I decide to have a new watch, it means it has something special in it. With the passing of time, we all get used to them and the “special” of them somehow vanishes. BUT it returns after a certain period. I think we return to them because we unconsciously compare them with the other new ones. And, after a while, we just want that feeling back

peGASus4338#!

Honestly, never had such experiences. On the contrary, after buying several watches, I quickly sold them as I couldn’t get used to them and felt highly uncomfortable with them on.

Also, many watches I’ve been selling because of the deceptive and misleading pics. Online stores know very well how to create attractive pics, while in reality, these look absolutely different.

From my experience, don’t have watches to return to

UltrARiott

never heard of such a cycle. neither me, nor my close friends that are also watch enthusiasts make such a complicated watch "roadmap"...
stop selling them if you know you're gonna return to them and that's all...

hiFUProstry

Guys, there is one question that keeps on running in my head for a while. Would like to talk about watches we return to, after being left aside for a certain period of time. I observed a certain cycle with my watches. I find out about a certain watch, I stick to it until I decide to have it, wear it for a certain period of time, get bored with it later on (give it to someone else, re-sell, whatever), and buy it again after a certain period as I get nostalgic about it. I can either buy the exact same model or it might be 1,2 iterations apart.
I predominantly talk here about watches that I re-buy for my personal satisfaction, not about cases when I lose one or when one gets broken.
Usually, people look for something new and wear them until they find plenty of shortcomings and never return to them. But, a certain segment does return to previous models even if they spotted certain disadvantages in them. So, what must a watch have in it to make you return to it, ignoring minor shortcomings? Curious about your opinions and experiences
is it a sort of fetish?
if you know you get quickly bored of them, then why you buy them? and why you see them if you now "you get nostalgic"? and may I also ask you, after which period you re-sell them?
sorry, but it's sounds more like a phycological issue all this cycle

CringeUser

could you all answer in a more respectful manner? if there isn't anything constructive in your feedback, then DON'T GIVE IT!!!!!

I actually had only once such an experience. Used to wear a Ball Rescue Chronograph for half a year, some years ago. later, I got a Speedmaster rep, and I kinda forgot about the previous one. Idk, the Speedmaster was somehow more practical for the daily use. So, I thought I wouldn't wear the Ball rescue Chrono and I stupidly sold it. it's not necessarily that I got bored of it, I liked it. it just circumstantially turned so that I wasn't using it and I thought it would be better to sell it to someone who would.

Further, I was missing that watch. didn't buy another watch actually, but did experience that nostalgia for a while. Actually, id probably buy it repeatedly, it it was a bit more affordable

WatchOveR

Pretty strange your question, dear author :D
Ever experienced such thoughts and feelings before, but now that I read your post, it made me think
Actually, I would probably return to my first watch, it was a Timex that I bought with my own savings. After some time, I bought another and another one, and I gave my watch to my nephew. I don’t regret it actually, he wears it proudly up till nowadays. But, I now understand it would be great to simply keep my ever-first watch for its emotional value. The problem is that I wouldn’t buy a new one, exactly the same model. I would like to have my first watch back. A new one, even of the same model, would not mean as much to me as the “original'' version

concientE

I know what you mean... its about the comparison effect. You can only understand the value of one thing when you begin using other thing. Only then, you ca realize the value of the primary one.
Didn't experienced such feelings with watches, but had something similar with cars. I changed one car for another one, thinking I couldn't "resonate" with it. when I got the second one, I ran into so many issues with it, that I wanted my first one back, as I understood that its issues were nothing compared to the second car's ones.
perhaps, something similar can happen with watches also

KaraTisH

nope, didn't have such cases as I recall. I keep all the reps and gens until they are no longer wearable. if you like them, why sell them?

whySOniCE456

Actually, I think that such a situation is ok. there are cases when you get a watch and it doesn't fit. after some time, you plan a special occasion or event and you remember that watch, thinking that it would fit so well, but you don't longer have it. this was my case in fact. I bought a formal Hmt Analog Men Watch I Silver Alloy Strap compulsively. I realized I didn't wear it anywhere and I gave it to some of my friends. When my cousin married, I thought of that watch, as it would have perfectly fit my look.

It's true that I didn't get it repeatedly, I just bought a Patek Philippe rep instead. But, with this situation, I learned to not give my watches to anyone anymore

Twirejj4279

I had an opposite situation actually. I got a Tudor Black `bay rep and after a week of wearing it distressed about it because I would have better bought a Submariner...
and within 2 weeks, my rep stopped working at all 😂😂😂😂 it just didn't work😂😂 like it felt I didn't watch it anynmore😂😂😂

bagaBOO57335

don't see anything strange in the author's case, unlike most of those commenting here...
it can happen to anyone actually...
how many times have you compulsively bought a shirt or anything else and when getting home, you sk yourself "why the f*ck did I buy it?"? it happens all of the time to me
so can happen with watches. it's likely to either hate it within the first week, or the other way around, to understand it's value only after losing it...
you critical people...😖😖

Eugene

strange way to buy watches and them resell them 🫣🫣🫣 maybe you just stop reselling them if you know you feel nostalgic for them after a while.... in my case, i also ight get bored of a watch if I wear it daily. i just leave it aside and use another one. and so on. but it never occurred to me to sell them... I wear them until they break permanently or until the model is no longer current, unless it's a luxury piece for heritage

Albert

some watches simply have their time... while the trend dictates another style, these may not fit in the cotext even if you find them special. So, it's not a problem if you think they're not current, and you come back to them after a while... I just think you should stop selling them, especially since you know there's a chance you'll come back to it later

BusyAsHell

nope, I haven't had such experiences... I wear the watches until I get tired of them, then I either sell them or give them away. I buy more modern, newer ones, without any remorse. the ones I bought as investment pieces are in the box to give to my descendants. that's pretty much the process