Rolex Submariner Vintage

randomWATCHlover

Hi, guys,

In the last period, I was thinking about a Submariner vintage watch. The main priority is to be a versatile one, for daily use, including a good water resistance profile. A new one wouldn’t be to my liking Ince I’m kinda attracted by the vintage patina id like to see on my watch. One of the models I was thinking about was 1680, though not really sure about its water resistance properties considering that the watch is already more than 50 years. On the other hand, having a watch that had been regularly serviced, might be a solution?! I don’t exclude other models as well. Was considering the 168000 and 16610 as well. Some of them don’t come with the specific patina which I would want on my piece. But, the patina is not the first priority, while the WR profile is.

If there are any other suggestions, pls consider that the 41mm case does not fit my wrist and it falls too large on it. All comments are welcome, thanks…

howdyREP

Don’t really see why you should be concerned. If u find 1680 that suits u, check its functionalities with an authorized expert including the WR profile. After all, they test it under water pressure and will tell u for sure what’s its condition. In the worst-case scenario, if it doesn’t pass the test, simply change the gaskets and all other detail it needs. 50 years watch is not s reason to worry, especially with a good expert near u

PeperoNNi

To widen your spectrum, take into account a matte 16800 version. Nice-looking and new enough to meet your WR demands. Think that it wouldn’t let u down with water impact. Even with a potential need in service, components are pretty available. I haven’t ever had a Submariner vintage, so can’t promise much of it. But I own a GMT which is about the same age as the 16800 and had never issues with it. With regular service, it resists water pretty well. Price for the vintage 16800 is pretty affordable so it can suit u from all angles

Would recommend that u not rely on the pressure test only. No one can guarantee that an old watch would resist water even if it has been regularly serviced including parts replacement. Consider that the case-back and the case, in general, can also be a factor contributing to the WR profile. If these are somehow affected, the gasket replacement would not help u much. So, don’t think u want a watch requiring some major service. My advice is to check the overall condition, and not only the WR PROPERTY.

STERYBOL

Would u please be more specific about your intentions regarding water? Swimming in the pool or showering is a bit different from diving… either way, a new gasket replacement will definitely pass the test. My brother takes his 1680 regularly to the swimming pool and no issues have ever reported

EasyPeasY57299

Find the appropriate watch, test it accordingly and enjoy it. That’s a really good reference, indeed. Most ADs wills sure that the watch is waterproof after being serviced. But, still, be always prudent. I, personally, would never take the vintage to swim. But, if you trust your AD, give it a try

J9$!Dw23

In terms of solidity, the 16610 is a rock bet, imho

The other models, 168000 and 16800 are a bit safer and riskless due to improved iterations

As for 1680, it would be a good option whenever checked and serviced regularly, with dial, gaskets, seals checked and improved if needed.

The latter would have more value in terms of patina, but not secure from water resistance. For the daily use, though, it would be a great option

Hope to be helpful)

howdyREP

Had the happy chance to own both the 16800 and 1680. To my feeling, the former felt far more comfortable to me. No stress in setting the date quickly and flawlessly neither had issues with the crystal, highly safe anti-scratching. Aesthetically though, the 1680 crystal seemed more attractive to me… as for the dial, my vote goes for the 16800. Loved a lot the matte transition and its vintage appeal

thiN1k1ngTWICe

Why don’t u consider a sea dweller instead, if the WR is so crucial to you?

The 16600 lines would suit u, especially if you opt for a Neo vintage model… sturdy and reliable like a rock

I met a guy in Tahiti last summer wearing a Double Red 1976. We somehow began the discussion about it and he told he had it pressure-tested right before the holiday. he snorkeled with it on without a single worry about WR. Told he was thinking about a nice-looking 16800 matte dial patina and was waiting for a decent price.

platoonshrek

Hi, guys,

In the last period, I was thinking about a Submariner vintage watch. The main priority is to be a versatile one, for daily use, including a good water resistance profile. A new one wouldn’t be to my liking Ince I’m kinda attracted by the vintage patina id like to see on my watch. One of the models I was thinking about was 1680, though not really sure about its water resistance properties considering that the watch is already more than 50 years. On the other hand, having a watch that had been regularly serviced, might be a solution?! I don’t exclude other models as well. Was considering the 168000 and 16610 as well. Some of them don’t come with the specific patina which I would want on my piece. But, the patina is not the first priority, while the WR profile is.

If there are any other suggestions, pls consider that the 41mm case does not fit my wrist and it falls too large on it. All comments are welcome, thanks…
snorkeling and simply swimming is different from diving... when you say "water resistance" what do you refer actually to?

staYingPosiTIve!!!

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 11.30.05-min.png
look at this vintage beauty

it's my buddy's piece.
Dates back to 1976 and it’s a 1680. I can’t tell you how many times this watch was exposed to water as my close friend takes it to the swimming pools, not to mention lakes and seas every summer. During its entire existence, at least since the moment, my friend became its owner, he serviced it only once when spotted some signs of condensation on it. The watchmaker serviced it as required and my buddy continued to take the watch to its regular adventures.

My point is to ignore the scratches from the surface as they look great according to my friend. But, as for the water resistance, he doesn’t worry at all as the watch showed great resistance. Don’t transform vintage watches into sensitive pieces. These are made to serve forever

JL$4k029

Not sure about taking a vintage Rolex swimming and water activities performing. It’s too expensive to assume the risk 😂

Grab a G-Shock instead, namely for water activities, and leave the vintage to do its function: providing you moral satisfaction :D

I mean I do know that Subs were mainly created for this purpose but once you stress about it so much, just don’t take to the water.

WatchOveR

16800 nice choice, very reliable at string bars, these are unlikely to ever break. The only thing retaining me from it is the price of a potential donor watch, just in case. A donor won’t be cheap, so the better the quality, the better of you :D

WatchOveR

Not sure about taking a vintage Rolex swimming and water activities performing. It’s too expensive to assume the risk 😂

Grab a G-Shock instead, namely for water activities, and leave the vintage to do its function: providing you moral satisfaction :D

I mean I do know that Subs were mainly created for this purpose but once you stress about it so much, just don’t take to the water.
so, why should a Sub be bought for, then? beauty? :D