round or rectangular?

Ghosterry

lemme ask you a simple question but which gives many problems: round or rectangular watches?
I'm mostly referring to Gshocks, but opinions about any other watch will also do.
Personally, I'm always closer to rectangular timepieces. Maybe because they better preserve the traditional spirit of vintage watches. but in the end, Round ones also instill a lot of classic in them and I see that many manufacturers release round cases more and more often in the last period. thoughts?

CasPer$$hunteR

don't make me choose)) both are close to my heart and I couldn't make a decision in this regard)

what I like about square watches is that they laid the foundation for digital watches and they immediately became remarkable compared to the traditional round models. The analog ones are also always round because of the hands' circular motion. The square ones are more informative, somehow. in terms of utility, they have more functions that you can look at and manage, especially in digital watches. I can't imagine operating with so many functions as in my Apple watch in a round digital watch. it's like talking about a TV that shows the image clearly.

in the end, I think that trends will always shift between round and square watches. always, back and forth. What remains behind inevitably reappears with time. at the moment, I personally am closer to square digitals. But I do not rule out that I will shift to the round soon

NETEriuM

a few weeks ago I came across a Casio catalog illustrating popular models between '84 and '92. It is curious that at the beginning of this timeline, rectangular models abounded over circular ones. Slowly and gradually, those approaching '92 became more and more round. by 92, already 50% of all the brand's watches included round cases, gradually leaving aside the rectangular models... it's a pity that I didn't find the continuation of the catalog to conclude how and when the trend ended....

I'm mostly for circulation, mostly. no specific reason, just closer to my soul

depending on which one is better and easier to read. actually, both can be legible enough, it only depends on the layout and the watch dial. Personally, I love it when the watch has enough space and symmetry, and it seems to me that the round ones are more suitable for this purpose. square watches are about boldness and clean lines, which may be to the liking of some. In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, I think. And mine is more for circular versions

Nobbing

it's not just about "round or rectangular" in a watch but about its essence...

Personally, I don't draw attention to the shape of the watch as much as its essence and the imprint of the brand on it. What does it matter if everyone is on trend with round watches, if a JLC, for example, is perfectly designed in a Reverso watch? There is so much essence in this watch that it will never go out of style, even if all the round watches in the world can take over the watch industry.

round cases dominate the market, without any doubt. but precisely in this lies the superiority of the rectangular ones, that they are different. To be honest, I have some round models. But none of them make me feel the way I feel with my Tank, let alone with the VC 1972 (replica). Namely, the different case is what makes the watch special, namely with them I accumulate plenty of ovations and praises for my accessory. With the round ones though, well, nothing special about them, if they have a trendy and attractive design.

So, I'm more for "out-of-the-box" in this dilemma. if it's for a mediocre feeling, then it's a round watch. if it is for a more special and different feeling, it must definitely be a rectangular/square case

Twirejj4279

lemme ask you a simple question but which gives many problems: round or rectangular watches?
I'm mostly referring to Gshocks, but opinions about any other watch will also do.
Personally, I'm always closer to rectangular timepieces. Maybe because they better preserve the traditional spirit of vintage watches. but in the end, Round ones also instill a lot of classic in them and I see that many manufacturers release round cases more and more often in the last period. thoughts?
I think you should have what appeals more to your feelings and inner sense. I never get caught up in descriptions like "most trendy/entry level/most sought-after" because I simply don't think that real watch lovers obey these clichés.

I don't care at all about scathing reviews on different forums about the watches I love. if I resonate with it - that's all that matters to me. Following this principle, I once bought a gold-pink VC 56 replica, although people were not very happy with this model. but it appealed to me, I felt good with it, it made me feel confident and represented me. I think that any true lover of watches will choose according to his inner sense. At the moment, my favorite timepiece is the Santos 100, which, by the way, is a square-shaped accessory. I think you can guess what types of watches I prefer...

cheers

SwInEIGh

It seems strange to me that many here opt for rectangular watches, but in the end, everyone around wears a round watch...

on the whole, I see this choice exclusively dependent on personal taste and style. So, it's not exactly correct to say that one is better than the other. Both are good from different perspectives. Maximum what we can do here is to share with which type we resonate more, but without criticizing that one is better than the other.

On the whole, the round ones have a more classic and timeless look. After all, these were the first models that appeared in horology. So, rectangular cases are about the evolution of watches over time. that is, they are more about novelty and progress. THIS IS A FACT. So, for a more traditional look, the round ones will suit you better.

The square/rectangular ones are more about modernism as they are sleeker. These are more suitable for making a fashion statement, even if many of them also keep a classic style. but, don't forget about the complications. the most difficult and intricate complications are included in the round ones, which again brings round watches closer to classic and traditional. SO, THE MODERN AIR OF RECTANGULAR WATCHES IS A FACT

Another aspect to mention is the wrist shape. if you put a square watch on a slim wrist, it will look horrible. It looks better on a wider wrist. Conversely, the round one looks much better on a slimmer wrist and complements it better. You can endlessly love square watches... but what's the use if you have a slim wrist and you have to wear a round one?! So, WRIST COMPATIBILITY AND WATCH SHAPE IS A FACT

So, it's not just about shape, but also about many other background aspects = that determine the choice between round and rectangular. everyone chooses according to their own style and convenience. I'm closer to round ones

JL$4k029

It seems strange to me that many here opt for rectangular watches, but in the end, everyone around wears a round watch...

on the whole, I see this choice exclusively dependent on personal taste and style. So, it's not exactly correct to say that one is better than the other. Both are good from different perspectives. Maximum what we can do here is to share with which type we resonate more, but without criticizing that one is better than the other.

On the whole, the round ones have a more classic and timeless look. After all, these were the first models that appeared in horology. So, rectangular cases are about the evolution of watches over time. that is, they are more about novelty and progress. THIS IS A FACT. So, for a more traditional look, the round ones will suit you better.

The square/rectangular ones are more about modernism as they are sleeker. These are more suitable for making a fashion statement, even if many of them also keep a classic style. but, don't forget about the complications. the most difficult and intricate complications are included in the round ones, which again brings round watches closer to classic and traditional. SO, THE MODERN AIR OF RECTANGULAR WATCHES IS A FACT

Another aspect to mention is the wrist shape. if you put a square watch on a slim wrist, it will look horrible. It looks better on a wider wrist. Conversely, the round one looks much better on a slimmer wrist and complements it better. You can endlessly love square watches... but what's the use if you have a slim wrist and you have to wear a round one?! So, WRIST COMPATIBILITY AND WATCH SHAPE IS A FACT

So, it's not just about shape, but also about many other background aspects = that determine the choice between round and rectangular. everyone chooses according to their own style and convenience. I'm closer to round ones
you are right when you say the rectangle faces as more modern. I think this is one of the reasons why Apple designs its Apple Watches in this way. According to the brand, the rectangle dial is much more versatile in use and more functional. also, a rectangle dial incorporates more symmetrical space for more digital functions and a larger display for better visibility. after all, even the design is more attractive than in a round one

LIgHtere

you are right when you say the rectangle faces as more modern. I think this is one of the reasons why Apple designs its Apple Watches in this way. According to the brand, the rectangle dial is much more versatile in use and more functional. also, a rectangle dial incorporates more symmetrical space for more digital functions and a larger display for better visibility. after all, even the design is more attractive than in a round one
I don't know why, but it seems to me that Apple made it a rectangle so that it wouldn't be identical to Samsung digitals and other Android-related stuff 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

STERYBOL

I don't know why, but it seems to me that Apple made it a rectangle so that it wouldn't be identical to Samsung digitals and other Android-related stuff 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
not so sure!!!! i'm the round watch guy and I hate anything of a different shape, including square and rectangle... as for Apple, I love everything it does, and I own the whole range of Apple devices, including the latest pro 15, iMac, iPaD, IPODS etc And so on. But because I hate rectangular watches, I had to decide to exclusively wear mechanical watches... From the digital series, I bought a MontBlanc smartwatch that satisfies all my digital needs. I admit that an apple watch probably would have pleased me more. but the frustration with the shape of the case is stronger for me than the desire to have an apple watch. I admit that my alternative smartwatch is more basic and does not perform as many functions and apps as a real apple. but, again, I'm not ready to accept the shape until Apple decides to go round.

by the way, I'm not the only one in this category, So apple looses plenty of sales in the round watches category

EmPoWeReD

not so sure!!!! i'm the round watch guy and I hate anything of a different shape, including square and rectangle... as for Apple, I love everything it does, and I own the whole range of Apple devices, including the latest pro 15, iMac, iPaD, IPODS etc And so on. But because I hate rectangular watches, I had to decide to exclusively wear mechanical watches... From the digital series, I bought a MontBlanc smartwatch that satisfies all my digital needs. I admit that an apple watch probably would have pleased me more. but the frustration with the shape of the case is stronger for me than the desire to have an apple watch. I admit that my alternative smartwatch is more basic and does not perform as many functions and apps as a real apple. but, again, I'm not ready to accept the shape until Apple decides to go round.

by the way, I'm not the only one in this category, So apple looses plenty of sales in the round watches category
I think you will have to wait like..... 4ever!!!! and thank you with your montblank 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.24.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.24.19.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 0

PeperoNNi

the question was about Gshoks as far as i remember...

I would need some more concrete data, for example, the exact models you are referring to @Ghosterry. on the whole, I prefer the round gshocks. The square ones do not incorporate the plenty of functions as well on their dials. In most cases, they have an unused space on the top and bottom, as in the picture, which reduces their readability. a Gshock must be accessible to the eye, and give all the information at a glance. It seems to me that in the squares this is in deficit. gshocks are for utility and not for aesthetics. so round would be more usable

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.29.06-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.29.06-min.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 0

WorldWideWisdom

if we talk about traditional watches, rectangular ones suit me better. I love Reverso, Santos, Seiko SUP880, Tank, Frederique Constant Carree and many others. The round ones have a place in my collection, but they have to be very refined to be able to compare them with the rectangular ones. Rolex Yacht-Master Titanium, Ming World Timer, Breitling Navitimer B01 Chronograph 43 Boeing 747 for example, inspire me a lot. But the thousands of mediocre round models are definitely below my preferences, and the rectangular ones eclipse them.

But if we talk about G shocks, then I'm more for the round models. the square ones actually seem limited. A round G shock has much more corpulent contours, the bezel is more present, the dial is wider and visibility is much better. So, yes, I'm for round cases when it's about Gshocks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.34.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 13.34.33.png
    768.2 KB · Views: 0

ArnoldTHEgreat

I see nothing wrong with the rectangular Gshocks. if I were to compare them with the round ones, they are sportier, more compact, tighter, and more aggressive. the round ones look wider, that's true. But I can't imagine a biker, for example, all aggressive and brutal, wearing a round Gshock. It seems to me that a square one would suit his look and style better. So, look at point one: everything depends on the style and the environment in which the watch is worn ☝️

PpiroJookK88735

octagonal case royal oak-like, which category does it fall into? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I think I am among the few who give credit to both options. but more than that, both seem a bit boring to me already. I love the cases that have a royal-oak-like and Hublot shape. I assume that they are more round than rectangular 😂😂😂😂😂, but the idea is that it is not the shape of the case that inspires me, but the bold design of the bezel that makes the difference. no rectangular watch has such a sophisticated bezel. And round watches are a bigger territory for creativity, functions, bezel designs and dials. The rectangular ones, even if more modern, do not have as much space for creativity. So, the round ones are closer for me I guess, and this also applies to Gshocks

I thought of comparing 2 watches, one from the category of the most appealing round watches ever, and one from the category of rectangular ones. According to google, I received these 2 options from the attached pictures. Both are the best in their categories, its a reverso and a
ARNOLD & SON Tourbillon Chrono 36, if I'm not mistaken. Both refined, both gorgeous in detail, both technically impressive. But let's admit it: the round guy is much more complex and best illustrates the essence of horology. The reverse is still compelling, but it looks a lot like "a watch like many others". the round one shows all the power of horology through the complexity of functions and complications. it's far more alluring and inviting into their horological realm. So, a round watch is more about horology than the rectangular ones. the rest are just variations

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 14.14.32.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 14.14.32.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 14.14.07-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 14.14.07-min.png
    335.8 KB · Views: 0

CosmoS

I thought of comparing 2 watches, one from the category of the most appealing round watches ever, and one from the category of rectangular ones. According to google, I received these 2 options from the attached pictures. Both are the best in their categories, its a reverso and a
ARNOLD & SON Tourbillon Chrono 36, if I'm not mistaken. Both refined, both gorgeous in detail, both technically impressive. But let's admit it: the round guy is much more complex and best illustrates the essence of horology. The reverse is still compelling, but it looks a lot like "a watch like many others". the round one shows all the power of horology through the complexity of functions and complications. it's far more alluring and inviting into their horological realm. So, a round watch is more about horology than the rectangular ones. the rest are just variations
possibly... but out of 10 people who will wear such a round watch, no matter how complex it is, the world around will notice the 11th who will wear a Reverso. Because it is different, because it is not part of the majority, because it does not align with the majority. Different things always attract attention. So rectangular options are much closer to my soul

However, I admit that this is not valid for G shocks. In general, I hate any Gshock, whether it's round or rectangular. It looks horrible... all of them... it's like wearing a brick on your wrist