Solid vs open caseback

DomPerignon

a watch must have a transparent caseback when it has something to show through it. if they have nothing to show, I don't see any sense in it. personally, I have no business with a watch that has a display or closed caseback. it has no value to me. but my question is directly addressed to the brands: why would they make transparent casebacks, if the internal mechanism is "so-so", i.e. not exactly refined?????

it is obvious that an ignorant person will swallow the bait and it will seem like something wow. but don't you think it's just a method to fool the world? If a transparent caseback is about beauty, then they must really look like a decoration, if they are still displayed to the public. otherwise, it's a foolish approach, I think.
Someone has well pointed out here the example with the car that has a portion of the engine visible. I think it's absurd. You either love the watch or not. it is not necessarily necessary to show all its internal "organs" to convince yourself that u likes it

$BarHat$

I think transparent casebacks are made specifically for the end owner of the watch, not for brands to brag about them. I admire them, but I would not be ready to overpay for such a benefit in my watch.

The owner is the only one who, in most cases, looks through the caseback display. and I'm sure he does it just to have fun, out of curiosity, out of interest. And by no means because he is too good at movements. let's be honest: how many of you understand a lot about mechanisms? they are as they are, some of them r more beautiful, others are not. But in essence, it is unlikely that these say too much about the performance of the watch. People hardly buy replica watches with a transparent caseback, believing that they are an indication of quality. But the replica watch can last up to a month and it breaks. How does this happen, if the mechanism seems to be quite "nice"? the visible movement is just a design detail, I think, and by no means an assurance that the watch is properly performing. you don't have to rely on it. just admire how it works, if that gives you pleasure. If not, just opt for a steel caseback.

YupyLuk

I don't see anything wrong with the fact that brands want to show their mechanism in watches. it seems to me a very attractive detail by the way. it's normal for brands to evolve, and the transparency of the caseback is a detail that suggests that a brand is moving forward. I don't think it would be normal for watch brands to stick to the same type of construction as they were 50 years ago. it's normal to evolve. even if not all mechanisms look flawless, it doesn't matter much. After all, not everyone understands whether a mechanism is perfectly executed or not.

The idea of transparent caseback is to show how the watch works from the inside. And it is not necessary for this to be beautiful, aesthetic, decorative. it works the way it works. You can watch time pass through the transparent caseback. I appreciate watch factories that make the case backs transparent, because I think brands invest a lot of time and knowledge to integrate so so that they look as good as possible. those who don't appreciate, stick to solid cases. after all, you have the right to choose. what would bother me is if the price of a display caseback would really be prohibitively high compared to a solid case. But if the price difference is not too much, I really don't see any problem in this type of watches

Myryopod

after a few watches with an open caseback, the ones with solid ones already seem strange to me... it seems to me that if I see the inner mechanism, I feel safer with my watch... I know it's not exactly a relevant reason, but that's what i feel. and I think that out of 2 options, I will always opt for the watch with a transparent caseback

DBP

I don't draw attention to the caseback of the watches at all. if it's solid, good, if it's open, good. I find neither aesthetic nor functional value in them. if there is any price difference between 2 identical models with different casebacks, then I will opt for the one that is more advantageous. I appreciate the effort of brands to create beautiful movements, good for them, but for me, it really doesn't play any role πŸ™†β€β™‚οΈπŸ™†β€β™‚οΈ

Ocean BLUE

I have nothing against the caseback type itself. what matters is their execution itself. if the caseback is done wrong, then of course I would opt for an open one.
For example, I don't like the flat case-backs of Sea-Dweller or DeepSea watches. There is nothing beautiful o them and no creativity in them. Looks very cheap. And it's not the case to remind me that my Rolex watches are reps. I bought Swiss copies which are identical to the gens, including the caseback. `so, both, the reps and the gens' casebacks looks horrible. I wish that Rolex would get inspiration from Longines, with its beautiful Legend caseback, great engravings and alluring design.

If a brand opts for an open one, it should think of the beauty of the movement inside. It should be attractive. The Seagull 1963 new watch is a good example of this. So, it doesn't matter what kind of caseback you choose as a brand, the important thing is to look creative, attractive and in the spirit of the brand

Racrought

in my opinion, it is all about how you want to go with it.
this thing was actually created in order to create something specific. there are two primary reasons.
1. the first one is well-implemented and easy to add money for the brand or the manufacturer.
2. the style provided for those that actually love to see an open case-back.
Yep, if you look at the watch you can only see the thing that makes it move. let's say it in a really raw way:D
it doesn't have something different or something to add or to offer. it actually just makes you see how the watch properly works.

if you talk about prices related to genuine watches, well yes, this is a thing that can make brands make more money. can't say for sure what is the link between them but there is a good initiative to make more money.
for us customers, this is not such a good idea.. of course, we don't want to spend money on something like this. even so, if you really love such styles you are totally going to spend some extra money to have this esthetic feature here.
personally, i think they look great. the open case usually offers some additional life to the watch. every time it seems like it is alive and you can see it easily with your own eyes. I can't say that I'm addicted to it, or that I particularly wanted to have all my watches with open cases, but I like ti for sure.

For me, it is really important to combine it with all the other designs and details that the watch has. I think that some open-case watches don't look that good. All the details matter. So, if you choose a watch that is an open case and you know that you pay more money for it, just make sure that you like all the details about the watch.

Suchispost

Gonna make a little bit of splash here:D
maybe as usual.. well take a different look at this. I got this idea from a friend who is obsessed with watches and was always totally into knowing everything about watches.
I remember one day we were sitting and talking about different watches.
i dont remember how specifically we got to talk about the open cases and all the things related to seeing the working mechanisms but I remembered what he told me that day.
I was asking quite the same questions, I was at the beginning of my path and I wanted to know everything about this.

Basically, he told me that the idea is to know what kind of watch and how to match it.
Not all the style of watches with open cases are going to match your style. Even tho you may think that an open case or a skeleton version may seem to be a good idea for a sporty style the reality is a little bit different actually.
In fact, i was the one that thought the same way...
Surprisingly, the best way is to totally go with classic styles and business styles. This is the best way to just match them.

That friend of mine use to tell the exact same phrase all the time. Open cases and skeleton watches are actually a symbol of luxury, money, and power. Same as luxury, money and power you have to be responsible about using them.
When it is too much it can harm you. I don't know why but I just remembered it well.
Hope it can help somebody!;)

Moderatto

I like transparent case backs. I don't know exactly what their meaning is from the perspective of the brand, but for me, they mean that the brand is open to honestly show what it includes in its watches.... besides, it's really fascinating to watch these mechanisms working inside, it something satisfying

HorsePower

gradually, all watches will be made with transparent case back... this is the trend and this is the evolution of watches... get used to the idea

Simposium5338

open is for when the brands have something to show through them. regardless of whether the end customer understands or not in terms of movements. but that doesn't matter. what matters is that the brand wants to share what it has done beautifully and qualitatively and decoratively. why not show it? if it invested time and effort and creativity to transform the rigid mechanisms into aesthetical masterpieces of art?! I don't understand those who illustrate unaesthetic mechanisms. my reproach is big for them.... as for the end user, if u like it- u watch it, if u don't like it- u ignore it... it's up to u

dancerINTHEdark

I embrace the concept itself, but I think that not all watches must have transparent casebacks. I don't understand how some brands attach open cases, seeing that they only spoil the whole design of the concept and compromise it.

I don't see any sense in the transparent casing for the 104 sinn. What did the manufacturer have in mind by displaying it??? surely, the company's designers have no idea what a decorated and artistic movement means, that didthey left it open....

Don;t gemme worng, I embrace the sellita sw200, I know it works well and performs like a workhorse.... but hey, there's not much to see aesthetically in it, and in addition, it is too small in the 104 case, not even it doesn't have enough space to show the mediocre details.....this mecsnism is not to be contemplated. it is made to provide exceptional functionslity... and it does, but it should not be displayed openly. I like `sinn 104 in terms of performance, and the exterior design is nice. but not the open caseback, it definitely should have had a solid one

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 13.32.18-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 13.32.18-min.png
    556.3 KB · Views: 0

StatusQUO

I think that the decision of solid or open caseback must be made exclusively by the brand. and for the decision to be as correct as possible, the brand should do a deep research of its audience. this is usually handled by the marketing department, which must know by heart who the client is, what his income is, what aesthetic preferences he has and so on. so, a buyer persona profile.
Taking into account that people with status and horological culture see an imposing beauty and value in open casebacks, the brand must offer them this aesthetic delight. These people are already no longer impressed by dials and finishes, because they have seen everything in terms of horology.

But if the brand knows its customer and knows that a better WR profile is more important to him than an open caseback, I see absolutely no sense in integrating it, and in addition, increasing the watch price for an unsolicited and unwanted function.
Personally, I'm at the stage where I'm still in love with dials and finishes. Open caseback leaves me indifferent and does not influence the purchase decision at all. Whether it is or not, it doesn't affect me at all. I draw attention to other details πŸ€“

Maric

the caseback of a watch does not play a significant role for me. after all, I don't even see it. though, I have to admit that it's nice to see how the internal components work in unison. so, if the watch has such a caseback, great. if not- great, too. For now, I'm more focused on the dial and the functionality of the watch, especially if it's a replica

HahREF5583468

For me, a decorated solid eclosing please!!!!! I can't explain the reason, but this type of caseback attracts me more. What I know for sure is that the transparent caseback is nothing more than another impact-sensitive surface that is likely to break into pieces if I'm not careful. The risk is minimal with a solid case. And if I repair the watch, I only repair the dial crystal, not the back part. And I don't see that much beauty in the mechanism, I think people overestimate it. after all, the mechanism is not even visible. How many of you look at the open movement from those who have such watches? You will look once, twice, three times... until you get bored and don't even pay attention to this detail anymore... why pay for it then? I don't see much sense...but, it may be a subjective opinion though, but that's what I think.....

Drinky

subjective question... but I will answer exclusively from the angle of personal opinion..... the open one does not comfort me at all. I don't see it, it doesn't offer me any additional functionality, and I don't even have time to sit and stare at it to see the "beauty from within". all that captures me in watches is their face, their functionality and .... the compliments I get for it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (the modesty in me speaks) 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

for the rest, it is just a surface sensitive to impacts, as someone pointed out here
@HahREF5583468 you characterized this aspect very well πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

seriously, I don't see the point in paying a few hundred or even thousands for an element that is invisible to me... here you have a pic with an open caseback watch.... what is different form a solid one?! 😁😁😁

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 15.54.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 15.54.58.png
    474 KB · Views: 0

Encantadore59935

imho, not all watches must have open casebacks, that's just what modern trends call for. manufacturers must know what should be displayed and what does not make any sense to expose through an open caseback. with that said, I see open casebacks as acceptable in dress watches, of high horology, where the mechanisms are downright complex. if high horology timepieces are so expensive and intricate, why shouldn't the public see what this "intricacy" means through their caseback?

but the mediocre watches... c'mooon, do they really need that sapphire caseback to look at WHAT?!! it's better to have a solid caseback to at least provide great water resistance... for example, a deepSea, I don't think it has a very nice internal mechanism in the context in which this watch has to serve well under water... so , every watch has its purpose and if this is not exactly an aesthetic purpose, the caseback must remain closed

BenStone

I accept open casebacks but not for all watches. I think that manufacturers should not integrate open back just for the sake of the trend in the industry. the style of the watch is very important

I don't support open backs in sports watches, for example. I don't understand their meaning and being a sporty, it must have impressive functionality and not an open caseback. therefore, its priority must be impeccable functioning providing great accuracy in all functions. so the transparent caseback doesn't make much sense...

though, I prefer them in manual wind pieces. here, it's already more about aesthetics and displaying the aesthetics of the inside movement makes sense in context. and in addition, it is unlikely to expose a manual dress watch to damage or impact, which ensures the durability and resistance over time of open backs. but with a sporty, it's enough to take it to the gym once and I'm precisely left without a caseback

MANY OF THE NOMOS ACCESSORIES have a transparent back, and I appreciate the approach. the aesthetic of the dial is minimalist and clean, so the open back compensates for the minimalism and adds some complexity and horological essence. it seems to me that the open case adds class and sophistication. for a watch with a sporty vibe, class is not necessary at all
I hope I was clear enough πŸ˜‚

Michelangelo

I have no special preferences on this topic. both will do. the important thing is that the movement inside should really be beautiful to look at. but the caseback is never a priority for me. like many here, I buy my watch based on functionality, quality, and aesthetics. if it has a transparent caseback-well, that's it. if not - that's it too