sub-dials real function

hello, community
wanted to ask about watches with sub-dials. I own 2 pieces with sub-dials that I bought because of their look-looking design. but don't use their functions at all. So, I wonder how many people are like me or maybe you buy watches exclusively for the functions you do use. maybe it's time to reset them rather than keep them unfunctional. To make myself clear, please do not criticize though; I know many watch lovers don't quite understand why people buy watches with functions they don't use. for me, mine look great and I really got stuck with their design. just wanted to know if there are watch enthusiasts that do the same...And also, what functions do you embrace in your pieces? Date function, second hand…
Currently owning:
1. Hoffman Racing 40 Mechanical
2. Citizen Thin Blue Line Chronograph Eco-Drive

CoVriGoooU

As far as I know, a rep with self-winding mechanisms and sub-dials respectively don’t feature the same functions as the gens do. Many reps come with the sub-dials only for aesthetic purposes, without functioning at all. Others might have different functions than the real watch. Take for example the Daytona rep. even though it doesn’t come with the timing functions as the gen, it still has a date-operating function (unless we are not talking about cheap reps with fixed subs). To have all functions included in sub-dials, better to opt for a quartz replica Chrono. My mechanical Chrono doesn’t have a functional stopwatch feature; it’s included only for ”beauty” purposes. But I don’t mind a lot because I don’t need it to be functional. I would never need it, even if it worked. So, to answer your question, I need my watch to provide functionality on the functions I need. For the rest of them, if they are not necessary for me, I don’t mind that they are included. If the watch has functions that are not necessary to me, it doesn’t stop me from having it. I’m the one that appreciates good-looking pieces.

platoonshrek

As far as I know, a rep with self-winding mechanisms and sub-dials respectively don’t feature the same functions as the gens do. Many reps come with the sub-dials only for aesthetic purposes, without functioning at all. Others might have different functions than the real watch. Take for example the Daytona rep. even though it doesn’t come with the timing functions as the gen, it still has a date-operating function (unless we are not talking about cheap reps with fixed subs). To have all functions included in sub-dials, better to opt for a quartz replica Chrono. My mechanical Chrono doesn’t have a functional stopwatch feature; it’s included only for ”beauty” purposes. But I don’t mind a lot because I don’t need it to be functional. I would never need it, even if it worked. So, to answer your question, I need my watch to provide functionality on the functions I need. For the rest of them, if they are not necessary for me, I don’t mind that they are included. If the watch has functions that are not necessary to me, it doesn’t stop me from having it. I’m the one that appreciates good-looking pieces.
Don’t completely agree here… maybe in the past, yes. But, currently, plenty of reps with complications come with the same functionality as the gens. Frozen sub-dials are specific for under 150$ mainly. But, a medium-priced rep imitates the functionality of the gen. True that more rep complication, more issues might appear.

I like a lot the GMT dust time function. And I’d prefer having a functional Chrono instead of frozen, even with that I don’t use it frequently. Maybe a couple of times per year. So, it’s not a problem for me to have watches with functionalities I almost never use. And don’t have issues with people who own watches just foe their beauty rather than functionality

whySOniCE456

Totally agree that most watches currently follow the same functionality as gens. Currently owning a PAM 192 and similar to its gen model, all its sundials are working just fine. Actually not use functions frequently, but I occasionally have fun with them. I might use it when I cook, for example, or when I need to track the time for an activity. I like to know they are functioning, even if they are not the number one utility in my watch. I think many people don’t actually use their functions much. At least, would use them for the first period for fun, and after that, forget about their existence:D

I mostly love perpetual calendars in watches. They have something alluring in them. I don’t own one yet, but I think my next watch will be a Breguet featuring this complication.
looooove it.... 🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 08.57.34-min.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 08.57.34-min.png
    487 KB · Views: 0

staYingPosiTIve!!!

I like functional Chronos. I like to play with them, though I don’t really use them on regular basis. From my own experience, I find the day and night sub-dials useless for me… not only do I never use them, but these also appoint incorrectly, somewhere in between, especially on rep watches. This confuses me a lot and I just skip that function

J9$!Dw23

Can’t stand reps that don’t function the way that gens do. Such reps are useful for kids as toys indeed. Also, don’t really understand people buying reps that don’t have functional chronographs or other functions. What’s the point? Just showing off?!

I think one should buy a watch, rep or gen-doesn’t matter, to meet his demands and necessities.

Personally, I love the stopwatch function. I usually work based on the Pomodoro system and it helps me time my working periods without losing focus. Great function for the purpose

JL$4k029

" I own 2 pieces with sub-dials that I bought because of their look-looking design. but don't use their functions at all."-
what about beginning using these functions?!!
given the you already have them, maybe it's time to use them....
personally, wouldn't buy a watch with functions I dont need. it's like having a G-shock with plenty of functions and using only time indicator. what's wrong with u?

peGASus4338#!

I dislike sundials at all. I find them useless in most watches and I bet people dont use them frequently, to. to say At All. The more minimalist and clean the watch, the better

DanielDJZI

Can’t stand reps that don’t function the way that gens do. Such reps are useful for kids as toys indeed. Also, don’t really understand people buying reps that don’t have functional chronographs or other functions. What’s the point? Just showing off?!

I think one should buy a watch, rep or gen-doesn’t matter, to meet his demands and necessities.

Personally, I love the stopwatch function. I usually work based on the Pomodoro system and it helps me time my working periods without losing focus. Great function for the purpose
agree on that... would never have a rep with functions that dont actually function. Doesn't matter how frequently (or not) I might use the function, but it must work. Otherwise, what do I pay for? For a nice-looking case?!
it's natural to not use all functions of a watch, and don't have biting ain't people being watches with functions they dont use. After all, most of us don't use about 50% of our smartphone functions, but we still buy it. So, not a big deal. But, the functions of a rep must be always functional...sorry for the tautology

WorldWideWisdom

so, hypothetically, if I love a perpetual calendar watch, but I never use it, does it mean that I shouldn't have it? absolutely not. No one has to care why I buy one or another watch. I buy what I like and what I can afford. Many people hate skeleton watches, but it doesn't mean that should not have one to please others. So, enjoy your watch no matter how u use its functions

I like date functions..... I need it, as I always lose the sense of time
I always thought a GPS watch would help me a lot. I got one, and I understood how wrong I was. It wasn’t comfortable for me to use the GPS during driving, so I never use this function on my smartwatch anymore. In digitals, I like the calorie counter function.

In traditional watches, I also embrace the GMT function. Especially those that automatically set the time of the country once you select the city. Great and fun. Altimeters, stopwatches, compass function, barometer function- see no special need for them

Last edited:

staYingPosiTIve!!!

why do most of you here talk about reps and their functional or dysfunctional features? the author clearly stated that he has 2 gen watches and some functions he doesn't use...

dear @neverHAVEIever, wear what you please... people have no idea about how seldom you use your functions. If you like the design, great for you and enjoy it. After all, watches are meant to be contemplated and loved, no matter the functions it has...

From all functions, I mostly love the perpetual calendar+ and the moon cycle indicator. Can’t say this function is relevant to my daily existence of course, but I just admire the complexity of this function and I wonder how was it possible to create and integrate it into such a small case. So there’s a bit of philosophy in this feature

UltrARiott

I do like sub-dials. Especially if the watch brand knows how to integrate them correctly into the dial. If design things are made correctly, the sub-dials look smooth and don't impair watch face readability. For me it's important they are functional, even if I don't use them much. If these are frozen, they seem like decorations to me. and also, I dont understand replica factories that produce those frozen sub-dials. I mean, why do they do that? Is it because of a lack of mechanisms? Then why produce replicas in general?

To answer your question @neverHAVEIever, I'm indifferent whether you use them or not :D wear the watch as you like!

WatchOveR

I like watches that dont have many functions. I opt for as minimalist as possible. Hour and date function is pretty enough for me. I used Mohave watches with many functions. I bought them to test. I was using their functions only for a couple of weeks just for fun. later, I was getting bored ad I realised they aren't for me. at least, I dont use functions on a regular basis and im not dependent on them. so, I. either use many functions, or buy them anymore

vAshayaStar

I hate reps with frozen functions. I better opt for a time-only watch rather than to have a complicated one, with unfunctional features... and don't really understand people buying such watches. why do you do this? to sow off? there is no logic

CapOOchino

absolutely indifferent to people with functional or unfunctional watches. it's none of my bussiness why and how these their watches. what matters is my watch to work fully, for the rest, do whatever u want

dailydose

didn't really understand the point of you question honestly. you're talking about frozen functions, but have 2 gens... or I've missed smth...
either way, if it's about frozen functions, the first I have to say is that hate frozen functions in reps. why factories do even make them, if they aren't able to reproduce the functional purpose?!👀👀👀
second, why to have a watch with frozen functions? to boast around? can't understand that neither...
u get a watch because you need its functions. if u dont use them, why u buy them? just get the watch that matches your necessities. there are so many watches with different designs. you dont necessarily need to get the one with functions u dont use
third, in. my opinion, very few factories produce now watches with frozen functions. except for the power reserve indicator, I think all are already functional. if not, then it's a crap of factory

Eugene

I don't use all the functions of the watches I buy either... I keep my watches busy, be they reps or gens. they seem complex, attractive, and compelling; time-only watches are too formal for me, and i get bored quickly b y thyem... but, the point is that I want all functions to be fully functional... I pay for the watch, why should it have unfunctional functions? is that even fair to customers to sell watches whose function is only aesthetic and not functional?!

so, no m'aam, i want to get what i pay for: a watch with fully-working functions. if i use them or not- it's my own business, but these must be fully working

BusyAsHell

dude you're not alone... you really think that those who buy aviator watches like breitling, for exmole, REALLY USE ALL their functions?! 😁😁😁 watches are to delight the eye with their aesthetic and functional splendor. the more functions the watch has, the more sophisticated it is. you can enjoy such a watch even if you don't use these functions. it's OK. Just enjoy your time-telling beauty with no remorse