timepiece or statement piece?

sEVENDEM

lemme break the ice in this thread :D
honestly, a couple of years ago, I was looking at watches just like simple time-indicating accessories. Lately, I already look at them differently. While the main purpose of time-indicating is relevant, I also look for "statement" charisma in every new watch. I think I couldn't buy a watch now, if it hadn't something special in it appointing on my taste

Nobbing

definitely statement piece) even if the watch is not the most luxurious possible and doesn't cost a fortune, i always look for something special in its design and style to emphasize my taste. I think many watch enthusiasts share the same position…if people worn watches only for their time indicating purpose only, they could easily look at their smartphones without wearing a watch in general)

igivente

In the modern era, I think these two purposes complete each other. While the main purpose is the time-indicating function, no watch enthusiast ever buys a watch that doesn’t look attractive and appealing, be it a sports watch or a dress one. Everyone is looking for something special in his timepiece, be it the minimalist elegance, or the robustness of the GMT function. So, these can’t be separated from each other

TropiKanCHO

time-indicating piece for me. As a statement accessory, I opt for belts, bags and other details. I prefer not mixing things up and a watch should remain a watch. otherwise it loses its main purpose, becoming everything u like, except a watch

BLburNett

let's face it and admit that any person wearing an appealing watch looks gorgeous and drags attention on himself. time-indicating purpose was the only purpose some decades ago. but, with the evolution of horology, it's stupid to run around in circles and remain where we were some decades ago. if the technology already allows, why not integrate phenomenal functions and additional features into a watch?!
so, yes, for me it's a statement piece. for the hour, I can simply look at my smartphone

VioletteLonGoRIA

Oooohhh, a watch is always a statement piece)) its main purpose is to express the owner’s personality. wearing a usual watch for the time-indicating purpose only equals not wearing it at all. Even the most usual outfit looks stylish and attractive when wearing a statement watch. So, statement, statement, statement!!!

randomWATCHlover

I combine both of them… owning a couple of statement watches and a couple of simple daily pieces… it pisses me off when I see people going to the market and wearing statement pieces as if they were Watch Gods. Wearing shorts and flip-flops along with a statement watch looks cringe and nothing stylish… so for daily use, I wear simple time-indicating watches while for a statement look I put my statement reps…

Btw, owning a Master Memovox rep and a Bell and Ross Vintage 126 BR126-94 Automatic rep

cheetomargheritto

Can’t imagine myself looking for a simple time-indicating accessory… unconsciously, I look for something attractive in every watch I buy for myself… be it a special dial, or an interesting Chrono, always looking for more than just a watch without even wanting it)) so, probably, it is more like a statement piece rather than a time-indicating accessory

LIgHtere

practicability first. I need a watch to show time, track speed, alarm, show date... all those fancy beauties and stuff mean nothing to me... a statement piece shows the same time as a regular watch

PeperoNNi

It’s always a statement piece… it’s only that every owner perceives “statement” differently. For some people, a statement piece is all about minimalism and exquisiteness. Others view “statement” as a loud watch with millions of complications and screaming design. No person will ever buy a watch being absolutely indifferent to its design. Everyone seeks something special in the aesthetic of his timepiece and would like others to appreciate his choice

salmeari

actually it's more like a fusion between the both... the primary function is the time-indicating purpose of course. otherwise, we wouldn't need a watch :D. but if it has a special design or a history behind, it's like more valuable for us and we all embrace attention from other people when these appreciate our taste/ soo, i'm in between the both, with predominant inclination to statement

fishwoddy12

time-indicating piece predominantly. when I need a watch for my sports activity, dont really care about how "statement" it is. what matters for me is that the watch meets my necesitities and demands. if it secondarily looks great, im only glad of it :D, but the "statement" is not my number 1 priority. I need it to meet my demands.

diaboliquerye

if a person wears its wrath, no matter what watch, with style and confidence, I see it as a statement piece. it doesn't really how bold or minimalist the watch is, it looks as a statement piece whenever the wearer knows how to couple it well with his style and outfit. so, the watch is as component part of a whole picture

STERYBOL

why do people mess things up?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
why cant a watch be .....A WATCH?!!!! and not statement, beauty, decorative and all sh*t like that....
these accesories are to show time.... if y wasn't a statement accessory, why dont u just attach a gold ingot around the wrist and it's all set....