timepiece or statement piece?

BusyAsHell

in most cases, statement piece... of course the primary function of a watch is to tell the time... but I want it to tell me the time in the most graceful way possible πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ so, I opt for eye-catching models that to delight my eyes every time I look at the clock

DomPerignon

my vote goes for statement piece and here is why

when watches appeared, they were primarily utilitarian accessories to read time. Today, you can read the time on the phone, on the wall clocks, on board the car, anywhere... as such, I can't say that the watch is a critical and indispensable tool to read the time. As such, they have gradually turned into statement pieces for everyone, even if many do not accept this.

why do people have a hard time choosing a watch? If there was a need for the utilitarian function of reading the time, people would choose any watch in a second, as any watch would indicate the time. But people can spend hours on end choosing a watch, precisely because they want it to stand out and attract attention through their statement design

igivente

my vote goes for statement piece and here is why

when watches appeared, they were primarily utilitarian accessories to read time. Today, you can read the time on the phone, on the wall clocks, on board the car, anywhere... as such, I can't say that the watch is a critical and indispensable tool to read the time. As such, they have gradually turned into statement pieces for everyone, even if many do not accept this.

why do people have a hard time choosing a watch? If there was a need for the utilitarian function of reading the time, people would choose any watch in a second, as any watch would indicate the time. But people can spend hours on end choosing a watch, precisely because they want it to stand out and attract attention through their statement design
it couldn't be said better than that... absolutely agree... even if not everyone recognizes it, everyone takes a watch to show themselves. Obviously, we don't wave our wrists to the left and right so that everyone can see the watch we're wearing, but at least, we certainly want it to generate applause and appreciation... it can even be about a minimalist watch, it doesn't have to be a watch full of precious stones... either way, we are always looking to assert ourselves through this accessory, which means that it is definitely a statement piece... otherwise we can also read the time on a smartphone

StevenOhio

@CasPer$$hunteR
would you be ready to wear any watch? by "any watch" i mean any accessory that shows the time regardless of its condition or its style, or its ugly design. probably not. This means that watches are statement pieces today, because we are always looking to match them with our style, so that they are an extension of our personality. We want an accessory that represents us, and not just to show our time

STATEMENT PIECE!!!!!- my vote

MiracuLuis

there are few left who look at watches as timepieces. like it or not, these have become statement pieces. some are more modest, others more flamboyant. but anyway, they are all more or less statement pieces. otherwise, tell me please: what are those watches-accessories that have the shape of a ring that you can wear either on your finger or on your toe?! 🀒🀒🀒🀒 these are definitely not timepieces to tell time... I'm just imagining how to read the time on your toe πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜

Albert

I think it is wrong to claim that ALL watches are statement pieces or ALL are utilitarian. I have accessories of both types and wear them accordingly. if I go to work, I don't have much reason to brag about my statement piece because I'm a mechanic and I don't need additional oil on my watch πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ so, both are valid and all watch lovers choose their accessories after own preferences, various occasions and lifestyle

CityBreak

I don't know if my answer changes anything, but for me, watches remain first and foremost, timepieces. the usefulness and complexity of the mechanism is at the forefront for me. if these aspects pass the test, the rest like aesthetics and decorative detailing is just a nice adding. I never choose a watch exclusively for its aesthetics. no matter how fancy and "statement" it looks, I will never buy it if it doesn't solve my needs as a watch and the functions I want it to have...

as for those who choose the watch based on its "statement" status, I think you don't understand what a watch genuinely means in essence. sorry, no offense, but horology is about mechanism and refinement, not about how many looks a watch can turn on the wrist