Useless/Useful complications

Cincinnati

I find useless the functions that are added only to say that the watchmaker did add something....
I hate the no-logic and nonsense functions...
I remember how I wanted to get a watch that was advertised as the thinnest one . I went to the boutique to see it only to be disappointed by how thick it actually was.
but that's not what captured me the most. I was caught by the fact that the watch had a tachymetric scale, without even having a second hand, and without even being a chronograph.
a silly function just to justify the price
how many of these are there)))) nevertheless, such watches catch the public who has no idea about watches. there are people who, if they hear the word "tachimeter", think that the watch automatically becomes a horological treasure))))

I can't blame the people here, but I do have to reproach to such manufacturers.. why the hell would they release such a trash?

dancerINTHEdark

As much as I like how it looks, but I have to admit that the tourbillon function is not that necessary, as it costs in a watch... and I mean, tourbillon watches are usually very expensive, but they do not provide as much functionality as to justify the price for them....

initially when this complication appeared, it had a well-defined and welcome purpose for watches. This was specifically designed for the specifics of pocket watches.
As a rule, there is a famous technique for testing fine watches. ``the technique is old, but it's good: the watches are tested in 5 positions to identify the degree of precision error. Actually, the degree of accuracy depends on the gravity that falls on the pieces in these positions. we are talking about the positions at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. and the others refer to the position where the watch lies face up or down.

coming back to pocketwatches, they don't really change their position as they are always in your pocket. Add to this that the position in which it rests is an inaccurate one, and the watch is 100% inaccurate in its precision, consequently

So, BREGUET created the tourbillon specifically to solve this problem. The functional purpose was to rotate within the timepiece to avoid the lack of movement.
with wristwatches, the tourbillon concept is simply useless, because the wrist moves by itself throughout the day, acting as a natural and default tourbillon... the function has no purpose. and it's not even worth the money of tens of thousands.... I mean, I understand its horological value... tradition, horological innovation, stuff like that... but to answer your question, I really don't see the point it it as a function.. .

StatusQUO

MINUTE REPEATER/ MECHANICAL ALARM!!!!!!! I NEVER MET A SINGLE MAN WHO USED THEM.......
WHERE R U?????🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐 IS THER ANY USING THEM?????? 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

and then why the hell does it cost so much?

BusyAsHell

I find useless the functions that are added only to say that the watchmaker did add something....
I hate the no-logic and nonsense functions...
I remember how I wanted to get a watch that was advertised as the thinnest one . I went to the boutique to see it only to be disappointed by how thick it actually was.
but that's not what captured me the most. I was caught by the fact that the watch had a tachymetric scale, without even having a second hand, and without even being a chronograph.
a silly function just to justify the price
oh, there are so many models like this)))) well, these usually refer to lower-end manufacturers) a big player would never create something like this)

Michelangelo

I don't remember the exact models now, but there are watches that have lumed hands. and that's really great, except that they don't have lime in hour markers... and I wonder: what were the designers thinking when they opted for this ridiculous approapch? how are wearers supposed to read the time in a watch where only the hands light up??!! :cautious::cautious:

Perpetual

I don't remember the exact models now, but there are watches that have lumed hands. and that's really great, except that they don't have lime in hour markers... and I wonder: what were the designers thinking when they opted for this ridiculous approapch? how are wearers supposed to read the time in a watch where only the hands light up??!! :cautious::cautious:
what 'bout thermometer in watches? I was like wtf when first saw them... how the hell would they integrate thermometers in wristwatches? 😂😂😂

Ethan

I'm not a fan of watches with many functions. as a rule, I buy watches that exactly matches my needs so I use them all. these usually include date, month, and maybe dual zones, which I use occasionally. smh like that.... I don't judge those who buy busy watches with more complex functions, maybe they need them, idk.... but I've always been curious to know how useful functions like jumping second hand or a power reserve on are. an auto.... doesnt sound very useful imho))))))

TesaLLiuM8565

no, I don't use all of them... I buy busy watches because I like their complexity and I get bored of clean dials. on the whole, I don't use the auto watch for anything other than reading time. for the other tasks, I use the digital watch or mobile apps. so, I have no need for complex functions in the watch. but that doesn't mean I can't admire them, right? I like to analyze them, after all, each function speaks about the skills of the manufacturer... there is a whole science behind any function in the watch... so, why not enjoy it, even if I don't use it? !