vintage/preowned/new/replica?

tOOkano$$$

hello guys,
take the scenario that you have a budget of about $1000, tell me please what kind of watch would you buy? I love watches but can hardly tell which category I love most. all of them seem attractive to me. if I think of a new one, I'm afraid this budget will not be enough for the watch I want, as it is far more expensive. if a get a preowned, I might enter the budget limits, but I'm afraid of the previous owner as I don't know how he treated it. if I think of vintage, I love them but I don't know how to find a good one and how to evaluate it, as I'm not a pro in this matter. And, last, replicas seem also attractive to me, but what if I spend the 1K on a trash watch? I don't want to lose money on trash, and I'm confused with this big question.

What do you think? what watch would be the best investment in the limit of 1k$? thanks in advance

KaraTisH

1k is not too much for a watch, and not too little. I understand the mess in your head but I think you need to clarify things first.
Begin with determining the condition of your next watch. Do you admit it to have not the freshest condition ever? If not, then the selection narrows to only new and replica models. After that, determine your brands. Make a list of brands you love/like/embrace etc. further on, break the list into models. Try to figure out the model you like the most. Every brand has price ranges from affordable to cosmic. Maybe the model you want is not as expensive as you think.

If you’re done with the model, compare the prices and everything will get clear for u. If the gen is too high-priced, go for reps. Now, that you got to the final decision that it should be a rep, solve the threats associated with reps. For example, the major threat is coming across a scam dealer. So make your research and find a trusted one. And so on. You should solve the “puzzle” gradually and step by step

All 4 versions are good options. But it depends on the model, condition, brand etc…

Great for u that u have the cash )))) all the rest is easier to solve)) it’s much more challenging to solve the puzzle when you have no money :D

concientE

is it your new watch ever? if not, share some info about what watches u have... if all are new, then opt for a vintage, if all are from unknown brands, than opt for a new high brand one.
What im trying to say is that if you have other watches, than just add the new one that is lacking from it. if it is your first watch, I wouldn't recommend it to be a vintage or a preowned. the first watch has to be brand new, so a new gen or imitation are the final options. at least, that's what I would do, if I were u.

vintages and preowned should be bought the u are mature enough in watch industry and field. a newbie will never make a difference between a valuable vintage and a piece of shit (sorry), so don't dive where u dont know how to swim.
for 1K you can get a great rep, solid and reliable. full construction: 904 stainless steel, all features-functional, sapphire crystal, warranty- everything as is should be. don't stress about quality. TDs can offer it to u even at a lesser price

CringeUser

is it your new watch ever? if not, share some info about what watches u have... if all are new, then opt for a vintage, if all are from unknown brands, than opt for a new high brand one.
What im trying to say is that if you have other watches, than just add the new one that is lacking from it. if it is your first watch, I wouldn't recommend it to be a vintage or a preowned. the first watch has to be brand new, so a new gen or imitation are the final options. at least, that's what I would do, if I were u.

vintages and preowned should be bought the u are mature enough in watch industry and field. a newbie will never make a difference between a valuable vintage and a piece of shit (sorry), so don't dive where u dont know how to swim.
for 1K you can get a great rep, solid and reliable. full construction: 904 stainless steel, all features-functional, sapphire crystal, warranty- everything as is should be. don't stress about quality. TDs can offer it to u even at a lesser price

"dont stress about quality"???????!!!!!!! r u serious? it's 1k dollars dude, not 10...
when u intend to spend this much for a watch, I WOULD stress about quality, and a lot...
my choice would go for a preowned option. mainly because, im afraid that replica dealers can fool me and sell a high-quality rep, which is not necessarily worth 1K (for 6oo $, it's pretty ok to have a high quality rep). for the vintages, im not prepared to spend that sum. I think its too much for a vintage. I mean I know these are valuable, but no... and since a new one is too expensive, the only choice would be the preowned.
also, dont forget that depending on the new model you want, it can take years until u get one, if it is a Rolex, for example. so preowned is more attainable..

in all scenarios, it will take time to find a proper dealer, be it a rep, or a new gen, or a vintage, or a preowned one. the issue is common for all categories, it's inevitable. therefore, considering the shortcomings of all, the preowned is the most stressless

WorldWideWisdom

my vote goes for the new and the replica options. vintage have had god knows how many owners. preowned might have undergone service previously and u never know its true condition. there is high chance u get one, and within a couple of weeks, maybe months, you'll need to serve it again and with preowned watches, there is always need to service them. this does not happen with new. they are on warranty and you dont need to stress much about them.

you know for sure that a new one is 100% resistance, accurate, and precise. u know all materials didn't under stress and shocks. so you're feel confident with it on. the best idea is to have a genuine one, in general. but if the price isn't ok for u, than a rep from TDs is a good alternative. buy from those who offer u warranty and return (just in case)

peGASus4338#!

if I had that money, I'd go for a vintage model, without any doubt. all my watches are no more than around 500$ and no iconic brands are seen in my collection. only medium brands. but with that money, I'd like a vintage iconic rand like Rolex, or Patek Philippe, or Audemars Piguet. even though they don't look fresh, they have a completely different value. their value is in their craftsmanship. such watches cave components and details that are no longer available in the modern world. and this is much more valuable than any new gen or rep. vintage is vintage and it will ever be out of style and value.

also, a lot depends on the purpose.. why do u want this watch for? re-sell? keep it in the collection? offer as gift? the reason can change the whole vector sometimes.
either way, vintage is priceless. if I could, I would buy plenty of them. no modern feature can attract me the way the vintage timepieces do, this is why they are so valued across watch collectors.

vAshayaStar

maybe it would be better for you @tOOkano$$$ to reveal the model you want to buy. would be easier for all of us to talk about a specific model than just guessing about different price ranges...
imho, a new genuine watch is the best option here (if the price is reasonable). why buy a fake, if you can afford a new one? After all, all of us buying reps in fact, aim at their genuine versions.

preowned are kinda risky for me. God knows who owned it, and how he took care of it. I know there is expertise and history stuff available to prove its condition, but still, don't trust. vintage watches are specific. you can't wear a vintage watch on a daily basis. it's more for certain type of outfit, so buy a 1k vintage watch ad keep it in the wardrobe for a special occasions, sounds stupid.

reps are for when you dont have money. but you have it

thiN1k1ngTWICe

Honestly, from all 4 versions, I see the preowned option as the most ok for me. As other members here said, I think buying a precious vintage is a pretty complicated experience.

Doesn’t make sense to buy a new watch, if you find a decent pre owned watch. Some pre-owned pieces are in very good shape, looking like new, and you can get a pretty nice price, saving a couple of hundred bucks. Pre-owned cars do look different but to watches. The only important aspect here is to find a trusted authorized dealer.

There are some reputable houses doing great business in the Feld. If you are concerned with warranty, some of such TDs can even offer their own warranty card. For Rolex pieces, I know they can offer around $200 as a warranty.
For the rest, you don't have much to worry about, you don’t need to overpay for the new one, given that the only difference you will get is a couple of stickers that you will soon remove after you buy the watch. With preowned you get the same as with a new one, only at a more affordable price

chunkeymonkey

I don’t know why you demotivate so much about vintage watches. Wearing a vintage piece makes you exclusive. Believe me that no other jerk in the office will have the same watch as you. With new watches and rep imitations, half of your office has them and you look like another cow in the whole herd.

All of the 4 categories need particular research. Do you suggest that good vintages are harder to find than good reps?! Not at all. You just need to find an expert in the field. Withers, there is no expert telling you which rep is better or not. You just have to take it at your own risk.

With vintages, its’ much easier to test their veracity and history. You can only use the serial number to find out its age. A good expert will make sure that the movement number coincides with the case number. Otherwise, you might be dealing with a Frankenwatch. So, all you need is good guidance.
I’d opt for vintages. There is no better watch than the lex GMT Master designed for Pan Am airlines, or the Heuer Autavia vintage. No new watch can beat those

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 14.25.57-min.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 14.25.57-min.png
    381 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 14.25.39-min.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 14.25.39-min.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 0

EasyPeasY57299

Idk, I’m not sure that for 1k, you can buy a serious new luxury watch. It all depends on what model and what brand you want. But, you could buy a spectacular rep for that money, and you can get whatever brand you want. A rep for about 1K are professionally made, with clone movements, 904 stainless steel, usually, dealers offer 2 years of warranty, and sometimes even more. Also, some dealers have authorized boutiques where you can service the rep, just in case.

I would leave the pre-owned and vintages for another occasion. 1 k is not as much for a new, bombastic watch. So, why not have a rep of the highest quality possible? You could find a trusted TD and believe me, you won’t regret a good rep. it’s better to have a great Rolex or AP rep on the wrist, than a watch of “who knows from what brand” for 1K. Imho

CapOOchino

Honestly, I’d be looking at an expensive watch only6 if it has a potential ROI, return on investment. It’s when you buy things that don’t lose value over time and you can someday sell them again at a pretty nice price. In such a case, I’d go for a vintage, and in a better scenario, a rare piece one. Not sure if you can have a good piece for 1k but make some research to find it out. You won’t be able to sell your rep later to return your money, with a new-you never know how it’s going to last in trend or decreased in value, with a pre-owned, not sure you can find something as valuable as vintage

Vintage would be definitely my choice

###IcySpicY###

it's unlikely to find a good vintage for 1k.
Unless it’s a Compax, Swatch, KIENZLE, LANCO, Provita or God knows what other names there are costing like up to 50$. I mean that relevant vintages are expensive, 2K and above. So, I exclude vintage from the list.

Between preowned, new, or replica, I’d probably go for a high-quality replica. I would like to have a great-looking Rolex on my wrist, and since I can’t afford the genuine model, a replica would totally satisfy me. Especially if it’s one of those 904 steel, clone movement, full functionality, etc…why not?!
Preowned doesn’t attract me. I better save money for a couple of years and get a new one. I don’t wanna have a watch with someone’s else charisma.

Twirejj4279

I think I'd prefer fabulous high quality imitation from all versions proposed above. For this price, I could get a high0end replica Audemars, or `Patek, or Constantin Vacheron. Especially considering that I trust my dealer and i'm sure he will deliver me a decent replica. Vintages can be cheap. but the cheap options are from unknown brands. A vintage is for persons who love this specific style. I love vintage elements in a watch, but not a vintage watch itself. I mean, I dont resonate with them.
A new one doesn't cost 1K. it costs far more expensive thatn that. At least, I refer to the model I want. Ad about pre-owned, idk, I have never had one, so don't really know how it feels and what the process of getting one involves

DanielDJZI

have you thought about a Franken? I didn't see one in real life, but I read that they look identical, especially if you get them from a professional factory. they are even better than the best of the reps. in fact, it's not opportune to compare than even, as they are more gen than reps. Franken are assembled by genuine components and a professional factory can do it greatly, so the you spot no difference. they are not as expensive as new. however, they are not cheap. but I think it's possible to find a decent one around 1K

CoVriGoooU

have you thought about a Franken? I didn't see one in real life, but I read that they look identical, especially if you get them from a professional factory. they are even better than the best of the reps. in fact, it's not opportune to compare than even, as they are more gen than reps. Franken are assembled by genuine components and a professional factory can do it greatly, so the you spot no difference. they are not as expensive as new. however, they are not cheap. but I think it's possible to find a decent one around 1K
frankens also can be expensive and tricky, actually. my buddy got a so-called franken, according to what the dealer had told him. but the watch turned to be a pretty good rep😂😂😂
I told my friend it's a great rep and looks nice and accurate, so the problem is not big in fact. the problem I that he paid about 1,5k bucks for it🤬🤬🤬🤬 when he could have paid as much as about 500$. a rep it that condition isn't more than that

for the above question, I think you'll wait too much until you get a good gen, if you think of a Rolex of course. if it's another brand you have in mind, I'd opt for a new watch. I spend on my reps no more than 600$

Gaindred

Kind of a hard puzzle here to solve actually.
well, there is something that you need to pull out from this puzzle the preowned and of course new. Let me clarify the thing for you, pre-owned watches usually are really expensive, but they can actually maybe even more expensive than those that are new. the thing is that new watches cost a fortune and you can't do with such worldwide recognized brands with 1000$ there is not even a possibility. in this case, the idea of going with reps is the best one that you can possibly have. there are some things that you can choose from if you go for reps.

1 you can go with two different models or reps. Maybe you can even fit the third rep. they are not going to be the best of the best but trust me you are going to like it. in this situation, quantity prevails.

2. My second thought is to go with one rep that is going to totally blow your mind. reps for $1000 are extremely good, they are considered to be AAA of course you have the right supp. the thing if supp is important too. go with guaranteed supp for good reps. don't be shy to ask for help to find the best and stay away from scams. if you are sure about the supp. the watch that you are going to get is going to be your best acquisition.

Suchispost

Well, it is kind of difficult to tell.
1000$ i feel really confused to say what...
let's start with the fact that you can actually have new, preowned or reps or even vintage watches all at 1000$. there is just one little point to mention here.
if you go for pre-owned watches or vintage watches you are going to find only brands that are not that recognized or even not that good. there is not such a big choice for it. you can totally get it worse.
the vintage watch or pre-owned that you are going to buy can turn to worse than a good replica watch. Replica watches for 1000$ are amazing. For sure you can have more of them if you want ( i mean reps), but they are not going to be as good as owning one for 1000$.
Personally, i would never go for vintage or pr-owned watches.. it seems to me that you just throw away all the money for nothing at all..
what a good rep watch that is even under 1000$. you can have the best model and still save some money. this is a model that is totally considered high cost. and trust me you are going to love it as it totally looks perfect.
Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/1A-014 1:1 Mirror

The movement
is with an updated rotor which i consider to be really good. The stainless steel case of the watch is made of 904L which is good steel considering that a lot of manufacturers are working with lower qualities. The dial is the masterpiece of the watch that green that is unconfinable as it is not similar to many other watches out there. The dial looks really good and the watch can be worn on different occasions. It can even be combined with different styles, the sporty style goes too... if you know at least something about styles of watches than for sure you know how hard it is to find a watch that can match it all.
as long as you go for a watch that take it all ( i mean your money )😁 than go for the best one.
The diameter of this one I 40 mm per 11mm in thickness. Good and solid.
What i love the most about such expensive replicas is that hey even come in with leather straps. Of course, the leather is not the same but heeey it is leather that maximizes the life span of the strap. You dont have to worry about changing the strap after some months because it brokes.

The cherry on top is the water resistance that is totally going to be guaranteed up to 10 meters. Well better than nothing boy, you can use it on the beach too.

Attachments

• 5711-1A-014-1.jpg
    5711-1A-014-1.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 0

Nobbing

oh my god))) why are you, being so in love with replica watches (as you are on a replica forum), recommending everything but reps? 😖😖😖😖 you discredit reps completely. if you are so eager for vintages, new, and pre-owned watches, why don't you just leave this forum??🤌🤌

back to the root question: replica obviously, buy a rep watch. for the money you got, you will have a perfect imitation and a resounding brand o your wrist. and no one will know it's a rep, because 1k imitations look really fabulous!!!

chip&dale

+1 for a rep. I rarely had issues with reps and I trustee industry. for 1k be sure to have a wonderful piece

Suchispost

oh my god))) why are you, being so in love with replica watches (as you are on a replica forum), recommending everything but reps? 😖😖😖😖 you discredit reps completely. if you are so eager for vintages, new, and pre-owned watches, why don't you just leave this forum??🤌🤌

back to the root question: replica obviously, buy a rep watch. for the money you got, you will have a perfect imitation and a resounding brand o your wrist. and no one will know it's a rep, because 1k imitations look really fabulous!!!
first of all, i don't get it... wtf was this comment? wtf does it has with all the things that we are talking about here? FYI you can love reps and love vintage and love gens at the same time if you want. This is a forum for everyone not just those that love reps. FYI2 you can have reps and can have gens if you can and want. Im one of this kind. What now? If i have gens i cant talk about reps? I have reps too.

Seriously, tf is this???? Are you chasing away people bc they are in love with gens? WTF is wrong if you dude? Have you seen that there are some sections for gens and for vintage and for pre-owned watches or are you just blind?
Seriously, f*ck off!