vintage vs modern! help me figure it out!

DBP

hello everyone!
need some advice from u! help me figure out between vintage and modern watches. I'm a bit confused between them.
I am a lover of watches, but I am not a professional in them. So, just an amateur. My trends are primarily oriented toward the modern watches that I adore. However, I read a lot of information about the value of vintage watches and understand that they have a special place in the hearts of watch lovers. To be honest, I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM. I mean, I realize that it is about the financial value of vintage watches. An old Rolex is financially more expensive than a modern one (though, not always). But I don't find them attractive. I don't like them enough to spend a fortune on them. What is the thing about vintage watches, besides the fact that they are worth the price?
Here, for example, the vintage Patek Philippe Nautilus 3700 and the modern nautilus 5711/1A (I attach the pictures below). Why would anyone buy the 3700 model which looks so lackluster? The contours of the 5711/1A are better defined, and the hour markers are more pronounced and balanced in relation to the case. Everything is much better highlighted than in the vintage model (sorry, Patek Philippe!!!)
Am I missing something with these watches?

I have some watches in my collection and every time I talk to my friends about the search for a new model, they keep telling me to get something vintage. WHY, IF I DON'T RESONATE WITH THEM? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to seem like an idiot who doesn't value what maybe I should. So, help me figure it out.
thanks a million! Enjoy the day!
I actually like this beauty))) it doesn't look as refined as the modern model, but it has its charm. look at the patina that has formed over time on top of the steel) do you realize what this watch has been through? a real beauty.... would u sell it to me ???)))) ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Moderatto

how special is the vintage model)))) of course it looks simpler, but for those times, believe me that this look represented a real revolution) if you don't resonate, that's it) it's not mandatorily to love vintage watches)
get the new model) but keep in mind that in a few decades, your grandchildren will look at your somewhat modern watch and say: "oh, what an ugliness! how could you like something like that?" everything is relative)๐Ÿ˜

HorsePower

you really can't make the connection? what you love today in the modern model was born from the vintage model. thanks to it, today you have this beautiful and contemporary nautilus. vintage watches are despised for their historical value, not necessarily for their aesthetic value

Cincinnati

I don't really see much value in the vintage option either. I mean, I admit that it's valuable, that it's somewhat the original concept and stuff, but I look at it as nothing more than an object in the museum. I have not yet reached the stage where I run like crazy after such models. and I don't stress much about it either

$BarHat$

I don't see why you have to force yourself to love a watch, if it simply doesn't work......

it's ok to like it or not... regardless of what the people around say.... there is nothing to judge and blame here...... personally, I have met vintage watches that looked WOOOOOW, while others looked like WTF?! And now what? do I have to delude myself that I love them just because they are vintage? absolutely not. so you are not alone in this boat....... believe me that even if you have a vintage one just because "you have to", it won't last long.... or it will break, or it will fail to u.... that's what always happens when you simply don't resonate with the watch. wear what you love more ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
agree on that;)

Whiseed

I don't see why you have to force yourself to love a watch, if it simply doesn't work......

it's ok to like it or not... regardless of what the people around say.... there is nothing to judge and blame here...... personally, I have met vintage watches that looked WOOOOOW, while others looked like WTF?! And now what? do I have to delude myself that I love them just because they are vintage? absolutely not. so you are not alone in this boat....... believe me that even if you have a vintage one just because "you have to", it won't last long.... or it will break, or it will fail to u.... that's what always happens when you simply don't resonate with the watch. wear what you love more ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
THIS!!!!

This is exactly what I was thinking about!!!
I hate to see and hear people that are going after something just because that thing is appreciated or in fashion or something like this...
i hate when people don't have taste or something. This is related to all kinds of things not only watches.
I love when people love what they wear, purchase or use, because it is their taste and this is what defines them.
Otherwise, all of us are going to be the same, wearing the exact same shit and going for the exact fame things, like xerox. :rolleyes:

StatusQUO

yo're making a way too big deal out'f it... I have the impression that you suffer from impostor syndrome trying to please the community even if you don't like something... the fact that people appreciate vintage should not make you to feel uncomfortable) the world doesn't give a dsmn about your preferences, so you have to do the same) tastes are not discussed) you whether like it or not) so choose what you like, even if it contradicts the most people

PreciousJohn

i love the modern patek. The vintage one is attractive through its history more than through its aesthetics, that is very obvious. but its value lies particularly in this: it is the beginning of the beginning....
and I don't think it's necessary to complicate things so much. it's ok if you like what you like...
I know people who don't accept to eat from plates other than those from the ceramics.... and I don't really give a damn for that.... that doesn't mean that I have to feel uncomfortable eating from ordinary plates .... I hope you understood the allegory

BusyAsHell

no no no, u go the wrong way!!!!
you don't have to force yourself to resonate with what you don't naturally resonate with. Here I agree with most of those who have commented here....
Vintage is about "the touch of time", it is not about design and pure aesthetics only. So, you either get it or not. And it's absolutely normal.

here is another example. The design of the Tudor model from '69 is not exactly the most successful compared to the new version. but it is appreciated for the fact that what you see today in Pelagos started from it specifically. The vintage version is loved by connoisseurs because it is the first model that presented the concept of "snowflake" hands in which the hour hand and the minute hand for the first time began not to be confused with each other due to the design.
Today, the pelagos has kept the first concept, only adding a helium valve for the 500 meters of water resistance and a titanium bracelet, in addition to the rubber one. In addition, a ceramic bezel and an outstanding MT5612 mechanism are included. So vintage is about authenticity. But modern is about evolution. So, it depends on what you resonate with more, while both have the same value. so chill ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.56.24-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.56.24-min.png
    431.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.56.19-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.56.19-min.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 0

CityBreak

of these 2, my vote goes to the modern one. I don't really resonate with vintage-style watches, and I wouldn't be able to match them with everything I wear, although the watch itself is wonderful. but if I think from a practical point of view, the modern one would fit better