what's the reasonable price for a watch repair?

DanielDJZI

Greetings,
How much do u consider a watch repair reasonable? Dad owned a diver Seiko for about 7 years and it ran out of service. Took it to several repair boutiques and the experts astonished me with the repair price of about 60% of the watch’s new price. dad bought it for about $160. Decided to skip the repair for the moment. But a thing confuses me: are these real pieces for repair? or it depends on the watch? Is it in general worth paying for the service for about 60% of the watch cost?
I told dad to consider a new watch instead since one never knows how long the watch will remain in function after service. A new watch would solve all the problems. But dad insists on repairing this one. He’s kinda conservative with all modern stuff and thinks that old is gold.
I’ve read some reviews saying that ETA services are even much more expensive, around $300-350. So I understand that the more complicated the watch is, the more service costs. And still, what are reasonable prices for service? where does the “too much” begin? Thoughts? 🙏

RESTIONY

Same here, asking myself the same questions… what’s the point in paying for the service if by adding a couple of $ you get a new one, with warranty and service stuff?! Don’t blame your father, Daniel, it’s typical for the older generation to get attached to things that served for years. And the sentimental value indeed has a powerful role to play here. Just try to kindly insist on your position. If no response, you just can repair it for how pricey it takes just to satisfy his emotional connection. And why don’t u consider gifting him a new watch? Don’t really think he would refuse))

TwilloLoVer

Don’t see the logic in overpaying for the service, even if the sentimental value is high. I had a Seiko 5 that I’ve been wearing for about 7 years. I paid about $95 for the service, which functioned for about half a year after being serviced. When I brought it to the expert again, he again was asking for $95…eeeemmmmmmm…. No thanks 😄a new Seiko 5 price is around $250. The first time I paid for it due to its sentimental value. But I wasn’t ready to pay the price again, simply because it served me loyally for some years. I mean, if we were talking about watches of 50-70 years, I could get the point of the sentimental value. But when it’s about 10-15 years, don’t really see the point of paying this money or the service. Most probably the model is still available on the market. So, a new one would be optimal, especially considering that it has a warranty. But, overall, why not try another watch in general, I mean another brand or another model, at least? Would make more sense I guess

igivente

I’d recommend you insist on your position in your discussions with your father. After all, he will understand after a while that a new watch is was a better solution.

I got rid of one of my watches for the same reasons. The expert asked for a price for the repair of my Casio Wave Ceptor that significantly outweighed its value. The watch didn’t make me many problems along the way. Only after 6 years, it began to run out of condition. So, there was no warranty available of course, and all the expenses including shipping and repair were not Wirth it.
Instead, I saved the money and got myself a Casio Rangeman. I quickly forgot about the emotional connection of the previous watch, switching my entire focus to the new piece.

YellowSnowman

It’s pretty strange… 7 years is not at all a period in which a watch should totally run out of condition. There are watches serving 20-30 years and only with a battery change, it still functions well and smooth…

R u sure nothing special happened with your watch lately? Maybe some accident could impair its functionality… it’s hard for me to believe that after 7 years it can generate such serious issues…

cheetahapple

“Reasonable price” sounds ambiguous. If an expert asks for 35$ (for example) for a battery change, it’s not reasonable at all. If it asks the same price for a movement details replacement, it’s also unreasonable) what I’m trying to say is that it all depends on the complexity of the service. Most probably, your watch doesn’t have a battery issue (according to me). There seems to be a defect that circumstantially appeared at the same time as the battery running out. The two problems overlapped and you might have not noticed it. Try to check the whole inner movement. The expert shouldn’t ask much for the check-up. If the problem is minor and can be easily replaced with another detail, the price should be insignificant. If the problem is big enough to require hard labor, the expert will charge u according to his effort. I don’t really think repair experts take exaggerated prices. It’s the effort they invest in the repairing process that costs so much. And yes, if the final price is too high, higher than half of the watch price, it’s not worth it unless it is a 20+ year watch with a significant emotional charge.

LIgHtere

I accept only those repairs that cost me a minimum. If the repair service is more than about 20-30% of the watch cost, I just quit the idea.

My watches are not expensive and see no need in paying for their service a fortune while being aware that it’s probable that they will completely run out of service soon. `so, I better focus on a new piece instead.

vingNEgy

Imho, 60% of the $160 watch for a repair service is too much. I would believe it if it was a Rolex or another luxury piece having in-house movements that are sometimes difficult to replace or to find details for it. But for a Seiko, don’t really think that it’s difficult to repair it, even if it’s about a movement issue. Is it on a Sellita or ETA? Usually, these movements are interchangeable in detail.

CasPer$$hunteR

Make a present for your dad, a new watch and that’s all. What will he tell you?:D nothing but thank u) it’s not worth spending such a price for the repair service, especially if it’s not a limited collection watch or a designer piece.

sEVENDEM

Don’t expect it to be cheap. Even basic expertise might be pricey. Just think of it, the expert has to disassemble the case, clean the movement, replace the worn components if there are any, reassemble the movement back, and add some lubricants, adjust it, can the bracelet, reassemble the case. It seems easy but it’s not, that’s why they ask for high prices. Also, it depends on the problem.
Battery replacement is usually about 15-20 $ if it’s a simple watch. It can be up to $50 for more complex watches featuring Chronos and waterproof systems.

Manual watches, especially Swiss-made, can be repaired for between $200- and $1000, depending on the model and year of release.

Sapphire crystals are replaced for about $150. So, in fact, can’t really say that you’ve been extra-charged. These are kinda regular prices. If a new watch is affordable for u, go and take it and don’t waste time and nerves in finding experts

NETEriuM

Don’t expect it to be cheap. Even basic expertise might be pricey. Just think of it, the expert has to disassemble the case, clean the movement, replace the worn components if there are any, reassemble the movement back, and add some lubricants, adjust it, can the bracelet, reassemble the case. It seems easy but it’s not, that’s why they ask for high prices. Also, it depends on the problem.
Battery replacement is usually about 15-20 $ if it’s a simple watch. It can be up to $50 for more complex watches featuring Chronos and waterproof systems.

Manual watches, especially Swiss-made, can be repaired for between $200- and $1000, depending on the model and year of release.

Sapphire crystals are replaced for about $150. So, in fact, can’t really say that you’ve been extra-charged. These are kinda regular prices. If a new watch is affordable for u, go and take it and don’t waste time and nerves in finding experts
great insight... completely agree... the watch is to be repaired by high price only if it has a strong emotional connection with the owner. otherwise, great watches for great prices are available on the market

didn't see any extraordinary prices mentioned here... these are usual prices for the watch repair service. all depends on the type of repair the watch requires. id these prices seem too much, a new watch is definitely the right way to go

TropiKanCHO

all depends on the complexity of the watch damage. But, overall, the prices are pretty spicy everywhere and your expert asked for a usual price, actually. I would recommend u take into account all the above-mentioned suggestions as I also align with them. if nothing works out, stop the drama and buy a new piece

thiN1k1ngTWICe

About 2 years ago I got an MRG 130 for repair. Servicing was 25$ for the repair of the display and backlight regulation. Also, the hands didn’t move properly, so the expert fixed that too. It took about 2 hours. Idk if it is a reasonable price but at that moment, just wanted my watch to work. And it was about two years ago, idk about prices now

staYingPosiTIve!!!

once paid 55$ for repairing a Luminox Navyseal BLACKout Military Dive timepiece. The minute/second hands worked ok, while the hour wouldn't move, like frozen.
the price for the watch-around 370$, if not mistaken.

DanielDJZI

thanks guys, all of you
took the watch to several repair services and all of them suggested +/- the same price. I couldn't go to another city, maybe there, the prices would be different. Either way, I followed your suggestions and got my father a new watch.
Got him a SPB167 Seiko. Truly, I didn’t ask his opinion about the watch before buying it, as I knew he would say it was too expensive. I spent $1,000 on the watch but I love it. Soon is their anniversary with my mother so it will be like a present for him. It’s automatic with manual winding, up to 70 hours of power reserve, super hard coating stainless steel, sapphire, LumiBrite, and a warranty, what’s the most important.

Thanks for your implication, hope he will love it and will get rid of the old one finally :D