When is the watch service required?

Whiseed

Hello there, I have a question.
I know that there is something like going to watch a service once in a while. I know that this is important and that is going to help your watch work better. The only thing that I don't know is when and what actually is required.
I found myself thinking at the beginning that a watch's service is important because it is like going to service with your car. But this is not that simple... You know that your car needs something because there are so many warnings on the panel that can help you get the information right. The watch is something a little bit more complicated for me. dont judge me but I feel like if im not going to be informed I'm going to use a watch service when the watch brokes. If I see that it doesn't function the way it should... I know that this sounds awful but this is all created just because I don't know anything about watches. Please help and explain what are the rules.
One more thing what should I expect? I mean how do I know that the service did all the right things to the watch? Are there some important points that can guide me? Thank you
❤️
❤️❤️❤️

Racrought

Hi nice to hear from you again. There are some particularities to keep in mind when you think about service for watches. The first thing to clarify is to understand how often you need to go. The example with your car is good you know. Yep in some cases is much easier to understand when the car needs to be served. Even if the thing with watches seems to be more complicated this is actually not. It is complicated when you don't know the exact information but when you are informed you already know what to do.

First of all, there are different thoughts about when to take the watch for a complete overhaul. Some sources are going to say that you need to do it once in 4 years others that you need to go for once in 10 years. The truth is actually in the middle and has a thing correlated with watch usage. The more often you use the watch the sooner you need to go to services. There are people that are using one single watch every day. In this case the person should be considered to go once a year if he wants the watch to be healthy.

If you use the watch occasionally, there is no going once a year. You can go once in 4 years.
One of the most important things is actually where you use the watch. If you usually go for dirty adventures like practicing a lot of sports or spending a lot of time on the beach or in nature, your watch is going to need more careful care. The sand and other dirt getting into the watch, can make erosions and make the watch lose its shine and functionality.
These are the most important things to keep in mind.

Whiseed

Hi nice to hear from you again. There are some particularities to keep in mind when you think about service for watches. The first thing to clarify is to understand how often you need to go. The example with your car is good you know. Yep in some cases is much easier to understand when the car needs to be served. Even if the thing with watches seems to be more complicated this is actually not. It is complicated when you don't know the exact information but when you are informed you already know what to do.

First of all, there are different thoughts about when to take the watch for a complete overhaul. Some sources are going to say that you need to do it once in 4 years others that you need to go for once in 10 years. The truth is actually in the middle and has a thing correlated with watch usage. The more often you use the watch the sooner you need to go to services. There are people that are using one single watch every day. In this case the person should be considered to go once a year if he wants the watch to be healthy.

If you use the watch occasionally, there is no going once a year. You can go once in 4 years.
One of the most important things is actually where you use the watch. If you usually go for dirty adventures like practicing a lot of sports or spending a lot of time on the beach or in nature, your watch is going to need more careful care. The sand and other dirt getting into the watch, can make erosions and make the watch lose its shine and functionality.
These are the most important things to keep in mind.
Thank you very much for your answer, it is cool to know all of this.
The last thing that I would like to know is if I have to say to the workers what to do or if they usually do all the things that are related to the watch. I think it is time for me to take care of some of the watches that I collected, so I need to know what to ask :D and how to act. Thank you

vAshayaStar

Hi there….
You know? I asked a similar question a couple of years ago on a similar forum and I got so many answers. Also, I read millions of articles and spoke to different experts in the watch field. Most of them were giving me different information. In the beginning, I was following the received suggestions until I made my own routine, based on my specific watch collection. I mean that I concluded that replica watches should be serviced differently from genuine models.

I think with time, you will come to understand your watches and that they need to be serviced. My routine looks like follows, in the scenario that there are no crucial errors that require immediate repair:

-gens are serviced once in 5 years. And it doesn’t matter if they work well or not, I just get them to the repair shop to have a complete investigation. Just to make sure that everything is ok, considering the watches don’t show like you said, their errors on the dial
-reps are serviced every half a year. Because of the cheap movement in some of them, fading surfaces, you know… these tend to be more susceptible than gens, in most cases.

Also, I consider the type of watch according to the climate environment. During summer, I can take my gen watch serviced once a year to test its waterproof resistance. I always wear my waterproof watches in water, that’s why I bought them- to resist in water. Still, I’m always worried (seems like I have a compulsive disorder) about the waterproof resistance. So, I sleep better when I know the watch hasn’t been damaged by water. Btw, I never wear my reps in water, even if they are stated to be waterproof. Idk, I still can’t overcome the fear of impacting the rep.

And last, I take watches with complications to service more often, tbh. Complications make the watches sensitive with every manual winding. And I better make sure all it’s ok, especially if I wear such a way h frequently

Racrought

Hi there….
You know? I asked a similar question a couple of years ago on a similar forum and I got so many answers. Also, I read millions of articles and spoke to different experts in the watch field. Most of them were giving me different information. In the beginning, I was following the received suggestions until I made my own routine, based on my specific watch collection. I mean that I concluded that replica watches should be serviced differently from genuine models.

I think with time, you will come to understand your watches and that they need to be serviced. My routine looks like follows, in the scenario that there are no crucial errors that require immediate repair:

-gens are serviced once in 5 years. And it doesn’t matter if they work well or not, I just get them to the repair shop to have a complete investigation. Just to make sure that everything is ok, considering the watches don’t show like you said, their errors on the dial
-reps are serviced every half a year. Because of the cheap movement in some of them, fading surfaces, you know… these tend to be more susceptible than gens, in most cases.

Also, I consider the type of watch according to the climate environment. During summer, I can take my gen watch serviced once a year to test its waterproof resistance. I always wear my waterproof watches in water, that’s why I bought them- to resist in water. Still, I’m always worried (seems like I have a compulsive disorder) about the waterproof resistance. So, I sleep better when I know the watch hasn’t been damaged by water. Btw, I never wear my reps in water, even if they are stated to be waterproof. Idk, I still can’t overcome the fear of impacting the rep.

And last, I take watches with complications to service more often, tbh. Complications make the watches sensitive with every manual winding. And I better make sure all it’s ok, especially if I wear such a way h frequently
Even for gens is not that specific to go once in 5 years. Who said that? What actually do you mean that even if they work well or don't work? That this means that if your watch doesn't work you should wait for 5 years to go to service? Because this is what I actually get from your comment.
This is not actually true!!! This may be harmful info, especially for new people, for those that have no idea how and what to do. The service and investigation may be required once in 4, or 5 years for gens if they actually work well and you don't observe any deviations. But the service is required if there is something that doesn't work properly.
I actually matter what you do with this watch and when you use it. If you use the watch on a constant base, for sure you need to go servicing more often. If your work is something dirty and you just use to wear the watch all the time, for sure you need to go often.
There are situations when the watch can work properly, but due to the fact that you've been using the watch in different dirty places, the watch can break. The dust and dirt can go into tiny places where you can't see. Apparently, the watch can look clear but when you open it you can't believe your eyes.

so no... there are a lot of factors that influence the watch's health and when to go. You started well by saying that you created your own routine, but it is important to understand that your own routine may not be suitable for others. ☝️

CoVriGoooU

Even for gens is not that specific to go once in 5 years. Who said that? What actually do you mean that even if they work well or don't work? That this means that if your watch doesn't work you should wait for 5 years to go to service? Because this is what I actually get from your comment.
This is not actually true!!! This may be harmful info, especially for new people, for those that have no idea how and what to do. The service and investigation may be required once in 4, or 5 years for gens if they actually work well and you don't observe any deviations. But the service is required if there is something that doesn't work properly.
I actually matter what you do with this watch and when you use it. If you use the watch on a constant base, for sure you need to go servicing more often. If your work is something dirty and you just use to wear the watch all the time, for sure you need to go often.
There are situations when the watch can work properly, but due to the fact that you've been using the watch in different dirty places, the watch can break. The dust and dirt can go into tiny places where you can't see. Apparently, the watch can look clear but when you open it you can't believe your eyes.

so no... there are a lot of factors that influence the watch's health and when to go. You started well by saying that you created your own routine, but it is important to understand that your own routine may not be suitable for others. ☝️
from what I understood, @vAshayaStar said that particularly he services the watches every 5 years, not the someone had told him so. it's his own scenario, as he told, according to his own experience...work well-means work well, don't work might refer to inaccuracies in time precision or running off in general... to, it's all clear from his comment...

as for the main topic, every time I buy a pre watch, be it a rep or a gen, I promise myself I'll have it serviced regularly, even if no problems appear. tbh, I never do that 😖😖😖 I'm mad on myself of course, but it is what is. so, I get them serviced when there's something wrong, stop functioning, breaking or smith like that, or when they get very dirty already 😖😖😖 and I have them cleaned and polished...that happens once a year apoximatelly, but also depends on how often I wear my watch... either way, I get them to serve when circumstantially needed

Racrought

from what I understood, @vAshayaStar said that particularly he services the watches every 5 years, not the someone had told him so. it's his own scenario, as he told, according to his own experience...work well-means work well, don't work might refer to inaccuracies in time precision or running off in general... to, it's all clear from his comment...

as for the main topic, every time I buy a pre watch, be it a rep or a gen, I promise myself I'll have it serviced regularly, even if no problems appear. tbh, I never do that 😖😖😖 I'm mad on myself of course, but it is what is. so, I get them serviced when there's something wrong, stop functioning, breaking or smith like that, or when they get very dirty already 😖😖😖 and I have them cleaned and polished...that happens once a year apoximatelly, but also depends on how often I wear my watch... either way, I get them to serve when circumstantially needed
well, pardon me I maybe didn't get it the way I was supposed to, anyway about your problem. Yes, this is a thing that always happened at the beginning and I started to obligate myself to do important things like this. I remember how I used to go with calendars and reminders that I forgot about and after some years I just woke up with my calendar popping up the important thing that I do. You can try it, it worked for me.

I don't know if it always works differently for everybody. Sometimes you just need to go for tricks and worked for me... for my sis worked the fact that her preferred watch just broke and had some damages that were really hard and expensive to repair :cautious: I told her so many times that she is going to have troubles and this is what she got. At least since this happened to her she started to take care of her watches. I really hope that this is not the best idea for you and that you are not going to need something like this to make you move and do the right thing.

Nobbing

every of my watches is serviced in a different way... theory dense match reality at all. from all my experience, I never serviced my watches according to a fixed schedule. some of them required frequent service, others- not even once have been left at the service shop. it's an individual matter from watch to watch

chip&dale

I'm cleaning a polishing my watches once a year. unless they don't break or stop running (in such a case, I'd normally visit the repair shop more frequently). in an ideal scenario, without breaking, cracking, stopping etc, once a year service is pretty ok for me. a lot of dust, mug, dead cells from my skin clog within the bracelet links or between lugs and the case and it gets impossible and disgusting to look at the watch, especially from at interior side. can't understand people who never get their watch for cleaning🤬🤬🤢🤢🤢

dailydose

the example with the car is just perfect to me.... I think that I u take your watch to the repair shop once every half a year just to clean the dust and dirt, you can ask the extent to take a look at the inner mechanism and tell you his estimations. what's going to break soon? when would be ok to oil the details again, what's the condition of the wheel, gears and what else is there in a watch construction. such a way, you prevent a potential damage

at least, that's how I do it. and the irony is that none of my watches has the same "repair/service" schedule. all of them require service with different frequency.

ArnoldTHEgreat

tbh, I always attack with questions the dealer that I buy the rep from. he is the first responsible for selling me what he sells and he must know everything about the rep, especially considering that only he knows where in the name of God he takes the rep from. So, e is the first instructor. if it's about an online shop, I ask millions questions talking with the customers support representatives to help me set, adjust, and wind the watch. I might also send millions of pictures and ask what button is responsible for what. every rep manufacturers has its now way to assemble the reps and I dont see the sense in visiting a regular shop for support ad assistance, when the customer support department receives its monthly payouts.
true that had bad experiences as well, when the customer support, along with the dealer simply vanished. it happens. but I left negative review wherever possible, let other people know about the scam dealers.
still, for your sake, consult a regular shop for additional support

tbh, I always attack with questions the dealer that I buy the rep from. he is the first responsible for selling me what he sells and he must know everything about the rep, especially considering that only he knows where in the name of God he takes the rep from. So, e is the first instructor. if it's about an online shop, I ask millions questions talking with the customers support representatives to help me set, adjust, and wind the watch. I might also send millions of pictures and ask what button is responsible for what. every rep manufacturers has its now way to assemble the reps and I dont see the sense in visiting a regular shop for support ad assistance, when the customer support department receives its monthly payouts.
true that had bad experiences as well, when the customer support, along with the dealer simply vanished. it happens. but I left negative review wherever possible, let other people know about the scam dealers.
good point, only that some dealers dont even respond to emails once you paid for the watch... what then??

igivente

never serviced a rep right at the moment of buying. if it's a mechanical one, you might get it in case you need assistance to wind it for the first time. and even so, I thin you can do it by yourself, it's not a hard task at all.
if its a quartz, better yet. they just function once you put the batter in, and most of them come with a batter included. so, no worries on this. as for the water resistance, I don't know how much can a repair expert tell you. he can't guarantee 100% water resistance. so, the best option is to avoid getting the watch into water at all, even if it's a wr one. you know, better safe than sorry

bagaBOO57335

never thought of it as a solution; but you are right actually. it's the dealer who must know everything about the watch and assist the customer for as long as it is necessary. well, not so long, but still...🧐
the problem is that few dealers offer after-sales suport😖

PpiroJookK88735

nice info out here; I thought reps should be serviced differently than gens. By the way, where do you service your reps, guys?
the same repair boutiques as the gens... not authorised dealers of course, but usual repair shops will do...
from all the times I went there with a rep, only two have refused, innovating the "idk how to deal with a rep". the rest of them serviced my reps just like they usually do with gen watches

diaboliquerye

Well, guys, not everything is as easy as it seems… leaving your watch for service once in a while, only when it cracks, is like having o respect for them, honestly

I mean c’mon, how is your watch supposed to work long and reliably, if you don’t know how to service it? And the worst of it is that when it cracks, all of you only blame the dealer for selling you trash, without even thinking that it might be you who contributed to its out of running…

Even the best mechanical (ESPECIALLY MECHANICAL) movements led service. If you don’t, dust and mud will affect interior micro-parts and will inevitably damage them.

Also, leaving the watch without regular service will make it “dry”. I refer to the oiled particles. Each watch, even a genuine one must be lubricated regularly. At least, inspected by the expert to see if it doesn’t need lubrication.

You can feel it with the crown so that it doesn’t come out easily, or it feels tight when you wind it.

Why do you guys to the service when the problem already appears, and not earlier, TO PREVENT THE PROBLEM? Normally, the visit should be not less that once a year!!!!

carRacer638854

I used to service my watches only when strictly needed, which is when they were running out of service. That's exactly how I lost my beloved watch which I got from my father as a gift when I was 15. I didn't service it regularly and when it broke, the expert told me that it was because I didn't take care of it properly. I was only 25, I had bugs in my head instead of a Brain. mom was telling me to get it to service regularly but the stupid me didn't do so. my dad got so upset with me 'cause I didn't take care of it properly. it wasn't an expensive luxury piece, but still it meant a lot to me. since then on, all the watches I ever since had, are serviced regularly once a year

sadly, I lost the most valuable watch, but I've learned my lesson...

truly speaking, I was more caring asa the beginning, now that I read this thread I try to remember when it was the last time I serviced my watches... long ago, too sad...
mostly, I go to service when smth goes wrong..... sh*t.... I think only highly pedantic leave their watches to the repair shop for cleaning and maintaining. and that's just great actually, I wish I had that pedancy in me....