which watch holding groups are better? Swatch vs Richemont

petrucho^^

LVMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can't talk about the "best group" here excluding this one!!!!!!!!
it's the most luxurious from all, including those that are not mentioned int he thread and including individual watchmaking brands.
Tag Heuer, Bulgari, Zenith, Hublot Louis Vuitton. are these brands inferior to the Swatch and `richemont ones? No, obviously. And since we talk here about HOLDING GROUPS as a whole, and not about particular brands under their wing, the LVMH is the superior one...
just think about it, while other groups hold and manage watches and luxury jewelry (rarely other branches), this one includes alcohol, perfumery, luxury leather, luxury hotels and newspapers. I might miss smth but it's more or less these businesses that LVMH manages...

in terms of business, this one is the most powerful. in term of watchmaking design, it's insane and stupid to compare them as holding groups. to compare the watch segment, you just need to compare two concrete watchmaking brands, and not two holding groups...

###IcySpicY###

I think no-one is influenced by the holding group behind the watch brand when buying a watch. it doesn't mater who holds the brand. its the watch technical and design aspect that matters. people buying watches have no idea about such terms like swatch and richemont and LVMH. only few people might probably ly know that Rolex is an independent brand and that's all they usually know.
so, who cares about the holding group?
these are just part of the business and management. in contrast, people only consider the design and the brand

Karim

hey hey hey, ll of u here!! the author has clearly formulated the question: "ARE U INFLUENCED ABOUT ANY OF THESE GROUPS WHEN BUYING WATCHES????" why do you keep blaming for the improper formulation?

my answer is NO, I don't give a damn about the corporation behind. I'm just guided by the brand itself and the design /features the watch comes with...
if referring to groups in particular, I have like a pretension to the LVMH group. I dont really accept the way it built its luxury empire. some rumour say that it was pressing independent watchmakers to be sold to the corporation. I didn t find much proving evidence, but if that's true, than the corporation is a group of fancy jerks just looking for business... on the other hand, I think that if independent watchmakers hadn't want to be bought by the corporation, they just wouldn't have accepted it...:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: either way, if any pretensions exist, they only refer to the corporation, and not to specific brands within it... brands are doing a great job either way

most of mines come from the Swatch group. and it wasn't a deliberate decision. I just like the way these look, perform, and serve me to my daily needs. also, I'm ok with their prices.... watches that I love from the Richemont or LVMH are too expensive for me.... so perhaps, that's the answer to the main question: i get `swatch watches because their prices comfort me...

Eddie

hey hey hey, ll of u here!! the author has clearly formulated the question: "ARE U INFLUENCED ABOUT ANY OF THESE GROUPS WHEN BUYING WATCHES????" why do you keep blaming for the improper formulation?

my answer is NO, I don't give a damn about the corporation behind. I'm just guided by the brand itself and the design /features the watch comes with...
if referring to groups in particular, I have like a pretension to the LVMH group. I dont really accept the way it built its luxury empire. some rumour say that it was pressing independent watchmakers to be sold to the corporation. I didn t find much proving evidence, but if that's true, than the corporation is a group of fancy jerks just looking for business... on the other hand, I think that if independent watchmakers hadn't want to be bought by the corporation, they just wouldn't have accepted it...:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: either way, if any pretensions exist, they only refer to the corporation, and not to specific brands within it... brands are doing a great job either way
I wouldn't rely too much on such rumours. what is the press not doing to attract the attention of the readers of boulevard newspapers?! and you made a good point when you mentioned that private watch manufacturers had every right to refuse, if they were really somehow obliged.... I don't really think they would have kept quiet if the pressure was really that great :D
so no unfounded speculations :D

I don't have the slightest affiliation with which group is behind the brand, here I agree with you... everything depends on the watch itself, how beautiful and functional it is. the truth is that I would hardly buy a watch from a little-known brand. I predominantly trust brands with an echo. but the group at the back doesn't interest me at all;)

MinervuS

no influence on me actually! I'm all carefree about the group behind. if the watch is a great piece, how would the group behind change my mind?! no way....

Matias

I am not sure that it is a question with an single and clear answer. there are many variables in the equation.

one thing is certain: I am not influenced at all by the brand's affiliation to any particular group. the only thing I think is that the brands that are part of the holding groups do not have enough freedom to express their own voice as they might do if they were to be independent...

I don't know how things work inside the holding groups and how strongly their management guides and influences the actual watch brands. but sometimes, it seems to me that OMEGA, for example, would do an even better job if it were independent.

Now, for example, I oscillate between PATEK and Vacheron watches. I still haven't decided which one to choose because they both look fabulous. Patek is independent, Vacheron is Richemont. But this does not influence me at all. I choose exclusively according to design and brand value

DomPerignon

I seem to be the nerd one in my group of friends and acquaintances. They all prefer the swatch over the richemont, I, on the other hand, am more for a richemont. but I don't rule out that Swatch brands also make equally mindblowing watches.

the groups behind have no influence on me. I opt for Richemont for no particular reason. They attract me more without going into their design or technical essence. when I talk to my friends, these are more attracted to swatch for the price and because they are more viable to be worn every day🤷‍♂️

$BarHat$

better in what? could you be more specific? if we talk about the price, then swatch is definitely more affordable, if we talk about the reputation, both are about the same level. if it's about the power of the corporation, the swatch is bigger, etc... it depends from which angle you look at it

HorsePower

MICROBRENDS ARE THE BEST!!!!! did you forget them? first of all, their quality is not inferior at all. secondly, the prices are much more affordable because they don't have boutiques all over the world where they have to spend extra money. respectively, they mostly sell them online only. in addition, they have a much higher production rate, as well as more freedom in design.... I don't understand why you are stuck with the old and tired brands

Simposium5338

MICROBRENDS ARE THE BEST!!!!! did you forget them? first of all, their quality is not inferior at all. secondly, the prices are much more affordable because they don't have boutiques all over the world where they have to spend extra money. respectively, they mostly sell them online only. in addition, they have a much higher production rate, as well as more freedom in design.... I don't understand why you are stuck with the old and tired brands
but the question is specifically about 2 groups) there is probably also a thread about microbrands) why should we mix things up here?!

either way, the pace with which Swatch watches appear on the market is incomparable with the pace of Richemont. abstracting from all the arguments, I always think that where the emphasis is on quantity, the quality suffers a little.
on the other hand, I understand that there is also the reason that swatch has many more companies under its auspices than rishemont. this could explain the market share of one group vs the other. Either way, for me Rishemont remains the leader. and I'm not talking about prices. when you see a watch that is also a work of art, you are ready to pay for it...

in Swatch, few brands attract me: Breguet, Omega, Tissot. I am indifferent to the rest. From Richemont I love:

Baume & Mercier, A. Lange & Söhne, Cartier, Dunhill, IWC Schaffhausen, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Chloé, Montblanc, Panerai, Piaget, Peter Millar,, Roger Dubuis, Vacheron Constantin, Van Cleef & Arpels.
So the answer is obvious

dancerINTHEdark

these groups must be analyzed from the perspective of market share and annual income. and by no means from the perspective of the horological value they have. it is impossible to compare them from this perspective, because both have very strong and less strong brands under their wings. both have brands focused on sporty and elegant styles and both have brands that excel in technical aspects. what are we talking about here then?!

Moderatto

stupid question, really and sorry for the French. 😂😂😂😂😂😂.... I don't have a majority of watches... I have both from richemont, as well as from swatch, as well as from dependent producers, as well as from LVMH. I choose them according to my mood and taste, and the money I have at the moment, but not according to who creates them. so, I don't know how to answer this question.... in the beginning, I was buying without even having any idea who they were from. now that I know which holding group is behind it, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE to me

BusyAsHell

the braand's belonging to a certain group has never influenced me. in fact, I've never even been interested in who a certain brand belongs to. and I don't even know about all the holding groups you're talking about here.,..

the belonging of watch brands to certain large organizations is nothing more than business. and it has nothing to do with the voice of the brand in particular. after all, each brand creates what it has to create in its own spirit. the final consumer either resonates with it or not, regardless of which organization is behind it. Amen

Rochdale

I've always felt stupid that I don't belong to the opinion of the majority... if everyone opts for Richemont or Swatch, it seemed to me that I too had to join a certain group to be part of the collective... now I can just say that I don't have certain preferences. I like watches from any category. because it is ABOUT WATCHES and not ABOUT THE HOLDING GROUP... I don't give A S..*t who is behind the brand...

HahREF5583468

here is another thread where generalization is the order of the day!!!!!!
why are you talking about groups when in fact you should compare the WATCHES from different groups, for a clearer comparison?!

either way, I find Richemont more attractive from an aesthetic perspective. Swatch is more attractive from a price point of view. everyone chooses based on their priorities

Encantadore59935

is it indeed relevant talking about groups behind the brands? me, for instance, i'm a fan of patek philippe, rolex, and AP. honestly, I had no idea who these brands belong to until this thread. the thread made me google their affiliation. turns out that all 3 are fully independent (correct me if I'm wrong). even if they belonged to some group, that would not change my admiration and love for them

BarbaraO

i love the swatch better. not because it is better than Richemont but just because it seems that around me people are usually going for Swatch and i honestly just got used to it. i don't even know if this is a good thing to do :D influnced by this fuckin world around us.

Wervelf

pretty interesting topic for this one. I don't even know how to choose. I always go with both and have never been interested in finding out which one is better or more powerful. They both have pros and cons.
In case there is something that is going to make me choose one or I die, possibly go for the Richmond just because they are holding the Vacheron Constantin out there. But I'll always feel sorry as the swatch goes with Omega and this one is love too. Hard to say. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

BenStone

does anyone give a damn on it? who cares?)))) no offence, but thinkin' that it's not relevant at all) one gets the watch he likes, he resonates with, and finds useful for his/her needs.