would u opt for quality instead of quantity? Or vice versa?

salmeari

Hi fellows, good to see u here,
Seeking a piece of advice from you. I have some special feelings toward watches, but can’t really take pride in my current collection. I’ve always been buying them randomly without paying much attention to the brand. Mostly I was buying them because I needed one, or because I liked their design. Lately, I began thinking of buying a statement piece, from a trustworthy brand. I saved some money for the purpose and id like to have a mechanical timepiece to serve me for a long time and to be a piece of art (a bit of exaggeration will do no harm:))
Now, I know you might have good knowledge on the matter and maybe you could guide me a little bit. There are tens of good brands and all of them offer a spectacular selection of movements, designs, complications, prices, etc… So, how do you make your selection? Given that u have a certain budget available, would you opt for the maximum quality single piece? Or maybe you would consider 2-3 watches instead, but less expensive, each of them? Is that the quality or quantity you choose?

I’m considering two scenarios and each time I think of one, the other seems more logical, and vice versa. 1. Go for the most expensive watch possible which includes fabulous complications and mechanical movement, without concern that I could have bought a car instead. On the other hand, If I choose this scenario, I’m aware that this watch would be the first and the last in my life, considering its pricey value. 2. Considering the same budget limit, great the money into segments for more than just a watch. Therefore, I could hunt for pre-owned watches at the auctions and opt for lower quality watches (quartz watches, instead of mechanical, for instance, or stainless steel instead of white gold).

For the first scenario, my attention goes to Vacheron Constantin watches (a Patrimony, to be more specific). For the second scenario, I consider a Cartier (panther), and a vintage Hamilton. Both of them are known to be statement pieces, so I could kill two birds with one stone. But, what makes me doubt is that my too-small wrist would make me wait too long until I find the watch at auction that would fit my size.

Talked to my husband about the subject. He ops for the first scenario predominantly. He says that a good BMW will never be comparable with a good KIA (lol). So he compares the watches making reference to car brands. This argument is still not convincing me enough and id like to know the community’s opinion. Share your insights on the matter please: quality or quantity?

Thanks in advance, folks

RESTIONY

Hmmm, that’s a good point and u made me think about it, as I never thought about how I would have made the right decision. I’m in the same boat as you regarding my watch collection. I mean I don’t own a special collection, most of my watches are pretty common for daily use. Though, I would like to have a couple of luxury timepieces as a family relic to give to my kids. Either way, if I were u, I'd probably go for quality instead of quantity. I think that having one piece with red historical value made by a watchmaking house with a traditional background is a real investment. And not only from a financial point of view. Such watches never run out of value, on the contrary-these get even more appreciated over time.
If you look from another perspective, you will always be able to get a pre-owned watch, given its affordable price. But, you never know if you will ever be able to get an expensive timepiece since it’s always hard to save a big amount of money and different life situations can occur that can make use of that money for other purposes rather than a watch. So, if u have that money now, use it for a really phenomenal timepiece. And Vacheron is a truly worthy watchmaking house. Its watches can be considered a holy grail in terms of watchmaking craftsmanship. Hamilton and Cartier are not bad watchmaking factories. However, these are more affordable and u can always get one. Opting for a premium-quality timepiece will never make u doubt your selection. So, at this point I totally agree with your husband 😉

BrIerNAN

Quality, always quality. Especially if u already have the $. If I had the money, I would opt for the Ulisse NARDIN FREAK X without thinking twice. I simply adore watches with intricate constructions. That is what makes them fabulous. A quartz timepiece is a solution for when there isn’t enough money. But if you have it, why don’t u choose the watch of your dreams, be it a CV one? Let the quartz watches for the moment when you just want to update your watch collection for daily use. A CV is totally worth it.

If y have the money, never think about quality grades. Take the best one. Many watch lovers would be happy to be in your place, owning enough money for the watch they want. CV has a particular design approach. Moreover, its watches are indeed phenomenal from a technical point of view. In general, brands that can make sophisticated watches preserving the minimalist design approach have all my respect. Patek Philippe is also a good example here. Having a watch with a self-winding movement is the dream of any watch collector so, don’t see any point in opting for quartz instead. 👏 for your husband’s example ))

nemailin

Too bad your husband’s argument isn’t convincing you enough)

If the “car” example isn’t enough for u, look through the other perspective… YOUR MAKEUP😁 if y have enough money, do u buy plenty of less iconic makeup brands’ lipsticks and stuff, or u better have one, but phenomenal makeup product?) idk why, but I think you would opt for the second option), as many women would)

To make things clear here, I do embrace Cartier or Hamilton and by no means consider them inferior. But Constantin Vacheron is a legend in horology. It built the history of watchmaking. If u can afford it, don’t even think about other options. Let the other options for later and get what you can afford now

cheetahapple

famous your husband here :LOL::LOL:

seize the moment and get the best u can. it's forbidden to double think when u afford a Vacheron Constantin) if you're still reticent, read a couple of articles about the movements and calibers afford all watches you consider. Choose the best of them, if it's the quality u look for (even though all of them are pretty reliable, but still there are several differences). And also, choose what makes u look and feel exclusive. Not every woman affords having a CV. u got the point

LIgHtere

and my vote goes fooooor........ quantity))). c'mon guys, Cartier and Hamilton aren't quality, or what?! These are great brands and are worth all the appreciation and attention. so, having either of them is having quality ss well, only that at a lower price than Vacheron. it's great having more than one watch. u don't get bored of them as u get with a single piece, be it the most expensive one. with many watches u always look different and u can adapt watches according to your outfits. one watch is good. but many watches of such remarkable brands as Cartier and `Hamilton is even better))

EmPoWeReD

U have the money. Then the money isn’t a problem for u… all of the 3 pieces are great from their technical point of view. None of them has caliber issues or other functional mechanisms. Of course, with a little research, you’ll find some downsides, but it refers to all of them.

Don’t limit your thinking to quantity or quality, all of them are good. Think a bit wider and just pick the one that is to your liking. Make an abstraction from price and how many can u buy for your budget. Just take the one that u feel is most appropriate to your nature and style

We sometimes complicate things deliberately 😁😁

a couple of years ago I was balancing from TAG HEUER AQUARACER PROFESSIONAL 200 to a Breitling Chronomat Colt. Until I made my choice, both of them had already been bought by someone else

hATeAndLovewaTCheS

Don’t really think that this is the right formulation for your question. All three brands you mentioned are qualitative. If I told u to the Constantin, does it mean that the Cartier is not quality? So, here the question is more about the value than the quantity.

And may your husband forgive me but the allegory between the BMW/Kia is not the most appropriate one when comparing Vacheron and Cartier 🫣 I think comparing these watch brands with a BMW with full possible features and a BMW with fewer technical features… this comparison would be wiser)))

As for watches, I’d go with the Constantin Vacheron first, and complete the collection with Cartier and Hamilton along the way… and don’t worry, you’ll find the money if your desire is strong 💪

vingNEgy

the Patrimony is worth all the money. it's better to have a smaller watch collection with impressive and iconic models than a large one with...how to express correctly?!... more modest watches... with all due respect to Cartier and Hamilton, these are great brands as well. But think that many people would like to have the possibility of owning a Constantin Vacheron and don't have it.. you do...so it would be unreasonable to not take advantage of it

Ghosterry

Your husband’s example is hilarious 😂😂😂😂 it’s hard to compare these watch brands actually:DDD all of them is one of a kind and has their distinctive features, visions, design approach, etc… but, u can’t ever say that Cartier and Hamilton are inferior in quality. I think u already understand what watch u should buy)) as most here are for the Vacheron ) it’s a sin avoiding to buy one if u have the money. the other two brands are more affordable and it’s not excluded you will be able to buy them on the go

NETEriuM

ouch... not the right formulation))) you underestimate Cartier and Hamilton by suggesting that these refer to quantity))) but I got the point of what u mean so my advice is for Patrimony obviously. you have to take the watch u afford at the moment. A cheaper watch is always easier to take so do the hard work now ))

UltrARiott

honestly, id look more to their movements and calibers, rather than to their brand value snd design... would take the one that features a more long-lasting movement and whose exterior is most resistant.. all the 3 are resounding brands, hard today that one is most valuable than the other... Vacheron is the holy trinity, with no doubt. but consider the personal confort also. why would u need a leather strap if u plan wearing it casually and a bracelet would fit more?!

PeperoNNi

Panthere comes with a quartz movement an a steel case and bracelet,, while Patrimony is a self-winding movement with 197 parts, 27 jewels, 28,800 vph, 18K 3N yellow gold. steel watches you'll always be able to get, DEFINATELLY THE PATRIMONY