Rolex or Grand Seiko?:D

BLburNett

With the grand popularity rising around Seiko in the last period, how do Rolex lovers behave? Do they see Seiko as a direct competitor to Rolex? Know many people looking towards Seiko lately, considering the crazy things happening with Rolex lately. Any opinions on the matter? Comments about quality, durability, history are always welcome

DanielDJZI

Admiring Seiko a lot lately. Knowing for sure that Grand Seiko has a reliable construction which is not inferior to Rolex, take the snowflake as an example. Incredible finishing, even better in timekeeping accuracy. Can see GS as a real competitive threat to Rx. And most important; far more affordable. May all the Rx fans forgive me

randomWATCHlover

:D grabbing some popcorn until the Rx fans stack here :D
Actually, watches from both brands can easily co-exist in a collection. From my perspective, Grand S performs some better finishing skills, and also makes great dials and indices. Some are even much better than Rx. As for the design of both bracelets and cases, my vote goes to Rx. The Rx spring drive is fantastic. Either way, there is a factor that can hardly be ever surpassed: it’s the Rolex brand’s resounding history. Many customers rely on this factor, ignoring some errors that the brand can make.

There’s still a huge difference when u say “ I’ve got a Rolex '' and “I’ve got a Grand Seiko”. With the latter, you won’t surprise anyone, no matter how spectacular the watch is. With the former, though, it does mean something, and it doest really matter if the model might be not the most successful from the whole Rolex collection. A bit unfair, but that’s how it is

howdyREP

Recently sold the GS Spring Edition and replaced it with a WG snowflake. Agree that not the best bracelets on GS. But, must say I’m completely satisfied with the superiority of the finishing and movement precision and operation. Objectively and technically speaking, can’t see a big difference in watch craftsmanship between both. Only Rx’s most powerful argument is its history and compulsive marketing. If adding PP on Grand S, I’m sure prices would reach the Rx level

vingNEgy

No one can produce bracelets comparable with Rx. At least, Seiko can’t and it would require years to get to the Rolex level in bracelet making. But consider, that meanwhile Rolex will also upgrade reaching higher levels than now. So, there will always be miles away between these brands. Not bad seiko at all, it has its pros definitely, good finish, creative design. But these make part from two different worlds. Rx is optimal in its category, seiko in its category. Why dont u compare Rx with similar brands from its category, omega, Patek, mille?! Seiko is not the direct competitor. Not the no 1 fan of `rolex, just an objective perspective

Nobbing

GS: great mechanical skills. The 3180 movements proved it excellently, being compliant with the bureaux officials de control de l Marche des Montres. In terms of classics, grand Seiko excels, but Rolex could never create high classic pieces, at the height of its self-proclaimed status. Surprised by the Spring drive sbgc221 and the GS Hi BEAT 36,000 Professional 600 m divers line. Pricey, but phenomenal. Air Kings and Explorer high have similar technical levels, so why then so much hype around it? I would admit the success of Rolex if it created exclusive watches that no other brand does. But its watches are on the same technical and design line as many other notorious brands. Not to mention the stupid mistakes Rx did, appointing on its exaggerated self-confidence

TropiKanCHO

GS: great mechanical skills. The 3180 movements proved it excellently, being compliant with the bureaux officials de control de l Marche des Montres. In terms of classics, grand Seiko excels, but Rolex could never create high classic pieces, at the height of its self-proclaimed status. Surprised by the Spring drive sbgc221 and the GS Hi BEAT 36,000 Professional 600 m divers line. Pricey, but phenomenal. Air Kings and Explorer high have similar technical levels, so why then so much hype around it? I would admit the success of Rolex if it created exclusive watches that no other brand does. But its watches are on the same technical and design line as many other notorious brands. Not to mention the stupid mistakes Rx did, appointing on its exaggerated self-confidence
It got the Swiss Certificate of Chronometer Precision. It means nothing to u? And what about the diver watches being present at the Mariana Trench exploring? And the first Rx on Everest? Do u think it was there by chance? Think u got a personal issue with this brand. The marketing might be more aggressive than other companies, but there r no restrictions in doing so… as for the craftsmanship, it didn’t become a global brand by accident

Almagest

my husband wears a snowflake. says has never loved a watch more than it and wouldn't change it for any rx, whatever it means///

ondOntra

Imho, Rx has kinda relaxed lately. GS is like a workhorse now focused on progressing and updating its technologies to keep and improve beat/time including spring drive movements and stuff… In contrast, Rolex stands in a conservative position pushing on its reliable movements. Curious to see what’s gonna be within a couple of years. Rx might lose ground if it doesn’t come with smth updated. Currently, Rx take price in what it did in the past, GS for what it does at the moment

PeperoNNi

To me, GS, at least for now, can’t compare with RX from the following perspectives:
  • Bracelet manufacturing. GS has to work hard to achieve RX level;
  • Design approach. And it’s not about the final product, rather than about the design of individual components;
  • Brand awareness; at least, a couple of decades are required until GS probably achieves the resounding level of brand awareness like Rx with its Mariana Trench/ Everest, etc… conquests

salmeari

What’s the conflict here? Status lovers will grab a Rolex without much detail entering… how many owners of Rolex don’t even know what kind of movement the watch has?!

Those who are more or less in touch with reality and down to earth will consider a GS an absolute masterpiece balancing quality and price…

Another aspect here: re-selling… those who look for an investment piece, will go for Rolex of course; quick cash for a pre-owned watch. As for the GS, it’s more for personal comfort and serviceability, which GS has a lot to offer. My husband thinks of a GS; he actually considers it a usual Seiko. If he takes one, he will opt for a piece that has nothing in common with the Rolex design… after all, these are two absolute different brands with different visions and advantages

fishwoddy12

I’m honestly writing my personal opinion without having read the previous responses until I complete my posting. I really want to be as objective as possible and not being influenced by others’ insights…

Truly admiring the finesse of the GS. And this refers to both the quality and the finish. Great models in every category, with minor exceptions. Also, some of them are, at least, on par with the Rolex. I’ve heard and read extremely few complaints about durability, timekeeping precision, reliability etc… quartz, SD, auto-whichever u want, there isn’t much dirt about them at all.

And its history is no less impressive than the Rolex. Maybe not such resounding events and accomplishments, but also resounding and pretty long in horological advancement. The only reason that makes me reticent toward GS is the watches aesthetic designs. Simply not to my liking so far. If a GS watch matching my aesthetic preferences appears would grab it with both hands. Those who identify themselves with the GS aesthetics, do not have anything to worry about. Its a truly competitive watch-making brand deserving all the trust and respect.

whySOniCE456

For me, a convincing argument is that the GS spring drive is twice as precise as Rolex (referring to all models 2015 and up). The Rx superlative chronometers guarantee +/-2 sec per day, while GS +/-1 sec. This says a lot about GS. Don’t think it’s equidistant comparing design as this is an aspect that mostly attaches to the personal taste of watch enthusiasts. As for the precision and craftsmanship, I see them as neither superior nor inferior in relation to each other. They have a different target audience, it’s true. The former tends to high society, the latter to the general audience. But this does not speak about inferiority in craftsmanship. It’s absolutely normal to focus on a certain segment of the audience in any field and industry. The fact that Seiko selected the buyer persona with medium income does not suggest inferior quality. Both on the same level

trying to not read others' comments to keep a neutral and objective position. In my view, GS has done great work along its way, and it can compete with Rolex without any reservations. great calibers+movements, great design, though the design is to individual taste. What I see in Rolex, is a more powerful marketing. That's why it seems to be more popular and known worldwide. as for the SK, not only does it provide superior craftsmanship, but also offers far more affordable prices. I know many people switching from Rx to GS and all with positive feedback. Those who are addicted to Rx will never admit tag GS is a direct competitor, but it is.

vAshayaStar

love them both actually. still, my respect goes more to Rolex, especially with its latest releases. Have you seen the fully-titanium release?

It’s proven to be waterproof for up to 11k meters down in the sea depth. Full titanium: case, bracelet, bezel, everything, literally. According to the tests, it is 30% lighter than the same model in the 904 steel version. The brand has partnered with idk what laboratory to perform the deepest underwater pressure tests. And it showed great resistance. The watch is pretty thick though, but I can understand why. Even the sapphire crystal has been made thicker than usual to resist pressure. The point is that this company never stops.

Those who are gonna buy this watch are more than likely to use it 11 k meters underwater of course. So I cannot say that the waterproof profile is a real need. But the effort for the full titanium constructions deserves appreciation. I like the ambition of this brand. Unstoppable indeed, despite all kind of shit that is heard around

ObeisDexter

considering the history, Rolex ++++
considering the ambition to grow: GS++++
there is always an "it depends" factor. it depends on the perspective you look at. o the whole, both re magnificent in what they do