sapphire or hesalite: why?

DanielDJZI

I think both are good. both have ups and downs. It depends on what you need your watch for. If you’re a sports guy, better choose sapphire. It’s more resistant. If the watch is simply for daily wear without much exposure to impacts, hesalite will do perfectly. Just like sapphire, many brands use hesalite. Even Omega has it in its watches. So, see no problem in earring booth of them. I always trust big brands

vAshayaStar

Honestly, I’m for the hesalite option. Because it’s cheap to replace and easy to restore when scratched. Also, pretty resistant, even unbreakable I would say

Restoring or replacing a sapphire is much more expensive, and if it breaks- your watch is dead unless u pay a fortune to replace it. So I’m for the low-budget way, especially considering that it looks great on the watch and doesn’t impair readability

Nobbing

sapphire comforts me better. looks more expensive ( and is more expensive, actually). Great shine and good serviceability

chip&dale

never had a rep with hesalite, only sapphire. and my gen seiko is with an Hardlex crystal. so don't know much about the hesalite in practice. Sapphire crystal satisfies me from all perspectives

dailydose

I hate the scratches on hesalite. One can only carefully place the watch on the table and here they are the scratches right away

Since I don’t get the watch frequently for polishing, the scratches on the watch drive me insane, just like the watch has 15 years instead the 3 months. So sapphire is my option. A bit more expensive but that’s it

ArnoldTHEgreat

I chose them depending on my purpose. if it's a daily watch, then it's a sapphire crystal, as it is more exposed to impacts, and thus to scratches. if it's a formal one, for occasional wear, than hesalite will totally do. both are ok, only depends on what you want your watch for

igivente

so many sapphires and hesalites here :DD
where're the acrylic lovers? 😂😂😂😂
I own a couple of acrylic watches actually, for the daily wear and tear will do
from the two, sapphire is more conforting me. though can't say much about hesalite as never had one🫣

ObeisDexter

from al ever had in reps and gens, sapphire comforts me better. my close friends don't share this opinion😎, so neither expect to find the most "correct" answer here)

bagaBOO57335

how the hell are they better in wearability if you only put the watch on the table and the scratch appears...

sapphire, always sapphire. that's what means a good wearability
agree on that!!!
had only one single hesalite watch and didn't like at at all. I could never get rid of the millions of micro-scratches o it, and it always looked like a 10 years watch 😖
sapphire crystal 👍👌👌👌💪💪💪

sapphire for me is better. as my intention is to build a watch collection, exclude all the elements that could potentially threaten their resistance in time. hesalite is less resistant in time. sapphire behaves way more reliably

PpiroJookK88735

between two those, absolutely indifferent. both will do... For the daily wear and tear. Only in the case when I need a watch for sporty adventures and things like that, I’d get a sapphire though. The fact that hesalite is about 50 times softer doesn’t sound good when it’s about biking/traveling/climbing. Even if it can be easily polished, I still want a resistant glass

I don’t like the milky ring of the sapphire crystal, tbh. Also, I hate how easily it shows all the fingerprints on it and how strong it reflects the light. Even with an anti-reflective coating, it is still far more reflecting than the hesalite. Also, I don’t know why, but I think that sapphire doesn’t look good on vintages. Am I the only one??? It looks too “perfect” in vintage watches and even if the overall design of the watch preserves a great sense of vintage in it, the sapphire screws all up, unmatching the “old” vibe… even if hesalite looks like less “luxury”, it does a better work for me. It’s cheaper to replace and that’s even more comforting for me

DoctorWHO

I don’t like the milky ring of the sapphire crystal, tbh. Also, I hate how easily it shows all the fingerprints on it and how strong it reflects the light. Even with an anti-reflective coating, it is still far more reflecting than the hesalite. Also, I don’t know why, but I think that sapphire doesn’t look good on vintages. Am I the only one??? It looks too “perfect” in vintage watches and even if the overall design of the watch preserves a great sense of vintage in it, the sapphire screws all up, unmatching the “old” vibe… even if hesalite looks like less “luxury”, it does a better work for me. It’s cheaper to replace and that’s even more comforting for me
that's why sapphire is never found in vintage watches. factories opt for hesalite whenever it's about vintage...

I think that every watch lover should choose the glass according to his own needs actually. Both are good, but depends on GOOD FOR WHAT? if you know that you are a bit clumsy with your watches and that you are likely to expose them to impacts, get a hesalite, which is polishable. You can even do it yourself with polishing paste. but this is not possible with sapphire glass, which you will only have to replace if you scratch it. On the other hand, it will take some effort to scratch it, because sapphire does not scratch so easily.

and if you know that you don't have much money, get a hesalite, because servicing it and generally buying it is quite cheap.

sapphire is for beauty; indeed looks better on a watch, by me. but you have to be quite a pedantic person to keep it away from impacts

CuriousGeorge

that's why sapphire is never found in vintage watches. factories opt for hesalite whenever it's about vintage...

I think that every watch lover should choose the glass according to his own needs actually. Both are good, but depends on GOOD FOR WHAT? if you know that you are a bit clumsy with your watches and that you are likely to expose them to impacts, get a hesalite, which is polishable. You can even do it yourself with polishing paste. but this is not possible with sapphire glass, which you will only have to replace if you scratch it. On the other hand, it will take some effort to scratch it, because sapphire does not scratch so easily.

and if you know that you don't have much money, get a hesalite, because servicing it and generally buying it is quite cheap.

sapphire is for beauty; indeed looks better on a watch, by me. but you have to be quite a pedantic person to keep it away from impacts
and what do you do when you need both the benefits of sapphire and those of hesalite together?))))

MinervuS

sapphire, always sapphire!!!!!! both greatly-looking and not bad wearability if you know how to take care about your watch!! when you buy a watch, you're supposed to take care of it, isn't it? ...then why do you care so much about wearability? a carefully cared for watch wears beautifully. and sapphire adds an extra touch of luxury to any watch🤌😎

Matias

honestly, I didn't really have watches with hesalite. in fact, I didn't have any at all. I always opted for sapphire xtal.. and I am quite satisfied. after sin pushed me to get my first replica watch with an acrylic crystal, never since then have I experimented, staying true to sapphire 😂😂😂😂😂.....
well, then I was a student and I didn't really have anywhere to buy anything expensive. it was important to have a watch on my hand, even if it was an acrylic one 😂😂😂😂😂😂

either way, do you think it's worth trying something on hesalite?!

DomPerignon

honestly, I didn't really have watches with hesalite. in fact, I didn't have any at all. I always opted for sapphire xtal.. and I am quite satisfied. after sin pushed me to get my first replica watch with an acrylic crystal, never since then have I experimented, staying true to sapphire 😂😂😂😂😂.....
well, then I was a student and I didn't really have anywhere to buy anything expensive. it was important to have a watch on my hand, even if it was an acrylic one 😂😂😂😂😂😂

either way, do you think it's worth trying something on hesalite?!
same here 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐 in the rep industry, there are more sapphire and mineral options. I dont even know why people talk about hesalite at such an event, as if they were so frequent in the rep industry.....🧐🧐🧐 yet, between sapphire and mineral, it's clear for which one my vote goes.... though, don't have much to say about headline.... never had one....