Sellita mechanism

nemailin

Some years ago I gave a Sellita watch to my sibling. It was a Swiss Legend if I’m not mistaken. `each time we meet each other I see these watches on his wrist. Don’t really know if wears it just to please me)), but according to him, the watch works well and didn’t cause him headaches during this period. +- 10 sec precision

BLburNett

Didn’t hear anyone complaining about it. As far as I know, Muller watches also come with this type of mechanism. In general, many watchmaking houses have begun using it in their watches. Actually, these are functioning pretty well, not inferior to ETA. Moreover, it is always possible to order details and replace them when ETA details are not an option

ondOntra

Not a big profi in the matter, but I think I have recently seen the Sellita mechanism. I don’t really think it is equivalent to the ETA 2824-2. At least visually, they look pretty different. R u sure guys that they are compatible with each other?

igivente

Lately, Sellita upgraded significantly in comparison to how it was operating a couple of years ago. And also remember that watches have to be maintained properly; not everything relies on the mechanism

RESTIONY

Can’t say much about other Sellita watches but my uncle had some issues with its Oris housing the above-mentioned Sellita. The gear teeth were nibbling severely and mainly the gear details differ a lot from the ETA dimensions and structure. So, a possible repair would cost pretty much and would require too much time for the repair. It’s not excluded that the situation has changed lately. But, one thing is for sure, ETA is not always compatible and interchangeable with Sellita

YellowSnowman

Problematic calibers were pretty frequent some time ago (around 10-15 years). Currently, these have already been upgraded and improved, based on customers’ feedback. Now, even if the calibers generate defects over time, it is already possible to find replacement details for them. Previously, it was tough enough…

platoonshrek

Honestly speaking, there is a lot that I can’t really understand regarding this mechanism. So many negative reviews on it. But, as far as I can see in its official description, it comes with 26 jewels instead of the 25 present in the ETA. Also, I might be mistaken, but the finish seems more accurate than on eta. Recently, I tested its accuracy on a TAWATEC watch for one month. It means that for one month (literally) I always wore the watch on my wrist so as to expose it to the most different conditions possible. Sleep, awake, running, walking, working, resting, showering, eating, drinking, everything… Not the most pleasant “activity” to wear the watch constantly but I was really curious about the outcome.
Each day at mid-time I was comparing my watch indexes against an atomic clock. Here is how it worked…the first days the device was + 4 secs. After the 7th day, it achieved +22 sec ahead. Further on, it gained +10 sec. In the 3rd week, it gained +3 sec. So, doing the math, it settled down pretty nicely. For the 4th week, it continued at a -1 sec gain over 2 days, after which it was +1 sec the further 2 days. So, there was a +/- 0-day average.

After my testing period was over, the watch rested for a couple of days with its face up. For this period, it registered + 7 sec. So, a pretty nice result for a Sellita, isn’t it? And for mechanical movement in general. Idk; my own experience was quite promising. Otherwise, it’s pretty hard to rely on others’ opinions, so better do your own experiments and testings

I might be wrong, but many sources indicate that Sellita assembles and finishes mechanisms for the ETA. Consequently, I might deduce that the quality and movements themselves might be identical, or at least, are extremely close to each other. Some of my previous Sellita registered approximately 3 sec ahead over 24 h

Honestly speaking, there is a lot that I can’t really understand regarding this mechanism. So many negative reviews on it. But, as far as I can see in its official description, it comes with 26 jewels instead of the 25 present in the ETA. Also, I might be mistaken, but the finish seems more accurate than on eta. Recently, I tested its accuracy on a TAWATEC watch for one month. It means that for one month (literally) I always wore the watch on my wrist so as to expose it to the most different conditions possible. Sleep, awake, running, walking, working, resting, showering, eating, drinking, everything… Not the most pleasant “activity” to wear the watch constantly but I was really curious about the outcome.
Each day at mid-time I was comparing my watch indexes against an atomic clock. Here is how it worked…the first days the device was + 4 secs. After the 7th day, it achieved +22 sec ahead. Further on, it gained +10 sec. In the 3rd week, it gained +3 sec. So, doing the math, it settled down pretty nicely. For the 4th week, it continued at a -1 sec gain over 2 days, after which it was +1 sec the further 2 days. So, there was a +/- 0-day average.

After my testing period was over, the watch rested for a couple of days with its face up. For this period, it registered + 7 sec. So, a pretty nice result for a Sellita, isn’t it? And for mechanical movement in general. Idk; my own experience was quite promising. Otherwise, it’s pretty hard to rely on others’ opinions, so better do your own experiments and testings

u might have been lucky with your watch))

Actually, it’s never bad to run your own experiments, I agree… performing the power reserve test is one of the methods that suggest plenty of useful data… you can put your watch with its face upward, wind it to its full potential and get the time measurements 12 or 24-hour increment. Some watches might indicate +0/day on the wrist. But only when u perform the power reserve test, the watch might indicate 10 sec fast over the 45 power reserve experiment. The ideal balance is the smallest deviation possible between the indexes while the watch is on the wrist and the indexes while the watch is off.

cheetahapple

Personally, had a pretty nice experience with both ETA and Sellita movements. Some years ago I was wearing an Invicta based on Sellita and can’t say it was worse than the ETA 28xx on my Hamilton. After all, I really think it depends a lot on how u treat your watch and how u take care of it. Mine (both eta and sellita) didn’t let me down either in accuracy or in performance

diaboliquerye

I have a Raymond Weil Freelancer featuring this main mechanism. When I bought them in 2008, I got a 3 years warranty on them. Right after the warranty expired, the inner rotor began to produce a specific noise. In the beginning, it was hard to detect, but gradually the noise was becoming louder and louder. I was wondering if it was possible to replace the rotor or any components that make that noise with ETA details… sorry for not fitting into the discussion…

LIgHtere

I had some troubles with my previous Sellita mechanism and replaced it. The new one is +2spd and I wear it for about 16 hours during the day and leave it for night rest with its face up. After the movement replacement, it never needs to be hand wound. Also, it might happen that I don’t wear it for more than 24 hours since I have many watches in rotation. Therefore, I simply put on the watch winder and it keeps its accuracy flawlessly. So maybe, it all depends on how u manage and maintain the movement. As for the previous one, I have to admit I wasn’t the most responsible

LIgHtere

I have a Raymond Weil Freelancer featuring this main mechanism. When I bought them in 2008, I got a 3 years warranty on them. Right after the warranty expired, the inner rotor began to produce a specific noise. In the beginning, it was hard to detect, but gradually the noise was becoming louder and louder. I was wondering if it was possible to replace the rotor or any components that make that noise with ETA details… sorry for not fitting into the discussion…
a lot has changed lately with the ETA details. a couple of years ago it was pretty hard to find interchangeable pieces but currently these became easier attainable. not sure about the rotor specifically, but chances are that ETA fits. u better find a good expertise and the master will help u for sure

CasPer$$hunteR

Being a major third-party factory helping ETA assemble its movements, I think their experience is pretty reliable. Even though these were both separated, I still think that Sellita has deep knowledge and professional technologies helping it to build long-lasting and reliable mechanisms for watches. As far as I know, the SW200 particularly comes with hacking capabilities and manual winding along with a 38-hour power reserve. In addition, it can provide up to 28,800 vph which is not bad at all for a watch. In terms of movement, it runs as easy as the ETA 2824, so the manufacturers can modify it as they please.

Now, if you’re planning to have a watch running on this type of movement, consider that it has 4 grades. Each of them is different in accuracy and u can take the highest grade if u want to be sure of its safety and reliability. The standard grade provides +/-12 sec a day, the Special comes with +/- 7 sec per day accuracy, the Premium comes with an accuracy rate of +/- 4 sec, and the COSC, as u can guess, meets all the COSC requirements.

If u consider some good watches based on this mechanism, look at the Sinn 556 I RS or the Oris Aquis Titanium Date. I don’t really know the budget you are considering for your Sellita watch, but these won’t let u down soon, for sure. Overall, the Sellita comes with undeniable reliability, no need to worry here.

sEVENDEM

SELLITA SW-200 is very debated not only in this forum. Had a Frederique Constant classic on this movement and didn’t have troubles with it, keeping +6/-5 s/day. My co-worker had an Aqua Racer Heuer that began with +1 per day and exceeded up to -40 s/day within only one week. Depends much on the model and how worn and how manually wound. Overwinding might be an issue sometimes.