Solid vs open caseback

Perpetual

Am I the only one who doesn't pay much attention to this detail? somehow I don't care about the open caseback. if the aim of the manufacturers is to somehow surprise me, it's just a wasted effort. nothing surprises me and I have nothing against a solid caseback

Grigio

I really see the need for open casebacks. and why not? watches also evolve in design and it seems to me that open backs are precisely an aspect of evolution. the solid ones are already boring. in addition, I'm really curious to see how accurate the internal mechanism is because that gives me a good or bad impression about the manufacturer...

but those who say they don't understand anything about mechanisms, they should think that they didn't understand anything about complications either, when they appeared. it takes time to understand them and maybe the first watch will not tell you much about the manufacturer's accuracy. but with the second, then the third watch with an open caseback, you will surely come to understand which one is more refined and which one is made in the wrong way...so, u have to progress together with the watches, guys

GeorgeClintonBiden

the only thing that bothers me about the open versions is that they represent another fragile detail in the entire construction of the watch. that is, not only the dial is subject to scratches and impacts, but also the caseback. if it breaks, everything breaks at once πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

otherwise, it seems normal to see the internal mechanism. this is how I understand and educate myself on what a clock mechanism means. and it's beautiful, I have to admit

CityBreak

what do you mean solid caseback is more favorite? that is, watchmakers spend years developing impressively refined techniques and handiwork. also, they spend tens of hours to finish and carefully process each movement, instead of throwing it into the conveyor to be executed by the machines. And all this is specifically to delight the final wearer of the masterful watch. Besides, why should watchmakers struggle if, in the end, their work is not appreciated?!

OF COURSE I VOTE FOR OPEN CASEBACKS!!! ABSOLUTELY! Watchmaking is an art, just like the paintings of great artists. When you go to a museum, you just don't see the paintings turned facing the wall. They display their beauty in all its splendor for contemplation! Just like that, watch movements are works of art that must be exposed to view for contemplation...

If you don't understand their beauty and complexity - it's your business and that speaks about your culture in terms of watches. but the manufacturers have every right to display through the open caseback the refinement for which they have been working for centuries... how ungrateful some of u are...πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–

UdlinINTEL

I'm frustrated that some people associate open caseback with a luxury car that should have a transparent hood to display the "beauty of the engine". The car industry and the watch industry cannot be compared. Cars are about traction and power, watches are about refinement and exquisiteness. And I agree with those who are FOR OPEN CASEBACKS. indeed, watchmakers have centuries of experience in developing their craftsmanship. For what? TO REMAIN CLOSED UNDER A SOLID CASEBACK?! Absurd and frustrating. mechanisms are a rare beauty. Those who don't understand them means they don't understand anything in horology once they prefer to keep them hidden. This means that they are NOT as much "watch enthusiasts" as they claim

Steve

I don't understand how you can not appreciate the technical construction inside a watch. watch mechanisms is a science in all the power of the word. Centuries have been spent to refine them and make them so delicate while keeping tips so precisely and exactly. So, agree with those who find the open case backs as true expression of watchmaking

sorry guys, those who don't appreciate it: it seems to me that you don't know much about watchmaking....

if you limit yourself only to the beauty and complexity of the dial, it seems that you are wearing watches just to show-off around. a true watch lover is more in love with the refinement of the mechanism than with the watch itself

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 10.57.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 10.57.01.png
    862 KB · Views: 0

RoyaInk

I wear all kinds of watches, including open and solid casebacks. I can't say that I have a particular passion for any of them. However, I admit that I perceive the ones with open casebacks as more expert and more exquisite. When you see how the mechanism works, how refined it is, how complex it is, you come to perceive the manufacturer with completely different eyes.

Even if at first you don't really understand anything about the internal mechanism, by the 3rd or 4th watch you end up being able to tell the difference and distinguish which is more refined, which is more complex, etc... that's how you evolve as a connoisseur of watches)

DoctorWHO

plus 1 for open caseback!!! So much is said about refinement in the world of watches!!! And the movement is also a detail of ultimate refinement!!! THEN WHY SHOULD WATCH=MAKERS keep it hidden under the closed caseback???!!!

In addition, the attractiveness of a watch comes not only from the dial but from the mechanism inside as well. And it turns out that many here would prefer not to see the essence of a watch!!!!! WWHY DO YOU CALL YOURSELF WATCH ENTHUSIASTS THEN, BROS? any can design beautiful dials and compelling bracelets. But few can make refined and exquisite movements. So, why hide them? OPEN CASEBACK +++++++++

salmeari

I agree that open casebacks show the brands' manufacturing skills. And watch lovers indeed become more educated seeing that one mechanism is more refined than another. For me, however, the open caseback does not have a great value... I mean, at the beginning, I contemplate it and evaluate how refined it is. Then, I don't even draw attention to it anymore... I just put the watch on my wrist and I'm gone about my business... so, I don't mind if a watch has an open caseback or not. for me, the functionality of the watch matters more.. If the manufacturer decides to leave the caseback open, i'm ok wiht that... but I would never pay extra just for this feature

Ethan

open caseback ++++++++++
I don't think that a true watch enthusiast does not appreciate the refinement of a watch mechanism... it is true that this detail does not change much in the functionality of the watch. after all, you look at the open caseback only occasionally and on the run. But this does not mean that the manufacturers should not display it to the public. I think that they want to show their craftsmanship and the technique by which they make these extraordinary watches. In addition, I know dozens of models that look very good on the dial, but under the solid caseback hides a movement that looks as if it was produced with an ax... so, let them be open for maximum transparency

diaboliquerye

I love watches with open casebacks, AND I AM ONE OF THOSE WHO WILL PAY MORE FOR AN OPEN CASEBACK MODEL

when you get to understand a thing or two about watches, you are no longer satisfied with functions and attractive dials. You end up wanting something more. it's like leveling up.. so, open casebacks are exactly for when you get to understand the essence of horology and want to contemplate it visually.

Obviously, I don't spend hours staring at the open casebacks of my watches, but I perceive them as a compliment from the manufacturers. after all, watch brands differentiate themselves from each other precisely through the refinement of the mechanisms. Everyone can make beautiful dials. Then how do you understand which one is more master among them? Only through movements. So let them be open because the movement shows how complex the watch is and how refined the one who assembles it is

Almagest

why don't you want to understand that open casebacks are part of the healthy evolution of watches?! they cannot remain the same as they were 100 years ago... it is normal for watch makers to change the concepts of watches and open casebacks are part of it. ... I like them, and to be honest, I have become more meticulous about movements since I have watches with open casebacks... it really educates you

TesaLLiuM8565

it depends on the movement for me... I like the concept of an open caseback, but I wouldn't accept any movement through it... I want the open caseback to display me nice and refined movement, not a rude and clumsy one... I don't think I could bear to wear such a watch for a long time because the open terrible movement would remind me of its poor quality

In the case of a replica watch, I think I would insist that the dealer show me the movement before I buy it. if it's a refined one, why not?

Eugene

don't u people just wear what comforts u most?! what is the meaning of convincing someone else of what you like?! open or solid- who cares, if that is what makes u happy?!

personally, for me the open caseback does not play an essential role. i mean, i like them, these have their place and time. but from 2 identical watches, one with an open case and another with a solid caseback, I will choose the most affordable one, regardless of its caseback

Albert

open casebacks is part of watch evolution... like it or not, these will become more and more frequent... i like them, and got to learn more about watch mechanisms as a whole... in the era when all watches had solid casebacks, I had no idea what a refined movement meant, although all the watchmaking houses talked about it on a large scale... so, it's a kinda of education, among other reasons

BusyAsHell

I'm dying for watches with open casebacks 🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠 I wonder why the manufacturers still make watches with solid backs that hide the marvellous mechanisms... well, I actually understand that a watch whose priority is resistance and durability, certainly will have a solid caseback... either way, I think that a true watch connoisseur must have at least one watch with an open back to resonate with such gorgeous movements (I'm talking about the truly gorgeous ones) πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

StevenOhio

my vote goes for open casebacks. I like to see the mechanism working. 20 years ago, buyers could only guess what was hidden behind the watches. Only repair shops could see how the internal mechanisms looked and how beautiful they were. all that was left for the brands was to tell what high-quality and refined mechanisms they used in their accessories, without the public seeing them... once the mechanisms became open, the public can appreciate and develop themselves in this field

I agree that open casebacks educate the customer. if he has no idea about a refined mechanism with his first watch, he will surely be able to understand a thing or two when he buys his third or fourth. so, its a win win case

however, I must admit that I would not buy a watch with an open caseback if it is a diver's or a utilitarian watch. they must be secure and solid, so a sapphire crystal is not the safest option

MiracuLuis

solid)) i do like the open casebacks, these display beautiful movements idea... I don't know why, I still don't trust their hardness) i mean, the cruystal seems pretty tough, but as I'm not the most careful watch -wearer, I think I will damage it too soon and that the crystal will not last long. steel is steel, so I choose it for durability purposes only

Cinar73967

I would think more about the purpose of the watch than the aesthetic aspect when I talk about an open or solid caseback. if it's a formal watch, open caseback makes sense for the beauty and aesthetics of it. if it's a sports watch meant to be involved in activities and all kinds of active life, I'm afraid an open caseback is an extra reason of panic not to damage it... in addition,. I would trust expensive brands because they make very durable open backs. but if it's a relatively cheap sports watch, I wouldn't really trust the durability of its open caseback.

Twirejj4279

first of all, I would orientate myself by the style of the watch before choosing for open or solid... if it is about sporty watches, I think I would not be interested if it is open or solid, but rather I would draw attention to other functions. But if it is about a dress watch with manual winding, OFCOURSE i want an open display on the back.

And one more thing, the dial display matters a lot. if the watch has a minimalist and relatively simplistic dial, I think that the open display is a good aspect to catch some aesthetic value. NOMOS has great examples in this sense. While the dial seems simple, the display back shows the absolute refinement of which the watchmaker is capable, so the prove tag is absolutely justified