Some crucial truths about replica watches

EasyPeasY57299

Greetings to all, guys… and sorry for the long-read post
I was hesitating a lot about this post, really. But, more and more frequently I come to the conclusion that people, especially NOOBs, get really confused about this hobby. I know it’s hard to filter all the polluted information from the internet regarding the rep industry and many of us can’t make the difference between trusted sources and scams. So, many of us fall into the trap of misconceptions and confusion.

So, the purpose of this post is somehow to educate NOOBs and not only, and bring some light on the subject. I think it’s better to get an informative “slap” at the beginning of the road than later after money will have been spent and deception will have been experienced. Thus, here are the basic misleading conceptions about replica watches. May they clear your minds from the polluted misinformation we see on google. Those who are familiar with the industry, not the first year, comment all your opinions below, please do! I might have omitted something and after all, this post is not a normative guideline, rather than just a conclusion based on my own experience. Let’s begin, shall we?

#1: only Swiss replicas are reliable and high-quality.
I even saw many users here promoting this idea… Please, Switzerland is kinda “busy” with its authentic watches and it has plenty of them. ALL reps come from Asia, absolutely all of them. How do you expect a country like Switzerland, where the law and respect for it is the major priority of all citizens, to handle illegal businesses?! Have u ever thought about that? So, think now. All reps come from the Asian continent and might differ in quality, according to each manufacturer’s standard. All those “Swiss” websites and promises of “Swiss quality” is no more than marketing.

#2: there are different types of replica grades, from lowest to highest, AAA+++ and Swiss clones being on the top of them.
This is another way to confuse you and justify the different price ranges. When a consumer hears “it’s a swiss clone” he is ready to pay more money. Apart from that, who exactly sets the standard of quality? Is there any international regulatory committee?! Certainly, no.

#3: Swiss rep movement is the best movement because it is exactly like the authentic movement.
No!!! Gen movements come with 27 jewels while rep watches have 17, 21, or 25 jewels, among other differences. Some modern reps come with an ETA 7753. This one does house 27 jewels, but it’s an ETA and not a rep.

4#: high-quality reps are so close to the truth that even ADs can’t spot the difference. READ THIS AGAIN.
So, a 150$ watch is hardly differentiated from a $4000 one!!! Is this what you’re trying to believe??? An unfamiliar person with no idea about gens and reps might possibly believe that, but a professional AD can’t be fooled that easily.

#5: 904L steel is used in rep manufacturing
Do you really think a 4K watch will have the same steel as in a 150$ watch? 904 steel costs 3-4 times more than 316.

#6: buying from stores where people leave positive feedback is safe.
Nope, it’s not. First of all, the owners of the site don’t approve of negative feedback. SO, these never appear on the website, even if there might be plenty on them. Second, the positive feedback present on the site is written by the moderators of the site. It’s not real users.

#7: if the site is clean and good-looking then it’s a trusted site.
Again, nope. The pictures on sites are rarely authentic. Most of them are taken from stock sites to look as beautiful as possible. But, in the end, the vendor sends you junky watches, fast from what it’s posted on the website.

My purpose is not to make you not buy reps, but to make you conscious about what you are going to receive. Look from the objective part and buy wisely! In such a way, you avoid disappointment from what u get and u protect yourself from being fooled!

J9$!Dw23

good conclusion and a real facepalm for newbies who still are naive about reps... though dont really agree with the "there are different types of replica grades, from lowest to highest, AAA+++ and Swiss clones being on the top of them" thing... what u are trying to say here is that there are no swiss clones at all and no quality grades?!
I do agree that Switzerland is unlikely to involve in such schemes, but reps do come in different quality levels, if not grades. true that no committee exists to regulate the industry but it's pretty easy to spot a cheap fake from a more high-quality one, isn't it?

howdyREP

a must-read piece of info for BEGINNERS especially
it takes a while until you really get the essence and it's better to be prepared bEFORE all possible disappointing experiences...
I agree with almost all points here, still naively believe that can find 904 steel and aaa grade movements...

PeperoNNi

wish would have known it a couple of years ago :D
" Is there any international regulatory committee?!" loved it :D and I wish there was one, at least)
agree that stores offering and promising high-end reps use basically the same materials than the medium priced ones.
Though must say that the rep industry has improved significantly lately. some of manufacturers come to include ETA movements which facilitates so much the quality stress
still wondering... what about YouTube videos spotting on little difference between gens and reps? these do exist, but the question is how to find them ))

thiN1k1ngTWICe

I was always reticent about the “swiss” reps, but couldn’t believe that some stores that seemed so convincing could deceive such a huge amount of people, making them believe that. Agree that it’s unlikely that Switzerland is involved in such schemes. But don’t agree that there are no different quality grades in reps. Maybe they are not clearly separated into categories as there are no clear standards. But, there definitely exist reliable and hog-quality reps and cheap reps. I’ve seen the construction of Chinese reps sold at the street corner and I saw reps in Turkish boutiques. The difference is huge. Yes, those from Turkey might also be from Asia, but it was clear that the manufacturer was a professional. Great finishing, attention to detail, and a close resemblance to gen… don’t exclude that there are no Swiss reps, but I do think there are quality levels available. The problem is how to find them without being fooled

overall, its a great post to take in to consideration

So true… and so hard to believe it when you only look at those self-proclaimed Swiss manufacturers that deceive people so talentedly… worth reading especially for newbies in the hobby who are still naive

A small piece of advice for the newbies also… enjoy the prices and have fun without having the biggest expectations. In most cases, reps come in a pretty good shape and functionality indeed… but don’t fall into the trap of those who promise you the moon and stars, especially with low prices on sale, promotions, etc… it just doesn't exist. A reliable dealer won’t sell reps at the lowest prices promising Swiss quality

whySOniCE456

Wow… didn’t know so many aspects of this industry… I only knew about the #6 and #7 points… the rest are a true revelation for me now… I was ready to pay about 1k for a rep, being sure that I pay for quality…

Now I don’t think I’m getting this right…What u trying to say here is that expensive reps such as “swiss” and “clone” labeled are inexistent and it’s not worth paying 1k for them?! What’s the reasonable price for a rep then?

TesaLLiuM8565

Wow… didn’t know so many aspects of this industry… I only knew about the #6 and #7 points… the rest are a true revelation for me now… I was ready to pay about 1k for a rep, being sure that I pay for quality…

Now I don’t think I’m getting this right…What u trying to say here is that expensive reps such as “swiss” and “clone” labeled are inexistent and it’s not worth paying 1k for them?! What’s the reasonable price for a rep then?
no one says all reps are bullshit... the point is to not trust those who promise spectacular quality. the quality of reps are more or less the same, from mediocre to good quality. But not as they claim to be identical, exact copy, mirror etc... Youtube videos show some good examples of imitations since they indeed exist. but, it's unlikely that these come namely from Switzerland or Italy as mentioned there... also, no one really knows how they run on the one term, even tough the aesthetics looks good.

That's why is crucial to have reps from trusted dealers/sources.. better yet when buying them from recommended sources

JL$4k029

Greetings to all, guys… and sorry for the long-read post
I was hesitating a lot about this post, really. But, more and more frequently I come to the conclusion that people, especially NOOBs, get really confused about this hobby. I know it’s hard to filter all the polluted information from the internet regarding the rep industry and many of us can’t make the difference between trusted sources and scams. So, many of us fall into the trap of misconceptions and confusion.

So, the purpose of this post is somehow to educate NOOBs and not only, and bring some light on the subject. I think it’s better to get an informative “slap” at the beginning of the road than later after money will have been spent and deception will have been experienced. Thus, here are the basic misleading conceptions about replica watches. May they clear your minds from the polluted misinformation we see on google. Those who are familiar with the industry, not the first year, comment all your opinions below, please do! I might have omitted something and after all, this post is not a normative guideline, rather than just a conclusion based on my own experience. Let’s begin, shall we?

#1: only Swiss replicas are reliable and high-quality.
I even saw many users here promoting this idea… Please, Switzerland is kinda “busy” with its authentic watches and it has plenty of them. ALL reps come from Asia, absolutely all of them. How do you expect a country like Switzerland, where the law and respect for it is the major priority of all citizens, to handle illegal businesses?! Have u ever thought about that? So, think now. All reps come from the Asian continent and might differ in quality, according to each manufacturer’s standard. All those “Swiss” websites and promises of “Swiss quality” is no more than marketing.

#2: there are different types of replica grades, from lowest to highest, AAA+++ and Swiss clones being on the top of them.
This is another way to confuse you and justify the different price ranges. When a consumer hears “it’s a swiss clone” he is ready to pay more money. Apart from that, who exactly sets the standard of quality? Is there any international regulatory committee?! Certainly, no.

#3: Swiss rep movement is the best movement because it is exactly like the authentic movement.
No!!! Gen movements come with 27 jewels while rep watches have 17, 21, or 25 jewels, among other differences. Some modern reps come with an ETA 7753. This one does house 27 jewels, but it’s an ETA and not a rep.

4#: high-quality reps are so close to the truth that even ADs can’t spot the difference. READ THIS AGAIN.
So, a 150$ watch is hardly differentiated from a $4000 one!!! Is this what you’re trying to believe??? An unfamiliar person with no idea about gens and reps might possibly believe that, but a professional AD can’t be fooled that easily.

#5: 904L steel is used in rep manufacturing
Do you really think a 4K watch will have the same steel as in a 150$ watch? 904 steel costs 3-4 times more than 316.

#6: buying from stores where people leave positive feedback is safe.
Nope, it’s not. First of all, the owners of the site don’t approve of negative feedback. SO, these never appear on the website, even if there might be plenty on them. Second, the positive feedback present on the site is written by the moderators of the site. It’s not real users.

#7: if the site is clean and good-looking then it’s a trusted site.
Again, nope. The pictures on sites are rarely authentic. Most of them are taken from stock sites to look as beautiful as possible. But, in the end, the vendor sends you junky watches, fast from what it’s posted on the website.

My purpose is not to make you not buy reps, but to make you conscious about what you are going to receive. Look from the objective part and buy wisely! In such a way, you avoid disappointment from what u get and u protect yourself from being fooled!
a painful facepalm for new in the hobby who still believe in huge factories somewhere in the swiss mountains with tens of departments assembling swiss reps 😂

no room for pessimism though)

All rep components are in any case manufactured in factories. Replica manufacturers contract those factories to supply them with dials, hands, movements, cases, etc… Each component comes from a different supplier. So rep manufacturers in fact just assemble the watch as a puzzle without needing high-end equipment. It’s not excluded that some medium watch brands take watch components from the same suppliers as rep manufacturers, the only difference is the official contract of supply.

Those who ask for cases (for example), be they official brands or reps, usually make a specific request for some specific technical specifications. So the suppliers simply execute, without giving a damn in the cases that look like gen luxury pieces. They don’t break any law or contract stipulations, rather than simply execute.

Other factories supply dials of different quality. Replica manufacturers get the dials they pay for. If they pay more, they get improved dials, and subsequently, the final customer has a more performant watch dial on his rep. A dial factory can produce dials both for rep assemblers as well as for Bvlgari for example. It’s like a shop selling dials. If you wanna higher quality, you pay more and vice versa.

The question in this ring of processes is how much is a rep assembler ready to pay for the separate components. On this depends the final replica watch quality. Some focus on cheaper components to sell more in the short term (because customers won’t return to them due to the low quality) while others will buy better components. The reps will cost more in such a case, but customer retention is significantly higher because people will recommend the seller to other customers and will be glad to return themselves to the same dealer.

Know this because one of my close friends had the chance to work in the quartz watch industry and visited a couple of factories in China.

hiFUProstry

love the author's tone 😂 indirect sarcasm + irony subtleties 😂😂😂
if seriously, the topic is very informative. Google is full of misconceptions and unfortunately steely, people believe I them. I also was one of those deeply believing that 904 steel can be 200$ at the beginning and there was no one telling me the truth. so, after a couple of slaps on my naivety, ive learnt my lesson. Not all that shines is gold, and on google, almost everything shines. buy wise indeed and keep away from dealer that promise you gold by 100$.

i've learnt a lot due to forums and guys like all of you here

a painful facepalm for new in the hobby who still believe in huge factories somewhere in the swiss mountains with tens of departments assembling swiss reps 😂

no room for pessimism though)

All rep components are in any case manufactured in factories. Replica manufacturers contract those factories to supply them with dials, hands, movements, cases, etc… Each component comes from a different supplier. So rep manufacturers in fact just assemble the watch as a puzzle without needing high-end equipment. It’s not excluded that some medium watch brands take watch components from the same suppliers as rep manufacturers, the only difference is the official contract of supply.

Those who ask for cases (for example), be they official brands or reps, usually make a specific request for some specific technical specifications. So the suppliers simply execute, without giving a damn in the cases that look like gen luxury pieces. They don’t break any law or contract stipulations, rather than simply execute.

Other factories supply dials of different quality. Replica manufacturers get the dials they pay for. If they pay more, they get improved dials, and subsequently, the final customer has a more performant watch dial on his rep. A dial factory can produce dials both for rep assemblers as well as for Bvlgari for example. It’s like a shop selling dials. If you wanna higher quality, you pay more and vice versa.

The question in this ring of processes is how much is a rep assembler ready to pay for the separate components. On this depends the final replica watch quality. Some focus on cheaper components to sell more in the short term (because customers won’t return to them due to the low quality) while others will buy better components. The reps will cost more in such a case, but customer retention is significantly higher because people will recommend the seller to other customers and will be glad to return themselves to the same dealer.

Know this because one of my close friends had the chance to work in the quartz watch industry and visited a couple of factories in China.
great explanation, couldn't have said it better indeed...

I still hope rep manufacturers begin using 904 steel as the extent it is written in google... but, its true that most of them have the 316 steel instead of the sold 904...
I aways keep asking, why is it so hard to simply admit that the watch is 316 steel? what's so bad about it?
Some of the Omega Moonwatches were also made of 316 steel and it's ok, it is a great material. So, rep dealers have to invent fairy tales to only to somehow sell the crap they have 😖

CoVriGoooU

ouch, this info is absolutely contradictory to what u find on internet))
I was one of those believing that bullshit written on internet about 99% copies and stuff like that... but, after talking to some dealers and asking for proof of the 904 steel and swiss origin of components, these proved me nothing. just promises and verbal warranties... so I come to think that there must be something strange in all that... thanks to such posts I realised that it's all my responsibility spending money on what I want, assuming all risks... no one can stop u spend $1000 on a rep, but u have to assume all on your shoulders, including disappointment. Or, you have the alternative to inform yourself and make a research. with such a piece of info, you get more prudent and you balance objectively your expectations. as a result you just enjoy the process

platoonshrek

"#3: Swiss rep movement is the best movement because it is exactly like the authentic movement.
No!!! Gen movements come with 27 jewels while rep watches have 17, 21, or 25 jewels, among other differences. Some modern reps come with an ETA 7753. This one does house 27 jewels, but it’s an ETA and not a rep.":
know a guy ordering swiss Rolex for his wife. paid $1200 and the mechanism would run +/-2 minutes a day, if not corrected...
not always a "swiss" movement equals flawless functioning

staYingPosiTIve!!!

Shocked by the #5 point about stainless steel. I never would have thought 904 steel reps don’t exist. Here, I see it more like a subjective opinion based exclusively on the author’s experience, still believing that 904 steel reps do exist. I don’t particularly refer to those that are cheap. Indeed, $150-$250 rep can be made of 904 steel. But, don’t forget that there are $700-$900 reps that do come with higher quality, including material quality. Maybe not all of them, but, the major part of them has all the potential to be made of 904 steel. So, at this point, I don’t fully agree with the author.

As for the #4 point, dear author, why do you compare a gen with a 150$ rep? Obviously, these will look absolutely different with easily- visible dissimilarities. You should better compare a gen with a 900$ rep, for example, taken from a trusted dealer. Such kinds of reps indeed are highly similar and YouTube videos demonstrate it clearly.

I might agree with the rest of the points to a certain extent, but on the whole, remain pretty sure that quality reps do exist. I interacted with such kinds of reps. True that can’t prove their 904 steel obviously, but at least, aesthetically, these looked highly professional imitations

WorldWideWisdom

Your 2nd point confuses me @EasyPeasY57299 a little. From what I understand, you say that all reps are the same and there is no difference between $150 rep and 800$ rep?!if that’s what you mean, lemme tell you that I don’t share this point at all. The categories might not be strictly categorized according to A, AA, and AAA standards, I agree. But don’t agree that there are no quality standards at all.

These standards actually were invented to make a difference between them, even though these are not official. But, how can they be differentiated then? You can’t compare a pair of fake Jordans in India for 10$ with a pair of fake Jordans that are sold in UK stores for 100$. The same is with rep watches. Some dealers take advantage of it and sell an A rep as an AAA rep. But, on the whole, differences exist and the only difficulty is finding a dealer that responds to the standard it sells. From what you write, newbies can assume that all reps are the same, but they are not

UltrARiott

You made this too complicated, I think

The 4th point is not the way you picture it…

Look at the YouTube videos, and n to only them… I personally had the chance to hold a high-quality rep in my hands and it’s indescribable how close is it to genuine. Don’t know much about the mechanism functionality and how reliable it is, but regarding the aesthetic look, I totally disagree. Some reps look amazingly close.

Also, have some doubts about the 2nd point: the way that you picture it, one would say that all reps are identical and there is no quality difference. Then how do you explain that some reps serve for years and preserve good aspects? Agree, no quality checking. But, still, there are different quality layers in the rep industry. After all, the replica manufacturer decides what quality to offer

Thereld

good conclusion and a real facepalm for newbies who still are naive about reps... though dont really agree with the "there are different types of replica grades, from lowest to highest, AAA+++ and Swiss clones being on the top of them" thing... what u are trying to say here is that there are no swiss clones at all and no quality grades?!
I do agree that Switzerland is unlikely to involve in such schemes, but reps do come in different quality levels, if not grades. true that no committee exists to regulate the industry but it's pretty easy to spot a cheap fake from a more high-quality one, isn't it?
Do you know what is really a fp? When you thought that you found a professional that can spot the diff. between rep and gens and at the end he tells you that the rep watch that you have is actually authentic.
This happened to me and I think that it is really hard to educate the newbies to understand that actually some profs. are not that profs.

Everyone is talking about the scammers on the net, especially regarding the rep. prods. but we forget about the fact that there are scammers even between ppl that call themselves profs. Cringe.
This happened to me because i wanted to demonstrate that actually there are a lot of people out there that can fool you. i was with my nice, he saw everything.

After some days, I found another "so-called prof." that tried to convince me that the original Rolex that I have had for so many years and was purchased from the Rolex store was a fake one and I need to sell it asap. So, newbies ... be patient and in this industry, you have to trust no one.

peGASus4338#!

So painful to hear about the Swiss reps. I really wish there were factories somewhere in Switzerland manufacturing them))

At the same time, I’m solidary with most people here, different quality levels indeed exist. I don’t know if these are called quality grades, levels or whatever u want, but different manufacturers produce different reps. Some of them are terrible to look at, while others are real pieces of art in how close they resemble the gens.

Also, kinda unsure about the 5th point, “904L steel is used in rep manufacturing” as being a myth. I can admit that 150-400 reps are indeed made of 316 steel, as 904 is more expensive and harder to get. But what about $1000 reps? Some websites promise 904 steel quality and even can prove it with some documents. What about them? Also inexistent?! 👀👀🧐🧐🧐

Thereld

So painful to hear about the Swiss reps. I really wish there were factories somewhere in Switzerland manufacturing them))

At the same time, I’m solidary with most people here, different quality levels indeed exist. I don’t know if these are called quality grades, levels or whatever u want, but different manufacturers produce different reps. Some of them are terrible to look at, while others are real pieces of art in how close they resemble the gens.

Also, kinda unsure about the 5th point, “904L steel is used in rep manufacturing” as being a myth. I can admit that 150-400 reps are indeed made of 316 steel, as 904 is more expensive and harder to get. But what about $1000 reps? Some websites promise 904 steel quality and even can prove it with some documents. What about them? Also inexistent?! 👀👀🧐🧐🧐
Are you sure that $1000 reps are actually worth the money? idk, it feels like if you find something that expensive the seller has to prove why... Generally all the reps are not expensive because of the materials used for their production no? so, you go for a rep because you want to save money. When you buy a rep you know that actually is not good, that is not the original, and that doesn't have the same exact materials

idk, i know that there are very expensive rep watches but i don't ever buy them, i dont turst it. why do i have to pay for omething that is fake so much? it doesn't even make sense.
about the promise of 904 steel quality and the doc?
Well cool, yeah they can provide you swith ome doc... i have seen it before, are you sure that are real docs? are you sure that the info is actually real?
i have seen too many things in rep world. a lot of people can create fake docs or info to sell. don't forget that they do it for money, so you have to be careful.
this happened to me, when i took the watch to prof. that i know is good, he told me that i have been fooled.. so..

concientE

@EasyPeasY57299 you should have appointed at the beginning of the post that it is your exclusive subjective opinion. people take your post as the absolute truth about reps, and it isn't. some of the points you mention are right, but some of them are disputable or even wrong.
You seriously confuse people on your 2nd point about quality grades. According to your opinion, there are no grades at all, which is not true. The 3rd point is partially true. The 4th one is complete confusion. You cant compare yes with low-quality reps. It’s obvious that the fakes will be easily spotted. You should take a high-quality rep as an example to compare. Or better yet, provide some pictures you took, once you’ve performed such a deep analysis.
Your post is not 100% proven and has a lot of disputable aspects in it