vintage vs modern! help me figure it out!

Simposium5338

hello everyone!
need some advice from u! help me figure out between vintage and modern watches. I'm a bit confused between them.
I am a lover of watches, but I am not a professional in them. So, just an amateur. My trends are primarily oriented toward the modern watches that I adore. However, I read a lot of information about the value of vintage watches and understand that they have a special place in the hearts of watch lovers. To be honest, I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM. I mean, I realize that it is about the financial value of vintage watches. An old Rolex is financially more expensive than a modern one (though, not always). But I don't find them attractive. I don't like them enough to spend a fortune on them. What is the thing about vintage watches, besides the fact that they are worth the price?
Here, for example, the vintage Patek Philippe Nautilus 3700 and the modern nautilus 5711/1A (I attach the pictures below). Why would anyone buy the 3700 model which looks so lackluster? The contours of the 5711/1A are better defined, and the hour markers are more pronounced and balanced in relation to the case. Everything is much better highlighted than in the vintage model (sorry, Patek Philippe!!!)
Am I missing something with these watches?

I have some watches in my collection and every time I talk to my friends about the search for a new model, they keep telling me to get something vintage. WHY, IF I DON'T RESONATE WITH THEM? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to seem like an idiot who doesn't value what maybe I should. So, help me figure it out.
thanks a million! Enjoy the day!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.20.53-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.20.53-min.png
    448.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.21.27-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 13.21.27-min.png
    395 KB · Views: 0

Matias

To begin with, you are making a mistake by limiting yourself only to the physical appearance of these Nautilus. Vintage is about something else. It's about the history behind it, the original design, that is, the first design that lacks the hundreds of modern add-on elements that sometimes compromise the initial concept, and it's about nostalgia, sometimes.

Don't forget the nautilus 5711/1A is nothing but a remake of the 3700 model that has been modernized over time. Some people are looking for exactly that: the initial essence and primary symbol of what we see today in watches.
Then there is the rarity reason: you will never find an original vintage vintage easily. These watches are extremely rare.

Some people die for the patinated look of vintage watches. Those small scratches or worn strap leather create emotions for watch connoisseurs. that's what a vintage watch is about: about emotions.....I think....

DomPerignon

I don't think you have to force yourself to love them. Either it's chemistry or it's not. It also depends a lot on your essence as a personality, and how "romantic" you are, if I may say so....
If a vintage creates emotion for you, then here u go. If not, then either it is not the time, or the time will never come. When I say emotion, for example, I know a guy who has been wearing a Tank since the 50s year of production. And he wears it for the experience that the watch gives him, not necessarily for its current aesthetic.
If you have only seen him talking about his watch. I don't see him as hot with any other of his watches. He says that the watch is a symbol of the times when the industry was fighting the quartz crisis, and how Swiss brands resisted it.

And if the owner of a watch has something "sensitive" in him, he cares enormously about the evolution of watches over time. Respectively, he loves their history and finds in them allusions to certain historical periods or events. I agree with @Matias here, it's not about the physical here. You are probably still at the stage when all that attracts you to a watch is its cosmetic look)

MCGregor

there is no ideal formula to be a real watch lover or not. even if you don't resonate with vintage watches, you can still consider yourself a faithful lover of watches as a whole. The thing about vintage or modern is extremely personal. You choose your watch in relation to what represents you and makes you feel good with it. For someone comfort matters, for someone aesthetics matters, for someone the history behind the watch and the brand matters. There is nothing to judge and blame here.

The vintage style is more specific of its kind, it's true. But you don't have to understand it either. What's the point of wearing a vintage watch, if you have no idea about its history, and u even don't care much about it? And it doesn't even represent you at all, when your style and spirit is modern, dynamic, adventurous and something like that...

So, pick what represents you... you can't please everyone around you....)

Skorsese

U Know? it seems to me that a lot depends directly on the watch model itself... . I appreciate vintage only if a vintage model also has attractive aesthetic qualities for me. For example, of these 2 nautilus watches, I would still opt for the modern version. I know that the history of the vintage Nautilus is impressive and remarkable, but that does not make me forgive the outline of the watch that seems to be dissolved.
In the modern version, I like the balance between proportions and shapes waaaaaayy much more.

Another example is vintage and modern Daytonas. That is, ref 6263 vintage vs modern 116500LN. They have clearly different proportions from each other (36mm vs 40mm) and have small aesthetic differences.
But the vintage model is much more intense and with a more attractive appeal than the modern option. The modern Daytona has a more pronounced shine probably due to the more technological finishing I suppose. But it lacks substantially the "storyytelling" appeal. So this is exactly the example in which I opt for vintage in disfavor of modern. In a smaller case a stronger essence and charisma is integrated than in the version extended in diameter, but sterile in essence.

So everything depends on the set in which a vintage watch comes in relation to its modern model...πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ..........

guess who is who in the pics below.... :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.14.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.14.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.41-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.41-min.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 0

Greg_B

U Know? it seems to me that a lot depends directly on the watch model itself... . I appreciate vintage only if a vintage model also has attractive aesthetic qualities for me. For example, of these 2 nautilus watches, I would still opt for the modern version. I know that the history of the vintage Nautilus is impressive and remarkable, but that does not make me forgive the outline of the watch that seems to be dissolved.
In the modern version, I like the balance between proportions and shapes waaaaaayy much more.

Another example is vintage and modern Daytonas. That is, ref 6263 vintage vs modern 116500LN. They have clearly different proportions from each other (36mm vs 40mm) and have small aesthetic differences.
But the vintage model is much more intense and with a more attractive appeal than the modern option. The modern Daytona has a more pronounced shine probably due to the more technological finishing I suppose. But it lacks substantially the "storyytelling" appeal. So this is exactly the example in which I opt for vintage in disfavor of modern. In a smaller case a stronger essence and charisma is integrated than in the version extended in diameter, but sterile in essence.

So everything depends on the set in which a vintage watch comes in relation to its modern model...πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ..........

guess who is who in the pics below.... :D
first- modern, sec-- vintage))
totally agree with you about the vintage daytona. it seems even more delicate, but also with a "storytelling" appeal. you scored very well!!!!!! 🫠🫠🫠🫠😎😎😎😎

Though, I can't help but vote for modern watches. whether we like it or not, they have a much safer, promising, qualitative architecture in terms of materials. And when you have a new modern watch, as if you have fewer headaches.
For a vintage, from the idea to the actual purchase is a long process. Not only do you have to pay a painful amount for the watch, but you also have to put some money aside for the service, which, most likely, you will do very quickly.

In addition, you have to be very vigorous with the gasket, and make sure that the integrated movement coincides with the movement that is engraved on the watch.
these are just 2 of the many aspects that you have to take into account. so, idk if I would get into such a business...

MinervuS

first- modern, sec-- vintage))
totally agree with you about the vintage daytona. it seems even more delicate, but also with a "storytelling" appeal. you scored very well!!!!!! 🫠🫠🫠🫠😎😎😎😎

Though, I can't help but vote for modern watches. whether we like it or not, they have a much safer, promising, qualitative architecture in terms of materials. And when you have a new modern watch, as if you have fewer headaches.
For a vintage, from the idea to the actual purchase is a long process. Not only do you have to pay a painful amount for the watch, but you also have to put some money aside for the service, which, most likely, you will do very quickly.

In addition, you have to be very vigorous with the gasket, and make sure that the integrated movement coincides with the movement that is engraved on the watch.
these are just 2 of the many aspects that you have to take into account. so, idk if I would get into such a business...
precisely for this reason, vintage watches are not for everyone... they are exclusively for those who are ready to pay for the history behind them, for their appeal from the early days, without worrying too much about how much this luxury costs them .... when you get a Mercedes, you just know that it will cost you a lot to service and maintain the car... still you buy it for value and performance.... exactly the same with the watches, you buy it when you are morally and financially prepared for it and for its maintenance... and u enjoy it for its value that goes beyond aesthetics...

Greg_B

precisely for this reason, vintage watches are not for everyone... they are exclusively for those who are ready to pay for the history behind them, for their appeal from the early days, without worrying too much about how much this luxury costs them .... when you get a Mercedes, you just know that it will cost you a lot to service and maintain the car... still you buy it for value and performance.... exactly the same with the watches, you buy it when you are morally and financially prepared for it and for its maintenance... and u enjoy it for its value that goes beyond aesthetics...
eeeemmmmmmm........yes, but you can't guarantee the performance of a vintage watch... with a Mercedes, you go to the service and check it before you buy it. and in addition, you spend money for minimal maintenance, you don't change the engine in it... but a vintage watch, the movement is the most likely to be damaged, which would be equivalent to the Mercedes engine... and that would be a total waste of money if you have to replace the movement. and not only expensive, but also a headache. how do you get a similar movement when they are no longer produced?!

EuGeniuS

eeeemmmmmmm........yes, but you can't guarantee the performance of a vintage watch... with a Mercedes, you go to the service and check it before you buy it. and in addition, you spend money for minimal maintenance, you don't change the engine in it... but a vintage watch, the movement is the most likely to be damaged, which would be equivalent to the Mercedes engine... and that would be a total waste of money if you have to replace the movement. and not only expensive, but also a headache. how do you get a similar movement when they are no longer produced?!
but you can do the same with a vintage watch. if you know which dealer you are buying it from, hassles are unlikely. check everything in the watch BEFORE you buy it and everything is ok....
In addition, not all vintage watches have different movements from their modern counterparts. look at the AP Royal oak jumbo 5402 and 15202 ref. Both run on the same caliber movement, it wouldn't be a problem at all to solve the problems related to the mechanism. So everything has a solution. This is the beauty of vintage watches: knowing how to buy them correctly...

CosmoS

I don't know how Mercedes cars ended up being discussed here more than vintage watches, but in the end.... let me add my 3 pennies....

in modern watches, I love their corpulence and the sense of security and quality that they exude. even in these 2 Nautilus. it seems to me that the modern watch is more compact, more hermetic, better defined and not only from a design point of view (I bet it also has a more promising mechanism).

As for vintage watches, to be honest, I like to make them "vintage" myself. I mean, I don't really follow the idea that they have history behind them and stuff like that.... Instead, I attribute memories and personal events to the watches. To associate them with something that happened to me personally and that marked a certain milestone in my life. That's why I'm not really attracted to the vintage that belonged to someone else. I would rather buy something new so that the watch grows old with me, accumulating personal historical events...

I find something attractive in both types of watches. but everything is variable...

FleurDeLis

i can feel u@simposium5338 I know what this conflict means about a watch style that everyone seems to understand, but it doesn't stick to you at all...... I'm in exactly the same boat as you.....

I'm not a big fan of vintage watches. there are some that I like and some that I don't. I admit that I also look for aesthetic elements in vintage watches to satisfy my design preferences. here in this nautilus vintage for example, something is missing to convince me to take it. And in the daytona @Skorsese talked about, I'm more for the vintage version. The modern one seems too robust for an authentic Daytona.

What frustrates me in the vintage theme is actually something else, not necessarily the value of vintage watches. the topic interests me a lot and I would be more than happy to cultivate myself more in it. but what actually scares me is the absence of reliable centers that could service my vintage watch as the book says. It is impossible because of the area where I live (a land forgotten by the world, in Vancouver). Here, there are not many possibilities to service an ordinary mechanical watch, not to mention vintage ones. I have to send the watches for service to another part of the country, so the whole procedure takes about 2 months. And in the meantime, no one keeps me up to date either about the cause of the damage, or about the best way to repair it. What can I say about a vintage one?! 🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣
Like it or not, I have to limit myself to the possibilities I have...

$BarHat$

some vintage watches are often seen as a good investment. but you need to know a thing or two about this "business"😎. the whole epic of vintage watches involves horological culture and education. Without these, it is somewhat complicated, if not impossible, to understand their value.
And yes, it is true that their value is mostly emotional, rather than aesthetic. They allude to certain periods of time or events in the history of watches. if you are far from them, don't expect that you can understand and love a vintage watch.... you are still too young for them😁😁😁

Simposium5338

thanks guys))) from what I can see, I'm not the only one who doesn't really understand vintage, and from what I can tell, I think I haven't matured enough in terms of watches to understand them yet. you are right when you say that for now I am very attracted to the physical appearance of the watches. and if that means a modern one instead of a vintage one, that's it πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ.

I think I have a lot to study in this matter 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐, this "science" does not leave me alone.......

Racrought

The thing about Vintage watches is inked with the idea of possessing something you can't easily find. It is like having something that is rare or unique. The first thing that influences the price is this principle. This is why, when you look for Vintage watches you see that the price is high. There are a lot of variations that influence the final price. The first one is how many watches are actually there. If the model is really rare, the possibility that this watch will cost you a fortune is higher.
A lot of people are not going for Vintages not because of price but because of how they actually look. The style.
It is a totally normal thing as the style is not what you like. The past style is different from the one that we have now. In fact, this is why you should consider all the aspects.
If this is not enough for you to understand why people still choose Vintage watches, just remember that people are going nuts for other similar things too. The wine, clothes, portraits, and so on. This is a thing that has been going on for a lot of time. People what to have something special, something that actually nobody else has. Of course, there are goods that are created now in limited versions, the same is related to watches. Trust me, those models that are invented now, after some decades are going to be Vintage too, and people are going to search for them and pay even more money for those models. It is a normal thing and not for everybody.
Same as a lot of people are spending millions of bucks on pictures or old wine that is hard to understand why, the same thing is related to watches too.
You don't need to go with Vintage!

Judging by what I actually see here, what you described here, just choose this version that is modern. You love it and it is what describes you. You don't need to go with the vibe only because other people do. You just simply need to love Vintage in order to go with it. Don't get complicated.

Eddie

agree with @Racrought , people are looking for something from the past in vintage that is no longer current and valid today.... and vintage is a preference\style like any other.... just as there are people who resonate with the art deco style in their home, or they are looking for the minimalist, or with the Victorian one, exactly the same with watches, someone resonates with the modern style, or elegant-minimalist, or vintage..... loving or not loving vintage watches does not make you more or less pro in terms of watches .... it's just a style, more specific and more expensive, but it's a simple style.
the fact that you love patek already makes you a pro when it comes to watches 😁😁😁😁😁😁 so u don't have to necessarily accept the older models if they don't suit you ;)

Whiseed

i dont know if there is an explanation of why you want vintage or modern. I don't think that people are actually going with what attracts them more. All the time when i ask somebody why you go vintage, or why they love just modern watches, they never have some good reasons to explain, they just say that this is what attracts them the most.
the same thing is what i can say and do. yep, it is true that i love moders more, if you ask me why i just can't say for sure why... i can offer some tiny arguments but you can feel like there is a piece missing from the equation.
i love the style, the modern style always makes me feel like home with watches.
im not that into vintage, some of the models can be really cool, but generally no...
i think that you should listen to what you want to say, what you feel, and what attracts you need most.

YupyLuk

I don't see why you have to force yourself to love a watch, if it simply doesn't work......

it's ok to like it or not... regardless of what the people around say.... there is nothing to judge and blame here...... personally, I have met vintage watches that looked WOOOOOW, while others looked like WTF?! And now what? do I have to delude myself that I love them just because they are vintage? absolutely not. so you are not alone in this boat....... believe me that even if you have a vintage one just because "you have to", it won't last long.... or it will break, or it will fail to u.... that's what always happens when you simply don't resonate with the watch. wear what you love more πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Onfew19

I don't see why you have to force yourself to love a watch, if it simply doesn't work......

it's ok to like it or not... regardless of what the people around say.... there is nothing to judge and blame here...... personally, I have met vintage watches that looked WOOOOOW, while others looked like WTF?! And now what? do I have to delude myself that I love them just because they are vintage? absolutely not. so you are not alone in this boat....... believe me that even if you have a vintage one just because "you have to", it won't last long.... or it will break, or it will fail to u.... that's what always happens when you simply don't resonate with the watch. wear what you love more πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
absolutely agree with you, my friend!
unfortunately, we can still find a lot of people that are simply just going on with different watches that they don't even love only because this is what is supposed to be considered as something in Vogue.
The fashion industry still has a big influence on a lot of people... even people that are always going with replicas.
i mean.. i love replicas, i think that they are amazing and that it is a really good opportunity to just go and have the watch of your dreams. to have a possibility to buy the watch that you always wanted without any further problems.. and without spending a lot of money, but i just can't get the idea why those that go with replica are choosing to go with watches that are in vogue and not watches that they really love and like.

this is such a great opportunity to have everything you ever wanted, and you still go and choose something that is not worth it for you.

Preal8

i think that people sometimes just don't know what they like and want.
i would like to ask all of you one important thing. always mention the idea that in reality, the watches look different.
I meant that quite all the time, the thing that you see in the photo is not the same as what you are going to see in real life.
It is mandatory to find out what is your taste if you don't know yet.... At least dear fellas... this is what happened to me!
If a person doesn't; know what it likes.. remember to advise to just go and find them and analyze them before jumping to conclusions.

This is a totally good idea for all kinds of watches. It is not enough nowadays to just like a watch that you have seen for the first time in a photo, and never saw it in real life to just go and take it...
This is the best kind of information that you need to know and i don't know why people are forgetting about it..

Myryopod

the love for vintage watches comes with time... either it comes with the contribution of a father or grandfather, who invested this love in the younger generations..... after all, the value of a vintage watch is in the time that has passed through it .... if you come to appreciate the value of time, you will come to understand the vintage style