how to build a watch collection? what to consider?!

peGASus4338#!

I was also thinking of making a collection of watches. if I were to make one, it would still be original watches. for the collection to have value, it must be seen as a long-term investment. and even if you don't sell it later to take out the money, then at least pass it on to your children who will sell it or do whatever they want with it.
after all, it's an investment that could be helpful to the descendants someday.
And if I were to collect, I would focus on luxury, but minimalist models, dress watches from different brands

CoVriGoooU

first time to hear about the connection of watch collections and psychologic issues @CuriousGeorge. it I think of t, it could make sense actually. I you are a pro in a certain topic, you probably forget about your issues and just showing your professionalism openly)))))

if I were to make a collection, I would rely on a single brand. For example Breitling, I love this brand. Each company has its own separate style, and its own different approach to watches. I would collect all the watches in the style of the same brand, but different models. It should be interesting and fun to have all the Breitling watches and find a specific signature in them coming from the brand itself, even if one is Pilot, another is racing, and others are generally minimal and formal...
When you add different watches in the collections, the collection might come out a bit messy, don't u think?! πŸ‘€πŸ§...
your position is curious. why to make a collection to sell it? if it's about investments, you could invest in real estate, land or something like that.
original watches are valuable, you're right. but it seems to me that the thing with the investment is a bit far-fetched, and not very real, many times. or at least, it's too risky. a watch can gain value over time, but it can also lose it. Even if there are experts in the field who predict the increase in the value of watches in the future, i associate them with forex agents, who know everything about the stock market, but they often screw it up.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

however, for me, a watch collection is something for the soul, and it's not an investment... and I wouldn't want my children to sell it. it's something you've been collecting for a lifetime, and sounds creepy that they sell it and spend the money on who knows what nonsense? no thanks πŸ˜‚

EuGeniuS

sorry about your insecureness)) but you shouldn't feel that at all) why should u? no one knows the story behind your rep watch collection so go ahead :D
what I know for sure about collections is that there are two types f collectors: those who are emotionally attached to the and for no money would ever set it; ad the second: epee who collect them for investment purposes. you're the one from the first category, I assume :DDD
Now, the typology of your watch collection: the rule s that there are no rules. Just decide according to your liking and stop deeding on others opinions! good luck!

Gloo

i just started to collect the watches that i want to have. it is a really hard thing to do. at least this is what feels for me. for sure, what i felt is that i need to go with my heart and to with watches that i really like.
when i first asked about watches that i need to go and start with, there were a lot of different ideas thrown up here and there.. it was hard to choose and sometimes made me a little bit confused. after some time i started to sort out all the watches that i have seen and all the watches that were advised to go with.
i started to trust my gut and to feel which one it for me and which one is the best for me.

my opinion is that you need to start with your taste first. all people have different tastes, and when you know what shape, or what style you like, the puzzle is going to collect and become one.

the most importnat thing that for sure you don't have to do, is to buy a watch that somebody told you to buy if you don't like it. you will regret it for sure.

CasPer$$hunteR

1. you have to give a shit if someone Dorset understand yourcollecrion of REP watces
2. don't go to "one-style" watches in your collection!!!!!! you can add to your collection about 20 watches of a kind, for example, diver watches, or minimalist ones. the variety would be good, bu you won't have much to choose from, when you'll need a formal watch for example.get my point?

I'd go with different styles of watches, so that to have watches available for any type of occasion and to have variety. ifyopu limit the collection to only one type, you'll be restricted In your outfits as you won't vary stylistically

3. having different styles will not make you bored with your collection. limiting to only one-style watches, you'll soon gonna hate them...

JL$4k029

1. you have to give a shit if someone Dorset understand yourcollecrion of REP watces
2. don't go to "one-style" watches in your collection!!!!!! you can add to your collection about 20 watches of a kind, for example, diver watches, or minimalist ones. the variety would be good, bu you won't have much to choose from, when you'll need a formal watch for example.get my point?

I'd go with different styles of watches, so that to have watches available for any type of occasion and to have variety. ifyopu limit the collection to only one type, you'll be restricted In your outfits as you won't vary stylistically

3. having different styles will not make you bored with your collection. limiting to only one-style watches, you'll soon gonna hate them...
I don't think you can get bored of what you do with passion. therefore, @bagaBOO57335 collect what you like, even if they are models of the same type. In addition, if we talk about minimal watches, for example, one brand has a style in creating them, another brand has a completely different style. So with divers, Breitling creates them in one way, Omega in another way. And it would be interesting to have a collection of divers from different brands so that you can compare them, and find similarities and differences. that's why I think that any form of collection is welcomeπŸ™ƒ

MinervuS

I appreciate when a collection of SOMETHING is also comfortable to use. for example, perfumes: they are not only mindblowing aromas that you collect, but also u use them daily. And also in the same context, it is a little unreasonable that you will buy perfumes of the same kind. 15 Million of Paco Rabanne πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, or 30 Julliete has a Gun πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ ...
the idea is that you will probably want the perfumes to be different. Exactly the same with watches. I personally do not collect them. but if I were to meet a collection of watches, I would be curious to see different models of different types. get the point? I don't think it's a good idea to be all formal, or all sports... it gets boring at some point... just my opinion )

chip&dale

here are some ideas that could help you structure your collection:
- you can collect watches based on different types of dials: grand tappiserie, petite tapisserie, ghilloche and all types that exist out there) personally, I would be curious to see them in different watches and compare them)
-different types of bezels and cases: it would be nice to have square, rectangular, octagonal cases like AP with royal oak, inlaid with diamonds or without, already at your discretion. Also here: fixed bezels, uni or bi-directional;
- you could collect watches based on their bracelets. for example all to have exclusively 3-linked bracelets, or jubilee type bracelets)

- you could make a collection of watches that refer to certain historical events. moonwatch for example, like it was on the moon. or the Rolex that was in the Mariana Trench dives or on Everest and so on;)
I hope it will be useful to you!

MCGregor

just consider your desire and pleasure to collect watches. enjoy the process. with so many comments and concepts and recommendations, you're going to have a blast. just buy the watches you like. the rest will solve of itself....

Hameaced

i think that the most important thing to consider is what your eyes love. this is the first thing, and i really think that this is about personal expectations.
i have read so many posts about people that are asking which watches to choose, which ones are going to be the best and so on. Every time i read something like this.. the only thing that i can think about is that this person has no personal taste. this person doesn't know what he wants and just collects items that other people tell him to do.
THIS IS WRONG! This is one of the saddest things that I can think about, this means that you are going to collect someone else's collection and not yours.
the first thing that i remember right now is the typical idea of imposing other to go for sure with Rolex. To make it clear i love Rolexes, but I really think that this is different from one person to another. This why you should not be so astonished when someone tells you that they have no Rolexes in their collection.
I don't know about you but I'm so pissed when I hear something like... YOU ARE NOT A TRUE COLLECTOR if you DONT HAVE AT LEAST ONE ROLEX??? WTF is this people? Can someone explain this to me??
WHY WHYYYY? Why you cant consider a person a collector or a watch lover if he doesn't go for Rolexes?
This is so annoying...
1675957464293.png

Matias

if I started to make a collection of watches, I would follow the concept of "the most wanted watches ever". clearly these would be imitations, because it is unlikely that I will ever make money for authentic watches 😁. I would probably look for a list of the most epic watches that should not be missing from the collection. I would start with a Rolex Daytona, especially from the panda series, 116500LN I guess. I have a special passion for them. Afterwards, a Batman maybe, I would still add it, I think. But only after I get an Aquanaut or Nautilus. in general, I think that a collection of watches, even replica ones, has no chance of life if it does not have a patek philippe in it πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ. I'm dying for them 🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠.
Then I would continue with a Royal oak, no matter which reference.
And finally, maybe something from omega, a constellation I think. Thus, I would have a collection that I would never get tired of. The watches that followed would already be in accordance with my personal style so that I could wear them every day ))))

Eddie

eeee mmmm mmmm............
is it mandatory for concepts or rules behind a watch collection? r u serious, guys?!!!! :cautious::cautious::cautious:isn't it enough just to collect what you like? if I don't like the Ploprof watches from the omega collection, do I have to mandatorily put it in my collection, just because I collect Omega watches?

guys, it seems to me that you are complicating things more than necessary and turning a beautiful hobby into a task full of regulations and concepts....... why not exclusively collect what you want???!!! nooooooooo, why go the easy way?! let's invent some absolutely unnecessary rules and concepts just for the sake of inventions......πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 13.20.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 13.20.27.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 0

YupyLuk

I'm not very good at collecting watches, because I don't own one. But I will leave here some ideas that may help you. At least, I would be guided by them😁😁.
First of all, if I were to start a watch collection, I would definitely consider the available budget. It's very annoying when you make a collection of one or two watches, then stop, just because you don't have enough moneyπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ. Respectively, you come out with an incomplete collection, which does not bring you any satisfaction. In this context, I think you have to plan a specific budget. Every month put some money aside, because you never know how much the next watch will cost you.

The second point to consider is to explore the philosophies of great collectors. I read here that some suggest that a watch collection does not necessarily have to have a philosophy. Frankly speaking, I find the recommendation absurd. When you buy a new apartment, and do a repair without any design concept, the final result can look very stupid. The apartment may look ok, but without any taste. This is exactly what happens with a collection of watches without philosophy. If you have no philosophy in your watches, your collection is chaotic, with no history, no value, and no taste. Eventually, a collection with philosophy is much more captivating and sentimentally valuable than a chaotic one that has neither purpose nor taste. In this context, try to see which types of watches you find the most attractive. If it's about the formal ones, then go for the formal ones, even if they are from different brands. They will have a lot in common anyway. If it's sport, then you realize what you have to do.

The biggest mistake I see in creating a collection is to grow it with the thought of a possible resale later. A really valuable collection is the one you keep for yourself, or pass it on to the next generations, as a family heirloom. if you intend to sell it, then it is about business, but not about a collection of watches in the true sense of the word. Good luck!πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

$BarHat$

I appreciate watches, I appreciate watch collections. but through all these comments, I haven't seen any of them talk about their financial value.

whether we like it or not, these can be assets whose value increases over time. and if I were to make a collection of watches, I would necessarily have this aspect in mind. Why create a collection just for contemplation? If you do things right, you could have some revenue. Why not? If you buy, let's say, about 5 luxury watches, most likely 1, or maximum 2 will increase in value. You could benefit from a handsome sum of money over the years by selling them, and you are left with the 3 watches whose value has not increased. and with the accumulated money, you invest some more in watches, and form a cycle of investments, with a little luck. I don't see anything wrong with that. I really recommend that you look at it from the perspective of re-selling and investment

HorsePower

Personally, I would make a collection of micro brand watches. And I don't follow the goal of earning revenue over time at all, so I don't agree with you @$BarHat$ at all about this. I would get a lot more moral pleasure to have the watches I LIKE, than to earn from them. I think that microbrand watches are disregarded, but in fact they have a much higher value than people think

dancerINTHEdark

but it is not necessary to go with only 1 idea. you can combine them as you like.... no one can say that it is wrong to combine micro brsnds with bigger players from the industry.... couple them as u like and as the heart tells u to....

however, I would also take into account their value over time... it would bring me pleasure to know that the watch continues to have value even after years...

StatusQUO

I think that the more you prepare for this collection, the more you will not achieve it successfully. we often get busy with plans, short and long-term strategies, plans A, B, C and much more such useless staff. And that means that you lose a lot of time and you get even more confused than you were initially. Start the process and enjoy it as raw as it is. collect everything you like and stop inventing principles and rules. After all, it's a soul watch collection, and not one for auctions.

Along the way, you will understand on your own what works and what doesn't. and you will eliminate what does not work in your collection. and you won't even need many more tips here 😁😁😁

BenStone

to be honest, it seems to me that the beauty of each watch collection lies in its uniqueness. so, don't look for rules))) it's enough to accumulate them one by one in your collection as they generate emotions, memories, and special feelings for you... I personally think that collections of watches are about something emotional connections, associations with important people or events, not specifically about the accessories themselves. I admit that their aesthetics and the mechanism of the watches in the collections are still relevant, but the stories behind them fascinate me, personally, much more.

so, go ahead with your own history and story. emotions and sentimental connections are what matter in your watch collection the most. and the models in it, believe me, they don't make a big difference)

RoyaInk

all you have to consider is your inner sense. There are no rules for creating a watch collection. You do it out of pure passion and inner calling. Why should anyone influence the way you create your collection?

I think you can start with anything: any watch, any style, any material, etc... Gradually, you will understand what you need to add or what you need to exclude from your collection. Thus, you will get the form, the essence, and a clear concept of how your watch collection should evolve

Ethan

I don't know anyone who creates a collection of goods based on a certain preset concept) believe me, I know many collectors of watches, cars, antiques, and many other goods. Everyone doesn't give a damn about rules and enriches their collection with the pieces that bring them pleasure ... so i'd recommend you do the same ... add watches that you like the most, without finding common points between them or without following a certain concept or strategy. the collection is something personal and not to impress those around. Those around you will be impressed by your love for your watches, not the watches themselves)