traditional watches or smartwatches?

staYingPosiTIve!!!

lemme first make it clear what a traditional watch means to me: it refers to usual watches, all that are not totally digital. dress, sports, G-shock, aviators, quartz, mechanical, automatic, I categorize all of them as traditional timepieces. Now the question:
-what do you most prefer? a traditional one or an Apple Watch/ Smartwatch?
as for traditional watches, I also refer to reps, not only gens, so feel free to expose your thoughts and your WHYs, as well. I guess many have both categories for utility purposes. In such a case, expose your opinion on which of them serves you better.
Cheers

platoonshrek

I bought an Apple Watch when these were only first released. the hype around them made me curious about them and I tried one. these are functional indeed, but later on I realized that I wasn't using even half of the multitude of features and services it provided. so, I was using it maybe at 40% of its potential. also, I was getting frustrated by its battery going flat almost every day and it wasn't comfortable for me to recharge it anywhere. now with plenty of recharging options, possibly it isn't a big problem anymore. still, I decided for myself to stick with traditional

J9$!Dw23

I see smartwatches as temporary gadgets. these are modern indeed, but the hype around them lasts shortly. all my people had smartwatches, some of them still have them, but these are only temporary. the charging dependence quickly annoys users and people return to the basics. I own an Applewatch 7 and I use it occasionally. I do like the comfort it brings me with its features, though dont use all of them. but once it runs off power, I simply forget to recharge it, grabbing my traditional watches instead. not a big deal with them. traditional ones are more close to me, more durable and longer-lasting

peGASus4338#!

No matter how performant smartwatches are, these will never completely replace traditional watches. On the contrary, it seems to me that the more technology advances, the higher appreciation for traditional watches. Of course, smartwatches are phenomenally functional, but the craftsmanship with which a traditional one is made is irreplaceable.
I have both of them. Like millions of other customers, I got one within some months of these being launched. I still use it once in a while. But I have to admit that the enthusiasm has dramatically decreased in favor of traditional watches

Suchispost

I have both, traditional and smart. Anyway, call them the way you like. The thing is that there is something special in both of them. Sometimes, I just wake up and feel like I have the mood to go with my Apple watch. I don't know why. Is not that I'm full of work and have to use my Apple watch, but I just want to wear it. Sometimes I have a different mood and I feel like an old man that needs to wear his simple watch. If you know what I mean:D
Actually, I purchased my Apple watch just because I needed it for work. I don't know how I turned into that one man that changes the straps for his Apple watch. :cautious: I always thought that this is such a stupid thing. I love to change straps or renew them for my traditional watches. I think it is classy and is a part of taking care... Anyway, I finished changing the straps for the Apple watch and this makes me feel awful. Wait a minute, to make you understand what I actually mean...
It's okay and actually cool to change the strap for your Apple watch when it is old, broken,n or has to be changed. I finished changing it because it is fancier :rolleyes:
Fact: I never change the strap for my so-called " traditional watch" because is fancier, just when it is old. Seem to be good marketing from Apple.:LOL:

UltrARiott

honestly, I forgot about traditional watches for a certain period, when I got my first smartwatch. the curiosity and the fun were big at the beginning. now, I slowed down and use both of them, interchanging them every other day.
I like them. even though I might not use all of its features, they are great for synchronization with the smartphone. it's great to know who is calling you only by looking at it, without pulling out the phone from the backpack in the metro. Great invention indeed, and I don't know why so many people talk here about them like smth out-of-date

statistics show that people are constantly interested in them. true that it's improbable that smartwatches completely replace the traditional, but they are and will always be sought-after. These come hand in hand with the technological evolution we are all assisting, so these will be part of our existence, and it's only the beginning 🤩🤩🤩

Suchispost

honestly, I forgot about traditional watches for a certain period, when I got my first smartwatch. the curiosity and the fun were big at the beginning. now, I slowed down and use both of them, interchanging them every other day.
I like them. even though I might not use all of its features, they are great for synchronization with the smartphone. it's great to know who is calling you only by looking at it, without pulling out the phone from the backpack in the metro. Great invention indeed, and I don't know why so many people talk here about them like smth out-of-date

statistics show that people are constantly interested in them. true that it's improbable that smartwatches completely replace the traditional, but they are and will always be sought-after. These come hand in hand with the technological evolution we are all assisting, so these will be part of our existence, and it's only the beginning 🤩🤩🤩
I totally agree with you. This is the exact thing when you know that a thing has something positive but at the same time negative features. In fact, it is amazing that you do not need to take out your phone when you have no hands or possibilities but at the same time, I hate the fact that I get dependent. This is why sometimes I just need to take it off and go with my traditional watches. Idk, it feels safe :Dif you know what I mean.
Anyway, maybe the thing is to pair them. It is always about the perfect balance between one and another.

I don't know what about you, but when I think about what would I choose... I think I always have the same answer. I mean, imagine that you have to choose between one or another one fro the rest of your life, what would it be? For me is definitely a traditional watch. Don't even bother to convince me that I can't live without apple watch 🤣
🤣🤣

hiFUProstry

I like smarts, but I cant imagine having only them in my watch collection. I like their multi functionality, but I still find them more susceptible than the traditional watches. their screen/display is very susceptible and it costs a fortune to replace them. I know about protection, no need to mention. EITHER WAY, these are susceptible and dependable on recharge.

good idea @Suchispost gave with the balance. Interchanging them is a good option, but having ONLY them sucks. Also, their design is kinda limited. They only can have a varied shape and maybe bezel. Pretty restricted in straps, the available options dont really amaze me.

With traditional is another store. beautiful cases, dials, straps. they variety is fare more attractive. I have, and can't really say that the smart is my number one choice for the daily use

Suchispost

I like smarts, but I cant imagine having only them in my watch collection. I like their multi functionality, but I still find them more susceptible than the traditional watches. their screen/display is very susceptible and it costs a fortune to replace them. I know about protection, no need to mention. EITHER WAY, these are susceptible and dependable on recharge.

good idea @Suchispost gave with the balance. Interchanging them is a good option, but having ONLY them sucks. Also, their design is kinda limited. They only can have a varied shape and maybe bezel. Pretty restricted in straps, the available options dont really amaze me.

With traditional is another store. beautiful cases, dials, straps. they variety is fare more attractive. I have, and can't really say that the smart is my number one choice for the daily use
OMG, I can't even imagine having multiple smartwatches. What for? I mean, they actually were created to be smart... so this means to provide some functions, specific functions. I think that having multiple smartwatches is like having a lot of phones :ROFLMAO:. Why??? I don't know I don't get people that have a lot of smartwatches. I have one, and sometimes I feel so bored and annoyed by the smartwatch.

Honestly, I'm an old-schooler. My soul needs to have a lot of watches.. i mean normal watches, traditional watches. I can't even call smartwatches - watches. They are something else. Like a little mini, maybe an extra mini phone, able to help you when you can't reach your phone. That's all.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Suchispost

I know that they are interesting, but I really don't understand how you do it??? How do you forget about traditional watches? For a real watch lover and a collector, to pass to a smartwatch and to forget about traditional watches is like choosing hell over paradise :D

peGASus4338#!

in my opinion, it's completely stupid to own only one of these categories. First of all, both have an inestimable value. If we talk about traditional watches, there is a huge story behind them and it's all about watch craftsmanship ad artistry. If it's about smartwatches, these mirror the modern world and all it's revolutionary technologies. So, their value can't be compared. the best is to own both of them for different purposes and environments.
I agree that traditional watches are more long-lasting, and I don't particularly refer to their functionality. I mainly refer to their value. I mean that if u take a traditional luxury, so it will remain up-to-date and valuable for decades to come. As for the smartwatches, the main concept will still remain valuable and always progressing, but the main model will get out-of-date very soon. an APPLEWATCH 8 will no longer be actual when the 10,11,12 versions will be available. In contrast, a PTEK PHILLIPE will never loose value. So, in terms of smartwatches, we are kinda dependent not only on the battery, but on model as well. This does not happen with traditional. Traditional watches are to be loved for ever, smartwatches are to be used NOW, as tomorrow these might be incompatible with the new software update. I hope u get the idea.

Suchispost

in my opinion, it's completely stupid to own only one of these categories. First of all, both have an inestimable value. If we talk about traditional watches, there is a huge story behind them and it's all about watch craftsmanship ad artistry. If it's about smartwatches, these mirror the modern world and all it's revolutionary technologies. So, their value can't be compared. the best is to own both of them for different purposes and environments.
I agree that traditional watches are more long-lasting, and I don't particularly refer to their functionality. I mainly refer to their value. I mean that if u take a traditional luxury, so it will remain up-to-date and valuable for decades to come. As for the smartwatches, the main concept will still remain valuable and always progressing, but the main model will get out-of-date very soon. an APPLEWATCH 8 will no longer be actual when the 10,11,12 versions will be available. In contrast, a PTEK PHILLIPE will never loose value. So, in terms of smartwatches, we are kinda dependent not only on the battery, but on model as well. This does not happen with traditional. Traditional watches are to be loved for ever, smartwatches are to be used NOW, as tomorrow these might be incompatible with the new software update. I hope u get the idea.
Well I AGREE BUT at the same time don't ... traditional watches actually can mirror the modern world, especially if you look at the last masterpieces that they are creating. Take for example Rolex.. the latest Chronograph Daytona is a mirror of the future and modernism. Don't forget that watches are called watches because they have to offer basic functions. The thing that is happening right now with technology like smartwatch, is to take off all the qualities from a traditional watch and to convert it is something ugly.
The sad thing about this, is that people started to forget about traditional watches due to smartwatches. If you generally look at people that use smartwatches, they actually forget about the fact that this is a watch first of all... I see a lot of them that are looking at the watch to go through apps, and when you ask them what time is it... they are looking at their phones while HAVING THE SMARTWATCH ON. So you tell me if this is ok? That's why.... that's why I hate when i use the smartwatch for a long time. i feel like I'm degrade 😬

concientE

im for both of them...
Smartwatches are in tight relation with technologies and stuff like that and I think it's kinda natural having them wades, when technology advances every other day. I embrace their functionalities and sometimes I feel like wearing a whole computer on my wrist...
What I HATE IN SMARTWATCHES is that they have a marketing strategy making you feel dependent on them and kinda obliged buying one after another, as the previous one gets out of system update. That's what I mostly dislike in them

with traditional watches, it doesn't happen. once you have one, you have it forever

Suchispost

im for both of them...
Smartwatches are in tight relation with technologies and stuff like that and I think it's kinda natural having them wades, when technology advances every other day. I embrace their functionalities and sometimes I feel like wearing a whole computer on my wrist...
What I HATE IN SMARTWATCHES is that they have a marketing strategy making you feel dependent on them and kinda obliged buying one after another, as the previous one gets out of system update. That's what I mostly dislike in them

with traditional watches, it doesn't happen. once you have one, you have it forever
Oh YEAHHHH... Jesus, I think I forgot about this one. The thing that you have always to change it and the updates. The same like smartphones, especially iPhones. You have to change it all the time. I think that I'm not that into it because of the fact that i love to collect watches. I never tried to collect smartwatches... well i have just one:D but i think it is going to be pretty difficult to do. You can collect them, but after some years they are going to be sitting there like something that you could never use again.
Think about old watches.. the only thing that you have to do is to take care of them, and regularly clean them or change some parts but that's it. So... another big win for traditional watches that you can wear as long as you want and as many years as you want without any troubles.

Sometimes I can't even believe that you can preserve a watch for 100 years and pass it on to your kids or grandkids. It is up to you how well you can take care of them. Smartwatches are good, but not for a long period of time and definitely not for those that want to collect watches.
:LOL:

CringeUser

would you please tell why so many people are against smartwatches here, and still anyone around is wearing one and is looking forward to buying the next one?????
what the sh*t r you talking about here? traditional are traditional, everything is clear with them.
but smartwatches are our present and future. the fact that they are dependent on charging and all other downsides you mentioned here are NOTHING in comparison to the benefits these have. these measure every health indexes, these replace hundreds of separate devices integrating every function possible in one single piece. It's a real computer the you wear on the wrist and you are talking about them like if they represented nothing.
what a deception of you, guys!!!!! 🤢🤢
that's technical revolution you are interacting with and you talk like these were no big deal. you got spoiled, I think.
true that these don't have much variety in design. but this is compensated with the millions of functions in it, functions that traditional watches will never have. I love traditional watches, I have lots of them. I also own smartwatches and always will.
but you, guys, seems like have forgotten how lame was the technology some decades ago and we couldn't even imagine such devices in our dreams... and now, you dont like charging, you dont like variety...😖😖😖

try to invent better yourself, wanna see your iconic fail !!

concientE

would you please tell why so many people are against smartwatches here, and still anyone around is wearing one and is looking forward to buying the next one?????
what the sh*t r you talking about here? traditional are traditional, everything is clear with them.
but smartwatches are our present and future. the fact that they are dependent on charging and all other downsides you mentioned here are NOTHING in comparison to the benefits these have. these measure every health indexes, these replace hundreds of separate devices integrating every function possible in one single piece. It's a real computer the you wear on the wrist and you are talking about them like if they represented nothing.
that's technical revolution you are interacting with and you talk like these were no big deal. you got spoiled, I think.
true that these don't have much variety in design. but this is compensated with the millions of functions in it, functions that traditional watches will never have. I love traditional watches, I have lots of them. I also own smartwatches and always will.
but you, guys, seems like have forgotten how lame was the technology some decades ago and we couldn't even imagine such devices in our dreams... and now, you dont like charging, you dont like variety...😖😖😖

owowow... calm the sprits bro
no one has been criticising smartwatches so badly, so your reaction is over-blown.. and also, the task was to share opinions, PERSONAL OPINIONS...what were you expecting? people to tell you what you wanna hear? respect pls others' opinions and keep calm, ok???

from what I concede, most people here embrace both, no one told anything destructive. they are utile, they are comfortable for the daily use and for certain tasks etc... in terms of aesthetics, traditional look better. what's bad in that???
you probably want people to respect your opinion, so be so kind an behave... after all, you're not the most educated here, considering your tone and way of communication

Suchispost

It's a technical revolution as you call it but nothing at all a watch. It can't be called a watch at all, this is what I'm talking about. Yes. it can be called everything you want but not a watch. It is a computer as you call it, but not a watch. The normal traditional watch is called a "watch" because you can use it for time, not to calculate the health of your blood or smth like this. I don't get it... i understand that this is the future and technology, but as you can see, the normal traditional watch is evolving and introducing futuristic and modern characteristics. You can call a smartwatch a smart computer, tiny smartphone, or even bracelet smartphone but not a watch. :ROFLMAO:you do everything you want with your smartwatch, except for using it as a time offering machine

KaraTisH

It's a technical revolution as you call it but nothing at all a watch. It can't be called a watch at all, this is what I'm talking about. Yes. it can be called everything you want but not a watch. It is a computer as you call it, but not a watch. The normal traditional watch is called a "watch" because you can use it for time, not to calculate the health of your blood or smth like this. I don't get it... i understand that this is the future and technology, but as you can see, the normal traditional watch is evolving and introducing futuristic and modern characteristics. You can call a smartwatch a smart computer, tiny smartphone, or even bracelet smartphone but not a watch. :ROFLMAO:you do everything you want with your smartwatch, except for using it as a time offering machine
it IS a watch, that's why it's called "smartwatch". "smart"justifies the computer in it. but the basic remains the time-indicating feature. the rest are complementary functions that simply help u in not carrying after you millions of devices like calculator, phones, and medical tools. the thing that you dont need those functions doesn't mean they are useless for all. I dont think smartwatch manufacturers invent functions that aren't necessarily errs for the end user. every function is integrated because people wanted it to be integrated. both Samsung snd apple talk to their customers and gather feedback. after the feedback, they include those features.

I dont even know why we talk this here. those who love them, wear them. those who don't, it's their decision. but saying that these are useless and aren't "watches" is stupid. how are then watches supposed to evolve in the technological era????

Suchispost

it IS a watch, that's why it's called "smartwatch". "smart"justifies the computer in it. but the basic remains the time-indicating feature. the rest are complementary functions that simply help u in not carrying after you millions of devices like calculator, phones, and medical tools. the thing that you dont need those functions doesn't mean they are useless for all. I dont think smartwatch manufacturers invent functions that aren't necessarily errs for the end user. every function is integrated because people wanted it to be integrated. both Samsung snd apple talk to their customers and gather feedback. after the feedback, they include those features.

I dont even know why we talk this here. those who love them, wear them. those who don't, it's their decision. but saying that these are useless and aren't "watches" is stupid. how are then watches supposed to evolve in the technological era????
For you is stupid to say that is not a watch, for me my darling is actually normal because it is everything except a watch.
You can do a million things with that so-called " watch" but you never use it as a watch. You put the smartphone on your wrist and you call it a watch. If I'm going to put a video camera on my wrist I'm not going to call it a smart video camera watch.
people do create something to make us go under their necessity to buy more and make them rich. Due to the existence of these watches traditional watches and not even considered normal anymore, young people don't get the beauty of it because they want this God them bullshit on their wrists. So please don't tell me what is stupid and what is not, I have a lot of experience and I have seen a lot of things.
This is not a smartwatch but is a Zombie watch!🥴