traditional watches or smartwatches?

Racrought

traditional in first place. smart- second place.
all of us perhaps have a smartwatch. it's cool, modern, digital and all kind of stuff like that. still, not so welcome as the traditional ones.
traditional 4EVER 🀩🀩
It seems like nobody cared about this too much. I think to go with this thing. Seems like we have a lot of new people here that want to enter the world of watches so we need help asap. Do you have any idea what to talk about? Maybe something that you remember creating trouble for you some time ago? Can be a helpful thing for new ones. Sometimes .. actually all the time new people don't even know what they need to know. So I need some help too.

ArnoldTHEgreat

my very subjective opinion (as im already afraid of sharing it, seeng the fight here) is that digital, non digital, all are watches. when the technological companies made smartwatches, the watch was the primary concept. ow about the one or another, both have their value. we talk about the same thing, in different terms, from what I can see.
a digital watch can never offer the mechanical beauty of a traditional watch, and vice versa, a mechanical can never have the tens of digital functions. but that's their beauty in being different and true to their period.
so we just have to embrace the both, as they both pay tribute to a specific era. traditional watches pay tribute to history, handmade craft, tradition, and generation to generation, while digitals pay tribute to the revolutionary technological era we all assistπŸ™ƒ

PpiroJookK88735

from what I know, everyone owns both types of watches. at least every person I know from my work, family, gym and friends. they have different purpose, but from what I see, smarts are used more often. synchronising them with the smartphones make them very utilitarian. when I change from my smart to the traditional one, it's like something is missing, it's like I forgot the phone home....
they create dependence in a way; traditional watches are for beauty, for keeping classic. I love the both actually

Cacktoos

I own a Apple Watch. to be honest, it seemed amazing for me at the beginning. I was using plenty of its functions, until I kinda got bored a little bit. now, the only functions I use is the apple wallet, talking by it, sometimes writing messages and tracking the steps number, once in a while. and the alarm clock, as well. so, it became not more than just an utilitarian watch for me, and the amazement has gone. I even forget to update it when it tells me to. and I'm not crazy about getting the next upgraded iteration. I think im gonna get another one only when this one is going to die.
so a smartwatch is just a watch with some digital functions for me. the truth is that im wearing it with pride just because it's an Apple, and that what actually comforts me much better the the millions of functions in it I dont use. so, that's the case when the brand name has more value than the watch itself.
I think with traditional watches happens the same. doesn't really matter the number of complications, functions, movement, and case design the way that matters the brand engraved on it. once you wear a Rolex, or a Tag Heuer, or a Vacheron and similar beauties, it makes you feel somewhat confident. and to me, traditional watches convey it better than smartwatches

Karim

oh my heavens, why is that so hard to accept that both options are relevant in modern days? I know plenty of people switching from a traditional to a smart and vice versa, only when they just get bored with one of them. nowadays we live in a world of availability. everything is easily attainable, that's why plenty of people own both types of watches
and TAHT'S ABSOLUTELY OK. why not take advantage of what technology offers nowadays and also give respect to the traditional horology?

it's like classic books and modern books. classic poetry will never die ad will always remain alive. but, this doesn't mean for modern writers that they also have to write classic literature. they write about everything and they find their target audience that likes that kind of modern literature... yes the classic one is the main pillar, but a multi-skilled person will want to have a bite from the modern literature as well. the same happens with watches...

I think smartwatches are created to be continuously replaced by newer models. one can never wear the same smartwatch as 5 years ago, because these always upgrade and possibly the smartwatch won't be compatible with your next smartphone.... on the other hand, traditional watches have much longer lifespan. My mom for example wears the same watch she wore 25 years ago, when she got it for her 45 years celebration. and the watch is a time-only accessory, and she doesn't need a new one, even if I tell her that a newer Watch has multiple functions.

these two categories of watches are different by purpose and concept, imho

Eddie

BOOOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHHH!!!! how is it generally possible to compare them?πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–

if I feel like wanting smart, I put on my smart watch, when I feel like I dont, I put on the traditional one. and there is no exact reason for this. if I think about it a bit, I put on the traditional one when I forget to charge the smart one πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

the idea is that I like to wear different things. otherwise I'm getting bored. So diversity is the first reason for which I have both types of watches. Also, functionality: sometimes, I need my smartwatch on for the reminders, work nofitications, etc. in weekends, I prefer silence, there is where the traditional watch comes under radar

DomPerignon

I have more traditional watches than smart. Actually I have only one smart. the experience of the 2 types of watches is absolutely different. the smart one keeps me up to date with everything that's happening, thanks to hundreds of notifications during the day. without wanting to, I look at the screen to see who commented on my photo on Facebook, how many steps I took, when I need to take a breather, etc... the traditional watch, of course, saves me from this of moments.

the problem is that, even if the smart watch keeps me actively up-to-date, I don't feel these regular updates are critically necessary for me.

Respectively, they become more of a distraction from work or other important activities.
As a result, a traditional watch suits me better. It keeps things simple. you only look at it when YOU need it. and does not take itself present when it should and when it should not. clearly this is just my personal case. A businessman will probably find more relevance in a smart watch, which organizes his busy day. for me, however, the traditional option aligns better with my needs and lifestyle

Preal8

I have more traditional watches than smart. Actually I have only one smart. the experience of the 2 types of watches is absolutely different. the smart one keeps me up to date with everything that's happening, thanks to hundreds of notifications during the day. without wanting to, I look at the screen to see who commented on my photo on Facebook, how many steps I took, when I need to take a breather, etc... the traditional watch, of course, saves me from this of moments.

the problem is that, even if the smart watch keeps me actively up-to-date, I don't feel these regular updates are critically necessary for me.

Respectively, they become more of a distraction from work or other important activities.
As a result, a traditional watch suits me better. It keeps things simple. you only look at it when YOU need it. and does not take itself present when it should and when it should not. clearly this is just my personal case. A businessman will probably find more relevance in a smart watch, which organizes his busy day. for me, however, the traditional option aligns better with my needs and lifestyle
i think that this is a pretty accurate thing what you said here and actually, all the controversial things about having or not having smart watches or regular watches is really weird...
i don't even know how you can ask something like, smart or traditional, these are totally two different types of watches. It is really weird for me to hear that someone is going for smartwatches... which means that he is totally into collecting smartwatches :oops: idk this seems to be really weird to hear something like this. for me a smartwatch is actually used for the functions that it can offer you related to your smartphone, it is a thing that is going to help you with work and some facilities, is not a watch and you can look at the watch the same as you look at the traditional watches. it is a totally different vibe here... idk...

MinervuS

I never cease to be amazed by this thread and its comments 😁😁😁...... so many counterarguments against smart watches...... and yet, everywhere you look, you see people wearing a smart watch 🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨...... would smb explain me why🀌🀌🀌🀌🀌🀌? at the gym- smartwatches, at the office smartwatches, in the park- smart watches....... it seems to me or we do have a lot of "storytellers" in here? 😁😁😁

Preal8

I never cease to be amazed by this thread and its comments 😁😁😁...... so many counterarguments against smart watches...... and yet, everywhere you look, you see people wearing a smart watch 🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨🀨...... would smb explain me why🀌🀌🀌🀌🀌🀌? at the gym- smartwatches, at the office smartwatches, in the park- smart watches....... it seems to me or we do have a lot of "storytellers" in here? 😁😁😁
I think that you simply didn't get the main idea of what actually they are talking about!
A lot of people here are not against smartwatches, are against going with collecting them, cause what is the point??
usually, when you get a smartwatch, you want to use it and to use the tools. Normal people are getting one smartwatch that they connect to their phone and use for a long period of time. This kind of person is changing the smartwatch because it is old or maybe because the new smartwatch has other types of functions that the person needs.
Even so, you can still see people that are questioning collecting smartwatches the same as traditional watches.. this is kind of a weird thing to do

when you put smartwatches at the same level as traditional watches and the collecting idea of them, you just create a really weird approach over traditional watches, it is like they are losing their sense..
you can't just go and say that it is the same, because it is not..
people here are looking at smartwatches the same as at smartphones.
so, you don't collect smartphones right? so what is the point in collecting smartwatches than?

DBP

i'm for both. it depends on my purpose. in general, I like to buy watches according to purpose. and for some activities, a smartwatch has no better alternative. I think this thread is nonsense. both have their point

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 13.05.21.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 13.05.21.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 0

Ocean BLUE

i'm for both. it depends on my purpose. in general, I like to buy watches according to purpose. and for some activities, a smartwatch has no better alternative. I think this thread is nonsense. both have their point
on the same page here... it seems to me that the world is too extreme and does not understand that in fact both have their meaning and purpose... it is impossible to stay at the same level... everything evolves, including horology. `smart watches are an evolutionary form of watches. the traditional ones remain valid to show us the true essence of watches. of course, the traditional ones are much more sophisticated in terms of execution. I have no doubt here. but, from the perspective of functionality, both are equally practical and necessary, depending on the circumstances

$BarHat$

people suffocate if they don't say their point of view, even if they don't believe in it themselves)

Matias

look around!!! what is the rate of people who wear traditional watches? and what is the index of those who wear smarts, including all kind of digital ones? and don't tell me that traditional ones prevail..... I don't believe in this theory, I look concretely at what is happening around. everyone likes to track their steps, receive notifications directly on their watch without taking their phone out of their pocket, or calculate their heart rate. so regardless of what you say here, smart watches are necessary tools for modern life where everything needs to be connected to the internet

Simposium5338

look around!!! what is the rate of people who wear traditional watches? and what is the index of those who wear smarts, including all kind of digital ones? and don't tell me that traditional ones prevail..... I don't believe in this theory, I look concretely at what is happening around. everyone likes to track their steps, receive notifications directly on their watch without taking their phone out of their pocket, or calculate their heart rate. so regardless of what you say here, smart watches are necessary tools for modern life where everything needs to be connected to the internet
you forgot to specify that you did the analysis on a sample of 10 people aged between 17-19!!!

smarts are really everywhere, ONLY AMONG THE YOUNG PUBLIC! teenagers are the most dedicated to smarts and digital wstches. somewhat less of these are found in the 23-27-year-old audience, and less and less with advancing age. so it is not necessary to draw conclusions based on a single target group.

Grigio

both my dears, both

you can't say which of them are more viable as both of them have their main purpose and specifics.... you choose the one to wear that mostly suits your daily needs. if you go to a dinner or family reunion, get the traditional watch, if you want to match the environment. for the gym classes or other sports, or for the daily walks, the digitals are great for managing not only the time but plenty of other functions that a traditional OE cannot incorporate. I buy both and both find their place in my small collection... besides, sometimes you're just in the mood for a digital one. other times, you are ok with something traditional because It would feel you on that day. so the dispute does not have finality only in favor of one type of watch. one is about tradition, the other is about evolution and matching the digital tendencies of the current era. therefore, both are equally valuable and have every right in co-existing. the rest is just a matter of personal preferences

CityBreak

this topic is a cursed one πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ in every watch forum it causes thousands of heated discussions πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

well, my opinion doesn't change much, but I will anyway share it to add fuel to fire πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚... both have their point. traditional watches are the essence of watchmaking, which represents the beginnings of horology as a science, horology, etc... digital ones are the answer to modern demands that revolve around the idea of globalized technology. I don't see why one of them should be removed from the equation. traditional and digital watchmaking can coexist without any problem. everyone chooses what they like more, but most will opt for both options.... at least the youth certainly have both a traditional and a digital watch

UdlinINTEL

a few years ago, I was an exclusive follower of traditional watches. but gradually, I switched more to smart ones. And here is why!

Let me be clear: I still continue to be a follower of traditional watches and I have many from this category. However, I admit that the smart ones are becoming more and more surprising. Initially, I was not very attracted to those notifications and calls on smart watches. I mean, I was not at all impressed by their functionality, apart from the fact that... they were modern. but, gradually, their functionality changed my perception. the new functions such as the measurement of blood pressure, heartbeat, glucose (to be integrated), etc... bring plenty of benefits especially for Americans. Let's face it, society has health problems that it ignores. but such a SMART watch indeed helps to control them, and possibly, prevent the aggravation of various health conditions. So, it is indeed a smart move by those who create smart watches, which I appreciate. From this perspective, they deserve all the respect and my Apple watch has a special place for me for its usability

RoyaInk

I CAN'T BELIEVE that this question is still creating debates in the communities....

these 2 types of watches cannot be compared by nature. It's like comparing the style of the 50-70s with the contemporary one. Each style has its heyday and should be appreciated as such. Both digital and traditional watches have an inestimable value. The traditional ones are more about horology in its essence. Digital ones are more about advanced technology. Both are equally valuable